Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Here in Arizona, it's going up to 116F/46.6C this weekend. Asphalt can get up to 170 degrees, and concrete can get up to 150. Please remember your dogs' paws!

If you can't hold the back of your hand against a surface for thirty seconds, it's too hot for your dog to walk on!

So if you're in the desert Southwest -- or anywhere in the US, really, considering the heatwave -- please be careful. Walk your dogs early in the morning or late at night, after the pavement has started to cool off. If you must go out in this heat, remember to provide plenty of water and keep your dogs' feet (and the rest of them!) in the shade.

The best option is boots, of course. You ca pick up cheap boots at Petsmart, Petco, and other stores, but they won't keep your dog's paws safe for more than a few minutes.

Ruffwear makes some great boots -- we use Summit Trex, because the attached cuff helps keep cactus stickers and gravel out. Ruffwear offers a Pro Purchase Program for service dog handlers, offering steep discounts on boots, socks, cooling vests, life jackets, and other useful products. More info here: http://www.ruffwear.com/Pro-Purchase-Program

Stay cool!

Here in Arizona, it's going up to 116F/46.6C this weekend. Asphalt can get up to 170 degrees, and concrete can get up to 150. Please remember your dogs' paws!

If you can't hold the back of your hand against a surface for thirty seconds, it's too hot for your dog to walk on!

So if you're in the desert Southwest -- or anywhere in the US, really, considering the heatwave -- please be careful. Walk your dogs early in the morning or late at night, after the pavement has started to cool off. If you must go out in this heat, remember to provide plenty of water and keep your dogs' feet (and the rest of them!) in the shade.

The best option is boots, of course. You ca pick up cheap boots at Petsmart, Petco, and other stores, but they won't keep your dog's paws safe for more than a few minutes.

Ruffwear makes some great boots -- we use Summit Trex, because the attached cuff helps keep cactus stickers and gravel out. Ruffwear offers a Pro Purchase Program for service dog handlers, offering steep discounts on boots, socks, cooling vests, life jackets, and other useful products. More info here: http://www.ruffwear.com/Pro-Purchase-Program

Stay cool!

Wonderful advice!!!

Ruffwear offers a Pro Purchase Program for service dog handlers, offering steep discounts on boots, socks, cooling vests, life jackets, and other useful products. More info here: http://www.ruffwear.com/Pro-Purchase-Program

Stay cool!

Thanks for the great info. Its going to be hot where we live too - 105 degrees.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Dianne

Hi Nancy, thanks for checking on us........I'm involved in work and when I have a chance am checking into all the stuff I have to do for Horton, for my 19 day cruise through the Panama Canal. I had to renew my Passport, that's done and now I have to focus on Horton.....There's a special Health Cert. for the export of dogs/cats into Costa Rica. Horton is due for his Rabies Vac. in November, so it's perfect timing for us. And, of course, since he's currently on regular doses of HeartGuard and NexGuard, every month, our bases are all covered.

I hope everyone is doing okay with the various weather conditions all over the US. We've had a heat wave and some fires in our area. Thank goodness we survived the heat and the fires were close but really didn't affect us too badly. My niece and her family had to evacuate their home over night but were very pleased when they could go back home the next day. Our firemen are true heroes.

Stay dry, cool and safe everyone!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz, I remember my vet obtained and filled out that Costa Rica form for Raylene back in April for that Canal Cruise. It was at least two pages, maybe three, and had to be endorsed and stamped by the state USDA, too.

How scary for your niece! So glad it was only a short evacuation. I see those news reports of fires consuming homes and feel so sad for the people interviewed who have lost everything.

Here in SW Fla. we were visited by Tropical Storm Colin. Very heavy rains for a couple of days, but fortunately no issues in my neighborhood, just some foliage debris. Now it's hot and extremely humid.

We're gearing up to take an RV trip, gradually making our way north all the way to the Gaspe Peninsula in northern Quebec. Looking forward to seafood and cooler temps.

Scooter and I visited with the vet today. We got the first round of vaccines against canine influenza and kennel cough as well as lyme. A friend just bought 200 acres and they are over-grown so best to be prepared on the lyme.

He is up to 49 pounds! If is hard to believe!

His training is coming along nicely, and he met a bunch of new people today and handled it well.

Our biggest problem at the moment is the huge number of stray cats in the area. I think we have close to 40 and they are mean.

Hey Folks it's me, keith and somehow I ended up here on my go to site. I don't know why, I don't have a Service Dog, although I am a Service Owner for my dog Lucy who basically owns me. I'm at my Dad's place and Hospice is coming tomorrow to pick him up - I've been giving Dad meds all night to give my sister a break and well; sappy as it sounds I needed me some Horton and some Raylene and some DKD and Fairbourne and the new puppys. Oh and just looked again at page one of the best thread on CC and Rangely was there! PG and Jagger - what an adventure you have in front of you.

Roz you are the greatest...and so was Brenda. Chris...feel like I know ya...

see you all in a few days and yes I have had a couple...

Raylene and the Winos! classic...

Edited by alexspepa

Hey Folks it's me, keith and somehow I ended up here on my go to site. I don't know why, I don't have a Service Dog, although I am a Service Owner for my dog Lucy who basically owns me. I'm at my Dad's place and Hospice is coming tomorrow to pick him up - I've been giving Dad meds all night to give my sister a break and well; sappy as it sounds I needed me some Horton and some Raylene and some DKD and Fairbourne and the new puppys. Oh and just looked again at page one of the best thread on CC and Rangely was there! PG and Jagger - what an adventure you have in front of you.

Keith,

As the Mayor of Lurkerville, I send you warmest greetings and comfort as you care for your dad. We are each part of a wonderful community of people, who genuinely care about each other. So it is only natural for you to seek us out at this time.

Please keep us posted as you can.

Sincerely,

Beckie

Roz, I remember my vet obtained and filled out that Costa Rica form for Raylene back in April for that Canal Cruise. It was at least two pages, maybe three, and had to be endorsed and stamped by the state USDA, too.

How scary for your niece! So glad it was only a short evacuation. I see those news reports of fires consuming homes and feel so sad for the people interviewed who have lost everything.

Here in SW Fla. we were visited by Tropical Storm Colin. Very heavy rains for a couple of days, but fortunately no issues in my neighborhood, just some foliage debris. Now it's hot and extremely humid.

We're gearing up to take an RV trip, gradually making our way north all the way to the Gaspe Peninsula in northern Quebec. Looking forward to seafood and cooler temps.

I'm going to have my Vet fill out the two page form on our visit and see what he says about any further endorsement. He is a USDA Vet.

I'm so glad that you didn't get badly effected by "Colin."

Have a wonderful trip to Canada, it sounds so nice. I can do any weather condition but humidity, it hates me!!!! :eek:

Scooter and I visited with the vet today. We got the first round of vaccines against canine influenza and kennel cough as well as lyme. A friend just bought 200 acres and they are over-grown so best to be prepared on the lyme.

He is up to 49 pounds! If is hard to believe!

His training is coming along nicely, and he met a bunch of new people today and handled it well.

Our biggest problem at the moment is the huge number of stray cats in the area. I think we have close to 40 and they are mean.

Go Scooter, go!!!!! You're such a good canine partner.

CCI raises and trains their dogs with cats so that they become desensitized to them. It does help when they come across a feline in real life and to watch how "matter-of-factly" they treat the meeting is pure joy!!!!

Of course, mean cats would be a whole different story!!!!!

Yeah, getting out of the car with him and having one of then launch itself from the top if my shed at us hissing is a whole different story.

He just watches everything. The cats, the rabbits, squirrels, birds, you name it. We have it all.

We hasn't taken off after anything, just watches. The attack cat was a surprise.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Yeah, getting out of the car with him and having one of then launch itself from the top if my shed at us hissing is a whole different story.

He just watches everything. The cats, the rabbits, squirrels, birds, you name it. We have it all.

We hasn't taken off after anything, just watches. The attack cat was a surprise.

Feral cats are the scariest little beasties. They just want to be left alone and don't want any of us to infringe onto their property or in their world. You must have been so scared when that one leaped at you.......I know I would be!!!!! :(

"Keith" there's nothing "somehow" about it! We ALL need each other and we're definitely here for you and for each other ;).

I've had many a co-worker come to my office and ask if they could take Horton with them to their office for some loving and therapy [not for Horton, for themselves!] I totally get it! He makes me feel sane on a daily basis!!!! He keeps me from imploding and dissolving all the time!!!!

I've told the story before about how Brenda [my first SD] became a "blessing" for a little girl who had shut down after being assaulted. The Child Psychiatrist, who had an office in our building, came to me after many weeks of getting no where with the little girl and asked if she could borrow Brenda. Within a few sessions of Brenda and the little girl interacting, the girl started talking to Brenda......it was nothing short of a miracle. Gives me goose bumps all over again!

Thank you for your support of all of us who have Service Dogs and for those of us who are the heroes and PuppyRaise [Walk], so that others may have the advantages of one of these amazing dogs in their lives.

"Keith" there's nothing "somehow" about it! We ALL need each other and we're definitely here for you and for each other ;).

I've had many a co-worker come to my office and ask if they could take Horton with them to their office for some loving and therapy [not for Horton, for themselves!] I totally get it! He makes me feel sane on a daily basis!!!! He keeps me from imploding and dissolving all the time!!!!

I've told the story before about how Brenda [my first SD] became a "blessing" for a little girl who had shut down after being assaulted. The Child Psychiatrist, who had an office in our building, came to me after many weeks of getting no where with the little girl and asked if she could borrow Brenda. Within a few sessions of Brenda and the little girl interacting, the girl started talking to Brenda......it was nothing short of a miracle. Gives me goose bumps all over again!

Thank you for your support of all of us who have Service Dogs and for those of us who are the heroes and PuppyRaise [Walk], so that others may have the advantages of one of these amazing dogs in their lives.

That's beautiful! I know quite a few service dogs who've retired from active duty only to be retrained as therapy dogs. They're great -- polite, calm, settled, and most of all caring. I'm seriously considering it for Darian when he retires, though I'm not sure my PTSD would allow me to go on hospital/shelter visits with him.

Hello all! Jagger and I are doing well. I had a bought of spin-head, probably due to the low from Tropical Storm Colin. We got rain but it never got really heavy. Just enough to water the grass and flowers and top up the pool a bit.

Glad to see the lurkers and regulars. This is a happy place to go to. Ha ha - service owners! :)

Safe travels - have a great trip Chris!

Dianne & Henri

I have said it before - the nicest people on Cruise Critic are on this thread. Best wishes for your dad.

Dianne & Henri

My 70lb dog is deathly afraid of one of my cats. It is actually quite funny to see her try to walk into a room and take a route that is as far as possible away from the cat. Of course, the cat has never tried to attack the dog, that would be scary.

Dianne & Henri

We took Henri on a ferry boat ride on San Francisco Bay over the weekend to test out her "sea legs" for our upcoming cruise. She had no problems. She has passed all of the tests with flying colors - airplanes, hotels and boats. I think we are ready to cruise with her! We met another CCI family on the ferry and Henri made a new friend.

Dianne

IMG_02_zpsrc1csmpx.jpg

HRPG9072_zpssmuz4jju.jpeg

Edited by DUTRAVEL

Safe travels - have a great trip Chris!

Dianne & Henri

Thanks, Dianne. I LOVE that newest closeup of beautiful Henri. Shows the gleaming black fur so well. She's such a pretty dog. The cruise passengers will all admire her, count on it!

Fun that she had some quality time with a fellow-CCI dog.

Chris...feel like I know ya...

We're headed to the Carolina coast tomorrow morning. Let me know if you get out that way in the coming week. We'll be with my family on Emerald Isle (although the three of us are staying in our RV at the National Forest Service Cedar Point campground just across the RT. 58 bridge).

Raylene and her "wino" friends from the Roll Call are making big plans for our August cruise (which will have many wine-related events on board). It turns out many of us have booked rooms on the Lower Promenade Deck, now known as the "Poop Deck" since that's where the relief box is located. So we may have fun company for the daily walks around the Promenade. Really looking forward to it!

Edited by Caribbean Chris