Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Chris, perfect. txcruser, make 3 copies of everything [having too much information about your dog is NOT possible], you will be asked for the paperwork when you register [before boarding], make sure they have their own copy. It will save you time as they go looking for a copy machine. Keep the original with you and give the other copy to the Purser's Desk, onboard the ship.

Make sure that your dog is ALWAYS acting appropriately and do allow your fellow passengers a time when they may pat him/her. They're so curious about everything about your dog and they're missing their own furbabies at home.

Also, while at the Purser's Desk ask them where they've placed the potty box and ask to be taken to it. You may leave your potty bags for solid pick up or, they usually will provide some sort of plastic bags for you. If you need more filler or want it rearranged this is the time to speak up.

Thanks for the advice. I am feeling so much better about going on a cruise. I read about so many people who stay home but to me that's what having a Service Dog is about. Thanks again.

Need advice. We will be flying from Florida to Seattle soon for our Alaska cruise, and I have not flown with Raylene before.

Our first flight to Dallas leaves at 11 a.m, and is three hours long (if all goes well). Two hour layover in Dallas when I would take her to a relief location (if all goes well.) The second flight Dallas/Seattle is five hours.

Ray's routine is to pee and eat her morning meal at 6 a.m. At about 7:15, I take her on a 30 minute walk to poop. Can I stick with that routine on our flight day? Or am I making a mistake to give her food the day of flying? There would be 5 hours between eating and take-off.

If I don't feed her in the morning, it will be 27 hours from her feeding the night before until she eats once we land in Seattle. I'm picturing that sad face and a lot of nudging to remind me she hasn't eaten.

I've heard I can give her some ice chips but not a full bowl of water.

I sent this question to her training organization, but meantime wanted to know what you have done. Coming home, I've already decided no a.m. food because it is an early flight.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Interesting point, as I had not noticed and we probably have about a third of our faculty, at least our newer faculty, who are Asian. I'll need to be sensitive to that in particular as I move about campus. It is absolutely amazing how few newly minted PhDs there are in STEM fields there are who are NOT from India or Asia!

In other news, I have the most amazing boss! She noticed that Scooter was struggling to keep his attention where it needed to be in the office (we are in a bit of a cube farm) and asked if I wanted to trade placed with a colleague in a corner. The colleague has a secluded corner that will be perfect for a stay-rug and I can rearrange things so that my workspace keeps Scooter right there, yet secluded from everything else.

Next up is to find better meeting places with faculty and students , but this new cube might work for that as well if I do it right. The cultural discussion brought it back around, as did a colleague who asked me not to bring him due to allergies. Poor pup, he is doing such a great job learning how to behave in offices and classrooms this summer, but everyone comes back and campus will be buzzing again in just two short weeks! He will be on overload!

Barb, moving to a quieter, more congenial cube for Scooter sounds perfect. Horton and I are the very first cube that EVERYONE has to pass and of course he has to say "hello" to EVERYONE! He's a social butterfly. He's slowly learning that that is what his crate is for. He can go inside and be left alone at his will.

I'm sorry about your colleague who asked that you not bring him because of allergies. It took a long time to realize that that is their problem not mine. And, that's what allergy pills are for!

Barb, moving to a quieter, more congenial cube for Scooter sounds perfect. Horton and I are the very first cube that EVERYONE has to pass and of course he has to say "hello" to EVERYONE! He's a social butterfly. He's slowly learning that that is what his crate is for. He can go inside and be left alone at his will.

I'm sorry about your colleague who asked that you not bring him because of allergies. It took a long time to realize that that is their problem not mine. And, that's what allergy pills are for!

Roz, I am learning so much from you!

The colleague with the allergies was very good about it. He really just asked that we find a place to meet other than his private office, which is easy to do. We can simply use a conference room. We have been working on redesigning a sequence of math classes for the last couple of years, along with publishing a couple of papers, and up until now, have often worked in his office because he has a private one as opposed to the cube farm I'm in. That's the difference between faculty and staff on a college campus.

The faculty member next door immediately piped up with, "we can all meet in my office!"

There is one in my office who is very negative, but I deal with him. He actually sent a rather passive-aggressive email the day he left on vacation, letting me know, CC'd to the manager, that the office was no place for a dog. That was before Scooter had officially been accepted into the training program, but was after we had determined he was alerting. It was kind of silly - did he think I was bringing the dog into the office without the permission of the manager and director? Really? My response was to email the entire team to let them know why Scooter was coming to the office in writing, that he had been hitting, but that he had not been formally admitted into training yet but that campus had approved him coming to the office. After all, I had secured all the proper permissions. My DH was the one who pointed out he was being passive-aggressive. It is about the 3rd time we've had an incident, though. It's just how he is, after 31 years in the military. I don't do things the way he expects them to be done all the time. So the boss moving me means I'm further away from him. :)

Wow, didn't realize that flight would be five hours! Seems like you could drive it in that time. (I know you really can't, just seems long) :eek:

Just took another look, and it is 4 hours and 20 minutes headed west Dallas to Seattle, so that's a little better than 5 hours.

"Only" 4 hours when we return east, due to tail winds.

I worry about those delays where your plane is sitting on the tarmac for an extra hour or two due to some issue or the other - weather, mechanical, etc. Next thing you know, you have 5 minutes to run through the airport to make your connection. We've all had bad flying experiences. But no point worrying - after all, I was worried before our first cruise about the dreaded "relief box," and that turned out OK!

Roz, I am learning so much from you!

The colleague with the allergies was very good about it. He really just asked that we find a place to meet other than his private office, which is easy to do. We can simply use a conference room. We have been working on redesigning a sequence of math classes for the last couple of years, along with publishing a couple of papers, and up until now, have often worked in his office because he has a private one as opposed to the cube farm I'm in. That's the difference between faculty and staff on a college campus.

The faculty member next door immediately piped up with, "we can all meet in my office!"

There is one in my office who is very negative, but I deal with him. He actually sent a rather passive-aggressive email the day he left on vacation, letting me know, CC'd to the manager, that the office was no place for a dog. That was before Scooter had officially been accepted into the training program, but was after we had determined he was alerting. It was kind of silly - did he think I was bringing the dog into the office without the permission of the manager and director? Really? My response was to email the entire team to let them know why Scooter was coming to the office in writing, that he had been hitting, but that he had not been formally admitted into training yet but that campus had approved him coming to the office. After all, I had secured all the proper permissions. My DH was the one who pointed out he was being passive-aggressive. It is about the 3rd time we've had an incident, though. It's just how he is, after 31 years in the military. I don't do things the way he expects them to be done all the time. So the boss moving me means I'm further away from him. :)

Barb, I've been on my job for 19 years. From day one I wasn't crazy about the office manager. She was extremely haughty and thought the world should think the way she did and, that it began and ended with her. Slowly, ever so slowly, she and I became mortal enemies. When I brought a Service Dog into the mix [she didn't like dogs], about 5 years after I started, our world's really collided! She NEVER liked Brenda and Brenda would ALWAYS avoid her [funny how dogs know whether people are bad or good!]

I like my job and the money so here I am, 14 years and 2 dogs later. This woman was finally fired by a new CEO who was hired, and I was promoted.

Hang in there. If your job feels right and Scooter is doing what he needs to do for you and is treated with respect from the majority of your co-workers, keep your head up and your eyes on the prize!!!!

Thanks for the advice. I am feeling so much better about going on a cruise. I read about so many people who stay home but to me that's what having a Service Dog is about. Thanks again.

That's exactly what having a Service Dog is about. And, you are so welcome!

Need advice. We will be flying from Florida to Seattle soon for our Alaska cruise, and I have not flown with Raylene before.

Our first flight to Dallas leaves at 11 a.m, and is three hours long (if all goes well). Two hour layover in Dallas when I would take her to a relief location (if all goes well.) The second flight Dallas/Seattle is five hours.

Ray's routine is to pee and eat her morning meal at 6 a.m. At about 7:15, I take her on a 30 minute walk to poop. Can I stick with that routine on our flight day? Or am I making a mistake to give her food the day of flying? There would be 5 hours between eating and take-off.

If I don't feed her in the morning, it will be 27 hours from her feeding the night before until she eats once we land in Seattle. I'm picturing that sad face and a lot of nudging to remind me she hasn't eaten.

I sent this question to her training organization, but meantime wanted to know what you have done. Coming home, I've already decided no a.m. food because it is an early flight.

I ALWAYS feed Horton before we travel. He literally puts himself into a nervous state if he hasn't eaten. He eats between 6 and 7 am. Then he will immediately go out to his potty box and pee and poop. If I'm catching a flight I make sure that he has a chance to pee/poop again before we board. Then it's ice chips [only]. And, not too much. If it's an extra long flight I will feed him less breakfast, save the rest in a zip lock bag, put it in my purse and feed him a small meal while flying, or just have it in case of a layover or delay.

You know your dog. Some dogs can't eat even before a car ride.

You know how quickly your dog needs to go potty after eating but if you practice with him in feeding him a little bit at a time and holding it longer, he'll be able to do it.

Horton knows that I can't take him potty right after he eats his dinner [between 1-3] because that's when I have to go to meetings. He's learned to "hold it" until I come out of the meetings and then we immediately go to his potty box [which is in the parking garage of my office.]

He's a wonderful traveler and has learned that I will have food for him and he doesn't need to get anxious about it.

Thanks, Roz - that's what I will do. I have a Facebook friend that I have never met in person but she has a mobility dog (black Lab) who has helped her since surgery that left her with one prosthetic leg. She takes flights with the dog to California a couple of times a year, and does the same - feeds his normal morning meal. So I am feeling much more confident having heard from two real-world experts!

Raylene doesn't get car sick and always seems to roll with the punches when we are in the RV, hotels, buses, and so on. I think she'll be fine (as long as I feed her!)

Well, it's a big two weeks for us! We start our Partner Training tomorrow. If all goes well - Jagger will have his "big boy vest" on the 13th. :)

Holly

Congrats Holly - I am sure that Jagger will be a super star!

Dianne

Next up is to find better meeting places with faculty and students , but this new cube might work for that as well if I do it right. The cultural discussion brought it back around, as did a colleague who asked me not to bring him due to allergies. Poor pup, he is doing such a great job learning how to behave in offices and classrooms this summer, but everyone comes back and campus will be buzzing again in just two short weeks! He will be on overload!

The new cubicle sounds like a perfect place for Scooter. As far as the person with the allergies goes, under the ADA allergies are not a valid reason for denying access to a service dog. Perhaps your colleague can be moved to an area that is not near you cubicle.

Dianne

Holly, this has been a long enduring process for you and Jagger. You've been patient and steadfast and you'll see, it will all pay off.

It surely has felt like you were having or adopting a baby. Once he's yours and is part of your world 100% then the real work will begin. That said, I can't imagine my world without a Service Dog in it. Even the moments when I'm picking up poop and shoveling litter or traveling in a new and foreign place looking for anything that I think he might go potty on. How easy it would be if he were to lift his leg and pee on a wall, tree or lamp post. But, how rude it does look and appear to anyone who's watching.

CCI teaches boys and girls alike to squat when they pee, it's so much more delicate and respectful!

Sometimes, if you could hear me under my breath, I'm saying inside my head; "GO JUST GO!" "I'M FREEZING, or, IT'S SO WINDY, or, IT'S SO HOT OUT HERE, JUST GO!" But, out my mouth comes the low key, gentle words of "HURRY" and he does!

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS to you HOLLY & JAGGER!

I worry about those delays where your plane is sitting on the tarmac for an extra hour or two due to some issue or the other - weather, mechanical, etc. Next thing you know, you have 5 minutes to run through the airport to make your connection. We've all had bad flying experiences. But no point worrying - after all, I was worried before our first cruise about the dreaded "relief box," and that turned out OK!

I haven’t taken a long flight with Henri, but it sounds like Raylene would be able to stick with her normal morning routine and have time to do what she needed to do before boarding the flight. Henri can hold it a long time if she wants to! When we are traveling, she usually goes a full day without pooping before she figures out that we aren’t going home and she might as well go (I think she much prefers to go poop at home; she never goes when we are out on a walk or away from home for the day).

It would be much worse for her to be hungry than to have to hold it. 27 hours without food would be torture for her. Henri’s head would be on my leg with those sad brown eyes looking at me for the entire plane trip! With the more convenient relief areas inside security I think that it should work out fine for you.

Dianne

That's exactly what having a Service Dog is about. And, you are so welcome!

That is exactly what a Service Dog is for! Don't stay home. I do know a lady that has a CCI dog who has been on a trip for four months and has left her service dog with friends. She often travels without her dog. I could never leave Henri to go on vacation or be separated from her for that long.

Dianne

That is exactly what a Service Dog is for! Don't stay home. I do know a lady that has a CCI dog who has been on a trip for four months and has left her service dog with friends. She often travels without her dog. I could never leave Henri to go on vacation or be separated from her for that long.

Dianne

Four months without her furry partner? I cannot imagine! What is she thinking! Here we are thinking about what will need to change 18 months to 2 years out. DH and I have been used to quite a few weekends away the last few years, along with me going to a number of conferences. We are looking at what the next two years or so will look like as we work to train Scooter.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I would stick with your routine. It sounds like you have plenty of time before the flight. But I would restrict the water a few hours before the flight. We flew on a 6 hour flight with Orson 3 years ago and he was fine. We are doing it again next week. Some ice chips during the flight is a good idea too. She will be fine.

I haven’t taken a long flight with Henri, but it sounds like Raylene would be able to stick with her normal morning routine and have time to do what she needed to do before boarding the flight. Henri can hold it a long time if she wants to! When we are traveling, she usually goes a full day without pooping before she figures out that we aren’t going home and she might as well go (I think she much prefers to go poop at home; she never goes when we are out on a walk or away from home for the day).

It would be much worse for her to be hungry than to have to hold it. 27 hours without food would be torture for her. Henri’s head would be on my leg with those sad brown eyes looking at me for the entire plane trip! With the more convenient relief areas inside security I think that it should work out fine for you.

Dianne

Raylene can hold it a long time, too, as I've learned on a couple of the cruises when she encountered the unfamiliar box with weird filler and no enticing smells.

Meanwhile the trainers say they withhold food and water the morning of the flight, even for a long day. However, my thinking is that the dogs are younger and the trainers apply an abundance of caution.

I'll chat with my vet, but I'm planning on feeding her at her usual 6 a.m. for the 11 a.m. flight day.

I would stick with your routine. It sounds like you have plenty of time before the flight. But I would restrict the water a few hours before the flight. We flew on a 6 hour flight with Orson 3 years ago and he was fine. We are doing it again next week. Some ice chips during the flight is a good idea too. She will be fine.

Thanks so much, DKD, this is helpful. So far, three people who've taken long trips with Labs all say the same thing, so I'm getting ever more comfortable with handling it the way you do.

The Jag-meister is one relaxed pooch. Is Partner Training fun? I've always thought it would be enjoyable to learn in a group of other dog partners.

Dogs for the Deaf does it one-on-one for a week in your home with the trainer. Exhausting week! A lot of the dog's job is alerting to sounds that are specific to your house and they also teach you how to introduce different sounds later.

So I'm kind of the Lone Ranger, which is why this forum is fun for me.