Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Beautiful photo of your daughter, Den! Also the marvelous Alaska pics.

We're about to sail away from Ketchikan after a day of absolutely perfect sunny weather for our (long) boat ride to the Misty Fjords National Monument. We also had spectacular weather sailing from Seattle Monday. Lucky us!

Holland America's Maasdam placed the relief station (three dogs on board) on the deck below ours, deck 5, all the way aft....a crew space with an overhang but it gets wet. I like forward on the Lower Promenade much better.

The "three-seater" relief station is a bit odd and messy. One narrow strip of sod is in a large 4X4 box, so there's empty wood on either side. At each side of that box is a flat smaller piece of cardboard with a smaller yet square of sod in the center. Very strange. Pee runs out onto the cardboard and then the decking, so it's wet and muddy. Lots of doggie paw prints.

I guess the crew figured all three dogs might arrive at the same time and each want to go simultaneously. (Where's my camera?) Or that we three dog partners would somehow find each other, have a meeting, flip a coin, and decide who gets which hunk of sod. As if dogs operate that way.

There's a nice trash can and a bin filled with airline-type barf bags! I guess for use as poop bags. I find this whole setup hilarious. Or I would except twice today we found poop left in the box by someone. Bob scooped it up, but - come on, guys...!

Raylene's been great about using it. She probably likes sniffing the presence of other dogs, at least for now. I was glad to find a scruffy grass place ashore today.

Stay tuned.

We're about to sail away from Ketchikan after a day of absolutely perfect sunny weather for our (long) boat ride to the Misty Fjords National Monument. We also had spectacular weather sailing from Seattle Monday. Lucky us!

Holland America's Maasdam placed the relief station (three dogs on board) on the deck below ours, deck 5, all the way aft....a crew space with an overhang but it gets wet. I like forward on the Lower Promenade much better.

The "three-seater" relief station is a bit odd and messy. One narrow strip of sod is in a large 4X4 box, so there's empty wood on either side. At each side of that box is a flat smaller piece of cardboard with a smaller yet square of sod in the center. Very strange. Pee runs out onto the cardboard and then the decking, so it's wet and muddy. Lots of doggie paw prints.

I guess the crew figured all three dogs might arrive at the same time and each want to go simultaneously. (Where's my camera?) Or that we three dog partners would somehow find each other, have a meeting, flip a coin, and decide who gets which hunk of sod. As if dogs operate that way.

There's a nice trash can and a bin filled with airline-type barf bags! I guess for use as poop bags. I find this whole setup hilarious. Or I would except twice today we found poop left in the box by someone. Bob scooped it up, but - come on, guys...!

Raylene's been great about using it. She probably likes sniffing the presence of other dogs, at least for now. I was glad to find a scruffy grass place ashore today.

Stay tuned.

That sounds crazy! We've always had the box at the front on the promenade. You would think with 3 dogs onboard they would have made it better. Love to see pic.

Stay tuned.

Chris, talk to the Hotel Manager and have them FILL the box with sod or wood shavings or something that will soak up the urine. Tracking urine, water or anything else onto the decking or carpeting is absolutely ridiculous, unhealthy and unacceptable. Also, ask for a large piece of card stock and a Sharpie Marker and write "PLEASE PICK UP THE SOLID WASTE FROM YOUR DOG AND DISPOSE OF IT INTO THE CONTAINER PROVIDED!"

Geeezzzzz! What does it take for these ships to understand that we want a clean, dry acceptable area for our dogs to relieve themselves.

And, people, PICK UP AFTER YOUR OWN DOG, PLEASE!!!! I do realize that some people can not pick up after their dog......in this case, please ask a crew member to assist you. Be ready with extra tips for this kind of help!!!

Stay tuned.

That does sound hilarious. Wouldn't it be nice if the cruise lines consulted with service dog owners on the proper placement and filler for the relief boxes? I guess that would make too much sense!

Have a great time!

Dianne

That does sound hilarious. Wouldn't it be nice if the cruise lines consulted with service dog owners on the proper placement and filler for the relief boxes? I guess that would make too much sense!

Have a great time!

Dianne

And, just when you think you've found a connection with the "Special Need's Dept." or the "Access Compliance Speicalist" of your particular cruise line, you actually get onboard and NOTHING is where you've requested it and NO ONE knows what you're talking about. And, the aforementioned person, who you thought you had a relationship with, no longer works for the cruise line.

I thought taking my newborn baby for her first visit to the Pediatrician's office was complex and difficult......HAH! Travel with a Service Dog opens up a whole can of worms that can make your head spin.

To all of our friends in the south who may have suffered flooding or other damage from the Hurricane, our hearts go out to you and we hope that your lives can go back to "normal" as soon as possible.

Take care of yourselves and your furbabies!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Hey Everybody! Gibson felt the first quake in OK and started barking. Then our basement door started rattling. DH came downstairs to say it was shaking the bed. We are 180 miles away outside Kansas City. Hope all who are near OKC are alright. Looks like smaller magnitude ones continue to occur.

Mayor of Lurkervile reporting in!

Thanks, Beckie

Hey Everybody! Gibson felt the first quake in OK and started barking. Then our basement door started rattling. DH came downstairs to say it was shaking the bed. We are 180 miles away outside Kansas City. Hope all who are near OKC are alright. Looks like smaller magnitude ones continue to occur.

Thanks, Beckie

If you want to feel a "real" earthquake, move to California. :eek:

Thanks, Beckie

Glad you are okay! Living in California we have been through quite a few earthqukes, but they are still scary!

Dianne

Just because there are golden retriever fans on this thread I thought you might enjoy this story:

Romeo the dog pulled alive from Italy earthquake rubble after 9 days

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F199302%2Fh_52997491.jpg

Oh! Walt! Thank you so much for sharing this amazing story! Our hearts are with you Romeo and we hope that your life is better for you!

His eyes show the gratitude in his heart. I love these dogs!

Thanks,

Beckie

Beckie, Morey and I survived the 1994 Northridge earthquake and although it was before I had a Service Dog, I'm glad I didn't have to worry about having to take care of dog at the time. Now I've got Horton and my heart and mind would go to him first.

I don't know what he'd do or how he'd react. I can live the rest of my life without ever knowing, thank you!!!

I'm glad your all okay!

Living in the glorious weather that L.A. offers makes living in the fear of the "big one" almost non-existent!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Cindy, welcome and a big welcome to "Jake!"

What breed of dog is Jake?

There is "mulch" and then there's "mulch!" What I mean is there are different textures of mulch out there. If the mulch has sharp edges or is difficult to step on, of course our dogs are going to balk at it. The best mulch is "cypress mulch", I buy it at lowe's and it comes in a large, compressed bag.

I spread the mulch in the box and put my artificial turf [i buy the large piece at Kahootz Pet Store, it lasts for years], I place it on top of the mulch and Horton loves it. The grass is easy to step on and doesn't allow for mulch to be tracked all over the place. I change out the mulch about once a week.

I pick up the artificial turf [daily] and expose the mulch and the back side of the grass [after I spray both with clorox spray], every morning, before I leave for work. I let the sun do it's job on drying out both the grass and the mulch. When we get home from work, I cover the mulch with the grass for overnight and repeat every day!

For the potty box in the underground garage, at work; I have "Doggy in The City", a company that comes and delivers real grass sod, every two weeks. It is placed in a 5x5 box and Horton loves it. This service costs me $80.00 per month. Once I retire I'll transfer this to use at home.

Horton only uses potty box's in his home and work life. Unless we're traveling, this is very normal for him. I trained him and Brenda to use the potty box and he doesn't even think twice when we're cruising.

If I'm driving to the dock and parking my own car, I bring a rolled-up piece of artificial turf to guarantee Horton's comfort zone with whatever the ship uses as filler. This is not as easy to do if you're flying to the pier.

On our last cruise, onboard the Pacific Princess, the mulch was more like tree bark; it was in large bulky, clumps, had sharp edges and was very difficult for Horton to walk on. I had to stomp on the stuff to break it up and asked for a large broom so that I could spread it out more evenly........it hurt for me to step on it, with my shoes on....I can't imagine what it felt like on Horton's paws. The ships don't always use their best judgement, which is why I bring the artificial turf to lay on top of what they call "filler!" It just makes for a more pleasant experience for Horton and for me......with no angry feelings towards the maintenance crew!

Sounds like your used to traveling with Jake, cruising just has a few more complications than road trips. Once you get both of you settled it's so much fun.

Be ready for your fellow passengers to love on Jake.......give yourself lots of time and do explain what Jake does and how important it is for him NOT to be distracted from doing his job! Have fun!!!!

And, ask all the questions you want and come back and tell us all about your first experience with cruising with Jake! You're going to love it!

Jake is half Labradoodle and half Goldendoodle, so I call him a double doodle :)

I might look into taking a piece of artificial turf. Would they have any issues if a packed a ziplock bag of grass clippings? (to make it smell like home)

I do not have the potty box at my house, so I am not able to train as much as I would like. I am trying to keep this cruise a secret from my DH and I have not come up with a good reason to have him build one at home. Although, I am thinking about looking for a job, maybe I will tell him I need to train him for a possible job in the city ;)

I just booked the cruise over the weekend online, now I need to call Carnival tomorrow and get them to send me the necessary paperwork. We are only stopping in Nassau and Half Moon Cay. I was a little nervous booking online because their offices were closed and the 800 number could not give me any details except that I would be ok to book online and get the details to them on Tuesday about the SA.

This will be the first time we have been away from the farm for non-business and without kids in 10 years. Yes, vacation is overdue.

My mind was put at ease after reading this looooong thread and I think we can handle this.

The pictures are of Jake when he is riding the tractor with me. He looks out the window for the first few hours, then he just hangs out and waits till we are done. If I climb out of the cab to adjust something, he jumps in my seat. He has been a life saver. I do not notice my blood sugar dropping too low especially in the summer. First sign for me is sweating. This summer has been the hottest that I can remember, high 90's and 80% humidity so Jake has been busy :)

Just a heads up that I was doing my homework and checking the USDA website to make sure that none of the requirements have changed to bring my service dog Henri on our upcoming cruise to the Panama Canal.

Lo and behold there are now new international health certificates for Colombia and Panama. Just when I thought I was all organized, I have to add two more forms. Now I need a different form for every country we are visiting. Along with all of the other documentation I will be bringing, I will definitely be killing a few trees!

Dianne

Just a heads up that I was doing my homework and checking the USDA website to make sure that none of the requirements have changed to bring my service dog Henri on our upcoming cruise to the Panama Canal.

Lo and behold there are now new international health certificates for Colombia and Panama. Just when I thought I was all organized, I have to add two more forms. Now I need a different form for every country we are visiting. Along with all of the other documentation I will be bringing, I will definitely be killing a few trees!

Dianne

Dianne, I called my Vet [because, I will be doing your same intinerary in November.] He is a USDA Approved Vet and he said that the Aphis 7001 with all current immunizations including the Rabies Vacc., along with a Health Cert [attesting to the dogs fur/skin/teeth condtion], and Micro Chip info. is all that is needed for each country. He said to make sure that each country had an original copy of their own. Horton will be seeing him for; Rabies/DHLPP update 3 weeks before we leave.

The forms from the various countries have all the same information on them except for imbarkation and debarkation ports.

I am going to provide CCI's paperwork of his intial immunization and neuter records.

They'll have all they will need to allow Horton to be transported from L.A. to Panama and back. Horton will NOT be getting off the ship, except to go shopping on the various piers that have shopping venues on them.

No rainforest, no jungles, no deep sea diving, no bus/train tours and no zip-lining or para sailing for Horton!

Edited by wizard-of-roz