I'm so excited! Travel size Lysol!!!!!

operafan

. . . do those handy little spray bottles smell fruity, like apples or meadow or some such cover up, or do they smell like the original Lysol? For the original ‘flavor’, smelling like a hospital disinfectant, we have to go to a hardware store. And it's available only as a liquid, unfortunately.

They're linen scent.

I looked for the 4 pack of Lysol spray at Sam's today and didn't find it. So, I'll just take Clorox wipes and hand disinfectant.

I'm not obsessive about it all, but I think the more careful we are the less likely we'll get sick.

I made DH make a special trip to Sam's but, alas, no 1 oz Lysol. Maybe they will get some in soon. But, with my luck, they will be in and sold out before I get back there.

Frankly, the only time I got sick was on an Alaska cruise on the Summit. It was shortly after eating lunch in the dining room....I believe I ordered some strange curry dish that was made with leftover whatever. It was probably my fault for even tasting it. I could not spray Lysol on that, could I? Now, I am much more careful about food that might have made a previous appearance somewhere else.:(

I looked today, too. Our Sam's didn't have it. I looked with the soap and other products and also in the bar soap section. Whereabouts in Sam's did you find it?

Barb

I looked for the 4 pack of Lysol spray at Sam's today and didn't find it. So, I'll just take Clorox wipes and hand disinfectant.

I'm not obsessive about it all, but I think the more careful we are the less likely we'll get sick.

Frankly, the only time I got sick was on an Alaska cruise on the Summit. It was shortly after eating lunch in the dining room....I believe I ordered some strange curry dish that was made with leftover whatever. It was probably my fault for even tasting it. I could not spray Lysol on that, could I? Now, I am much more careful about food that might have made a previous appearance somewhere else.:(

They always offer the curry dish with lamb the day after serving rack of lamb in the diningroom the night before. They will deny to the end that they ever recycle. Common sense tells us that it would be bad practice to just throw out leftover meat. Every good resturant in every city recycles. We do it at home and call it leftovers. I can't imagine why it would have made you sick though. It was simply re-created from the night before. Maybe the curry didn't agree with you.

I do have a question about using the paper towel to exit the restroom. Now that you've touched the nasty doorknob with the paper towel, what do you do with the towel?? I did it once and ended up carrying that thing around with me. :eek:

I looked today, too. Our Sam's didn't have it. I looked with the soap and other products and also in the bar soap section. Whereabouts in Sam's did you find it?

Barb

Barb, It was in the section by the cleaning products. Near the Swiffer refills I think. I happened upon them quite by accident.

Pattyj, I'm going to put one in each of our little 1 qt. baggies in carry-on and the other 2 I'll stow in 2 layers of leak proof baggies in the checked luggage. They're really small..........

I love this! After I lysol our room I take a ziploc baggie and put the remote control in it and close it up. My dh and kids think I am a genius, but I heard about this from someone else! We were just at a hotel last weekend and had to have the blanket changed , towels changed, and leftover clothes in the bathroom taken out - uck! I am getting the small containers ASAP. I dragged a half full can in my luggage and then left it at the hotel room for the next poor soul.

I do have a question about using the paper towel to exit the restroom. Now that you've touched the nasty doorknob with the paper towel, what do you do with the towel?? I did it once and ended up carrying that thing around with me. :eek:

Businesses that realize the value of using a paper towel to open the restroom door, will place a wastebasket within reach of the door (on the inside of the restroom). If it's not there - I look for the nearest garbage can after I've left.

Hi BT!!! :) More and more are offering waste baskets at the door...more often than not they go right on the floor, so good for you for being so considerate.

Lysol has been around for a long long time....before that there was a product called CN. And then there is of course, bleach.

I really doubt that the few of us who take some Lysol on a cruise are going to be the handful of excessive fanatics that provide the platform for the supergerms to explode and take over the universe because of a spritz here and there. I'm guessing we won't make it over the hurdle of germs that are on a ship, but you can be sure when I pick up my toothbrush and put it in my mouth, I'd prefer to know that there might not be someone else's questionable hygene swirling around the faucet I just touched before that thing goes in my mouth!

And no, I am not going to lick the walls on my way to dinner. :rolleyes:

We all touch things out in public, and then touch our mouths or our eyes. If a little spray or a wipe prevents e-coli or staph infections, then who am I hurting? It's just one more choice that each individual can make for themselves.

Mary

You could bring a few boxes of disposable gloves (they do not take much space) and wear them all day.

DON

I have another suggestion. You can buy disposable HEPA protection suits that the toxic waste cleanup people wear - you have certainly seen them on TV news shows. Couple that with a full face respirator and you will definitely be safe for the entire cruise.

DON

Thanks, I'll look again and look at a couple other Sam's around town.

Barb

Barb, It was in the section by the cleaning products. Near the Swiffer refills I think. I happened upon them quite by accident.

Pattyj, I'm going to put one in each of our little 1 qt. baggies in carry-on and the other 2 I'll stow in 2 layers of leak proof baggies in the checked luggage. They're really small..........

I have another suggestion. You can buy disposable HEPA protection suits that the toxic waste cleanup people wear - you have certainly seen them on TV news shows. Couple that with a full face respirator and you will definitely be safe for the entire cruise.

DON

There are simpler ways to take reasonable steps, that's what is being discussed here. :p

DON

Don, I thought of that but Chanel and Vuitton aren't coming out with theirs until 2009. I simply couldn't wear a lesser designer so until then I'll make due with the Lysol. (Christian Louboutin does make a smashing pair of booties though........)

There are simpler ways to take reasonable steps, that's what is being discussed here. :p

Like only touching the elevator button with your elbow. Come on!! That is not reasonable, that is excessive.

There are germs all over - you can't avoid them.

DON

Check out the product offered at the attached site if you are a true germophobe. Not sure if it could be attached to the toilet on a cruise ship but it might be worth a try.

http://www.footflush.com/

However, then you need to deal with germy feet which should not be a problem unless you or your significant other suck each other's toes.

DON

Like only touching the elevator button with your elbow. Come on!! That is not reasonable, that is excessive.

There are germs all over - you can't avoid them.

DON

I always use my knuckle....not excessive at all. Reasonable....how many have itchy corners of their eyes....some wash their hands after using the restroom, many do not. Matt Lauer here in NY found all kinds of horrific junk on handrails of escalators for example...not to mention taxi cabs....How many of us take planes and cabs to the ship??? :eek:

I too use my knuckle for pushing elevator buttons. And before I thoughtlessly put my index finger into the corner of my itchy eye without thinking about it being clean, my knuckle was the point of contact with the public and it's not the part of the body coming into contact with my eye.

I cover my mouth when I sneeze and I use my foot in restrooms where there are no automatic flushers. I'd have to be an idiot not to.

Don,

No flame intended but I read quite a few of your other posts on various threads and boards. Seems to me you spend the majority of your time being sarcastic. If this brings you pleasure, fine. Just don't don't expect any further response from me.

Finely Cruising and Lynda- How about we ignore "Mr Sarcasm" in the future.......Vicki

I despise touching bathroom doors when exiting the rest room. I also use a paper towel. The last cruise I was on, there was a trash barrel right next to the door. I was just in a rest and they had a thing that you wave your hand in fornt of and it opens the door. The new Costco near me has no door.

There's a reason why they are turning to these things.

There is an article in a large newspaper in The Netherlands today that parents who are costantly using products like Lysol are causing their own families and especially kids serious harm, because the kids' immune systems don't build up as they are supposed to do. While the parents think they are protecting their loved ones, they are actually increasing the chances of sickness (in the long run).

The article uses the US as an example to point out how tv commercials have been used to make people afraid for of perfectly normal every day things, like doors, elevator buttons, etc. thus creating a feeling that they absolutely can't go without things like Lysol. I guess the topic of this thread proves that point.

Also, like using anti-biotics too frequent/often will in the end result in virusses that are resistant to anti-biotics, over doing it on the Lysol will eventually create super germs also.

Archived