Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

[quote name='dobiemom'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Indigo"]Hi Roz and everyone. I'm always lurking just don't post very often.

My sis-in-law found a nearby kennel/dog-sitting service so we took Roxie for a trial sleepover Saturday and picked her up today. She did very well. (Actually, she'll probably get spoiled if she stays longer.) Always good to have the info in advance so you can just go if necessary.

I went to Las Vegas last weekend and stayed with a GF. We went to see a "clean" comedian, [URL="http://www.henrychocomedy.com/"]Henry Cho[/URL]. He was very funny! Also won $1000 at bingo. :D It was a nice little break. :)

You know I would LOVE to cruise with you again someday, Roz. Or at least meet at the same port. ;) Unfortunately, it doesn't look like 2014 has a cruise in it for me. But 2015 has lots to choose from. Just have to wean them down to 1 or 2.

Keep all the stories coming! ;) :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I'm glad all is well. I haven't planned my 2015 cruises yet. I have to do some thinking about that. Because Morey was unable to walk much and needed a wheelchair at times, we put off going back to Switzerland. I may plan a trip there for 2015. Just me and Horty, a rental car and the Swiss Alps. We'll see.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='tgmg00a']Fairbourne, good luck with your application! Which campus? I am a GDB puppy raiser in the SF East bay. All the work volunteers do for GDB helps them turn out fantastic dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your good wishes .... we are in Scotland, but it's a very small world on here! :). With your experience, I'm sure I will be calling "help" across the pond! ;):D

[quote name='DisneyKidsDad'][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]So Davis went to his first CCI puppy workshop out on Long Island on Saturday. We found out that he is our sensitive child. He is lacking confidence and will need a little extra time to do things. Along with some high value treats like peanut butter. So we have to take thing a little slower with him.
But the good news is that CCI added a special team training class for five skilled companion teams that started today. Ocho will be in the class!! Hopefully he will match with one of the teams and find his forever home as someone's best friend and assistant. We should know if he matched with someone next Monday. If he does then they will take him home and come back for the regular graduation in May. That's when we will get to see him and his new family. It's hard to type with all my fingers crossed.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]You did it, you really did it Ocho. I'm so proud of you. I hope you match with someone and get to have a true "working" forever home. I'm going to cross all that I've got too! I know your Dad wouldn't mind having you as a pet, but I think you'll be a great worker, I wish you the very best of luck!

Davis, you sweet , sweet boy. There's nothing better than a sensitive loving partner. You'll be fine. You just need some extra nudging to get through your training process and with your human families love, you'll be perfect![/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='fairbourne']Well, after much thought and serious discussions with the DH, and of course, most importantly and hugely inspired by all my great cyber "doggie pals" on here - I have decided to apply to be a puppy walker for Guide Dogs for the Blind.

The forms are filled in and sent back, so I have to now wait and see what happens after they check us out, get references etc. and if we are then deemed suitable, we will have an interview, home check etc.

I wanted to share this with you as I am so excited that I can maybe do this! And you can all live through the process with me! ;):eek:

I will let you know how I (we!) get on! :)

Wish me luck!!![/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]You sweet, sweet lady. I knew I loved you. You're going to be doing a wonderful thing for those who need it the most. How wonderful. I'm wishing you the very best of luck. I know they'll love you as much as we do. You'll be the best puppy walker they have. We'll cheer you on every step of the way!

What does a "puppy walker" do? Is it different than a "puppy raiser?"[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='wizard-of-roz'][COLOR="Indigo"][B]You sweet, sweet lady. I knew I loved you. You're going to be doing a wonderful thing for those who need it the most. How wonderful. I'm wishing you the very best of luck. I know they'll love you as much as we do. You'll be the best puppy walker they have. We'll cheer you on every step of the way!

What does a "puppy walker" do? Is it different than a "puppy raiser?"[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Thank you so much Roz! It's such early days and we may not even be accepted! I hummed and hehed about saying anything to you all, but I just knew if I didn't I would be in big trouble when the news came out! LOL!!!!!

I'm sure "puppy walker" and "puppy raiser" are exactly the same role - just be you Americans wanting a different word for it!!! Oh dear now I AM going to be in trouble! hee hee HEE!

I will always remember on my very first visit to Houston, many years ago when I was still quite a naive young lady, and a visit to the pet shop where I bought a "cat house", a rather nifty decorated box that covered the cat litter tray with the words CAT HOUSE in big bold letters along the sides. I has never seem anything like this at home, so I thought it would make a nice present for my cat. Of course, I had no idea that "cat house" had a rather more shall we say, interesting, meaning! So, there I was walking back from the mall to my hotel, I know another unusual occurrence in Houston, carrying this box, and was stopped by a police car and the officer asked me where I was going. My palms were sweating, my throat dry, as I had only ever seen American policemen with their guns (!!!!) on the TV before this encounter and I wondered what on earth I had done. Well, of course as soon as I opened my mouth, the officer laughed and said to his colleague, "she has no idea, let's give her a ride to the hotel". They explained to me what the message on the box (that I was happily swinging around as I strolled along!) could be interpreted as, so yours truly was driven back, some 300 yards or so to the hotel, and was very glad of it. How my American friends laughed and laughed ... With a few OMGs or as the lovely Nancy would say OMDs!!! :D Edited by fairbourne

no service dog here, but always wondered how well it worked out. read the first few pages and few random ones throughout and enjoyed the posts. didn't come across any for service dogs in training, how does that work out? ever have issues? raised a guide puppy as a kid and always had issues in public places even with paperwork from a legitimate organization.

[quote name='fairbourne']I will always remember on my very first visit to Houston, many years ago when I was still quite a naive young lady, and a visit to the pet shop where I bought a "cat house", a rather nifty decorated box that covered the cat litter tray with the words CAT HOUSE in big bold letters along the sides. I has never seem anything like this at home, so I thought it would make a nice present for my cat. Of course, I had no idea that "cat house" had a rather more shall we say, interesting, meaning! So, there I was walking back from the mall to my hotel, I know another unusual occurrence in Houston, carrying this box, and was stopped by a police car and the officer asked me where I was going. My palms were sweating, my throat dry, as I had only ever seen American policemen with their guns (!!!!) on the TV before this encounter and I wondered what on earth I had done. Well, of course as soon as I opened my mouth, the officer laughed and said to his colleague, "she has no idea, let's give her a ride to the hotel". They explained to me what the message on the box (that I was happily swinging around as I strolled along!) could be interpreted as, so yours truly was driven back, some 300 yards or so to the hotel, and was very glad of it. How my American friends laughed and laughed ... With a few OMGs or as the lovely Nancy would say OMDs!!! :D[/QUOTE]
[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]OMD that is TOO funny! :D :D :D
Good luck on your puppy walker application. And thank you. :) [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Welcome to all the newcomers! I do not have a service dog and this group has embraced and put up with me for years! Just follow our antics and I promise you will be entertained and heart broken right along with us.

Fairbourne: That is so pawsome! I am not sure I would have the energy to take care of a rambunctious little one. Although there was an add, local, for Labrador pups. Told hubby and he did not respond. A little while later he said, "Did you call that lady about the pup?" I told him "No". We currently do not have any provisions for pup or cat sitters. Our vet does it. BUT, they have limited space and safe spots for pups coming in for surgery. Also, they have no fenced area to let the pups out to run or play. All leash walks for potts and everything. The only other place is 88 miles away. I would take them there if were going on a cruise or long vacation. Wouldn't mind the drive for the peace of mind.

DKD: You better be hiding Davis. I bet Antie Roz and Antie Nancy could be on your door step faster than you think. What a cutie pie. Congrats on Ocho. I just know he will find his furever person to take care of.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='DisneyKidsDad'][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]This was taken a few weeks ago. We went to the boardwalk to see the Polar Bear Plunge.

[IMG]http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv260/Disneykidsdad/11406a0b-39d5-4ad7-bcc2-8abc36c90551.jpg[/IMG]

Davis - Aunty Nancy is right, you are growing up to be such a handsome chap, and sitting so well - but you do look a wee bit worried - maybe it was all those Polar bears! ;):eek::D

[quote name='fairbourne']Thank you so much Roz! It's such early days and we may not even be accepted! I hummed and hehed about saying anything to you all, but I just knew if I didn't I would be in big trouble when the news came out! LOL!!!!!

I'm sure "puppy walker" and "puppy raiser" are exactly the same role - just be you Americans wanting a different word for it!!! Oh dear now I AM going to be in trouble! hee hee HEE!

I will always remember on my very first visit to Houston, many years ago when I was still quite a naive young lady, and a visit to the pet shop where I bought a "cat house", a rather nifty decorated box that covered the cat litter tray with the words CAT HOUSE in big bold letters along the sides. I has never seem anything like this at home, so I thought it would make a nice present for my cat. Of course, I had no idea that "cat house" had a rather more shall we say, interesting, meaning! So, there I was walking back from the mall to my hotel, I know another unusual occurrence in Houston, carrying this box, and was stopped by a police car and the officer asked me where I was going. My palms were sweating, my throat dry, as I had only ever seen American policemen with their guns (!!!!) on the TV before this encounter and I wondered what on earth I had done. Well, of course as soon as I opened my mouth, the officer laughed and said to his colleague, "she has no idea, let's give her a ride to the hotel". They explained to me what the message on the box (that I was happily swinging around as I strolled along!) could be interpreted as, so yours truly was driven back, some 300 yards or so to the hotel, and was very glad of it. How my American friends laughed and laughed ... With a few OMGs or as the lovely Nancy would say OMDs!!! :D[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Well, a "puppy walker" infers that you're going to walk the dog, only. I'm so happy for you and that lucky little pup. I hope that all goes well for you.

Your "cathouse" story is too funny![/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='Theredofshaw']no service dog here, but always wondered how well it worked out. read the first few pages and few random ones throughout and enjoyed the posts. didn't come across any for service dogs in training, how does that work out? ever have issues? raised a guide puppy as a kid and always had issues in public places even with paperwork from a legitimate organization.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Of course there's issues with the "dog in training", you think they get off any easier than we do? There's more "ooh's and aah's" from the public because they're so darn cute though! And, the public place can refuse you entrance.

A puppy in training doesn't have the same rights as a fully trained Service/Working Dog onboard a cruise ship, unless they're with a group. You can not bring a "Dog in Training" on your cruise with you. It's clearly stated in the Princess Contract that I'm asked to sign, before I board the ship.[/B][/COLOR] Edited by wizard-of-roz

[quote name='DisneyKidsDad'][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]This was taken a few weeks ago. We went to the boardwalk to see the Polar Bear Plunge.

[IMG]http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv260/Disneykidsdad/11406a0b-39d5-4ad7-bcc2-8abc36c90551.jpg[/IMG]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Davis, consider yourself so lucky that you don't live near Auntie Roz because I'd be taking huge bites out of you. You are the handsomist little man I've ever seen![/B][/COLOR] Edited by wizard-of-roz

[quote name='S.S. Cruisers'][SIZE="3"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Welcome to all the newcomers! I do not have a service dog and this group has embraced and put up with me for years! Just follow our antics and I promise you will be entertained and heart broken right along with us.

Fairbourne: That is so pawsome! I am not sure I would have the energy to take care of a rambunctious little one. Although there was an add, local, for Labrador pups. Told hubby and he did not respond. A little while later he said, "Did you call that lady about the pup?" I told him "No". We currently do not have any provisions for pup or cat sitters. Our vet does it. BUT, they have limited space and safe spots for pups coming in for surgery. Also, they have no fenced area to let the pups out to run or play. All leash walks for potts and everything. The only other place is 88 miles away. I would take them there if were going on a cruise or long vacation. Wouldn't mind the drive for the peace of mind.

DKD: You better be hiding Davis. I bet Antie Roz and Antie Nancy could be on your door step faster than you think. What a cutie pie. Congrats on Ocho. I just know he will find his furever person to take care of.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Nancy, you sure do know how Auntie Roz thinks. Isn't he the cutest. I love that little pudgy face........Yum, yum kisses for him all day!!!!!![/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='fairbourne']Davis - Aunty Nancy is right, you are growing up to be such a handsome chap, and sitting so well - but you do look a wee bit worried - maybe it was all those Polar bears! ;):eek::D[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I just love how his cheeks don't fit into his "gentle leader!" He's hanging over it! Love him so much!!!!![/B][/COLOR]

DisneyKidsDad, thanks for the latest of Davis! Such a cute little guy!

I have one photo of Raylene given to me by her Guide Dogs for the Blind puppy raiser (she changed careers to Dogs for the Deaf), wearing the "gentle leader" and a Reindeer headband with a mortified look on her face.

You puppy raisers are my heros!

DisneyKidsDad, thanks for the latest of Davis! Such a cute little guy!

I have one photo of Raylene given to me by her Guide Dogs for the Blind puppy raiser (she changed careers to Dogs for the Deaf), wearing the "gentle leader" and a Reindeer headband with a mortified look on her face.

You puppy raisers are my heros!

They're the hero's of all the organizations. What they do is so selfless. I can't imagine handing over a beautiful pup that I had spent so much of myself and my families time with. I would become so attached, I just know it! :(

Hello Everyone!!! Rich and I are getting really excited about our cruise in April!! Flying into LA on 4/15 and sailing on the Island Princess in the 16th. 15 days of bliss:D Rich's first vacation in five years. My last vacation was the cruise with Roz and Brenny on the Sapphire. That was a treat.

Bruce is now 10 months old and quite the handsome boy. He is excelling in public venues. Some of his advance commands need a little work, but, overall he is right on track for graduation in about 8 more months. Rich is enjoying a more involved role this time around. And boy does Bruce love his "dad" when I bring him home.

Tempted to stalk Cooler at her home in Pasadena when we are in LA but won't break the rules. I do see pictures of her and I know she loves her forever person.

Rich has really been making huge strides the past six months. I don't even think we will take the wheelchair with us on this cruise. Woo Hoo!!

Hello Everyone!!! Rich and I are getting really excited about our cruise in April!! Flying into LA on 4/15 and sailing on the Island Princess in the 16th. 15 days of bliss:D Rich's first vacation in five years. My last vacation was the cruise with Roz and Brenny on the Sapphire. That was a treat.

Bruce is now 10 months old and quite the handsome boy. He is excelling in public venues. Some of his advance commands need a little work, but, overall he is right on track for graduation in about 8 more months. Rich is enjoying a more involved role this time around. And boy does Bruce love his "dad" when I bring him home.

Tempted to stalk Cooler at her home in Pasadena when we are in LA but won't break the rules. I do see pictures of her and I know she loves her forever person.

Rich has really been making huge strides the past six months. I don't even think we will take the wheelchair with us on this cruise. Woo Hoo!!

Hello Sunshine! That's great news that you're all doing so well. I wish you both a wonderful, relaxing cruise, to be spoilt and enjoy the ocean! :D

Delighted also to hear Bruce is doing so well .... :)

Keep your fingers crossed everyone----we are on a list of 15 for the newest release dog from CCI. They choose different now, so we might not get this one either.

Hope everyone is happy and doing great.

Have a great cruise fairbourne and nice to hear all is going well for both of you.

Have a great day everyone.

Trudy

Hello Sunshine! That's great news that you're all doing so well. I wish you both a wonderful, relaxing cruise, to be spoilt and enjoy the ocean! :D

Delighted also to hear Bruce is doing so well .... :)

Uh! Oh! Who's Bruce? You better not be getting Sunshine in trouble......:eek:

Ahhh! Sunshine, you sure earned this one! I'm thrilled that your DH is doing so well! Life sure can take us on some bumpy rides!

Bruce knows good people when he meets them!

I, like you, know that Cooler is doing amazingly well, look at the start she had in life.

Keep your fingers crossed everyone----we are on a list of 15 for the newest release dog from CCI. They choose different now, so we might not get this one either.

Have a great cruise fairbourne and nice to hear all is going well for both of you.

Trudy

Trudy, I'm so excited for you. I hope it works out. I'm a very firm believer that we get the dog that was meant "to be" specifically for us....be it a worker or a "released dog!" Don't be discouraged or disappointed if you have to wait.......there's a reason....believe in the "reason!"

Look what happened to Dean Koontz and his dog Trixie.....his wife and he waited and waited until a "released" dog was given to them....and, the rest of Trixie's story can be found in books about her that Dean couldn't stop writing. Their Foundation; the campus at Oceanside CA, and so many other places you won't find his name without Trixie attached.

I can't wait until you get yours! And, then you'll be telling so many wonderful stories!

Trudy

Trudy - I'm sure you meant your good wishes for Sunshine! :). I'll keep my, well everything crossed for you - as Roz says, what's meant for you won't go by you! But I'm excited to hear that you get your dog! :D

Our Scottish government is looking to introduce microchipping all dogs and a reintroduction of dog licences. This has come about due to a number of attacks on dogs by dangerous loose/ stray dogs. A guide dog working with a blind person was attacked a couple of years ago by a dangerous dog and suffered serious injuries, but they were unable to track the owner of the dangerous dog. So I think this is a good move - our two are microchipped and our cats are, but it is not mandatory at the moment.

But I expect like everything else, there will be those who think the law doesn't apply to them! :rolleyes: