Strange ? For The Spice Island-are The Spices Good?

LindaMae

HELLO CRUISERS:cool:

I HAD SOMEONE POST ON MY SHOPPING IN GRENADA SAYING THAT THE SPICES WERE NOT GOOD.

I HAD PLANNED TO DO MY CHRISTMAS SHOPPING WITH FRESH SPICES FROM HERE.

THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE BEEN---DID YOU LIKE THE TASTE OF THE SPICES?:eek:

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP---AGAIN!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Skaction-Thank you so much for your post:)

I will be buying both the nutmeg and cinnamon for Christmas gifts! I do not like to cook, but feel lucky to have friends that do. After your post I feel so much better about making them as gifts. I was beginning to think :( no one would answer.

Happy Cruises wherever the water takes you!!:):)

LindaMae

The fresh bay leaves (from the laurel tree) are so much better than anything you can buy back at home. A small bay leaf has tremendous aroma and goes a long way to adding flavor to sauces. The saffron is really tumeric. Pure vanilla extract is another great buy.

Barry

Thanks Barry-I have so many friends that use bay leaves for many things---I know they will enjoy getting them fresh!!:) Is the pure vanilla as good as what you can buy in Mexico?:confused:

Thanks so much for your information!!

Linda

Linda:

The vanilla is similar to what you can buy in Mexico. We have purchased vanilla in Mexico and in the islands and haven't noticed a difference in quality. Cost in the islands may be a little higher at ~$12 for a large bottle. I remember buying a 1 litre bottle in Cabo for only $8.

Barry

Barry

Thanks for the reply. It will be another good thing for us to pick up as Christmas gifts. You were lucky to get it for that in Mexico. It seems there are many labels with many different costs. Just fun to have some of the things we can not get here. Can't wait to try the bay leaves in sauces!!

Linda

We also got some of the best dark chocolate I have ever had!
Oh I know that dark chocolate!

It's made by "The Grenada Chocolate Company"

somewhere at the far end of the island.

Comes one way only... in a dark turquoise artsy-kinda wrapper

a thin slab of the stuff about 4 ins. x 9 ins.

and has a marvellous molasses taste to it.

Good stuff!!

• 1 month later...
Did everyone buy the spices during a tour or are there stores near the ship?

There are many places near the cruise terminal to buy spices, it is only a two minute walk to the market where you can buy a variety of spices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought nutmeg (fresh that you have to grate yourself), cinnamon and vanilla last month when we were here. I used them all for the Thanksgiving Pumpkin pie this year. It was the best pie I've ever made, and my guest thought the same. The spices really did make the pie this year, so in my opinion, the spices are great.

So there is no problem bringing spices back to the US through customs?

Thanks for any reply .

Tim

No, no problem. Just remember that the vanilla has to go in your suitcase, so bring some wrap and plastic bags. I went on the Mandoo tour and it was a very nice tour. I bought small bags of mixed herbs for $1.00 - $2.00, that were great and cheap:D gifts. For the vanilla, I bought small spice botles .89 @.

Enjoy!

Annette

Hello Cruisers-

Just back from Grenada-Yes the spices are good. Lots of stores inside the cruise terminal---but go a little further into the mall. We got all kinds of different spices for $4.00 a bottle the size of a spice bottle at home. We also bought Nutmeg Syrup/Vanilla and forgot to go back for the chocolate. They really have lots of spices. I got curry and ginger....many others for you gourmets.

Enjoy your visit!!

Happy Holidays!!:)

The best (spice) bargain on the island is saffron.

With (Iranian) saffron prices being US$75-125 per once in the U.S., Grenada offers fresh, dry red saffron threads for US$15-25.

If you are a gourmet cook, stock up when you're there! :)

Archived