Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I have a service dog and was wondering if anyone knows what paper work I need to take my dog on shore. I am traveling with NCL going to San Juan (Puerto Rico); St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands); Philipsburg (St. Maarten); Tortola (British Virgin Islands.

Do we need special passports. I am from Canada and want to travel with my service dog.

Be careful with Tortola. I believe they still require a Tider test. It is a special blood test for rabies. Blood has to be drawn by your vet and Fed Ex'd to Kansas State University to do the test. They are the only ones doing the test. It gets expensive quick. Getting the test results back can take a while too.

My son says that since he and his sister moved out I've turned Scooter into my new furry kid. Every time he shows up, I've got something new for the dog.

My kids are spoiled, too, though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

LOL - if Lucy sneezes twice my wife rushes her to the vet...our kids say they had to have a fever of 104' before we even noticed they were sick.

My son says that since he and his sister moved out I've turned Scooter into my new furry kid. Every time he shows up, I've got something new for the dog.

My kids are spoiled, too, though.

So true!

Dianne

LOL - if Lucy sneezes twice my wife rushes her to the vet...our kids say they had to have a fever of 104' before we even noticed they were sick.

Awww!!! We love our dogs so much......Horton's next visit to Vet is right before we go on our 19 day cruise and he's due for so many injections. I can't stay in the room when they do it and the doctor knows it!!!

My daughter reminds me that I did the same thing with her when it was time for immunizations.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I called Celebrity's access department to discuss placing the relief box for Henri on our balcony (we have a very large aft balcony). I was told "no" due to US public health and safety laws. I asked the representative to provide me with the actual citation to the laws that she was referring to. She was not able to give me the information, but has promised to e-mail me. Has anyone else been cited an actual law that prohibits the placement of the relief box on the balcony?

Dianne

I called Celebrity's access department to discuss placing the relief box for Henri on our balcony (we have a very large aft balcony). I was told "no" due to US public health and safety laws. I asked the representative to provide me with the actual citation to the laws that she was referring to. She was not able to give me the information, but has promised to e-mail me. Has anyone else been cited an actual law that prohibits the placement of the relief box on the balcony?

Dianne

Bull!!!! Call her "out" on it and let her know that the Pacific Princess, the HAL Oosterdam and the Carnival Miracle all put Brenda's and Horton's potty box on our patio when I called them "out" on the regulations that they tried to spew at me!!!!! You may even use my name and mention this forum!!!!!

There is NO SUCH LAW that prevents them from putting the box on your large patio. If the patio were very small and there was a risk of someone falling over it, they might have a case. Insist on it being placed on your patio and remind them that you plan on keeping it clean and the solids will be picked up and placed in a recepticle, that can be easily removed by one of their crew.

They're afraid that your cabin steward will be overwhelmed and the litter will fly off your deck. Reassure them that you plan on keeping everything clean. They're also afraid to carry the box through the cabin and dumping everything, everywhere! If they're careful it can be easily done!

I'm going to have the Island Princess place Horton's box on our patio [which is larger than normal], in November. I will sit in the Hotel Managers office as I did on the Pacific Princess and INSIST [nicely, of course] on it.

Bull!!!! Call her "out" on it and let her know that the Pacific Princess, the HAL Oosterdam and the Carnival Miracle all put Brenda's and Horton's potty box on our patio when I called them "out" on the regulations that they tried to spew at me!!!!! You may even use my name and mention this forum!!!!!

There is NO SUCH LAW that prevents them from putting the box on your large patio. If the patio were very small and there was a risk of someone falling over it, they might have a case. Insist on it being placed on your patio and remind them that you plan on keeping it clean and the solids will be picked up and placed in a recepticle, that can be easily removed by one of their crew.

I suspect that there isn't such a law that applies to relief boxes on cruises and that is why I asked her to give me the actual law she is referring to. It will be interesting to see what they e-mail me. Just wanted to make sure that no one else has ever been quoted a specific law - a generic reference to public health and safety isn't enough.

It seems like Celebrity usually places the box forward on deck four or five. We are aft on deck 9 so that is not going to work for me. I am planning on pushing them on this issue (nicely) if I have to - thanks for all your advice Roz!

Dianne

I suspect that there isn't such a law that applies to relief boxes on cruises and that is why I asked her to give me the actual law she is referring to. It will be interesting to see what they e-mail me. Just wanted to make sure that no one else has ever been quoted a specific law - a generic reference to public health and safety isn't enough.

It seems like Celebrity usually places the box forward on deck four or five. We are aft on deck 9 so that is not going to work for me. I am planning on pushing them on this issue (nicely) if I have to - thanks for all your advice Roz!

Dianne

Yes, the Celebrity Summit placed Brenda's box on deck 4 forward and we were on deck 7 or 8 aft. It was a long walk but this was also in 2005 when I was just beginning to cruise with a Service Dog. Hopefully, I'm wiser now!!!!

Do you know, that a crew member would come and knock on our cabin door requesting to take Brenda to the potty. I should have said "yes!" But I was so new at this cruising thing with a dog, I didn't want to spook her, them or most of all ME!!

We were treated very well by Celebrity and I wouldn't hesitate to go on them again, if they left out of L.A.

Ha! Ha! Don't see many Service Cats!!!!! Wonder why????

A few years ago on CC boards there was a girl with a "Service cat" . She somehow managed to get it on the ship. Not long after the ADA came out with only dog or miniature horses are recognized. She was not happy! The people on the board were all over her.

Service cats? Because they would expect us to perform service for them, of course! Don't forget the saying: Dogs have masters, Cats have staff.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

A few years ago on CC boards there was a girl with a "Service cat" . She somehow managed to get it on the ship. Not long after the ADA came out with only dog or miniature horses are recognized. She was not happy! The people on the board were all over her.

I wish I had seen the Service Cat.

We haven't really gotten into it yet, but we will be putting Wexler's box on our aft balcony. Last year the manager was trying to get us in a balcony for that reason. So I would say NCL is doing it. I hope!

I bet you'll have no problem at all.

It's actually smarter that the ships encourage people with Service Dogs to put the box on their own patio. Keeping it out of the public and making it much more convenient for the handler would be the smart thing to do!

We disembarked Maasdam this morning - wonderful two-week Alaska cruise!

We didn't have a balcony (fewer of them and pricey on the older HAL ships) and, as mentioned earlier, they had three small stations of grass on deck five aft this time for the three service dogs on board. Not satisfactory, as the two 18" squares of grass on flat cardboard (not in a box) did not contain the pee, putting it bluntly. The grass was soon saturated. Very messy.

About halfway through the cruise, we politely asked twice to at least have fresh grass to be brought on in Anchorage. Not done. Long story, but I channeled my "inner Roz", became much more assertive, and they sent someone out at Kodiak, Alaska to find mulch. Three bags arrived, two additional plywood boxes were built. Problem solved.

I honestly can live with walking a distance to the box as long as it is functional when we get there. I know now that Raylene won't have accidents en route. But it sure would be convenient to have it close at hand on the balcony when we book a large one.

By the way, the HAL crew were great - very friendly and all worked out well for the dining room seating etc. Other passengers gave the dog a lot of attention which she loves.

I am quite sure the Access Dept. passed on to the Shore Excursions staff and tour operators that we were bringing a dog on our four tours...because in Juneau, there was a sign with my name and room number on a front seat of the bus. So we had lots of space for a short ride to the Glacier. Other tour operators ignored us, but no problem, we worked it out. Nobody ever hassled us - VERY nice to be in U.S. ports where the ADA applies.

In Homer and Kodiak, school buses are used for tours. Designed for kids so not real roomy but OK. Raylene also did well on two boat excursions we took. I'd do an Alaska cruise again any time! I wish it were not such a long flight to the west coast.

All in all, a great trip! Our dogs are so adaptable.

...I'm going to have the Island Princess place Horton's box on our patio [which is larger than normal], in November. I will sit in the Hotel Managers office as I did on the Pacific Princess and INSIST [nicely, of course] on it.

That's why you're the Wizard!

We've had to do "sit-in's" on Princess a few times. Not only do we get the matters resolved, we were treated twice with a bottle of wine. Our issues involved luggage issues and room assignment matters. Nice, but firm, has worked for us quite well.

BTW, we don't have a service dog...that is if you mean by "service" that the dog provides us a service beyond a very noisy welcome home, a face slurp or two and bed time snuggles.

On the other hand our two pooches do qualify as service dogs if you mean that we're the ones providing the services to the pooches. :)

Me too. She was ridiculous! It supposedly woke her up for some sleep disorder. I wasn't buying it.

Cats will wake you up whether you have a sleep disorder or not.

That said, I can see training a cat to do something on command, but not to react to a passive event.

Dianne

We were on the Disney Wonder in August and even though there was a relief box on deck 4, we still had one on our balcony on deck 7.

We didn't have a balcony (fewer of them and pricey on the older HAL ships) and, as mentioned earlier, they had three small stations of grass on deck five aft this time for the three service dogs on board. Not satisfactory, as the two 18" squares of grass on flat cardboard (not in a box) did not contain the pee, putting it bluntly. The grass was soon saturated. Very messy.

About halfway through the cruise, we politely asked twice to at least have fresh grass to be brought on in Anchorage. Not done. Long story, but I channeled my "inner Roz", became much more assertive, and they sent someone out at Kodiak, Alaska to find mulch. Three bags arrived, two additional plywood boxes were built. Problem solved.

I honestly can live with walking a distance to the box as long as it is functional when we get there. I know now that Raylene won't have accidents en route. But<script id="gpt-impl-0.5421351210354566" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_95.js"></script> it sure would be convenient to have it close at hand on the balcony when we book a large one.

Chris, you handled this so well! Honestly, nothing can "un-glue" me quicker than my dog being mis-treated in any way! And, since our dogs going potty is a huge factor in how well our cruise goes......when the ship messes this part of it up I consider it mis-treatment!!!!!

By the way, the HAL crew were great - very friendly and all worked out well for the dining room seating etc. Other passengers gave the dog a lot of attention which she loves.

I am quite sure the Access Dept. passed on to the Shore Excursions staff and tour operators that we were bringing a dog on our four tours...because in Juneau, there was a sign with my name and room number on a front seat of the bus. So we had lots of space for a short ride to the Glacier. Other tour operators ignored us, but no problem, we worked it out. Nobody ever hassled us - VERY nice to be in U.S. ports where the ADA applies.

In Homer and Kodiak, school buses are used for tours. Designed for kids so not real roomy but OK. Raylene also did well on two boat excursions we took. I'd do an Alaska cruise again any time! I wish it were not such a long flight to the west coast.

Chris, It sounds like you had a wonderful cruise.

We only had a problem on the White Pass Railway excursion. The conductor wanted us to sit in a specific place and I told her that I could sit wherever I chose. She was NOT very happy with me and when it was time to board she walked right past me and Brenda and tried to board us last. I just walked on with the group she called and boarded myself!!!!! She wasn't very happy with me but she was going to place us in a spot that was not very good for either Brenda or me!!!!

That's why you're the Wizard!

We've had to do "sit-in's" on Princess a few times. Not only do we get the matters resolved, we were treated twice with a bottle of wine. Our issues involved luggage issues and room assignment matters. Nice, but firm, has worked for us quite well.

BTW, we don't have a service dog...that is if you mean by "service" that the dog provides us a service beyond a very noisy welcome home, a face slurp or two and bed time snuggles.

On the other hand our two pooches do qualify as service dogs if you mean that we're the ones providing the services to the pooches. :)

Yep, I've become very adept at "sit-in's!"

Believe me, Horton can be so demanding that sometimes I wonder who is doing the most Service here? I've even looked him square in the eye and asked him, "am I YOUR Service Person?"

I don't know if it's the male dog thing or not but it seems that I do more for Horton than I ever had to do for Brenda!!!!

Cats will wake you up whether you have a sleep disorder or not.

That said, I can see training a cat to do something on command, but not to react to a passive event.

Aint that the truth!

I think you're correct about training cats to do a task would be easy. However, would they do it without being commanded to do so........I doubt it!

And, cat lovers can say what they want, I think cats are inherantly lazy and selfish [not just willful.] They care more about themselves than they do others.

Yay...Chris is back! glad you had a good cruise...

I honestly can live with walking a distance to the box as long as it is functional when we get there. I know now that Raylene won't have accidents en route. But it sure would be convenient to have it close at hand on the balcony when we book a large one.

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a great trip!