Water Shoes REALLY Needed?

Hi there,

We are going to be in Labadee this October and were wanting to know if we REALLY need water shoes there??

Thanks everyone for your help;)

Comet Cruiser

Gail

We never needed them. We just wore our flip flops, but we just stayed around the close beach, lunch and waverunner area so I don't know about further out.

We are going to be in Labadee this October and were wanting to know if we REALLY need water shoes there??

For Labadee, If you're just going to lie on the beach or wade in the water, I'd say no...but bring some sort of footwear...flip-flops, tennis shoes, sandals, etc. because you may be walking around the place a bit on hot dirt trails...

We're going on a cruise in Sept. and our first stop is Labadee. Top item in our to bring list is water shoes. We were there in May at Hideaway beach and couldn't walk in the water. Ooch!! Very rocky near shore.

I say yes to water shoes! We like to lounge around on Dragons breath beach and it is rough sand and if you go in the water it is very rocky. Crocs would work great for the beach too, not sure if they would stay on in the water though. If your going to any beaches on the other islands then you will probably want the water shoes too since you never know how the beaches are.

Bev

We just returned this past Sunday from the Mariner and we went to Hideaway Beach on Labadee and did not need the water socks even though we used them on our feet to get there. When we walked to Dragon's Breath Point it came in handy.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

We always pack our water shoes. They don't take up too much room. And the soles are non slip so good for slippery trails etc. And I just know that the one time we don't bring them will be when we really need.

Peace, Anna

YES!!!! I didn't wear any when we were in Labadee this past January and ended up getting peices of sea urchin in each of my feet. Trust me, that is NOT something you want to experience!

Same thing happened to me in the DR. Not only is it something you do not want to experience, you also do NOT want to have your husband pee on your foot to get the barb out (which you are more than willing to do at the time...so you can walk).

**where is the vomiting icon when we need one**

Take the shoes.

Same thing happened to me in the DR. Not only is it something you do not want to experience, you also do NOT want to have your husband pee on your foot to get the barb out (which you are more than willing to do at the time...so you can walk).

Take the shoes.

Did you have to draw an arrow on your foot so he could hit the target?:confused: ;)

Take the shoes.

Ewwww! Sorry to hear about...well, all of that! :eek:

I say yes to water shoes! We like to lounge around on Dragons breath beach and it is rough sand and if you go in the water it is very rocky. Crocs would work great for the beach too, not sure if they would stay on in the water though. If your going to any beaches on the other islands then you will probably want the water shoes too since you never know how the beaches are.

Bev

I definitely AGREE!!!!! That is the beach we went to in June and the beach was very rocky near the water!!! I didn't have water shoes (I don't particularly care for them) but I had gotten a pair for my DH!!! Well, it turned out that he was the lucky one.:D I will definitely get them for my next cruise even though I think they are ugly!

Big Big difference between beach shores and water shoes. Just on the beach at Labadee no any shoes are fine. In the water wear the water shoes to prevent walking so such thing as

Broken glass in the sand

Sea Urchin in the sand

Sting Ray barb although the shoe may not prevent just help if you walk on one

Broken sharp shells

Broken piece of Coral

Get the idea

Thank you familycruises and gnparend! You will help in my effort to convince my DH. We live in FL and go to the beach about once a year! Neither of us owns thongs (or beach sandals of any kind) and he about died when I brought up the idea of "water shoes" for our 11 day Carib. cruise!

Although, they make some that look like an actual tennie, and he has said he maaaaybe could consider them. I think that all I will need to do is relate your 2 posts and that will be that! ;)

Thanks!

I live in Florida too and never expected anything like that to happen to me. I was on a cruise and in Mexico. It was a very painful experience. It took 6 months to get all the splines out. It almost ruined our cruise. We all wear water shoes now.

We buy the boat/water shoes at Bass outdoor world. They are heavy duty and last much longer than the cheap ones you can get at walmart--not to mention they look like normal shoes.

Hi there,

Thanks everyone for your help;)

Comet Cruiser

Gail

Right now Sears is having a "take an extra 50 % off markdown price sale on the Lands End products so for about $10.00 you can get some comfy, sporty water sneakers. Is it worth the $10.00 ? YES!!!! better safe than sorry. I always wear mine to many different islands. Good investment for piece of mind :)

Also YES for the water shoes in Labadee! We just returned and I can't believe we forgot to take ours, and so blessed we did not step on a sea urchin. My DD said she saw many of them as she floated on her beach mat. She was shocked I didn't encounter one in my bare feet. Hideaway Beach was also quite rocky.

So yes... take them... you will need them. I wished I'd had them to use at Maho Beach in St. Maarten, too. My bad. :rolleyes:

We always have taken water shoes. We used them for beach days and climbing Dunns River falls. So glad we had them. We just buy the inexpensive ones ($10.00 or less) and toss them in the garbage at the end of our cruise....gotta make room for the SWAG in my suitcase!!

:) Yes I would highly recommend taking water shoes. We bought our first ones on a cruise ship in '91 for $20 each. When we got home found them for $5 at Walmart! I have replaced mine but my husband still has his original ones. I found mine on sale end of summer. Glad to know they have nicer ones available now.

Archived