NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Hi all, I have 4 $500.00 Cert! Balance on cruise is $1800.00 what happens

to the $200.00 over pmt??? Do I get OBC??

Cruise total was $2300. I paid $500 down..

No OBC. You pretty much lose the $200. Why not use it to pay for NCL trip insurance...

No, you do not lose it. They will credit your account by the $2000 which will credit your credit card by $200. The $500 you already paid is part of your cruise price of which you can use your certificates. We have done it in the past and these are not extenuating circumstances. This is the norm.

so you use the money in advance to have the credit applied. Or buy a romance package with the robes for over $200, check the deals out. So go visit NCL.com & see what to buy now so your charge is there to apply the credit to or around final payment time.

Edited by AFT_LOVER

If I have 300 points on the current NCL point system how will they credit that? By $100?

I hope I understand what you're asking, but in your case of 300 points, you'd get 3 $100 upgrade certificates. 200 more points and you'd get a $500 cruise certificate.

I just paid for all but $700 for my NCL cruise in May 2009 and they refunded the fuel charges. Only 75 more points to go. I am going to miss this card so much and all the alternatives seem to have the same lousy rewards. Will check into the Hilton card but the cruise is my main vacation each year. Oh Well!!

so you use the money in advance to have the credit applied. Or buy a romance package with the robes for over $200, check the deals out. So go visit NCL.com & see what to buy now so your charge is there to apply the credit to or around final payment time.

Ok let me make sure I understand. After I pay my $2000. with my Cert I will have

$200 credit so I can call and pre order something and they will take

from my $200. credit???

No, you do not lose it. They will credit your account by the $2000 which will credit your credit card by $200. The $500 you already paid is part of your cruise price of which you can use your certificates. We have done it in the past and these are not extenuating circumstances. This is the norm.

Sorry, I totally disagree with this being the norm!

My last NCL Gem trip was $3200. I paid a $750 deposit, leaving a $2450 final balance. I paid with $2500 in compass rewards. NCL refused to credit my credit card with the $50 difference. No OBC. No nothing. They were adamant about not using compass points to "retro pay" a portion of the deposit.

(Actually the trip cost was even lower - I added trip insurance to bring the cost up to $3200. Otherwise, I would have lost even more...)

So if you experience otherwise, good for you. But, do not expect it...

Edited by crooooze

Here's a complicated issue (I think)

OK...so I have a March, Star cruise booked and fully paid for because I had very little balance after using compass rewards points, so we just paid in full early.

IF they were to refund the fuel surcharges...would they give me it in OBC because I am already fully paid?

My balance at final payment was much less than the fuel surcharge. I already know that NCL does not and will not refund to your credit card any money that was not paid by credit card (my cruise was mostly paid in compass rewards).

The reason I say this is because the price of my cruise dropped drastically a while back...My TA called NCL to adjust my payment (It was well before the penalty period). NCL would ONLY refund to my credit card a portion of the difference. They would not refund me any money that came in the form of a compass reward, so basically all I was refunded was about $150 even though the price of my cruise had gone down about $500.

I was not complaining...believe me. Between the compass rewards and purchasing my deposit on my last NCL cruise, I paid virtuallly nothing for this cruise...and if I don't get the fuel surcharge back that's ok too

BUT...it would be nice to have it on the form of OBC to offset the bar bill ;)

So...this ties in with croooze's comments. DO NOT expect NCL to use any of your Compass Rewards towards your deposit.

I'll let you know how they handle the C Rewards/fuel supplement......

Edited by halos

Everyone please contact NCL for you answer before you waste your $500 voucher on an upgrade or just stuff. Sometime the people on these boards aren't exactly accurate and get kind of confused :confused:.

Keep calling NCL accounting until you get a person who truly understands that your cruise cost $2300 total and you are sending in $2000 to cover the balance plus some that you already paid. Good luck.

Magnolia and smeyer: Please jump in at this point regarding some incorrect information some people (no names mentioned) often give on this board.

If I have 300 points on the current NCL point system how will they credit that? By $100?

I had the same thing. I am working on getting up to make $500 by 12/31 that's what I would suggest to do if possible.

Pay friends and family stuff on the card if they are paying cash, pay for the cruise you might have booked, put a deposit on a future cruise, I might do this one too haven't yet, I have my food bill paid for months ahead with gift cert. Now I plan to buy myself GC to my nail salon and my hair dresser to cover Jan and Feb appointments. I got GC where I buy my ink for the printer.

I'm not going to lose $200 and that's what will actually happen if you don't make it to $500.

I know this isn't possible for everyone, I'm taking money from my savings to pre pay stuff I will have to pay anyway in Jan, and Feb. I got all my grandkids bithday presents doen that come in Jan, Feb and March plus my brothers and Mothers in Feb.

Hope you work it out. I have a ways to go but I'm getting there. I even got $100 in GC to DSW and I got $20 free bonus for getting 2 $50 CG and we all know us women spend that much in shoes in no time at all. :eek: I should of got $200;)

Be creative. :D

I still have a ways to go but i WILL make it. I'm determined.:p

Just a question, how does your statement closing date factor into the 12/31 cut off date. If the closing date runs mid month to mid month and you are buying GC for stuff aren't you taking a chance they might miss the cut off date.

i just paid for all but $700 for my ncl cruise in may 2009 and they refunded the fuel charges. Only 75 more points to go. I am going to miss this card so much and all the alternatives seem to have the same lousy rewards. Will check into the hilton card but the cruise is my main vacation each year. Oh well!!

i'll miss the card too, does anybody have any ideas on whats a good card to replace my ncl card, i refuse to keep it if the change the terms,we were spoiled but they made money too. Thanks larry

Just a question, how does your statement closing date factor into the 12/31 cut off date. If the closing date runs mid month to mid month and you are buying GC for stuff aren't you taking a chance they might miss the cut off date.

NCL announced that points would be earned for purchases posted until 12/31/08

'm not going to lose $200 and that's what will actually happen if you don't make it to $500

So unless I get to $500 I loose them?

Sort of, as you will receice $100 upgrade vouchers which IMO and mosy others are useless.

I will be okay as my closing date is 12/20 and I check online everyday to make sure they post to BOA. I will only need a few more points after making my $250 by the 20th.

I will make sure I go over some just in case I get some refund back that I didn't count on, like the fuel surcharges. Better safe then losing $500.:D

Everyone please contact NCL for you answer before you waste your $500 voucher on an upgrade or just stuff. Sometime the people on these boards aren't exactly accurate and get kind of confused :confused:.

Keep calling NCL accounting until you get a person who truly understands that your cruise cost $2300 total and you are sending in $2000 to cover the balance plus some that you already paid. Good luck.

Magnolia and smeyer: Please jump in at this point regarding some incorrect information some people (no names mentioned) often give on this board.

Maybe they are NOW sticking to the exact terms which read:

This Certificate may not be used retroactively or to pay the cost of cruise-related travel deposits.

We use AMEX to book & get the perks & fly with HH and their BOGO flights. To fly international with points that is AMEX & Virgin Atlantic to London. But to book a cruise & use both sets of points may be difficult. Since both want you to book through them to use points. To book each of us with one of them would not work.

AFt Lover - I know you have both HH Visa and HH MEX.

If you have both can you combine points from both cards

to get your rewards????

Thanks

the $200 credit that isn't used from the $2000 credit from the old credit card will post to the new one since the same account # is used to the new one.

Ok let me make sure I understand. After I pay my $2000. with my Cert I will have

$200 credit so I can call and pre order something and they will take

from my $200. credit???

Edited by AFT_LOVER

I just go my December statement from BofA and I have 1000 Compass rewards points for the year. Since I can't earn any more, can I request my certificates now or do I have to wait for the end of the program? I'm planning a April cruise, but may pull the trigger on a Feb cruise if the prices drop.

I just go my December statement from BofA and I have 1000 Compass rewards points for the year. Since I can't earn any more, can I request my certificates now or do I have to wait for the end of the program? I'm planning a April cruise, but may pull the trigger on a Feb cruise if the prices drop.

Yes, by all means call Bank of America now and ask for your two $500 certificates. They come fairly quickly and won't get mixed up in what I expect to be chaos once the program ends December 31st.

BobK/Orlando

Did you receive any more information about the IMPROVED program as BoA promised they would be sending out with December statements?