Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

All,

Being on the "anywhere but here" plan I have decided to look at Bahamas cruise in January. I had looked at Coz. Mexico but now looking at Bahamas only. I found some information about vacs and certificate of health and some type of import form that costs $10 and has to be done in advance. --Does anyone have info on travel with SD in Bahamas?

Thanks!

All,

Being on the "anywhere but here" plan I have decided to look at Bahamas cruise in January. I had looked at Coz. Mexico but now looking at Bahamas only. I found some information about vacs and certificate of health and some type of import form that costs $10 and has to be done in advance. --Does anyone have info on travel with SD in Bahamas?

Thanks!

As always, check with your USDA certified veterinarian and with the Bahamas government travel's web site for information about bringing pets into the Bahamas (same rules apply for Service Dogs there for import purposes.) It's also a good idea to check again close to departure because country regulations change often.

Here is a link to the form I used earlier this year to apply for a permit for an April cruise.

https://forms.bahamas.gov.bs/documents/AGRI_Application%20to%20import%20Domestic%20Animals.pdf

I mailed this application by regular international mail a few months before sailing (and they returned the permit by mail) - the permit was good for one entry within one year. I included a copy of my dog's service dog ID paperwork and the $10 fee was waived.

(No guarantees that the above info has not changed, just sharing my experience.)

Anyone been to Tortola recently and know the requirements?

Cindy,

I'm not 100% sure but I think Tortola is the island that we needed to get the Tider test for Orson. It was the special blood test that had to be sent out to Kansas State University. They are a British Virgin Island and very strict. The island was not wheelchair friendly at all. We went into a large souvenir store and were thrown out because of Orson.

Cindy,

I'm not 100% sure but I think Tortola is the island that we needed to get the Tider test for Orson. It was the special blood test that had to be sent out to Kansas State University. They are a British Virgin Island and very strict. The island was not wheelchair friendly at all. We went into a large souvenir store and were thrown out because of Orson.

Ya I thought they might require that. They were building a shopping area at the port, so I thought maybe I'd do the paperwork. Not!

Ya I thought they might require that. They were building a shopping area at the port, so I thought maybe I'd do the paperwork. Not!

If any port that I'm visiting requires a Titer on my 7 year old dog who's been on Heartguard and NexGard [or some other form of flea and tick abatement], I simply will NOT take him off the ship.

If my Vet doesn't require such a test for Horton to travel then Costa Rica, Guatemala, Panama, Mexico, Nicaraqua and Colombia will have to take a back seat to all the paperwork I will be providing from CCI and my Vet.

If any port that I'm visiting requires a Titer on my 7 year old dog who's been on Heartguard and NexGard [or some other form of flea and tick abatement], I simply will NOT take him off the ship.

If my Vet doesn't require such a test for Horton to travel then Costa Rica, Guatemala, Panama, Mexico, Nicaraqua and Colombia will have to take a back seat to all the paperwork I will be providing from CCI and my Vet.

Forget that. If we want to get off, we have the kids or maybe friends that would take him for an hour.

Forget that. If we want to get off, we have the kids or maybe friends that would take him for an hour.

When you're traveling alone with your dog there are places like churches in the U.S. and abroad that don't have to allow your dog in. Although churches allow the public in, they are NOT considered public entities, they are private.

Be aware of this when you're traveling to Europe and even in the U.S. and you're sightseeing. I love to visit churches, especially when they are hundreds of years old. They're so lovely and so full of character.

Boy what a shock to our systems this vacation is gonna be. We are leaving for Vancouver, BC on Saturday and it will be in the 90's with 90% humidity here. Temps in Vancouver and Alaska are in the 50's at night and 60's during the day. It's gonna be interesting. Orson is gonna love the cool temps.

Boy what a shock to our systems this vacation is gonna be. We are leaving for Vancouver, BC on Saturday and it will be in the 90's with 90% humidity here. Temps in Vancouver and Alaska are in the 50's at night and 60's during the day. It's gonna be interesting. Orson is gonna love the cool temps.

Sounds like just what Orson needs!

I know you think this may be his last cruise......and, then he'll get to retire and enjoy the really good life.

Make this one the best cruise ever, and YOU have a wonderful time with your lovely family.

Bon Voyage ♥

Maybe he'll shed less and his coat will get all thick and fluffy.

I'm for anything than means less shedding, and we're on our way to those Alaska temps, just two weeks from now, too.

Bring back photos...Have fun!

Gibson is super jealous of Orson getting to travel to cooler temperatures. (Watching the Royals game on television last night. The announcers said the temperature it felt like on the field was between 103 and 112. Seriously, we need a break in the heat!) He wants to know if he can be a stowaway on your trip. LOL! Well, maybe his Grammie is really the one who wants to go to Alaska.

Have a wonderful trip! All of us in Lurkerville will be anticipating great stories and photos.

Beckie

Maybe he'll shed less and his coat will get all thick and fluffy.

I'm for anything than means less shedding, and we're on our way to those Alaska temps, just two weeks from now, too.

Bring back photos...Have fun!

Chris, as much as I adore and love my Horton Jeffrey, this is my last Lab or Golden Retriever. Unless, CCI starts training Labradoodles or another kind of more allergy free dog, I'm pretty much done with the shedding.

My allergies are so bad that I had to miss a day of work yesterday because I woke up with swollen eyes, throat and nasal passages. Went to the doctor and she said it's all related to Horton Jeffrey. I do as much as I can to alleviate the shedding [short of shaving him], of which my groomer recommended. But, the Black dogs lose their shiny, beautiful coats and look so darn weird when they're shaved.

I take allergy pills daily, nasal sprays and even got a shot yesterday. I feel better today but by the weekend it will start all over again. I used to go into a full blown asthma attack. Thank goodness, that's under control. By the time the rest of my allergies are under control I'll be too old to even care for a dog!!!

My next Service Dog will have to be a Standard Poodle......I'm already looking into it. I have a friend with a black and a white one. When I go to her house it's wonderful not seeing hair everywhere and I can get down and play with them without coming out of it with watery eyes and sneezing.

Horton has at least 3 - 4 years left of work, as do I. Then, we'll see!

Chris, as much as I adore and love my Horton Jeffrey, this is my last Lab or Golden Retriever. Unless, CCI starts training Labradoodles or another kind of more allergy free dog, I'm pretty much done with the shedding.

That just shows how much you love Horton. That's a lot to go through. I love the labs - but I don't have any allergies, thank goodness!

Dianne

Bon voyage! I hope Orson has a fabulous time. Will be looking forward to hearing about your trip, especially and wheelchair friendly excursions. We will be going to Alaska in May.

Dianne

That just shows how much you love Horton. That's a lot to go through. I love the labs - but I don't have any allergies, thank goodness!

Dianne

What's not to love......God's perfect dog, that's what Labs and Goldens are!

When people tell me their allergic and could I sit somewhere else......I totally get it! :o

I have a friend who is highly allergic to dogs. She is turning in her 13th CCI pup today for advanced training. She is also on the list for a CCI hearing dog.

You get the total Organization when you get one of their dogs. You can do as much or as little once you're part of their family, as you well know!

Again, Bon~Voyage!

Jagger and I graduated! Woo-hoo!

(I'm the one with the cat on my shirt)

Holly

Holly, I have giant goose-bumps all over for you and for Jagger. CONGRATULATIONS! You did it! You both did it!!!!! I'm so proud of you!!! :)

Welcome, to the most amazing and wonderful world of traveling with your Service Dog!

GOOD JOB!!!!!!

Jagger and I graduated! Woo-hoo!

(I'm the one with the cat on my shirt)

Holly

Woo hoo! Congratulations Holly - that is so exciting. Henri and I graduated one year ago today. I can't tell you how much she means to me. I am so glad that you will now have Jagger full-time!

Dianne