Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

On April 29th Horton Jeffrey was 7 years old. His personality has changed so much since he came home with me in December, 2011. He's more calm, he's more interested in "me" and, although he's still a BIG character, he's a better responder and listener. He's still a "trickster" and loves to play "keep-away" from me, he's definitely doing his pranks just less and less.

I find myself staring at him, as his chin becomes more gray and I run my hand over his face and realize it's not as full and meaty as it used to be. Horty is aging. Why does it happen so quickly in dogs, seriously, why so quickly?

Brenda was my training ground.....she taught me so much about love and devotion to a dog and gave it right back so easily. I'm a much better person for having known her!

Having a thoughtful moment of how lucky I am to have a CCI dog in my life!

Thanks for listening!

Brenda was my training ground.....she taught me so much about love and devotion to a dog and gave it right back so easily. I'm a much better person for having known her!

Thanks for listening!

You and me both Roz!

Dianne

You and me both Roz!

Dianne

Dianne, I'm so busy getting Horton's "stuff" ready for our 19 day cruise. Can you imagine.....19 days onboard a ship with a Service Dog. And, most of the places that were visiting are not "Walmart friendly" so, I need to have everything in order....all his food, medicines, toys, grooming supplies, etc. His visit to the Vet will consist of his Rabies and DHLPP vaccines and, as long as I'm there I will stock up on Heartguard and Nexguard. He will need a dose while were onboard.

There's so much talk and warnings about traveling to foreign ports with the Zika Virus and mosquito issues, I want to make sure that Horton's protected.

Dianne, I'm so busy getting Horton's "stuff" ready for our 19 day cruise. Can you imagine.....19 days onboard a ship with a Service Dog. And, most of the places that were visiting are not "Walmart friendly" so, I need to have everything in order....all his food, medicines, toys, grooming supplies, etc. His visit to the Vet will consist of his Rabies and DHLPP vaccines and, as long as I'm there I will stock up on Heartguard and Nexguard. He will need a dose while were onboard.

There's so much talk and warnings about traveling to foreign ports with the Zika Virus and mosquito issues, I want to make sure that Horton's protected.

I'm right with you - preparing for our 17 day Panama cruise. I am so glad that we are leaving from San Francisco so that I don't have to schlep Henri's food on the airplane. She has had all her shots and I have all her meds. I have her Vet appointment set and an appointment on the following day with the USDA. Now I just have to get myself ready!

Dianne

I'm right with you - preparing for our 17 day Panama cruise. I am so glad that we are leaving from San Francisco so that I don't have to schlep Henri's food on the airplane. She has had all her shots and I have all her meds. I have her Vet appointment set and an appointment on the following day with the USDA. Now I just have to get myself ready!

Dianne

I wish we were on the same cruise. One day. When do you leave, and what cruise line?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I am sorry if this has already been asked and answered, I am curious how you handle if you want to go to the pool by yourself while on a cruise with your SD. I am not even sure that I will be able to get to that point but my husband and I have been on cruises before I got my SD trained and he often feels like I need to have him at all times. (Agoraphobia on my part). I am so new to this new life with a service dog. And I know there is a lot that I need to know to stay prepared.

I am sorry if this has already been asked and answered, I am curious how you handle if you want to go to the pool by yourself while on a cruise with your SD. I am not even sure that I will be able to get to that point but my husband and I have been on cruises before I got my SD trained and he often feels like I need to have him at all times. (Agoraphobia on my part). I am so new to this new life with a service dog. And I know there is a lot that I need to know to stay prepared.

The decking around the pool, when out in the direct sun, can get burning hot. I keep my dog tied to a table or chair, in the shade, and limit my pool time. It's easy to do. Just make sure that you're aware of the pool decking and your dogs paws.

Our dogs are trained to stay in a down/stay when we command it. But, to stay out in a very warm climate or subjecting your dog to too much stimulation from passers by is not a good idea.

You'll get a good sense of where/when and how long to stay out by the pool.

Early morning can be best because waiting until the ground is boiling hot to walk on can be devastating to a dogs paws.

Thank you. I have been concerned about this aspect because I am a water baby. I will have to make sure we schedule some pool time when it is not the heat of the day.

Also, something to consider: My first dog Brenda absolutely LOVED water. If I took her to the beach or near a swimming pool she would forever waft her nose in the air to capture all the scents and she would slowly inch her way closer and closer until she could get her paws wet.

When I first took her to Malibu Beach she swam so far out into the Pacific that a lifeguard had to go in and bring her back. She was a true water dog! It really scared me to death.

She could swim forever in a pool and onboard a cruse ship I had to keep her a far distance from the pool or she would forever nudge at me to let her in, let her in!!!

Now, Horton could care less about the water. He'll sniff at the air but then get distracted by whatever else is going on!!!!

You know your dog and you'll know just how much restraint it will take to keep him/her safely out of it!!!! :p

I wish we were on the same cruise. One day. When do you leave, and what cruise line?

Henri would be beside herself if she could have a friend on the cruise!

We are on Celebrity - leaving October 7th from San Francisco to Ft Lauderdale. We also have Alaska May 2017 and Hawaii to Vancouver April 2018 on the schedule. I need to figure out how to fix my signature to list my cruises.

Dianne

Henri would be beside herself if she could have a friend on the cruise!

We are on Celebrity - leaving October 7th from San Francisco to Ft Lauderdale. We also have Alaska May 2017 and Hawaii to Vancouver April 2018 on the schedule. I need to figure out how to fix my signature to list my cruises.

Dianne

Dianne, you see my schedule. We're doing the exact same cruises, just at different times, in reverse and different cruise lines.

I picked the cruises leaving out of L.A. So all I have to do with my big boy and by myself is drive to the pier, drop my bags, park my car and walk across the street to the ship.

There's no doubt that life was easier when I had Morey to travel with but I can't let that stop me from living. So I plan the cruises and invite the friends and family to join me, if they can. If they can't, it's me and Horty alone.

You pay for two anyway so you might as well have someone along who you like to cruise with. You're NEVER really alone when you're cruising, that's why it's my vacation of choice!

You're less than a month away and I just made final payment on my 19 day Panama cruise in November. I know you're very busy with the planning, etc.

Let us know all that you're doing for Henri and such a lengthy cruise. Are you going to pack individual baggies of food or are you going to bring just one bag? Since Horton gets Salmon Oil, Glucosamine/Chondroitin with his meals it's just easier for me do the meals in individual bags instead of bringing all the different containers of food and supplements. I also have to bring his chewies and rice cakes.......Oy!!!! This doesn't even include his emergency ear meds, brush, tooth brush & paste and don't forget, his toys!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

On April 29th Horton Jeffrey was 7 years old. His personality has changed so much since he came home with me in December, 2011. He's more calm, he's more interested in "me" and, although he's still a BIG character, he's a better responder and listener. He's still a "trickster" and loves to play "keep-away" from me, he's definitely doing his pranks just less and less.

I find myself staring at him, as his chin becomes more gray and I run my hand over his face and realize it's not as full and meaty as it used to be. Horty is aging. Why does it happen so quickly in dogs, seriously, why so quickly?

Thanks for listening!

Wexler just turned 9 last month. He is totally gray everywhere. I hate this part of a dogs life. This week we will do another urine test to see how his kidney disease is progressing and next week an appt for his eye cancer. Ughhhhhh. It's very stressful.

We have had a summer from hell. From Johns diabetes to my broken thumb to my now bacterial infection of some sort. The heat and humidity this summer has been unbearable! But fall is coming and I'll be happy. My favorite time of the year.

Good part, we've paid off our cruise and the kids cruise, flights and all the other stuff that goes with it. Can't wait til January!!

Wexler just turned 9 last month. He is totally gray everywhere. I hate this part of a dogs life. This week we will do another urine test to see how his kidney disease is progressing and next week an appt for his eye cancer. Ughhhhhh. It's very stressful.

We have had a summer from hell. From Johns diabetes to my broken thumb to my now bacterial infection of some sort. The heat and humidity this summer has been unbearable! But fall is coming and I'll be happy. My favorite time of the year.

Good part, we've paid off our cruise and the kids cruise, flights and all the other stuff that goes with it. Can't wait til January!!

Cindy, first, I hope that Wexy maintains his strong self through all of his medical issues. It's so hard to watch them go through any bad stuff.

Please take care of you. I hope none of your issues last too much longer and that John's diabetes gets under control.

We've had nothing but heat waves and fires out here in Southern Cal. We're all praying for winter to come [it seems we NEVER have much of a fall season, so I'll skip it and go straight to winter!]

Congratulations on paying off the cruise and all that it takes to go on one. It's so wonderful to have a cruise to brighten up our worst day!!!

I send BIG HORTON KISSES to Wexler and his continuing long life!

Cindy, first, I hope that Wexy maintains his strong self through all of his medical issues. It's so hard to watch them go through any bad stuff.

Please take care of you. I hope none of your issues last too much longer and that John's diabetes gets under control.

We've had nothing but heat waves and fires out here in Southern Cal. We're all praying for winter to come [it seems we NEVER have much of a fall season, so I'll skip it and go straight to winter!]

Congratulations on paying off the cruise and all that it takes to go on one. It's so wonderful to have a cruise to brighten up our worst day!!!

I send BIG HORTON KISSES to Wexler and his continuing long life!

Hello. Okay, I said hello - now what? :)

Edited by Cuizer2

Hello. Okay, I said hello - now what? :)

You are too cute! Wasn't it you who said that the moderator's would pull the thread if it got over 5000 and turn it into a numbers game, by numbering the threads? This one has survived for many years and that's because the folks on here are so genuine and wonderful.

Send us a picture of your dog........I hear he/she is pretty cute too!

Thanks for coming over.......FYI" this lovely person is from another thread that I was reading. I dared them to come over to us......and, here they are!

You are too cute! Wasn't it you who said that the moderator's would pull the thread if it got over 5000 and turn it into a numbers game, by numbering the threads? This one has survived for many years and that's because the folks on here are so genuine and wonderful.

Send us a picture of your dog........I hear he/she is pretty cute too!

Thanks for coming over.......FYI" this lovely person is from another thread that I was reading. I dared them to come over to us......and, here they are!

The reason given for creating a part II, III, IV, V ... for threads over 5,000 posts is that the long threads are slowing Cruise Critic down. So once one of the moderators catch on, don't be surprised to see a part II thread.

Here is a picture of my dog ...

treeline.jpg

The reason given for creating a part II, III, IV, V ... for threads over 5,000 posts is that the long threads are slowing Cruise Critic down. So once one of the moderators catch on, don't be surprised to see a part II thread.

treeline.jpg

Okay! I get the point. This picture is so funny!!!!!! :p

We're adopting you as our "forever" friend!

treeline.jpg

Love the pic!!

Let us know all that you're doing for Henri and such a lengthy cruise. Are you going to pack individual baggies of food or are you going to bring just one bag? Since Horton gets Salmon Oil, Glucosamine/Chondroitin with his meals it's just easier for me do the meals in individual bags instead of bringing all the different containers of food and supplements. I also have to bring his chewies and rice cakes.......Oy!!!! This doesn't even include his emergency ear meds, brush, tooth brush & paste and don't forget, his toys!!!!

I am planning on bringing just one bag of food - I have one of those roll up dog food bags from REI. For a shorter cruise, I would definitely make separate meals, but 32 baggies of food would be a lot! Henri will have her own suitcase with her toys, brushes, dental chews, etc. I feel like I am packing for a toddler again!

Dianne

Good thing that you have the cruise to look forward to - sounds like you really need it! I hope Wexler's vet appointment goes okay. We are having a reasonable summer here in Northern California - not that many 100 degree days in a row and no humidity of course.

Dianne

I am planning on bringing just one bag of food - I have one of those roll up dog food bags from REI. For a shorter cruise, I would definitely make separate meals, but 32 baggies of food would be a lot! Henri will have her own suitcase with her toys, brushes, dental chews, etc. I feel like I am packing for a toddler again!

Dianne

Dianne, you've become a very savvy traveler. I bought a 21" rolling suitcase just for Horton's stuff! I'm going to make individual bags just because it'll be cleaner than bringing his salmon oil and chewable vitamins separate. I'm going to roll-up some artificial turf and bring a bed [Horton's not a good floor sleeper], he likes a bed and for 19 days, that's a long time to expect him to create new habits.

I'm bringing a "granny-cart" to carry all his stuff onboard.....the worst part is putting it all out on the conveyor belt and then packing it up in the cart again, while we go through TSA. Depending on how I'm feeling, I may leave the grass and bed behind, when I leave. Although, I'm going to need them again next December on my 15 day to Hawaii, we'll see!