Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thanks to ALL for your very kind words of welcome. Roz, you brought a lump to my throat. A journal is a great idea!

My Hearing Dog application is with Dogs for the Deaf in Oregon. I became aware of them through the Good Sam Club, which is one of their regular donor groups. Good Sam is a large RVing organization and most of my current writing is about RV destinations around the US and Canada.

I'm so encouraged to connect with all of you.

I told my husband about the story when he got home last night. He said that the press release from the airline is that the dog was in the aisle. If that was the case, I can understand. There is probably more going on than what was in the link I posted. As the saying goes, there are three sides to every story. Mine, yours and the truth.

I told my husband about the story when he got home last night. He said that the press release from the airline is that the dog was in the aisle. If that was the case, I can understand. There is probably more going on than what was in the link I posted. As the saying goes, there are three sides to every story. Mine, yours and the truth.

Wexler would be restless if we sat on the tarmac for 2 hours. I'm sure he would be up multiple times too.

Do all of you put your dogs under the seat? We always get the bulkhead and he lays in front of us. He's 72lbs and all legs, so I don't think he would fit under any seat.

Wexler would be restless if we sat on the tarmac for 2 hours. I'm sure he would be up multiple times too.

Do all of you put your dogs under the seat? We always get the bulkhead and he lays in front of us. He's 72lbs and all legs, so I don't think he would fit under any seat.

Orson is able to go part way under the seats in front of us. Even with the bulkhead seats, on some planes there is the last row of first class seats. That's how we flew for six hours to Vancouver in July.

OMG! Thanks for sharing this. It's very difficult for our dogs to maintain that "down/stay" onboard an airplane. Their ears do what ours do and to get comfortable sometimes they need to move their heads and reposition themselves.

The FA was a moron at best! I wish I could have met her! :rolleyes:

Thanks to ALL for your very kind words of welcome. Roz, you brought a lump to my throat. A journal is a great idea!

My Hearing Dog application is with Dogs for the Deaf in Oregon. I became aware of them through the Good Sam Club, which is one of their regular donor groups. Good Sam is a large RVing organization and most of my current writing is about RV destinations around the US and Canada.

I'm so encouraged to connect with all of you.

I know you've found a wonderful organization. But, why don't you put in a second application to Canine Companions for Independence [as DKD suggested.]. 707-577-1700 - http://www.cci.org. It can't hurt and if they happen to respond the fastest, I promise you, you won't be sorry or disappointed.

Their main office and where they do all their Hearing Dog work is in Santa Rosa, CA. When you're accepted for their program you would stay in one of their dorm rooms, they're absolutely lovely, with a huge kitchen, rec. room, laundry facilities and grounds that equal a 5 Star Hotel. You can take a tour of their grounds and check-out their program by just calling them. I was shocked and amazed at how organized and beautiful it was. It made me wish that I was a CCI dog! Since Charles Shultz and his wife Jean were so instrumental, in the mid 1970's, in helping to fund CCI there's a huge statue of Peanuts as you enter.

Stay connected with us and keep us in the loop of your journey. We'll be "there" for you, every step of the way and will help welcome your new fur-partner into your life!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I'm sure there is. But, come on, did the airline think that creating such a "storm" with a blind man and his wonderful dog was ever going to look good in their favor. Seriously!

Maybe the dog was in the way, maybe the FA over reacted, maybe the man's response was over-the-top defensive.......but, that's how we get when it comes to our dogs. They're innocent [like a 2 year old child] and we're their champions-Every single time!

The other passengers were wonderful, but they didn't have much of a choice when the pilot said, "this flight is over!" [maybe not his exact words but he is the final say.]

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Even Brenda, who's a pure English Lab [much shorter than Horty] at 60lbs couldn't fit under my seat. She sat, in bulkhead under my legs.

Sometimes her face would wind-up in the aisle and she'd be looking down the seats at what everyone's legs were doing and sometimes, she'd get up and stretch and move around. The flight attendants were wonderful.

When it came to getting off the plane, we waited for everyone else because there was so much maneuvering to do, we'd take-up too much time. And, no kidding, every single person patted her on the head as they left the plane. It was so adorable to see and I didn't stop them.

Horton is all legs just like Wexy, he's so uncomfortable on air flights, long train rides, taxi's and buses.

Finding a good seat, in the buffet, onboard a cruise is tough too! I always look for a seat against a wall or window so that I can protect his legs from getting stepped on!

I know you've found a wonderful organization. But, why don't you put in a second application to Canine Companions for Independence [as DKD suggested.]. 707-577-1700 - www.cci.org. It can't hurt and if they happen to respond the fastest, I promise you, you won't be sorry or disappointed.

Their main office and where they do all their Hearing Dog work is in Santa Rosa, CA. When you're accepted for their program you would stay in one of their dorm rooms, they're absolutely lovely, with a huge kitchen, rec. room, laundry facilities and grounds that equal a 5 Star Hotel. You can take a tour of their grounds and check-out their program by just calling them. I was shocked and amazed at how organized and beautiful it was. It made me wish that I was a CCI dog! Since Charles Shultz and his wife Jean were so instrumental, in the mid 1970's, in helping to fund CCI there's a huge statue of Peanuts as you enter.

Stay connected with us and keep us in the loop of your journey. We'll be "there" for you, every step of the way and will help welcome your new fur-partner into your life!

And if your familiar with the author, Dean Koontz, he donates about a million dollars a year to CCI. In fact, at Friday's graduation in Santa Rosa, he presented CCI with a check for $750,000!!

And if your familiar with the author, Dean Koontz, he donates about a million dollars a year to CCI. In fact, at Friday's graduation in Santa Rosa, he presented CCI with a check for $750,000!!

You know, I never read his books until I got Brenda in 2002 and found out all that he did for CCI and his connection to "Trixie", his released Service Dog. What a great guy......he loves CCI as much as we do!

Now, I go to Amazon to buy his books. And, I suggest that my friends do the same.

Also, I know we have quite a few pages in our thread but if anyone who's reading this and considering getting a Service Dog goes back in our writings you'll find so many wonderful stories, such as:

Cindy & John's story of when they lost their wonderful Rangely & Bailee and first applied to CCI for Wexler, their journey through Team Training and John's graduation.

You'll read about DisneyKidsDad and Orson [his daughter's Service Dog] and becoming a PuppyRaiser and sending Ocho

You'll read my story about getting my Successor Dog, Horton, after working with Brenda for over 10 years.

You'll read Karen's story [sunshine] who works with an org. in Georgia and how she assists in helping with the puppies.

You'll read Cari's story [Denver sees for me] about how her and her Seeing Eye Dog Denver go through life onboard cruises-she now has a Successor Dog named Dodger.

You'll read about Nancy [sSCruiser] and her loss of her Lab Reno. Nancy doesn't have a Service Dog but encourages and stays with us. Just like Kathi [Latitude 20]

As well as Marcia, [DobieMom], who's actually cruised with me and Fairbourne, who writes all the way from Scotland.

You'll read about Barbara and her loss of her amazing little "Valentine". And Beckie [insuregal] who's daughter Diana has Gibson, and CJborne2, and Colleen [MCDW] who had to give up Oz so that she could get a Successer Dog, Misty.

Now there's Caribbean Chris who is on the waiting list for a Hearing Dog and we get to watch and read what happens. There's Clopaw who's husband has a Guidedog named Avanti, there's Trudy [Trudle] who's cruised with Cindy, John and Wexy and adds so much to us.

If I didn't mention you please come back and remind us who you are and tell us how you're doing.

Even Brenda, who's a pure English Lab [much shorter than Horty] at 60lbs couldn't fit under my seat. She sat, in bulkhead under my legs.

Sometimes her face would wind-up in the aisle and she'd be looking down the seats at what everyone's legs were doing and sometimes, she'd get up and stretch and move around. The flight attendants were wonderful.

When it came to getting off the plane, we waited for everyone else because there was so much maneuvering to do, we'd take-up too much time. And, no kidding, every single person patted her on the head as they left the plane. It was so adorable to see and I didn't stop them.

Horton is all legs just like Wexy, he's so uncomfortable on air flights, long train rides, taxi's and buses.

Finding a good seat, in the buffet, onboard a cruise is tough too! I always look for a seat against a wall or window so that I can protect his legs from getting stepped on!

We always get the bulkhead with the 3 seats. Wex has plenty of room, but of course he wants to lay infront of me so I usually end up in some contorted position. :eek: They always put John on first so Wex likes checking out all the people that come on.

On the ship, we have found a table near the stairway to the downstairs dining room where Wex is up against the wall to the stairs. It's the perfect table. I have already requested it for our cruise in Feb. These leggy dogs are tough. We are always worried someone will step in his legs or tail.

You know, I never read his books until I got Brenda in 2002 and found out all that he did for CCI and his connection to "Trixie", his released Service Dog. What a great guy......he loves CCI as much as we do!

Now, I go to Amazon to buy his books. And, I suggest that my friends do the same.

Way to go Koontz family!!!! I have never read any of his books either.

Also, I know we have quite a few pages in our thread but if anyone who's reading this and considering getting a Service Dog goes back in our writings you'll find so many wonderful stories, such as:

Cindy & John's story of when they lost their wonderful Rangely & Bailee and first applied to CCI for Wexler, their journey through Team Training and John's graduation.

You'll read about DisneyKidsDad and Orson [his daughter's Service Dog] and becoming a PuppyRaiser and sending Ocho

You'll read my story about getting my Successor Dog, Horton, after working with Brenda for over 10 years.

You'll read Karen's story [sunshine] who works with an org. in Georgia and how she assists in helping with the puppies.

You'll read Cari's story [Denver sees for me] about how her and her Seeing Eye Dog Denver go through life onboard cruises-she now has a Successor Dog named Dodger.

You'll read about Nancy [sSCruiser] and her loss of her Lab Reno. Nancy doesn't have a Service Dog but encourages and stays with us. Just like Kathi [Latitude 20]

As well as Marcia, [DobieMom], who's actually cruised with me and Fairbourne, who writes all the way from Scotland.

You'll read about Barbara and her loss of her amazing little "Valentine". And Beckie [insuregal] who's daughter Diana has Gibson, and CJborne2, and Colleen [MCDW] who had to give up Oz so that she could get a Successer Dog, Misty.

Now there's Caribbean Chris who is on the waiting list for a Hearing Dog and we get to watch and read what happens. There's Clopaw who's husband has a Guidedog named Avanti, there's Trudy [Trudle] who's cruised with Cindy, John and Wexy and adds so much to us.

If I didn't mention you please come back and remind us who you are and tell us how you're doing.

We couldn't ask for a better group. Besides our separate lives we seem to come together as one big happy family (of misfits ;)). I have learned so much about everyone and about myself. And of course, cruising!! I could have not and would not have cruised with our service dog if it wasn't for this thread. Thank you so much Roz for starting this. Now I am here to help people going on cruises with their dogs. We all have our areas of expertise and between all of us we can usually give people the right information. Plus I have had the pleasure of meeting DKD, Trudy and Ocean wench who found me in the roll calls. We also met a hp couple on one cruise and they loved Wexler so much they went home and applied for their own dog. I would be lost without all of you. :D

We always get the bulkhead with the 3 seats. Wex has plenty of room, but of course he wants to lay infront of me so I usually end up in some contorted position. :eek: They always put John on first so Wex likes checking out all the people that come on.

On the ship, we have found a table near the stairway to the downstairs dining room where Wex is up against the wall to the stairs. It's the perfect table. I have already requested it for our cruise in Feb. These leggy dogs are tough. We are always worried someone will step in his legs or tail.

Me too! And, Horton squeals like a piggy when he gets stepped on!

We couldn't ask for a better group. Besides our separate lives we seem to come together as one big happy family (of misfits ;)). I have learned so much about everyone and about myself. And of course, cruising!! I could have not and would not have cruised with our service dog if it wasn't for this thread. Thank you so much Roz for starting this. Now I am here to help people going on cruises with their dogs. We all have our areas of expertise and between all of us we can usually give people the right information. Plus I have had the pleasure of meeting DKD, Trudy and Ocean wench who found me in the roll calls. We also met a hp couple on one cruise and they loved Wexler so much they went home and applied for their own dog. I would be lost without all of you. :D

Amazing Cindy. I, too, look for you guys, almost everyday. I really share in everyone's triumphs and losts. I wonder if Cruise Critic has ever had such a group before. We are unique, that's for sure.

I truly enjoy my cruising more with all of your support. One day we will have to plan a CC Cruise.