Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Dianne, I called my Vet [because, I will be doing your same intinerary in November.] He is a USDA Approved Vet and he said that the Aphis 7001 with all current immunizations including the Rabies Vacc., along with a Health Cert [attesting to the dogs fur/skin/teeth condtion], and Micro Chip info. is all that is needed for each country. He said to make sure that each country had an original copy of their own. Horton will be seeing him for; Rabies/DHLPP update 3 weeks before we leave.

They'll have all they will need to allow Horton to be transported from L.A. to Panama and back. Horton will NOT be getting off the ship, except to go shopping on the various piers that have shopping venues on them.

No rainforest, no jungles, no deep sea diving, no bus/train tours and no zip-lining or para sailing for Horton!

No zip lining for me or Henri either lol - I do hope to do some tours in Mexico, Costa Rica and Colombia.

Dianne

No zip lining for me or Henri either lol - I do hope to do some tours in Mexico, Costa Rica and Colombia.

Dianne

Yay! You're going to have so much fun. Be careful of the hot ashpalt, sand and rocky pavement, for Henri's paws. We took Brenda into Costa Rica and couldn't take her down to the beach because of the strays and the sand was so hot my hubby had to carry her at one point. We tried putting those mucklucks on her feet but she wouldn't walk with them on and Horton is such a goofball, he'd NEVER wear them.

Our tour guide in Brazil borrowed a wagon and we pulled Brenda in it and actually got to see a lot more once she was settled. We hired a private car and although the driver didn't want to leave the windows down we had to for Brenda, so we could go visit one of the church's. You gotta change things up a bit when you're traveling with a dog and when you have tour guides and taxi drivers who are willing to help it sure makes the traveling easier.

Of course, we did have to tip a lot for the service but they were memories that I will NEVER forget!

You know what you can and can't do.......enjoy as much as you can!! And, come back and tell us all about it!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Yay! You're going to have so much fun. Be careful of the hot ashpalt, sand and rocky pavement, for Henri's paws. We took Brenda into Costa Rica and couldn't take her down to the beach because of the strays and the sand was so hot my hubby had to carry her at one point. We tried putting those mucklucks on her feet but she wouldn't walk with them on and Horton is such a goofball, he'd NEVER wear them.

Our tour guide in Brazil borrowed a wagon and we pulled Brenda in it and actually got to see a lot more once she was settled. We hired a private car and although the driver didn't want to leave the windows down we had to for Brenda, so we could go visit one of the church's. You gotta change things up a bit when you're traveling with a dog and when you have tour guides and taxi drivers who are willing to help it sure makes the traveling easier.

Of course, we did have to tip a lot for the service but they were memories that I will NEVER forget!

You know what you can and can't do.......enjoy as much as you can!! And, come back and tell us all about it!

I don't know how anyone gets their dogs to wear something on their paws. Wex wanted no part of that!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I've actually been trying to get Scooter to accept booties since he was about 4 months old. He will walk with them on for short distances. I'm getting ready to order new ones from Ruffwear that are more resiliant, since the first ones were the cheap ones from Petsmart.

My plan is to start with the Bark n' Boot liners around the house, then progress to the Grip Trex. That way, we will be ready once he is fully ready for the super hot or ultra cold pavement - one of these days.

Speaking of Scooter, he's been at the trainer since August 20th. I finally get him back next Thursday. I can't wait!!!!! Missing my puppy! He is going to be a bit out of sorts for many reasons. He will have been away from home, plus we will have been doing lots of moving of things while he has been gone.

I'm moving his kennel from the living room to the dining room. He is still a puppy. He does not get the run of the house when we sleep or when we are not at home, but has a nice crate with a couple of good toys and chews in it. I'm also changing cubes at work, so when he comes back to work with me, it will be to a slightly different space where he will have his own space (and be away from the disapproving colleague).

We also bought a travel kennel and realized how big it is, and now we are looking at having to buy a new car. When will it end!

So, here is a question for some of you - once he is fully trained (in a couple of years) do we take the travel kennel along on the cruise ship? If so, any issues with checking it on the plane while empty? The drive from STL to FLL is REALLY LONG and I'd rather not do it. We love our winter Caribbean cruises while the home skies are grey and snowy.

I've actually been trying to get Scooter to accept booties since he was about 4 months old. He will walk with them on for short distances. I'm getting ready to order new ones from Ruffwear that are more resiliant, since the first ones were the cheap ones from Petsmart.

My plan is to start with the Bark n' Boot liners around the house, then progress to the Grip Trex. That way, we will be ready once he is fully ready for the super hot or ultra cold pavement - one of these days.

Speaking of Scooter, he's been at the trainer since August 20th. I finally get him back next Thursday. I can't wait!!!!! Missing my puppy! He is going to be a bit out of sorts for many reasons. He will have been away from home, plus we will have been doing lots of moving of things while he has been gone.

I'm moving his kennel from the living room to the dining room. He is still a puppy. He does not get the run of the house when we sleep or when we are not at home, but has a nice crate with a couple of good toys and chews in it. I'm also changing cubes at work, so when he comes back to work with me, it will be to a slightly different space where he will have his own space (and be away from the disapproving colleague).

We also bought a travel kennel and realized how big it is, and now we are looking at having to buy a new car. When will it end!

So, here is a question for some of you - once he is fully trained (in a couple of years) do we take the travel kennel along on the cruise ship? If so, any issues with checking it on the plane while empty? The drive from STL to FLL is REALLY LONG and I'd rather not do it. We love our winter Caribbean cruises while the home skies are grey and snowy.

If your only going to use the kennel on the ship for sleeping. Can't he just sleep next to the bed on the floor? One less thing to bring.

If your only going to use the kennel on the ship for sleeping. Can't he just sleep next to the bed on the floor? One less thing to bring.

I guess that will be something we work on. Right now, he is used to sleeping in a kennel. But of course, he is currently 9 months old. Definitely still training. A long way to go from here!

I don't know how anyone gets their dogs to wear something on their paws. Wex wanted no part of that!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I don't know!!!!

WARNING: The worst thing for our dogs to walk, sit or lay on is the decking around the pool area of our cruise ships. In the sun it can get hot enough to burn their paw pads after just a few minutes.

Be careful when out on deck with your dog.

I guess that will be something we work on. Right now, he is used to sleeping in a kennel. But of course, he is currently 9 months old. Definitely still training. A long way to go from here!

Barb, once he's fully trained and able to cruise with you, you won't want to bring his crate everywhere.

I try and get a cabin with a couch in it and I ask for some extra towels, I line the couch with the towels and invite Horton to sleep on the couch. I've also been in cabins that didn't have a couch and I've asked for extra bedding, made a bed, in a corner and invited Brenda to sleep there.

On my next cruise, 19 days to Panama, I'm driving to the Port [san Pedro] and I'm bringing Horton a dog bed, along with artificial turf. I'm rolling it up, taping it in position and checking it with my carry-on's. I use a granny cart when I board the ship and it holds a myriad of dog and people supplies.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I do have the boots for Henri's feet - she doesn't like them, but she will wear them if she has to. The pavement can get pretty hot where we live during the summer, so I am always pretty careful. I have heard a few horror stories about burnt paws.

Dianne

I am sure that you have missed Scooter so much! It will be so nice to have him home.

We don't take a kennel when we travel. If there is a big comfy chair or couch available I put a big blanket on it and let Henri sleep there. She thinks she is on vacation too!

I can't believe how much money I have spent on her (but she is worth it). I just bought a roll up bed for the airplane and a life vest for the cruise ship. I also bought her a dog hammock for the back seat of the car. You are right, when will it end? My kids say that I am spending their inheritance on the dog!

Dianne

I am sure that you have missed Scooter so much! It will be so nice to have him home.

We don't take a kennel when we travel. If there is a big comfy chair or couch available I put a big blanket on it and let Henri sleep there. She thinks she is on vacation too!

I can't believe how much money I have spent on her (but she is worth it). I just bought a roll up bed for the airplane and a life vest for the cruise ship. I also bought her a dog hammock for the back seat of the car. You are right, when will it end? My kids say that I am spending their inheritance on the dog!

Dianne

OMG! Dianne, do we have the same kids? I know I spend a fortune on Horton and I'm proud to say I'll continue to do so!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I have a service dog and was wondering if anyone knows what paper work I need to take my dog on shore. I am traveling with NCL going to San Juan (Puerto Rico); St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands); Philipsburg (St. Maarten); Tortola (British Virgin Islands.

Do we need special passports. I am from Canada and want to travel with my service dog.

OMG! Dianne, do we have the same kids? I know I spend a fortune on Horton and I'm proud to say I'll continue to do so!

My son says that since he and his sister moved out I've turned Scooter into my new furry kid. Every time he shows up, I've got something new for the dog.

My kids are spoiled, too, though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I have a service dog and was wondering if anyone knows what paper work I need to take my dog on shore. I am traveling with NCL going to San Juan (Puerto Rico); St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands); Philipsburg (St. Maarten); Tortola (British Virgin Islands.

Do we need special passports. I am from Canada and want to travel with my service dog.

Hi, if you look back to: POST #17564 - This is the form that you will need your Vet to fill out and sign for you.

Ask him or her to also give a short letter stating that your dog is in perfect health to travel.

Any and ALL paperwork that you may have in reference to your dog is NEVER too much.

Make a few copies so that you can give one to registration, to the Purser's Desk onboard and keep the original and a copy of everything for yourself.

Have a copy of everything when you visit each port, [this will help if your questioned again when re-boarding the ship or when you're on an excursion.]

Be prepared to be stopped and asked questions and even asked if they can touch your dog. Give yourself lots of time to go from place to place on and off the ship!

Have fun!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz