Broadway Play For Aug. 30????

05mak05

We're sailing on the RCI Explorer of the Seas on 8/31 for Canada-New England and want to see a Broadway play on Thursday, August 30th. Our first choice, of course, is "Jersey Boy's" but tickets are impossible and also way out of our price range. We can go up to $150 pp. We've seen Hairspray. Other suggestions and reviews sure would be appreciated. I've also lost the link with suggestions to Chinatown restaurants, etc. (We've been out of town for a month and are way behind the curve on this trip.)

There is a pair for Jersey Boys for that night on eBay, at $249.99 as of this posting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330152891950

I don't know about buying tickets on ebay. . . But have you gone to Playbill.com, you can order discount tickets online. If you like musicals, The Drowsey Chaperone, is very enjoyable. Also Wicked is great, but that is another ticket that is difficult to get. Spamalot is very funny especially if you like Monty Python humor, and tickets seem to be available. How about Phantom? Everyone should see that one. Also, check out the thread, NY for the first timer, lots of good suggestions there.

http://broadwaybox.com/

http://www.theatermania.com/home/

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

The first two sites above offer discount discounts that you can order in advance. The last website is for the TKTS which offers up to half price discounts the day of the show but you have to wait on line. Jersey Boys will most likely not be available at any discounted rate but you might be able to get full price tickets. Drowsy Chaperone tickets are often offered at the TKTS booth. I recently saw "The Color Purple" and absolutely loved it.

http://menupages.com/restaurants.asp?neighborhoodid=24

The above link is menupages Chinatown listings. You can read reader reviews and see menus of restaurants.

I hope these links help.

I would second the suggestion of visiting the TKTS booth in Times Square and get two-fers for a show. Usually some pretty good shows. They sell "day-of" tickets only. The booth in the South Street Seaport sells matinee tickets the day before. (This doesn't apply to you going on a Thursday, but it's good info to know). Don't let the long line discourage you. It moves quickly.

I've gone to see some terrific shows at half price, just don't get your heart set on any particular show.

Of course these are all good suggestions... the only reason why I mentioned eBay is because that specific show was their first choice. I have both bought and sold tickets on eBay, there isn't a problem as long as you read the fine print and make sure the seller has a positive feedback rating (I stick to 99 percent or better with a high feedback number, 100 percent if they have a lower feedback total) and if they have any negatives I read them to see why the buyer gave them a negative. As long as you are careful, it should be fine. I find it's better to buy from the people who bought tickets and now legitimately can't go and are trying to make their money back, rather than the "ticket brokers" you find there that may have some shady transactions.

If you are flexible with the shows you want to see, the other suggestions are all great.

There are other shows that are good too- I can personally recommend Wicked, Curtains, Xanadu (it was hilarious), Legally Blonde, Hairspray .

If you are dead set on Jersey Boys, sometimes you can get tickets at the box office on the day of the performance.

There are other shows that are good too- I can personally recommend Wicked, Curtains, Xanadu (it was hilarious), Legally Blonde, Hairspray .

If you are dead set on Jersey Boys, sometimes you can get tickets at the box office on the day of the performance.

You really thought Xanadu was hilarious? Interesting, I haven't heard anything else about it and just wasn't expecting a good review.

Mjkunckle, if you really are dead set on Jersey Boys, I am pretty sure you can get tickets through Broadway Box but they will be more than $150 per ticket for decent seats. If you are open to other shows then visits TKTS, they really do have tickets to good shows to offer. JerseyJK is right, the line moves fast.

You really thought Xanadu was hilarious? Interesting, I haven't heard anything else about it and just wasn't expecting a good review.

I heard good things about Xanadu also. No one was more surprised than I. DW is going to the latest production of Grease in a couple weeks. I've heard pretty good reviews from friends and co-workers on that as well.

you can get good seats discounted for xanadau.. try the broadway box.com....curtains also is discounted... color purples was great... and so was spamalot.... you may be able to get discounts for those also..and if you've never seen lion king and have kids with you.. aslso mary poppins is great....

here's another tdf location.... one window no lines. remember cash only.

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

South Street Seaport

At the corner of Front and John Streets, near the rear of the Resnick/ Prudential Building at 199 Water Street.

Hours:

For evening performances: Monday - Saturday: 11am - 6pm

Sundays: 11am - 4pm

Opening Sundays beginning April 15

Tickets are sold on Sunday for evening performances only.

Saturday operating hours are 11am to 6pm and tickets are sold for Saturday evening and Sunday matinee performances.

Friday operating hours are 11am to 6pm and tickets are sold for Friday evening and Saturday matinee performances.

I got Beauty tickets last year & Donny Osmond was Gaston. Front Row for $55. (???) Wonderful!!!!

Believe me, I went expecting to hate it cause I hated the movie, but the show is a take off on the movie and was funny right from the beginning. I totally did not expect it.

It did get good reviews, too.

We have always had good success with getting half price tickets the day of the show at the ticket booth in Times Square. Bring cash to purchase the tickets. There are so many great shows to see. Just read the review on the web and in the end pick something that you think you will enjoy.

Keith

Believe me, I went expecting to hate it cause I hated the movie, but the show is a take off on the movie and was funny right from the beginning. I totally did not expect it.

It did get good reviews, too.

I think I have to go see Xanadu now. I guess it's like Footloose and The Wedding Singer. I found those two shows on Broadway absolutely hysterical.

I think I have to go see Xanadu now. I guess it's like Footloose and The Wedding Singer. I found those two shows on Broadway absolutely hysterical.

It's actually better than both of those. Have you seen Curtains, Legally Blonde, The Drowsy Chaperone or Spamalot? All of those were very funny too.

If you can't get tickets at the Times Square site, then try the box office at least an hour before the show. Tickets do get turned in. In fact, I turned in one of our tickets to Jersey Boys. The woman who got it also got 2 others that night for her 2 daughters. They didn't have seats together but they were old enough to sit alone. Our seats were in the second to the last row - but the theater is smaller and the seats were fine! Great show and fabulous music!!! By the way - if you haven't seen Mama Mia you should absolutely see that. You can easily get discount tickets to that if it's still playing. I'll try to find the link to the site and post later.

The site I often use is http://www.telecharge.com. I just checked and there are no "specials" for Mama Mia...but there are a large variety of seats available for the 8 PM Aug. 30th show, ranging in price from $57.50 to $126. If you can swing it, I'd recommend a mezzinine seat in the first few rows. It's been on Broadway for quite a while, but if you haven't seen it and enjoy the music of ABBA, it will be perfect! With that many seats available now, perhaps they will have them at half price in Times Square!! Good luck!!! Enjoy!

It's actually better than both of those. Have you seen Curtains, Legally Blonde, The Drowsy Chaperone or Spamalot? All of those were very funny too.

I haven't seen Curtains, Legally Blonde or Spamalot. I have tickets for Drowsy Chaperone. Have you seen Spring Awakening? It won a bunch of Tony's so that one will be next on my list along with Xanadu. I remember when the most expensive ticket was $75. That wasn't even that long ago. What happened? :confused:

I remember when the most expensive ticket was $75. That wasn't even that long ago. What happened? :confused:

Inflation, plus massive increases in the cost of insurance, electricity, health insurance and pension contributions, construction of scenery and costumes, royalty payments to authors, directors, choreographers, producers, etc., plus maintenance of the theaters themselves, many of which are 80 to 100 years old. Spamalot, for example, which uses a hydraulic lift on stage, cost $12 million to open. I saw Harvey with James Stewart and Helen Hayes in 1970 and my orchestra seat cost $7. There are interesting articles at http://www.atpam.com/Features/WSJ_GreatGreenWay.htm and especially http://www.fwrv.com/news/article.cfm?id=100642 , which will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about how this stuff gets financed. Finally, here's the contract for the 1997 national tour of Tony & Tina's Wedding: http://contracts.onecle.com/pace-theatrical/broadway.jv.1997.08.27.shtml . If you go down to the production budget on page 11, you'll notice that the actors were not exactly raking in the money.

Rhefley228 - WOW. You are a bundle of information. I do know the costs of just about everything went up. I did think the actors got paid a decent salary (which they deserve). I have to assume and hope that broadway actors make a decent living. Someone has to be bringing in the big bucks or else the shows wouldn't go on.

I know I used to go to a show at least once a month when they were more affordable. Now I go about four times a year (if I'm lucky).

I dIid think the actors got paid a decent salary (which they deserve). I have to assume and hope that broadway actors make a decent living.

Here are the current minimums:

equity_logo_black_sm.jpgMinimum Salaries - Production Agreement

(Broadway & National Tours)

Contract Duration: June 28, 2004 thru June 29, 2008

Rates Duration: June 25, 2007 - June 29, 2008

Musical

Actor: $1,509

SM: $2,480

ASM: $1,961

2nd ASM: $1,638

Play

Actor: $1,509

SM: $2,132

ASM: $1,742

INCREMENTS:

Playing a Chorus Part/Specialty

$20

U/S Chorus Part/Specialty

$15

U/S Principal Role

$33

Swing (full)

$70

Swing (partial, per number)

$15

Dance Captain

$300

Asst. Dance Captain

$150

Run-of-Play/Term

$150

Chorus 6 Month Rider

$60

Chorus 6 Month Extension

$30

Extraordinary Risk

$20

OVERTIME:

$41/hour

TRAVEL OVERTIME:

$34/hour

PER DIEM:

$116/day (Some cities, $122/day)

PENSION:

6%

401(K)

3%

HEALTH + SWC:

$193.00 (less $40 subsidy: rate paid $153)

LAST UPDATE:

06/26/07

These figures can be negotiated upwards by the actors' agents. Disney has a separate Production Contract with slightly lower minimums. This doesn't sound too bad, except comparatively few actors actually work 52 weeks a year, regularly, year after year. There are about 30 other different contracts covering Dinner Theatre, Stock, Regional Theatre, etc., with lower--often much lower--minimum salaries. Many of the contracts provide the potential for medical insurance, eligibility for which is figured under a somewhat arcane formula: "In order to qualify for plan eligibility, you must have at least 12 weeks of covered employment in the previous four quarters (12 months) to qualify for SIX (6) months of coverage. If you attain 20, or more weeks of covered employment in the previous four quarters (12 months), you will qualify for TWELVE (12) months of coverage. Participants are evaluated for health coverage eligibility four times per year." There is also a pension, for which it takes either 5 or 10 years of employment to qualify, depending on when you worked. It's a tough business. Take a look at these two websites for more information:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos093.htm and http://www.actorsequity.org/

Thanks for the broadwaybox.com suggestion! Tried to buy tickets at broadwayoffers.com, but the discount I was trying to get was only for American Express cards... found a different code for the same discount on broadwaybox.com, got Xanadu tickets for $85 instead of the regular $111!

Spamalot was hilarious... but I was lucky enough to see it in the beginning with David Hyde Pierce, Hank Azaria, and Tim Curry.

Archived