Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Dianne, you've become a very savvy traveler. I bought a 21" rolling suitcase just for Horton's stuff! I'm going to make individual bags just because it'll be cleaner than bringing his salmon oil and chewable vitamins separate. I'm going to roll-up some artificial turf and bring a bed [Horton's not a good floor sleeper], he likes a bed and for 19 days, that's a long time to expect him to create new habits.

I'm bringing a "granny-cart" to carry all his stuff onboard.....the worst part is putting it all out on the conveyor belt and then packing it up in the cart again, while we go through TSA. Depending on how I'm feeling, I may leave the grass and bed behind, when I leave. Although, I'm going to need them again next December on my 15 day to Hawaii, we'll see!

Oh yes, I forgot we are bringing the artificial grass too, not to mention the life vest, booties and her blanket! Don't tell anyone, but I might cover the couch with a big blanket and let her sleep there.

Dianne

Oh yes, I forgot we are bringing the artificial grass too, not to mention the life vest, booties and her blanket! Don't tell anyone, but I might cover the couch with a big blanket and let her sleep there.

Dianne

The cabin we're in doesn't have a couch. So disappointing. It's one of the reason's I like to cruise Carnival every once in a while, they ALWAYS have a couch in their cabins.

I ask the cabin Steward for extra pool towels and I line the couch with them and it becomes Horton's bed. But, I promise NOT to tell anyone! ;)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

FYI: Depending on the ship/cruise line and or cabin you won't always have a couch in your cabin.

Princess doesn't have couch's in all their cabins. If they do, they're not plastic [like Carnival], although somewhat comfortable, I do prefer a fabric sofa to one that I stick to, if I'm wearing shorts!

Carnival has couch's in all their cabins [i believe.] Holland America, Celebrity, NCL, RCCL are also a hit or miss on having a couch in the cabin. So, if a couch is important to you, ask your TA about whether there is one in your cabin.

I remember on the Pacific Princess there were couch's in ALL the cabins except the one's that had adjoining rooms. Definitely a nice touch.

I ask the cabin Steward for extra pool towels and I line the couch with them and it becomes Horton's bed. But, I promise NOT to tell anyone! ;)

I do the same. Brought her bed the first cruise, but the couch really works best. She can see us, and she can see out the sliding door if we have a verandah. The cabin stewards often make towel animals for Miss Raylene.

At the end of the cruise, the towels with dog hair come off and the couch is fine.

All the Holland America rooms I've had did have a small couch. Very nice, though limited floor space for 2 humans + dog unless you spring for a mini suite. No suites on the lower promenade deck, unfortunately, and that's my favorite location. Right out the door for walks to the relief box or for exercise.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

We have something called "the dog hog" it's a roll up bed we take with us. Mostly use it on the plane. No way the king is going to lay on the floor in the cabin. We are lucky he allows us in the bed. If there's a couch, I sleep on it. It's the only way I get a good night's sleep.

This year we have a huge balcony, so hoping to have the potty box there. Hopefully it works because Wex doesn't go out on the balcony. I think it's the glass because he doesn't like glass elevators either. He did go out on this balcony and didn't seem to mind. I've got some balcony pics. Takes 2 pics to fit the whole balcony in.

Edited by rangeley

I do the same. Brought her bed the first cruise, but the couch really works best. She can see us, and she can see out the sliding door if we have a verandah. The cabin stewards often make towel animals for Miss Raylene.

At the end of the cruise, the towels with dog hair come off and the couch is fine.

All the Holland America rooms I've had did have a small couch. Very nice, though limited floor space for 2 humans + dog unless you spring for a mini suite. No suites on the lower promenade deck, unfortunately, and that's my favorite location. Right out the door for walks to the relief box or for exercise.

The last time we were on the Oosterdam we had a Mini Suite and they put the potty box on our patio [which was huge.] They didn't want to but after much pleading they finally gave in and put it there. It made for a more relaxing cruise. I think the cabin may have been a handicapped cabin.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

We have something called "the dog hog" it's a roll up bed we take with us. Mostly use it on the plane. No way the king is going to lay on the floor in the cabin. We are lucky he allows us in the bed. If there's a couch, I sleep on it. It's the only way I get a good night's sleep.

This year we have a huge balcony, so hoping to have the potty box there. Hopefully it works because Wex doesn't go out on the balcony. I think it's the glass because he doesn't like glass elevators either. He did go out on this balcony and didn't seem to mind. I've got some balcony pics. Takes 2 pics to fit the whole balcony in.

Brenda also hated glass elevators or floating staircases. Her refusals on either one were monumental!

Here's the dog hog. They don't make it any more. It rolls up and sling it over your shoulder. Light as a feather.

This is perfect. The bed I'm bringing doesn't roll-up so flat, it's going to be interesting to watch me and SIL trying to maneuver it through registration! :eek:

I taught my dog how to walk on water ...

Dog%20walks%20on%20water_zpsqou2sv4g.jpg

I love it!!!! This would be great if Service Dogs could do this. As I walk my dog near the pool area onboard a cruise, I'm sure lots of folks are wondering, "how's she going to handle it when her dog wants to jump in?" With our dogs, NEVER gonna happen!

I love it!!!! This would be great if Service Dogs could do this. As I walk my dog near the pool area onboard a cruise, I'm sure lots of folks are wondering, "how's she going to handle it when her dog wants to jump in?" With our dogs, NEVER gonna happen!

We have no worries about that. Our puddle jumper would never go in.

We have no worries about that. Our puddle jumper would never go in.

Get a Siberian Husky. Water - big no go. Snow & ice - big go go go.

Edited by Cuizer2

So funny. Raylene only gets in a pool if she falls in accidentally. But I'm sure she could walk on water if she felt like it.:)

Cindy, I found a dog hog bed on Amazon so I ordered it to use on our four flights. Hope it's that same thing you have and works out well. I'd been thinking about what to put on the floor of the plane.

That balcony is huge! Plenty of room for the relief box.

So funny. Raylene only gets in a pool if she falls in accidentally. But I'm sure she could walk on water if she felt like it.:)

Cindy, I found a dog hog bed on Amazon so I ordered it to use on our four flights. Hope it's that same thing you have and works out well. I'd been thinking about what to put on the floor of the plane.

That balcony is huge! Plenty of room for the relief box.

Off to Amazon I go. I'm going to get one too! Thanks Cindy and Chris!

Unfortunately, most Husky's don't make good Service Dogs. They always want to travel [even if it's without you!]

No kidding. They are also very good diggers and will howl if they hear a siren. Oh, and they have wonderful blue eyes ...

original.jpg

miniature-husky-puppies.jpg

0f6c44863bc8ef35ba1b9e5ce59e1342.jpg

112685037_297b2a1eb6_z.jpg

8836091296_07b96643a9_z.jpg

54699-puppies-siberian-husky-puppy.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2