Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thanks, Roz! I'm glad to have the encouragement.

By the way Horty Presley's enlarged photo shows the cape, too, a definite must to convey the complete transformation! So funny.

Have a fabulous cruise Chris. I wish you and Raylene a truly enjoyable cruise experience.

Horton was such a good sport with that costume. He's a wonderful dog with a heightened sense of devotion and awareness to making me happy! I ALWAYS want the best for him! We're a great partnership in that regard!

Wexler looks adorable if somewhat mortified, such a typical Lab-like look!

The chunky black Lab that used to live next door showed up some years ago on Halloween as a Lady Bug and we loved it! Little did we know back then we would someday have a special Lab in our lives.

Now, why the heck did your words make me get teary?

"Chunky Lab" - "Special Lab"........I'm missing my Brenny this week and the tears are coming very easy.

I miss her so.......

We were invited to the Guide Dogs training centre at Forfar which is where Madame Aruba will go for her formal training when she leaves us. I was really keen to go as we had never been before and I was anxious to see what the facilities were like. Especially as she will go from a home environment to kennels!

There were about 30 people there, all fellow puppy walkers or puppy boarders. We met some of the key people there: trainers, welfare people, admin. Almost right away I felt happy with the calm, extremely happy atmosphere in the building and the warmth coming from these people. We had presentations on the history of guide dogs, their breeding programme (they tend to favour lab/retriever cross, but are now looking at German Shepard/retriever cross - giving the strength and commitment of the GS with the willingness and more gentle side of the retrievers. So a perfect combination in the way you also get a great mix with the lab "gung ho" approach to life with the more "oooh what's happening" think it through of the retriever.)

Pure retrievers are beautiful to look at, but can be a real pain to train as they are very stubborn (I see that in Aruba when she doesn't really want to do something, she can literally dig her retriever paws in!).

I was interested to see where the dogs live, so we were shown their kennels. Now I imagined kennels like the sort you have at boarding kennels where there is a long row with an inside sleeping arrangement and a small outside run. Not here. The kennels are large pens all inside in a large area, about the size of a gymnasium. The dogs can all see what's going on around, so are never isolated, and are housed two and sometimes three to a pen. These pens are all open bars and are about maybe 4-5 feet high, so a long dog can stretch up and their front paws would be on the top of the pen. Each trainer has 5 or 6 dogs and spends around one hour each day on a one to one basis, but the dogs also have lots of interaction with other staff who feed them, groom them, walk them etc.

So with this open arrangement, the staff can keep an eye on all the dogs and check if any dog is under the weather or worried about anything right away. They also have the radio or music playing! So not bad digs at all!!!

Then the absolute best bit of the day, we met a few of the dogs who had been in formal training for a few weeks and watched them do a display for us - walking through an obstacle course with road cones, barricades etc. It was great to watch this. Then we got an opportunity to do a "blindfold walk". I jumped at the chance and I had the "pleasure" of being walked blindfolded with Bob, who was about a month off finishing his training at Forfar before going on his advanced training. So with a bit of guidance from the trainer to me as to how to hold the dog's harness, off we set to walk a straight path around one side of the arena, and then we would turn and walk through the obstacle course. Now I have a pretty good photographic memory, but as soon as that blindfold went on, and started moving, other than thinking I knew where I was, I really had no idea! When we started walking, in a straight line, I felt like I was walking in a diagonal line pulling me to the right, so much so that when the trainer asked me how I was, I told her this and said I almost wanted to put my right arm out as I was sure I was going to walk into the wall!

She told me she had had the same feeling when she did her first blindfold walk. It was such a strange feeling. Anyway after that I relaxed when she reassured me I was indeed walking in a straight line and I let the dog take me forward and then around all the obstacles.

It's hard to keep your left arm straight down (in line with the side seam of your trousers is a good marker) and not lift the arm with the harness as the dog moves forward. I don't know if any of our friends here are Guide Dog Owners, but is it the same when you walk with your assistance dog? I don't know, so I hope you don't mind the question.

Bob got a big cuddle when we finished and he happily posed with me for a lovely photo.

Aruba enjoyed her sleepover whilst we were away and I collected her at the puppy workshop this morning. I snuck in while they were doing some exercises and although the trainer and the puppy boarder spotted me, I signalled to ignore me as I wanted to watch Aruba do her stuff without me distracting her. Well she did spot me and I gave her the hand signal to stay and she did and carried on listening to the trainer! I was so pleased with her although I just wanted to rush over and give her a big cuddle!

Oh I almost forgot, just as we were leaving the training centre, this tiny black boy lab called Ronnie came out for a walk on his little blue fabric puppy lead - he was 7 weeks old and had just arrived at the centre and was ready to go to his puppy walkers. He was all legs, ears too big for his little head, scampering this way and that, and I looked at this little pup and thought of the next fourteen months of love and discovery that he will have, and transform into the confident, gentle, patient life-changer that Bob (and hopefully Aruba) will soon be.

We owe these amazing creatures an incredible debt.

I have a couple of more stories from our visit - for another day!

Roz, I had a few tears myself yesterday when I watched these amazing dogs do their walks and I can't even begin to imagine how much you miss your wonderful girl. If only she could have known what would come from her Mum first posting on here years ago about going cruising with her ...... From that first post to Aruba! And everything in between, simply marvellous, so we have a lot to thank that "chunky girl" for! :D.

Happy Halloween and happy weekend all! :D

This is me with Bob being led around the obstacle course with Bob's trainer. It's a shot taken from a video the DH took, so if DKD can tell me how to post a link to a video, I will do it. ;):)

image.jpg.27becd0940a3d268d284507e84d2e0d7.jpg

Ackkkk! Tears all around. Roz and Fairbourne, you two have no idea how well versed you are in capturing the lives of these furkids and then expressing them to us! I miss my big Ole Lug, Reno every day. He was just an amazing boy. Jezzy Lou is completely opposite, but also has wriggled her little Terrior heart into our lives. I can't even pick out an smiley face! So this will have to do! ♥

Roz, I had a few tears myself yesterday when I watched these amazing dogs do their walks and I can't even begin to imagine how much you miss your wonderful girl. If only she could have known what would come from her Mum first posting on here years ago about going cruising with her ...... From that first post to Aruba! And everything in between, simply marvellous, so we have a lot to thank that "chunky girl" for! :D.

This is me with Bob being led around the obstacle course with Bob's trainer. It's a shot taken from a video the DH took, so if DKD can tell me how to post a link to a video, I will do it. ;):)

Another wonderful reading from Fairbourne, I loved it! We're on such a fabulous journey with you and I'm loving every word and moment. I'm going to be a mess when we have to send Aruba to formal training.

I love how you took us through your day and taught us by introducing us to Bob.

Thank you for your sweet and comforting words about Brenny, I wish everyone could have met her. And, you're so right, she began this all and has left quite a legacy behind her! After all, through her we've all met each other and that's meant the world to me!

The picture says it all. :)

Ackkkk! Tears all around. Roz and Fairbourne, you two have no idea how well versed you are in capturing the lives of these furkids and then expressing them to us! I miss my big Ole Lug, Reno every day. He was just an amazing boy. Jezzy Lou is completely opposite, but also has wriggled her little Terrior heart into our lives. I can't even pick out an smiley face! So this will have to do! ♥

Nancy, we've really shared a lot with each other haven't we! Between you, Cindy, Barbara and me, we've shed a lot of tears. Thank goodness we had each other through it.

We'll need DKD to get us through sending Aruba off to training. I hope Aruba's forever person will keep us in the loop.....Whoops! They only should keep Fairbourne in the loop. Can you imagine if they felt they had to answer to ALL OF US!!! :(

The Celebrity/RCCL private port of Labadee is on the coast of Haiti, which is a country on the USDA APHIS list for Screwworm. So officials could choose to require the specified paperwork from a Haiti vet before allowing an animal to re-enter the US.

Has anyone ever taken their service dog ashore in Labadee? Or more to the point, had any issues returning to the US?

I had not made plans there other than to give Raylene a chance to stretch her legs, sniff, and do her thing on some real vegetation instead of on mulch. But I'm now re-thinking even taking her off the ship.

Poor Raylene. I don't actually care whether I get off. But I sure hope she likes that mulch box on board.

I don't know what the requirements are - try asking the cruise line - but when some friends were looking into a cruise that went there, I learned that there are a good amount of stray dogs wandering around the place. People had photos of the strays laying around on the beach with them and stuff. So, if you do get off, be wary and careful! (I was looking into renting a cabana with my friends. We never went because they wanted to do it just before Christmas and I reminded them that flights would be ridiculously expensive - they checked and it changed their minds. It was supposed to be for one of their birthdays, so that's why it couldn't just be moved to another date.)

I don't know what the requirements are - try asking the cruise line - but when some friends were looking into a cruise that went there, I learned that there are a good amount of stray dogs wandering around the place..

That's SUCH good input, Quam. Thank you. I think Miss Raylene is going to be happy on board that day, sipping a cool beverage on her balcony with Mom and enjoying the view of azure seas and palm trees from that vantage point, instead of on the beach of Labadee, Haiti. Don't want to deal with the Screwworm issue potentially emerging on return to the US.

I think Roz posted a while back about stray dogs in a Mexican port. There are plenty in the Caribbean everywhere, too. I'm going to need to be extra vigilant. If Ray ever was attacked and bit, that would be a nightmare.

Nancy, I'm right there with you. Tears started up just as soon as I began reading Roz and Fairborne's posts. These two ladies can really tell a story so that I feel as if I were right there for the whole event. And the beautiful hearts that service dogs and guide dogs have just melts me into a puddle. They give so much and ask nothing but love and a bit of kibble in return.

Yesterday I wasn't feeling well so came home from work a couple hours early. Diana had a friend over to do some drawing so she didn't need Gibson to do anything for her in particular. He somehow figured out that Grammie was under the weather. So he left Diana drawing with her friend and came up to my room to snuggle. He is a very giving soul.

Hope you are all having a great first day of November. Thanks!

Beckie

That's SUCH good input, Quam. Thank you. I think Miss Raylene is going to be happy on board that day, sipping a cool beverage on her balcony with Mom and enjoying the view of azure seas and palm trees from that vantage point, instead of on the beach of Labadee, Haiti. Don't want to deal with the Screwworm issue potentially emerging on return to the US.

I think Roz posted a while back about stray dogs in a Mexican port. There are plenty in the Caribbean everywhere, too. I'm going to need to be extra vigilant. If Ray ever was attacked and bit, that would be a nightmare.

Yes, there are strays throughout the Caribbean. I have seen them in the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and probably other places. I have also seen one in Key West. So, you just have to be aware of your surroundings. In Mexico, the stray was right outside the cruise center when we exited our taxi at the end of our excursion and the stray kept trying to follow my service dog as we tried to go from the taxi into the cruise center (a flea market type area of shops in Cozumel). Thankfully, the Mexican taxi drivers were very helpful in getting the stray away from us until we could get inside the cruise center! In Puerto Rico, my friends helped. I go to the Bahamas every year and only have had to change course because of a stray once - we just went down another street until the coast was clear. In Key West, I had to yell at the little loose dog, "GO HOME!" many times, but it finally left us alone - we were just walking on the sidewalk heading back towards the cruise ship, so had nowhere else to go (unless I went inside a store).

The issue with Labadee is that the strays hang out on the beach amid all the cruisers and everything. Since the beach (albeit in a cabana) is what I would be doing there, I wasn't all that comfortable about it.

We were invited to the Guide Dogs training centre at Forfar which is where Madame Aruba will go for her formal training when she leaves us. I was really keen to go as we had never been before and I was anxious to see what the facilities were like. Especially as she will go from a home environment to kennels!

There were about 30 people there, all fellow puppy walkers or puppy boarders. We met some of the key people there: trainers, welfare people, admin. Almost right away I felt happy with the calm, extremely happy atmosphere in the building and the warmth coming from these people. We had presentations on the history of guide dogs, their breeding programme (they tend to favour lab/retriever cross, but are now looking at German Shepard/retriever cross - giving the strength and commitment of the GS with the willingness and more gentle side of the retrievers. So a perfect combination in the way you also get a great mix with the lab "gung ho" approach to life with the more "oooh what's happening" think it through of the retriever.)

Pure retrievers are beautiful to look at, but can be a real pain to train as they are very stubborn (I see that in Aruba when she doesn't really want to do something, she can literally dig her retriever paws in!).

I was interested to see where the dogs live, so we were shown their kennels. Now I imagined kennels like the sort you have at boarding kennels where there is a long row with an inside sleeping arrangement and a small outside run. Not here. The kennels are large pens all inside in a large area, about the size of a gymnasium. The dogs can all see what's going on around, so are never isolated, and are housed two and sometimes three to a pen. These pens are all open bars and are about maybe 4-5 feet high, so a long dog can stretch up and their front paws would be on the top of the pen. Each trainer has 5 or 6 dogs and spends around one hour each day on a one to one basis, but the dogs also have lots of interaction with other staff who feed them, groom them, walk them etc.

So with this open arrangement, the staff can keep an eye on all the dogs and check if any dog is under the weather or worried about anything right away. They also have the radio or music playing! So not bad digs at all!!!

Then the absolute best bit of the day, we met a few of the dogs who had been in formal training for a few weeks and watched them do a display for us - walking through an obstacle course with road cones, barricades etc. It was great to watch this. Then we got an opportunity to do a "blindfold walk". I jumped at the chance and I had the "pleasure" of being walked blindfolded with Bob, who was about a month off finishing his training at Forfar before going on his advanced training. So with a bit of guidance from the trainer to me as to how to hold the dog's harness, off we set to walk a straight path around one side of the arena, and then we would turn and walk through the obstacle course. Now I have a pretty good photographic memory, but as soon as that blindfold went on, and started moving, other than thinking I knew where I was, I really had no idea! When we started walking, in a straight line, I felt like I was walking in a diagonal line pulling me to the right, so much so that when the trainer asked me how I was, I told her this and said I almost wanted to put my right arm out as I was sure I was going to walk into the wall!

She told me she had had the same feeling when she did her first blindfold walk. It was such a strange feeling. Anyway after that I relaxed when she reassured me I was indeed walking in a straight line and I let the dog take me forward and then around all the obstacles.

It's hard to keep your left arm straight down (in line with the side seam of your trousers is a good marker) and not lift the arm with the harness as the dog moves forward. I don't know if any of our friends here are Guide Dog Owners, but is it the same when you walk with your assistance dog? I don't know, so I hope you don't mind the question.

Bob got a big cuddle when we finished and he happily posed with me for a lovely photo.

Aruba enjoyed her sleepover whilst we were away and I collected her at the puppy workshop this morning. I snuck in while they were doing some exercises and although the trainer and the puppy boarder spotted me, I signalled to ignore me as I wanted to watch Aruba do her stuff without me distracting her. Well she did spot me and I gave her the hand signal to stay and she did and carried on listening to the trainer! I was so pleased with her although I just wanted to rush over and give her a big cuddle!

Oh I almost forgot, just as we were leaving the training centre, this tiny black boy lab called Ronnie came out for a walk on his little blue fabric puppy lead - he was 7 weeks old and had just arrived at the centre and was ready to go to his puppy walkers. He was all legs, ears too big for his little head, scampering this way and that, and I looked at this little pup and thought of the next fourteen months of love and discovery that he will have, and transform into the confident, gentle, patient life-changer that Bob (and hopefully Aruba) will soon be.

We owe these amazing creatures an incredible debt.

I have a couple of more stories from our visit - for another day!

fairbourne,

You are doing an amazing job with Aruba. You also sound like you are having the time of your life doing it. I told you. It gets in your blood and regardless if Aruba graduates or not, I'll bet you take another pup home. Sorry, but I don't know how to post a video.

fairbourne,

You are doing an amazing job with Aruba. You also sound like you are having the time of your life doing it. I told you. It gets in your blood and regardless if Aruba graduates or not, I'll bet you take another pup home. Sorry, but I don't know how to post a video.

Hi DKD, yes thanks I am having a great time, I'm enjoying all the new experiences and Aruba just makes it such fun! I hope she makes it as a fully fledged guide dog, and if she doesn't or doesn't career change then she has a forever home here with us - so we could end up with quite a doggy crowd! Dawg help us! LOL!

Hey folks - regarding strays - we went to Greece and Turkey last year and there were stray dogs and cats everywhere. The locals leave food and water out for them and really seem to like them...

just a friendly heads up if you are planning to go there.

Hey folks - regarding strays - we went to Greece and Turkey last year and there were stray dogs and cats everywhere. The locals leave food and water out for them and really seem to like them...

just a friendly heads up if you are planning to go there.

As for me, I love dogs, cats, all animals. But when a stray comes over and growls at my dog and me......then, I'm done!!!! Morey bought me a "walking stick" and I got used to taking it on cruises with us. It's longer than a cane and really does the job on poking away strays. It's when the strays have a "pack mentality" that I really get scared. I suggest that if you're walking with your dog that you not be too adventurous and go with others.

In Paris, they allowed dogs to sit in the restaurant with the owner as they were being fed off the restaurant plates. There were dogs everywhere. Brenda was very welcome and I felt very safe with her.

It's me, I'm too old now to be chasing away strays. When I was younger [and, I mean when I first got Brenda 12 years ago] exploring on my own with her was my most fun thing to do. I could be gone with her an entire day, just the two of us exploring a new city. Not any more, those days are over. But, I will explore with others. In a group and with a safety net of others to help me, if I need it.

The one thing I will NOT do now, is take a risk with my Service Dog. If the area doesn't feel safe for him, I don't go!!!

Nancy, we've really shared a lot with each other haven't we! Between you, Cindy, Barbara and me, we've shed a lot of tears. Thank goodness we had each other through it.

We'll need DKD to get us through sending Aruba off to training. I hope Aruba's forever person will keep us in the loop.....Whoops! They only should keep Fairbourne in the loop. Can you imagine if they felt they had to answer to ALL OF US!!! :(

Sending a pup off for advanced training is a very hard thing to do. Then waiting for the monthly training reports is a hard thing to do.

Then finding out the pup you raised is in a team training class and might graduate and waiting to hear is a hard thing to do.

Then combine all of the above and hand the leash over to someone who loves that dog and will depend on that dog more than you ever could is one of the easiest and best things you could ever do.

That's how it was with Ocho. We would have taken him back if he decided being a service dog wasn't for him. If Davis decides that being a service dog is not for him, he will have a very nice life at the home of one of the people that works at our bank. He will want for nothing. I will have to wait until May to let you know if turning in our second pup is easier. My guess is that it will not be easier. Davis has found his way into our hearts just like Ocho did. Then hopefully we will have a new pup in June or July.

Sending a pup off for advanced training is a very hard thing to do. Then waiting for the monthly training reports is a hard thing to do.

Then finding out the pup you raised is in a team training class and might graduate and waiting to hear is a hard thing to do.

Then combine all of the above and hand the leash over to someone who loves that dog and will depend on that dog more than you ever could is one of the easiest and best things you could ever do.

That's how it was with Ocho. We would have taken him back if he decided being a service dog wasn't for him. If Davis decides that being a service dog is not for him, he will have a very nice life at the home of one of the people that works at our bank. He will want for nothing. I will have to wait until May to let you know if turning in our second pup is easier. My guess is that it will not be easier. Davis has found his way into our hearts just like Ocho did. Then hopefully we will have a new pup in June or July.

Oh! My! Here come the goosebumps and stinging eyes!!!! Your family is amazing and wonderful how you all take on this huge responsibility of raising, loving and sending off these potential super heroes and then are ready to take on another......We're all so grateful to you, Fairbourne and so many other families who do this and then do it over and over again! THANK YOU!! ♥ ♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Okay! Somebody saw me getting out of my car, getting Horton out of the back seat, closing the door and walking into the market and said, "Is that a blind dog?" What?

Okay, you see me getting out of the drivers seat of a car, I'm walking with the dog beside me, do blind dogs now have people to assist them? What? What do you mean, what is the question?

I keep walking, grab a basket and this person is following behind me to the vegetable department; I'm grabbing a head of lettuce, this person asks, "is this dog in training?" "Can you see me?" What? I turn to the person and state that this dog is a Service Dog and assists me. The person continues, "can you show me how the dog assists you?" In a very nice way I say, "I'm just getting off work, I'm tired and I need to pick up dinner!" "Thank you for asking about my dog but I'd like to just continue shopping for now."

Should the person be upset with me for not going into detail and, really, do I have to? Or, should the public be happy with the answer given?

Sometimes I'm just too tired to go into detail but I totally get the curiosity factor. If I'm not blind and I'm not in a wheelchair, why do I have a dog?

Edited by wizard-of-roz