Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Just starting week 2 without Scooter while he is away at training. We get him back Saturday for more training at home with me. The trainer has been in contact via text and said he is doing well and picking up fast.

Reading about the hotel interaction made me want to share the experience I had the other night on the phone. Was making a reservation for November at the Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center in Independence, MO. They are a dog friendly facility, and state their policies on their Web site. I let the reservation agent know we would be traveling with a SD In-Training. She said there would be no charge and they would put me on the ground floor near an exit so it would be easy to take him to the relief area.

It turns out that their corporate policy is dog friendly anyway! I've been staying at Hilton properties, but I may just have to start looking for that small chain where they exist!

Hi,

I have enjoyed reading through this thread. I will be taking my first cruise with my Diabetic Alert Dog (DAD) next month. Jake has been on a couple of smaller vessels on a dolphin watch but not overnight. We have been practising with a potty box but he does not like mulch, prefers the grass. I have learned a lot reading this thread and feel we are fairly prepared. We have been on many long road trips, so we are use to packing all his needed supplies. Thanks for all the post!

Cindy, welcome and a big welcome to "Jake!"

What breed of dog is Jake?

There is "mulch" and then there's "mulch!" What I mean is there are different textures of mulch out there. If the mulch has sharp edges or is difficult to step on, of course our dogs are going to balk at it. The best mulch is "cypress mulch", I buy it at lowe's and it comes in a large, compressed bag.

I spread the mulch in the box and put my artificial turf [i buy the large piece at Kahootz Pet Store, it lasts for years], I place it on top of the mulch and Horton loves it. The grass is easy to step on and doesn't allow for mulch to be tracked all over the place. I change out the mulch about once a week.

I pick up the artificial turf [daily] and expose the mulch and the back side of the grass [after I spray both with clorox spray], every morning, before I leave for work. I let the sun do it's job on drying out both the grass and the mulch. When we get home from work, I cover the mulch with the grass for overnight and repeat every day!

For the potty box in the underground garage, at work; I have "Doggy in The City", a company that comes and delivers real grass sod, every two weeks. It is placed in a 5x5 box and Horton loves it. This service costs me $80.00 per month. Once I retire I'll transfer this to use at home.

Horton only uses potty box's in his home and work life. Unless we're traveling, this is very normal for him. I trained him and Brenda to use the potty box and he doesn't even think twice when we're cruising.

If I'm driving to the dock and parking my own car, I bring a rolled-up piece of artificial turf to guarantee Horton's comfort zone with whatever the ship uses as filler. This is not as easy to do if you're flying to the pier.

On our last cruise, onboard the Pacific Princess, the mulch was more like tree bark; it was in large bulky, clumps, had sharp edges and was very difficult for Horton to walk on. I had to stomp on the stuff to break it up and asked for a large broom so that I could spread it out more evenly........it hurt for me to step on it, with my shoes on....I can't imagine what it felt like on Horton's paws. The ships don't always use their best judgement, which is why I bring the artificial turf to lay on top of what they call "filler!" It just makes for a more pleasant experience for Horton and for me......with no angry feelings towards the maintenance crew!

Sounds like your used to traveling with Jake, cruising just has a few more complications than road trips. Once you get both of you settled it's so much fun.

Be ready for your fellow passengers to love on Jake.......give yourself lots of time and do explain what Jake does and how important it is for him NOT to be distracted from doing his job! Have fun!!!!

And, ask all the questions you want and come back and tell us all about your first experience with cruising with Jake! You're going to love it!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Just starting week 2 without Scooter while he is away at training. We get him back Saturday for more training at home with me. The trainer has been in contact via text and said he is doing well and picking up fast.

Reading about the hotel interaction made me want to share the experience I had the other night on the phone. Was making a reservation for November at the Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center in Independence, MO. They are a dog friendly facility, and state their policies on their Web site. I let the reservation agent know we would be traveling with a SD In-Training. She said there would be no charge and they would put me on the ground floor near an exit so it would be easy to take him to the relief area.

It turns out that their corporate policy is dog friendly anyway! I've been staying at Hilton properties, but I may just have to start looking for that small chain where they exist!

Usually there is a cover charge for the pet(s) or some sort of a deposit. Service Dogs do NOT need to pay a cover charge or a deposit, ever!

You said, "I have a SD In-Training." If this were NOT a dog friendly hotel they would NOT have to allow your dog-in-training, since dogs-in-training do NOT have the same rights that fully-trained SD's have. Unless, there has been a special arrangement made between the SD training org. and the folks with their pups in training. You might see a whole slew of them onboard a cruise ship. They've made special arrangements with the cruise line and pups and their trainers will be allowed onboard under special circumstances. They may have to keep the pups confined to certain areas of the ship, etc.

Remember, you NEVER have to "warn" or otherwise let the hotel know that you're bringing your SD. I let the airlines know because usually I'm requesting bulk-head seating for mine and my dogs comfort!

We actually did the whale watch in Juneau with Dolphin Jet Boat Tours. (1-800-719-3422) We met them right in town in front of the Mt. Roberts tram. They had a vehicle with a wheelchair lift for us. They took us to the dock where one of the guys wheeled my daughter down the ramp to the boat. I wheeled her right on to the boat. When we stopped to watch for whales, we were able to wheel he out onto the back of the boat so she could see everything. The trip was amazing. When we got back to the dock, the same driver was there to pick us up. She gave us the option of being dropped off in town or back at the ship. We flew Air Canada. They were fantastic. When I called to book our flight, we were given the bulkhead seats for both flights. We flew a 787 both ways. I'm 6'-1" and I could stretch my legs out. We had room in front of us for 2 dogs. Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks so much - that sounds like you had an awesome trip.

Dianne

Chill bumps and tears! Happy tears. Small, small world, isn't it? No wonder all our furkids are the bestest, they are all related with excellent blood lines. Hugs and kisses to all.

It is a small world - amazing to know that before I got Henri I knew people who had dogs related to her. You are right about the excellent bloodline.

Dianne

We're related! How neat is that! Let's hope for a family reunion one day......Although, Brenda is not with us anymore it's always fun to see other dogs who are related and find the similarities in them!

She lived a long, healthy and wonderful life I hope that Henri gets the same good genes!!!!

I hope so too! You have mentioned that Henri looks like Brenda so now we know why!

Dianne

Hi,

I have enjoyed reading through this thread. I will be taking my first cruise with my Diabetic Alert Dog (DAD) next month. Jake has been on a couple of smaller vessels on a dolphin watch but not overnight. We have been practising with a potty box but he does not like mulch, prefers the grass. I have learned a lot reading this thread and feel we are fairly prepared. We have been on many long road trips, so we are use to packing all his needed supplies. Thanks for all the post!

Welcome to you and Jake. Although I have also done a fair amount of traveling with my Service Dog Henri, I am taking my first cruise with her in October. I am lucky that she will go on any surface. Have you tried giving him lots of praise and rewarding him for using the mulch?

I was at a CCI event yesterday, where our local DAD organization gave a talk and demonstration. Those dogs are amazing!

Dianne

Edited by DUTRAVEL

Usually there is a cover charge for the pet(s) or some sort of a deposit. Service Dogs do NOT need to pay a cover charge or a deposit, ever!

You said, "I have a SD In-Training." If this were NOT a dog friendly hotel they would NOT have to allow your dog-in-training, since dogs-in-training do NOT have the same rights that fully-trained SD's have.

Remember, you NEVER have to "warn" or otherwise let the hotel know that you're bringing your SD. I let the airlines know because usually I'm requesting bulk-head seating for mine and my dogs comfort!

Don't burst my bubble please, Ms. Roz. It is a bad enough two weeks. I was simply excited to find a place so accommodating. I know Scooter won't have full rights until he and I pass the access test sometime next year. And I know the rights are mine, that I get to bring him along once his training is complete. The lady on the phone was just so nice I wanted to cry after a rough day, particularly since he is still going to be in training. I was prepared to pay and they said I didn't have to and I was excited. Compared to all the stories from people who get told their fully trained SDS are not welcome, to be told my pup in training was welcome was a relief.

Don't burst my bubble please, Ms. Roz. It is a bad enough two weeks. I was simply excited to find a place so accommodating. I know Scooter won't have full rights until he and I pass the access test sometime next year. And I know the rights are mine, that I get to bring him along once his training is complete. The lady on the phone was just so nice I wanted to cry after a rough day, particularly since he is still going to be in training. I was prepared to pay and they said I didn't have to and I was excited. Compared to all the stories from people who get told their fully trained SDS are not welcome, to be told my pup in training was welcome was a relief.

Barb, I'm so sorry if I sounded punitive in any way. No bursting bubbles from me. :) ♥

You felt good about your experience and I'm very glad for you and please accept my apologies for ever making you feel bad in any way [That Mommy in me always butts-in, sometimes too much]!!!!!

You and Scooter are on the right path and don't stop thinking positively about that path.

We get enough negativity from the outside world, we certainly don't need it from each other.........Keep going forward!!!!!! ;)

Barb, I'm so sorry if I sounded punitive in any way. No bursting bubbles from me. :) ♥

You felt good about your experience and I'm very glad for you and please accept my apologies for ever making you feel bad in any way [That Mommy in me always butts-in, sometimes too much]!!!!!

You and Scooter are on the right path and don't stop thinking positively about that path.

We get enough negativity from the outside world, we certainly don't need it from each other.........Keep going forward!!!!!! ;)

Hugs, Mama Roz. It is a rough week, and I may be a little overly sensitive on top of it.

Hugs, Mama Roz. It is a rough week, and I may be a little overly sensitive on top of it.

Well deserved hug right back at you.

If you would have seen me during Team Training with both my dogs you wouldn't have recognized me. If you sneezed; I cried, if you coughed; I cried....I think CCI ran out of Kleenex for me.

I totally understand and empathize with you ♥

Ha ha - you guys crack me up!

Welcome Cindy! Lots of great info here.

Wow, related dogs! They'll want a big family reunion soon, just you see. And on a cruise of course!

Love the photo of Orsen and daughter on the Disney Wonder! Jagger should be on there in February.

Also LOVE the Alaska photos. I had to switch my cruise but I'll get to Alaska some day! :) Gorgeous, gorgeous photos!

Holly