What is Upscale Casual dresscode??

I know it is a bit off topic, but dh and I are going to a restaurant tomorrow for our 17th anniversary and the dresscode is "upscale casual". What exactly is that? I am wearing a skirt and top (casual) with what I call fancy flipflops....they have jewels on them. Now what in the heck is dh gonna wear? He is a jeans type guy. Any ideas? Thanks!

I know it is a bit off topic, but dh and I are going to a restaurant tomorrow for our 17th anniversary and the dresscode is "upscale casual". What exactly is that? I am wearing a skirt and top (casual) with what I call fancy flipflops....they have jewels on them. Now what in the heck is dh gonna wear? He is a jeans type guy. Any ideas? Thanks!

Nice black dress pants and a nice golf type Polo Shirt and dress shoes.

Oh wait, youre in Dear Park Tx, Jeans are probably appropiate there too.

Fred

Why not call the restaurant and ask....???????

Just a thought......

Thats what I was thinking or just check their webisite.

By the way, I just saw your Deer Park Tx video, very nice town. Looks like a very peaceful place.

Fred

I noticed you've been a member for a while, your responses might be answered better on this section of this board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=7&f=182

Guys are easy, men's Polo slacks, khaki at this time of year are a good choice. For a shirt any Polo button down will do, a pair of loafers or boat shoes to finish it off.

Now what type of skirt & casual top are you wearing ? The flip flops with jewels, might be a little casual for this setting . You can get very nice sandals that are leather that might look a little more upscale.

What Deer Park video? I have never seen one. The restaurant is The Melting Pot, a fondu style place and when I called they told me upscale casual. Their web site just shows guys in button down shirts but you cant see what pants they are wearing. I have some nicer shoes for me.

In Houston, people wear jeans and other casual clothes to even the nicest places. ( I wouldnt) Some of the upscale ones require jacket and tie but this place is in a shopping strip so I really dont think jeans would be too bad for dh.

Another really old, really tired, "Jeans in the dinNing room" joke. Not funny.

Not a joke? Post it on the land restaurants BB, not here.

Dan

The party invitation said that attire would be "Upscale Casual." I stared at the words with mounting alarm. Where I come from there is no category called "Upscale Casual." No one I know personally had ever used the phrase or, for all I knew, attended such a party. The dress code seemed perilously close to an oxymoron.

from

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A17842-2000Mar6&notFound=true

Ceiba's dress code is upscale casual. We welcome well-dressed guests as well as those that are casually dressed. Cut-off jeans, halter tops, tank tops, baseball caps, t-shirts and flip-flops are not acceptable.

from

http://www.ceibarestaurant.com/about.html

Another really old, really tired, "Jeans in the dinNing room" joke. Not funny.

Not a joke? Post it on the land restaurants BB, not here.

Dan

No, it is not a joke and your mean spirit is rearing it's ugly head!!:mad:

I did not think to post it on the fashion & beauty board but next time I will because hopefully you wont be on there!

Derf:

Thanks for the info. I thought it sounded like on oxymoran too! I assumed it meant no shorts, tanks, etc but just wasnt sure if jeans were ok.:)

Fancy flipflops?????

Dan

Flip flops with rhinestones, jewels, sequins, etc. on them. Some are flat like the cheap rubber ones, others have heels to them. Not really upscale but in small town Texas you can get by with it.:)

What Deer Park video? I have never seen one. The restaurant is The Melting Pot, a fondu style place and when I called they told me upscale casual. Their web site just shows guys in button down shirts but you cant see what pants they are wearing. I have some nicer shoes for me.

In Houston, people wear jeans and other casual clothes to even the nicest places. ( I wouldnt) Some of the upscale ones require jacket and tie but this place is in a shopping strip so I really dont think jeans would be too bad for dh.

Hey now, we Houston people dress up too. But again when people wear jeans....it's not like they have holes in them and look trashy.

A friend of mine just had a small birthday dinner at the Melting Pot last week and one of my friends wore a nice blue jean skirt and a grey top that could have been worn with slacks and she looked nice

Hey now, we Houston people dress up too. But again when people wear jeans....it's not like they have holes in them and look trashy.

A friend of mine just had a small birthday dinner at the Melting Pot last week and one of my friends wore a nice blue jean skirt and a grey top that could have been worn with slacks and she looked nice

I agree, we can be fancy too! I love to dress up so I was really asking for the dh because he hates to dress up. Did you like The Melting Pot? I have never been but it seems neat. Did you notice what the guys were wearing? Thanks!

OMG Melting Pot is THE best....but I never really felt it was necessary to be "dressed up" My boyfriend and I went for my birthday last month and we both wore jeans plus he a polo and I an A&F top...but it's definitely a "domething different" type of dining experience :) and good food- although if I went more than a couple times a year, it would get boring...

I agree, we can be fancy too! I love to dress up so I was really asking for the dh because he hates to dress up. Did you like The Melting Pot? I have never been but it seems neat. Did you notice what the guys were wearing? Thanks!

Guys were wearing basic polo shirts....they always look nice you you can never go wrong and like khaki pants...one of my friends wore jeans and a nice polo shirt and he look really nice:)

No, it is not a joke and your mean spirit is rearing it's ugly head!!:mad:

I did not think to post it on the fashion & beauty board but next time I will because hopefully you wont be on there!

Derf:

Thanks for the info. I thought it sounded like on oxymoran too! I assumed it meant no shorts, tanks, etc but just wasnt sure if jeans were ok.:)

Unfortunately, this is why the fashion board gets a nasty reputation, because of mean replies like you received :( , then those threads get moved here :rolleyes: The majority of people who regularly post here are quite nice and everyone is very welcome to ask any cruise related clothing question they may have.

Upscale casual is rather confusing. To me, I would read it that the host doesn't want people showing up in sloppy clothes. Unfortunately, some people misread "casual" as "come as you are", or "wear any old thing".

Let us know after your event, just how people were (typically) dressed!

I wouldn't consider the Melting Pot any dressier than just plain casual. I have only been there once and didn't like it at all. If it's still as it was, a very participatory experience, then you should be pretty good in casual clothes. Your DH will feel out of place in a jacket and tie!

I lived through one fondue craze in the 70s and had no patience for this new incarnation. Just wait until crepe-making comes back into fashion...

Have fun! Happy anniversary.

--Judy

Hi, we have the Melting Pot here too:) I love fondue:D

and I agree it is casual.....but living here in FL everything is casual;) :eek:

I went out to Bonefish with a friend last night and both of us were

in shorts and tops.....we had been out all day sightseeing

in St Augustine and by the time we got back to town it was after 7.

Didn't come back home to change and then go back out.....

Lots of folks were in shorts........and I am guessing our Melting Pot

would have seen the same attire.

Oh HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to the OP:)

Unfortunately, this is why the fashion board gets a nasty reputation, because of mean replies like you received :( , then those threads get moved here :rolleyes: The majority of people who regularly post here are quite nice and everyone is very welcome to ask any cruise related clothing question they may have.

Upscale casual is rather confusing. To me, I would read it that the host doesn't want people showing up in sloppy clothes. Unfortunately, some people misread "casual" as "come as you are", or "wear any old thing".

Let us know after your event, just how people were (typically) dressed!

There was nothing mean about my reply. The OP's question had absolutely nothing to to with cruising. It was about a land restaurant called the Melting Pot. A nanograin of logic would have told the OP to CALL THE RESTAURANT. Or Google for an answer from some attire based BB, or again the restaurant in question. Instead she comes on a cruise BB and asks a question that has been asked thousands of times before for trolling and/or slim humor. If I was mean, then it must be OK with you when people start exchanging sewing tips, or how to install gutters, or using a dado blade. So what if they have nothing to do with cruising, the person that asked has a cousin that once knew the relative of a friend who heard about somebody that thought about taking a cruise someday, so its OK to ask on this BB. Bullpucky! It was a inane question asked on the wrong board.

Mean, mean

Dan

I think we play the jeans and Texas card a little too often.

Chinos and a nice polo shirt work. Although calling the restaurant is always the best idea, I can understand you posting where you would get an opinion.

In reality, Deer Park is a part of Houston right along the Houston Ship Channel and has enough petrochemicals to blow up half the planet.

The famous San Jaciento Battle Ground is part of it or adjacent to it.

I live in Houston & have been to the Melting Pot. I think your dh will be fine in jeans but if it were me, I would try to persuade my dh to wear khakis. It is nice to go out looking a little better than your normal "let's grab a bite to eat" look - especially for your anniversary.

Dan40 - Ok, I am breaking a cardinal rule of my moms and one I attempt to live by. Rule: If you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all. Here goes my breaking it.....While I can understand that the OP question does not pertain to a cruise, I think your attitude is less than civil and your comments snide. If you object to a non-cruise question being posted, simply do not answer it, do not read it, do not continue to read it. Personally, I too have been interested in what others deemed "upscale casual."

I live in Houston & have been to the Melting Pot. I think your dh will be fine in jeans but if it were me, I would try to persuade my dh to wear khakis. It is nice to go out looking a little better than your normal "let's grab a bite to eat" look - especially for your anniversary.

Dan40 - Ok, I am breaking a cardinal rule of my moms and one I attempt to live by. Rule: If you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all. Here goes my breaking it.....While I can understand that the OP question does not pertain to a cruise, I think your attitude is less than civil and your comments snide. If you object to a non-cruise question being posted, simply do not answer it, do not read it, do not continue to read it. Personally, I too have been interested in what others deemed "upscale casual."

The OP's question was posted on the Carnival BB, then moved by the moderators to here. It has nothing to do with cruising and even less to do with Carnival since Carnival has no "upscale casual" dress code. Even if some cruiseline does have an upscale casual dress code, it would be their own dress code. And could be vastly different than the Melting Pot's dress code. Someone asking about cruise dress codes and/or a particular lines dress code is perfectly OK. That's what a cruise BB is for. For me, or anyone to ask what the dress code is at Micky D's, or Outback, or the Four Seasons on this BB is wrong. The loosest possible connection to cruising is OK, but this question started out with "off topic" which is a baloney way of saying, "I don't care about your rules, just answer my question!" NO! This is a cruise board, you and the OP want land restaurant info? Go to their websites or their boards.

The meany of all meanies

Dan

Archived