Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

We will be cruising via HAL April 2014. We are hoping to go ashore in Curacao and Aruba.

Is there anyone out there who can advise what we need. The dog has all shots, certificate and microchip.

Thanks

Have you contacted the Special Access/Needs Department of Holland America - 1-877-724-5425

They should be able to give you the exact information that you need for taking your Service Dog ashore on the various islands that you will be visiting.

Since your cruise is right around the corner and some of these islands may require that you fax them all your information prior to your arrival, you will need to start asking your good questions of HAL ASAP.

Your Vet may also have the information you need.

I have not taken my dogs to either port.

We will be cruising via HAL April 2014. We are hoping to go ashore in Curacao and Aruba.

Is there anyone out there who can advise what we need. The dog has all shots, certificate and microchip.

Thanks

Great suggestion, thanks. We just booked a last minute deal so you are right, very short time.

Thanks

Great suggestion, thanks. We just booked a last minute deal so you are right, very short time.

Thanks

One day, I will do exactly what you're doing. Right now, because I have a job that requires that I'm here certain times of the year, I can't take advantage of great deals and go cruising at my whim! I love the idea though!

I have to book 9 months to a year in advance, it does pretty much guarantee that I get the cabin I want but it sure is a long wait.

The anticipation of the cruise, for me, has become part of the fun experience.

I know that speaking directly to the Special Needs departments of the various cruise lines is the best way to get your access issues solved. The worst that can happen is they won't let you enter the port [get off the ship] with your dog. We've taken turns and one of us stays back with the dog.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

Hello I am new to this forum. I just have a question for my other cruisers. I have traveled before with my service dog on the short 5 day carnival cruises. But in a few months I will be going on the Carnival Magic 7 day cruise to Cozumel Mexico Grand cayman and Montego Bay ,Jamaica I know we can get off in grand cayman and Mexico we didn't have a issue in Mexico. Do any of you guys have experience in Jamaica or possibly have a umber or email I can contact to see what forms I will need from my vet any information will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello I am new to this forum. I just have a question for my other cruisers. I have traveled before with my service dog on the short 5 day carnival cruises. But in a few months I will be going on the Carnival Magic 7 day cruise to Cozumel Mexico Grand cayman and Montego Bay ,Jamaica I know we can get off in grand cayman and Mexico we didn't have a issue in Mexico. Do any of you guys have experience in Jamaica or possibly have a umber or email I can contact to see what forms I will need from my vet any information will be greatly appreciated.

breannaah; Welcome. Please call Carnival Guest Access Services at: 1-800-438-6744 Ext: 70025. They will help you with all the paperwork that you need.

You've cruised before so you know that the ports you will be visiting don't have "leash laws" and they do have dogs that roam the streets.....be very careful with your Service Dog.

A 7 day cruise is so much fun and those extra 2 days really give you a chance to truly enjoy yourself. When are you going? Did you give yourself enough time to get all your paperwork or are you one of those lucky folks who can cruise at the drop of a hat [or an anchor!]

Thank you very much yes we had a couple stray dogs in Mexico luckily they stayed clear of her!! Thank you for your help

You are so welcome. Please come back to us and tell us all about your cruise. We love hearing news from the cruise. [Hey, what a good name for a blog!]

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hopefully I will be corrected if I'm wrong but I recall reading a post here from maybe it was Quampapetet that she was told that when they were docked in Jamaica, that she wasn't even allowed to have her service dog on deck. So there was no way she was allowed to take her dog off the ship. Like I said, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hopefully I will be corrected if I'm wrong but I recall reading a post here from maybe it was Quampapetet that she was told that when they were docked in Jamaica, that she wasn't even allowed to have her service dog on deck. So there was no way she was allowed to take her dog off the ship. Like I said, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I seem to remember that too! But, I say "poohshaw"; I dare a cruise line to tell me that I can't bring my dog out on the deck with me at anytime while I'm onboard. You know, I'll be the first one out and about if they ever do so! Your dog should "never" leave your side.

The first thing "breanaah" or anyone else should do if they're cruising to a port that they're not familiar with is to ask the Special Needs Department if there will be any limitations placed upon you while onboard with your dog.

Remember, it's not the dog that's protected by the ADA and Federal law it's YOU! Your dog is a facilitator that allows you to live a more "normal" life. I call Horty the "engine" that runs my machine and keeps my brain in motion!

Jamaica does not allow any service dogs off the ship.

Jamaica does not allow any service dogs off the ship.

Never been there......but, I would still take my dog on the deck of the ship and look out at all the Jamaicans and tell them how sorry I am that they missed me and Horty!

Cindy, did either one of you go off without Wexy into Jamaica.?

Never been there......but, I would still take my dog on the deck of the ship and look out at all the Jamaicans and tell them how sorry I am that they missed me and Horty!

Cindy, did either one of you go off without Wexy into Jamaica.?

We did not go there with Wex. We only went once to Ocho Rios and it was gross. The dock stunk like rotten milk. I have never heard that you cannot bring your dog on the deck. That is ridiculous and kind of crazy.

She sure does have a great face! Wonderful photo. Hope you will have a great cruise!

Oh! Raylene you beautiful girl. You, Wexy and Horty would sure make a great picture. Such handsome dogs. I'm so proud of how handsome Horton is. I love going out into the public and showing him off! The salmon oil does such wonders on his skin and coat.

Nothing like a Black Lab that looks like shiny velvet!

Quam, how's your girls treatments going?

Fairbourne, where are you?

Nancy, hope all is well.

Everyone, have a wonderful Sunday. We're going to be close to 90 degrees here in L.A.

Hello everyone, just catching up with a week's worth of news! We had visitors, so somehow you just never get a minute to yourself:rolleyes:! I do love having people round, but as soon as they're here with all their stuff, your house is never the same till they leave! That sounds terrible doesn't it, but I'm sure you know what I mean! lol!

So where to start .... Well Boy Dog, has to lose 10 kilos as you know, so we went for our first weigh in on Friday - he has lost almost one kilo! Well done that boy! Girl dog refusing point blank to eat the same food as him, she doesn't need to lose anything, so she's now back on her favourite and he's quite happy with his weight loss kibble. I haven't cut down all their treats, hey they need to enjoy their life too, just like us, but they don't get so much, and it's working as they were very happy with his loss at the Vet.

Roz - this photo is for you from "Boy Dog". Max! Xxx. My DH is convinced he is crossed with a Shetland pony!

image.jpg.9566f3f2709e1ec2361ea3d02a079ba6.jpg

That's the one BIG problem we are having with Davis. He refuses to cradle. When we try to put him on his back, his eyes roll back in his head and he gets as stiff as a board. The last time I tried, he peed on me. :mad: We put it in our puppy report last week and are still waiting for a call from one of the trainers for some help.

Oh DKD, I'm sorry but I burst out laughing when I read this hee hee hee! :eek:

I'm going to try those rice cakes. My Dogs for the Deaf trainer suggested adding Cheerios (along with the goodies like Zukes training treats) for rewards to help keep the weight down.

Yesterday, I took Raylene into PetSmart (big mistake - WAY too much stimulation going on for novice handler me to deal with), and took her right back out again. To distract her, I was alternating some of the Zukes with Cheerios for a sit-stay, and she promptly spit the Cheerios out!

Caribbean Chris - Raylene is just gorgeous, these black girls are just so beautiful with their shiny coats. Does she have the curly wave down her back?

Thank you very much yes we had a couple stray dogs in Mexico luckily they stayed clear of her!! Thank you for your help

She has a lovely face .... She looks like she wouldn't mind a hug or two, a kind soul. :)

Edited by fairbourne