Alcohol Question NOT About RCI's Policy

I haven't traveled much since the carry-on requirements changed last year, so not to ask a stupid question, but how do you get duty-free liquids home now? Are they sealed somehow that is acceptable to the TSA? If so, that seems like a pretty weird loophole. Or do you have to pack it in a checked bag?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Faye

You have to check your duty free alcohol now. We didn't buy any because we didn't want to go over the weight restrictions of our airline. Recently, there was a thread discussing this that someone actually puts the box through as luggage and it works great for them. We are going to try that next time.

If you are sailing from San Juan, you can buy in the duty free stores, they put a "seal" on it, and you can carry on board. Other places, you must check or pack in your checked luggage--neither of which I really like.......

Do you really save enough money to justify lugging that heavy box of liquor around? Even when you were allowed to carry it on the plane, I felt so sorry for those folks--hauling their carry-on bag and a case of "cheap booze"--they looked stooped and worn out! I've just never seen where the savings are really worth the effort!

Do you really save enough money to justify lugging that heavy box of liquor around? Even when you were allowed to carry it on the plane, I felt so sorry for those folks--hauling their carry-on bag and a case of "cheap booze"--they looked stooped and worn out! I've just never seen where the savings are really worth the effort!

I've done it a few times, and never felt like it was any huge burden. Plus, I would usually pick out local rums or liqueurs that you can't normally find in your average liquor store back home.

Ditto to what Alcheme said - I only ever buy things that you can't get in the States. For instance, the Gordon's gin for sale in the caribbean is the same stuff distilled in the UK, but not what is made in the US. There are also some rums and local liquors that are only available in the locales where they are produced.

Plus, last year, we did not finish all of the wine that we purchased with our pre-paid wine package. So, since I had paid a pretty good mark up on-board, I didn't really want to leave it behind. :D

Isn't alcohol flammable? If so, isn't this against regulations when flying?? Just curious!

Actually, I think there is a regulation against high-proof alcohols. Someone may know the exact rule.

I am amazed that pople are still buying alcohol and trying to get it home with all the restrictions today. Unless you are buying a French $100 brandy for $50 then I would forget all the hassles of duty free booze. Why not buy a nice necklace for your wife or a watch for your husband and wear it on the cruise.Ken

I am amazed that pople are still buying alcohol and trying to get it home with all the restrictions today. Unless you are buying a French $100 brandy for $50 then I would forget all the hassles of duty free booze. Why not buy a nice necklace for your wife or a watch for your husband and wear it on the cruise.Ken

Well, for someone like me, who is driving to the port, there's really no extra hassle. Buying jewelry, on the other hand, is usually a hassle to haggle for a decent price (or not and generally get ripped off). At least with the liquor, you generally know for sure what you're getting and whether or not it's a good price. That may be true for somthing like watches, too, if you know what you want and have done your homework on what the going prices are. The jewelry shops often prey upon people who don't know what things really should cost and believe they're getting a good price, because of all the hype about low prices and "duty free."

When I traveled home from Cancun in May if you purchased alcohol at the airport they would have it for you at the gate- HOWEVER when we made our connecting flight we were told that you had to check it with your luggage after going through customs! You could not carry it on!

Sounds like too much of a hassle to me! and I am almost always over the weight limit with my luggage- I don't need anything extra adding to it ;)

The savings are WELL worth the time and effort to bring back duty free. We get stuff in St Thomas and other islands for close to 1/2 what we pay for it here in the states. We buy enough each year that we never have to go to the liquor store here. We just wait until the next cruise and stock up again. I just pack it tight and neat in my checked luggage and send it on home. Only once did I have something break and it was in a cooler so it did not leak unto anything else. Usually, we don't have any problems at all getting it home in one piece.

The savings are WELL worth the time and effort to bring back duty free. We get stuff in St Thomas and other islands for close to 1/2 what we pay for it here in the states. We buy enough each year that we never have to go to the liquor store here. We just wait until the next cruise and stock up again. I just pack it tight and neat in my checked luggage and send it on home. Only once did I have something break and it was in a cooler so it did not leak unto anything else. Usually, we don't have any problems at all getting it home in one piece.

Is there a limit on the number of bottles you can bring back through customs? We're driving to the port, so transporting them home is not a problem. Thanks

Is there a limit on the number of bottles you can bring back through customs? We're driving to the port, so transporting them home is not a problem. Thanks

There's not really a limit on how many you can bring back, but the duty-free limit is just one liter pp in general (certain ports may allow more). If you exceed the duty free limit, you pay 10% duty on the other bottles, which is still generally well below what you would pay in the states. If you are thinking of bringing back large quantities, though (enough that they suspect you are bringing it back for resale), you may face hassle with customs.

All the people in our group who bought rum in Jamaica had it confiscated in Miami -- not allowed to carry it on the plane. We were traveling back from the "non-tourist" area (southeast) of Jamaica on a medical trip in March. They could have checked it but, our bags were already gone!

Yes.......as a general rule you save quite a bit. Sometimes as much as 30 to 50% depending on where you live.

We just returned and bought liquor in St. Thomas. They packed in a box that was suitable for checking as luggage. They packed it up, sealed it, and delivered it to the ship for us. We checked it as luggage at the airport and had no problem with it - all arrived at home, safe & sound. We also bought a few bottles earlier in the trip - we brought bubble wrap and packing tape with us. Wrapped it all up, put it in large ziplock bags and put it in our luggage - not a problem at all!

Plus, it's not just about cheap booze. There are some things that you can only get near the production source, and that's what we bring home.

Plus, DH is a jeweler and I have yet to find any jewelry in the Caribbean that I cannot get at home, usually for less. And if it turns out that the seller lied to me, I have greater opporunity for recourse. ;)

Archived