Barcelona Hotels - May 10, 2008

We are sailing on the Summit on May 11 and currently looking at hotels in Barcelona, preferably not far from gothic quarter. Seems they are all rather expensive that weekend for two adults, one teenager, rates reduce dramatically at other times. Is that a holiday weekend or such for Barcelona. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Did you try the Continental Palacete? It's a short walk from the Gothic section but in a quiet location and has a 24 buffet that works well with teens :) We've stayed there twice and liked it a lot. Don't know your price point or what you're looking for so it's hard to make recommendations. The Hotel Colon is near the Catedral and, thus, near the Gothic quarter but more pricey. The Continental (sister hotel of the Palacete) is on Las Ramblas near the Gothic Quarter and a little less expensive (ask for a rear room to avoid noise from Las Ramblas. Good luck.

Also...check on the Europe Forum...lots of recommendations there.

The Spanish Grand prix is from Barcelona on 11 May 2008. Hotels therefore will be at a premium. Get booked now or you may have difficulty getting a decent hotel. Try www.hotelscomaprison.com

That may be why I have been having so much trouble finding hotels with ANY availability on May 14,15 & 16 before our May 17 NCL cruise and what I have found is in the $300/night range. We may have to book the Holiday Inn Express, which is 15min. outside the city but has availability for about $125/night.

Here's a link to a thread on the Europe Board that has quite a number of suggestions: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=553935

We stayed at the Continental Palacete - good location, reasonable prices - and they have a 24 hour snack buffet which was a nice bonus.

http://www.hotelcontinental.com/home_palacete.htm

Here's a link to reviews on tripadvisor which I find helpful when hotel searching: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d274118-Reviews-Hotel_Continental_Palacete-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Good luck with your trip plans! :)

I think you're having difficulties and a bit more expense because of the three in the room. In Europe this is harder to find and when you do, it's more. Try http://www2.hotelcompany.com/hotels/spain/barcelona/apsis-atrium-palace.html?label=g We stayed here with our teen and it was a really lovely room for the three of us! Wood floors, marble bathroom, extra modern sink area in the bedroom, razors, toothbrushes, super amenities, great air conditioning, etc. Reasonable price back in 2004.

We stayed in the Atrium Aspsis Palace. $206 for three of us. It is tough to get in with 3 - we had the same problem. This was about the cheapest I found. It was okay - clean but beds were very hard. It did the trick after 10 hours of flights!

We Had A Wonderful Stay Here...ac Diplomatic..modern Hotel, Close To Main Blvd., Very Accommodating As They Let Us Into Our Room At 8:30am In The Morning After Arriving From A Cruise. I Definitely Would Stay There Again. Price Then (1.5 Years Ago) Was $168 Per Night Through Expedia. Good Luck!

I stayed here last year:

http://www.hotelregenciacolon.com

This property is in the heart of the Gothic Quarter, and has decent rooms with a great location. TripAdvisor.com reviews are good, and others on these boards have spoken of it as well. Their site shows a rate of 200 euros for the night of May 10, 2008 (enter it as "10-5-2008").

Nice place for tapas around the corner, too, at Taberna del Bisbe.

We have stayed at the HCC Montblanc, which is just a few blocks north of the Barri Gothic on Via Laietana. If you get the right travel agent, you should be able to get a good price. I think we paid just a little over 100 Euros a night back in late Sept, 2004, and that included breakfast every day. Early May is still a little "off season," so you should be able to get a good price, too. Good Luck!

Here's the hotel's website: http://www.hcchotels.com/eng/montblanc.html#

RCQ

The reason you will not find a bargin for that weekend has already been mentioned it is the Formula one Grand Prix weekend in Barcelona!!! In fact I would hurry up and find a hotel quickly since that is probably the bussiest weekend of the year in Barcelona. I would avoid the cruiseline offer to bbok hotels since they lost ALL their options last year and pax found themselves outside Barcelona.

I think we're on your cruise! We've been struggling with the same thing - reasonable accommodations for 2 adults and 2 kids under 12 is almost impossible to find. I've also been told by a number of hotels is that they are not releasing their rooms for May 2008 yet and to check back in another month or two. This is consistent with what my travel agent has found as well.

I've been told by others that we need to book a 3 night minimum stay due the Grand Prix...and many either don't accept kids at all or have a maximum of 2 to a room which gets expensive very quickly!

FWIW, we contacted Continental Palacete last week via email and were told they had rooms. When we booked online later that day, they said no rooms were available. When I followed up in email again (forwarding the mail they sent me with rooms & rates), they confirmed that they had no rooms...maybe you'll have better luck!

Sorry I can't be of more help...

Someone mentioned earlier that they might book at a Holiday Inn Express outside of Barcelona. FYI, the public transportation system is excellent and taxis are easy to come by. So, if you are planning several days in Barcelona prior to embarking, while less convenient, it wouldn't be too bad to book outside of the city. Just check with the hotel re: how close they are to bus and subway stops. Good luck.

Like SkySweet, we stayed at the Hilton Diagonal last August and were very pleased. It is a little outside the Ramblas area but is conveniently on the subway/bus routes. Very easy to get wherever you want to go. Taxis are plentiful and reasonable. You will love Barcelona! We spent two nights and could have stayed longer.

Thanks so much for your updates, yes, we must book soon as the hotels are getting booked and prices are high. We are currently looking at the Gallery Hotel and/or Hotel de Condes. Awaiting to hear from our TA re those two. Tried several others but were booked - it's our teenage daughter that's making it hard - not easy being the third one in. She is so looking forward to the cruise and missing out on school - she won't mind the close quarters, it will only prepare her for the cruise cabin.

Thanks again!

Going to Barcelona? BOOK in advance!! We went to Barcelona in May this year and didn't realise it was the w/end of the Grand Prix. It took us days to find a hotel for two nights - Hotel Soho, very nice and quite central, but more pricy than we would normally pay. We'll be back again in December before a cruise and I've already booked our hotel. Try one of these two:

http://www.hotelbanysorientals.com

http://www.hostalgoya.com

(BTW, 'hostal' in Barcelona means guest house and not youth hostel!)

We were in Barcelona two years ago during the week of the Grand Prix. I would like to suggest that you also consult the soccer/football schedule because our stay was marred by the all night victory celebration of Barcelona over Madrid.

You might try to find an apartment. There are many near the Gothic Quarter and La Rambla. Many have minimum nights but if you can find one that fits your needs you would certainly have more room for the three of you.

European hotels generally have smaller rooms than our American hotels.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hello all,

I'm also hunting for a hotel room this weekend. But by all accounts, I can't blame the lack of rooms on the Grand Prix. From what I see, the race is being held the last weekend of April. From what I found the Barcelona tourism search engines, leave a bit to be desired. They don't list any events for May '08. I could be wrong!!

Thank you to everyone who has made suggestions to good hotels.

Any must see sites in Barcelona? We will only have roughly 24hrs in town and would like any suggestions on what we should see.

Thanks

Rob

We have stayed at this hotel 3 times and we were very pleased. It is in a good location to Las Rambles = about 2 blocks and right by a hugh department store with a wine/liquor/grocery store in the basement. ATM i s one block.

Hotel Avenida Palace Eng

Is the Continental Palacete also at the same intersection as Hotel Avenida Palace?

Archived