Relocating after a cabin fire (the entire story)

moakie

I have never been compensated for missed ports.......and wouldnt expect it...

Yes we were!!! We got 2 hours of free Bloody Mary's or screwdrivers when we were stuck in the Mississippi for the Mardi Gras cruise and missed Progresso. lol. We were stuck for 11 hours due to fog.

Yes we were!!! We got 2 hours of free Bloody Mary's or screwdrivers when we were stuck in the Mississippi for the Mardi Gras cruise and missed Progresso. lol. We were stuck for 11 hours due to fog.

Thats right...........I forgot.........too many screwdrivers,perhaps???:p

I am not trying to start any trouble or stir any pots, BUT.............

Personally, I don't believe this for one minute.

So much of the debate on this thread has been great (and totally appropriate) sympathy for a horrible situation that I, for one, do not believe existed.

In all fairness to RCI, I'd hold all comments until we hear from them. If you don't believe this for a minute, try overnight!:eek:

I did a web search and there was a fire located in one of the Tenders, July 30th. I haven't figured out how to transfer from my favorites without it taking me to the page or I would send you the Link. It shows a photo.

July 30 Enchantment Fire, Cancun

You don't sent the link from your favorites list but from the actual web page.

When you are on the web page you want to link to, right click on web http address at the top beside the back and forward arrows, select (left click on) copy and when writing reply on these board or elsewhere, right click with curser on postion where you want link to go and left click on paste.

You also could left click on web address to highlight, press Ctrl + C keys to copy, left click on where you want link in message and press Ctrl + V to paste there.

If you look closely, the strobe light gizmo has an expiration date on it. I will assume they get changed as the date approaches.

On our cruise just last week, we were sitting in the cabin resting when the smoke detector went off. We opened the door and checked the halls. About ten minutes later the maintenance crew showed up and changed the unit. I kind of wondered why the fire crew didn't come first to check.

On the SS Norway, we went to muster when the boiler blew up. We were just docked in Miami so we got off in about 2 hours and our luggage was shipped two weeks later. No comments from the cruiseline or offers of compensation for standing at muster for two hours. Some people were taken to the hospital due to being overcome with fear and hyperventilating.

Once we missed going on the private island due to high seas. The Captain opened the bar for several hours as we sailed on to our next port.

From the pictures posted by CGBCruiser, it appears this particular fire began in the lifeboat and flamed upward towards the deck. Is the the same fire being discussed in this thread? :rolleyes: And it was last year?:confused:

I think this thread should be 'put out' (no pun intended).:D

A smokey smelling room? Long story short...on a very long transcontinental flight, during the night passenger was drinking heavily, passed out across the aisle, landed at my feet but not before sending a nice "gift" to pave the way.

DID NOT expect any compensation, only wanted to change seats so I didn't have to smell barf all night. Steward didn't want to inconvenience any of the other passengers who were sleeping across more than one seat by waking them up!!!

Give me a smoke smell any day over barf.:eek:

From the pictures posted by CGBCruiser, it appears this particular fire began in the lifeboat and flamed upward towards the deck. Is the the same fire being discussed in this thread? :rolleyes: And it was last year?:confused:

I think this thread should be 'put out' (no pun intended).:D

No, it is a different issue. Read the entire thread and look at my original post date. The issue I bought up was due to two passengers not being located until the following day. They were originally told there were no rooms available. Yet after spending the night in a stinking wet enviroment and complaint to the front desk, another room magically appeared available. Were they forgotten? who knows, they have yet to receive an explaination or any other information from RCCI. To further manage the outrage, I wanted to get a feel of what others thought of the ordeal. that was the intent of the original post. It was not to flame any one or RCCI, as I realize mistakes can happen. This was a real doozie of a mistake if as it turned out, there was a room available all along.

No, it is a different issue. Read the entire thread and look at my original post date. The issue I bought up was due to two passengers not being located until the following day. They were originally told there were no rooms available. Yet after spending the night in a stinking wet enviroment and complaint to the front desk, another room magically appeared available. Were they forgotten? who knows, they have yet to receive an explaination or any other information from RCCI. To further manage the outrage, I wanted to get a feel of what others thought of the ordeal. that was the intent of the original post. It was not to flame any one or RCCI, as I realize mistakes can happen. This was a real doozie of a mistake if as it turned out, there was a room available all along.

How do you know this mystery couple hasn't been compensated? I think that all the relocated couples deserve some kind of compensation but I don't think all the people on the ship do as another cruiser seems to be trying to do, though they haven't been back here.

BUT -- a 100% refund or a free cruise? It seems that Americans have highly inflated ideas of how much they have been damaged.

How about a 25% discount on a future cruise. That would be a great deal, IMHO. I would grab it in a minute, and send great thanks to the cruise line for their consideration!:D

Never mind, just leanred yo

• 1 month later...

OK, where to begin? At the end of August I submitted a post titled: "Recolating After a Cabin Fire" upon our return from the Enchantment to Belize. Some one with more BB savvy than I, can link the original post for those unfamiliar with the situation.

First and foremost THIS IS NOT A BASH AGAINST RCI. Someone I'm sure will make the accusation. It is more of a humorous read now that time has passed and we/I've been taken care of.

Secondly, I would like to own up to the fact that the mystery couple was us. I wanted to speak (write) as a third party in order to get some honest feed back from the good folks here at CC. I felt that if I revealed the couple was us, everyone would want details turning the post into a "Let's BASH RCI" post which was not my intention.

I was offered compensation, but I was confused as to the "fairness" at first. But the story does get better for us.

As far as the others from my previous post, ......you may not "believe it for a minute", but it really DID happen. As to some who said they "wouldn't put it past RCI to behave this way",....I think he's onto something.

OK lets get the story going. "BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO, fire call on deck 4" said the Captain. "Please be patient as we look into a fire alarm."

.............................to be continued

:cool:

..... "We have identified a small fire on board at Deck 4." (great, that's our deck!) "Please do not be alarmed, our fire crews are on the scene and we will update you shortly."

a few minutes later..... "The fire has been contained and is out so you may relax, Our fire crew informs us it was contained to one stateroom".(did he just say 4540 something?) "However we please ask that you remain calm and continue doing what you were. We will give further info as we get it.".......a few minutes later "We regret to inform you that passengers in rooms 4532 trough 4551 (hey we're in that group.O-poo!)will need to be reassigned due to smoke/water damage. Stand by for further info." After waitng nearly a half an hour and hearing no further word, we left the pool deck and proceeded to our stateroom only to be turned away at the hallway fire door. The carpeting through the elevator waiting area was peppered with black sotty footprints in and out the hall and they had an attendant making sure only the proper personel could enter. So..... off to customer service we went.

OK, where to begin? At the end of August I submitted a post titled: "Recolating After a Cabin Fire" upon our return from the Enchantment to Belize. Some one with more BB savvy than I, can link the original post for those unfamiliar with the situation.

It's very easy to find your posts. Just click on your own name and click on "show all posts by moakie". :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=624754

I think that s/he was starting to tell the whole story, but was called away, or delayed, in posting more.

:)

Well, I read quickly through the link provided by another poster. There was a fire, 12 people got reimbursed. Got all that. What else is there to say?

:confused:

I am kinda lost. I think I need a cruise. :D

Merion Mom has the correct answer. I lead a very busy life and I type slow to boot. To answer you question, I had a bad experience and sought advice here. What I found was a wonderful site full of good people; some who have great knowledge, some who whine and some who like to praise. In otherwords a good representation of real people just like you and me.

As I said I sought advice, I got it and the good people that gave it deserve to hear about the whole story as it happened. (it's long)

I only feel it is proper etiqiutte to respond to the board as I initially said I would hold all my comments until after hearing from RCI.

It ends good if you bear with me.:) no real heavy bashing will be involved!

Merion Mom has the correct answer. I lead a very busy life and I type slow to boot. To answer you question, I had a bad experience and sought advice here. What I found was a wonderful site full of good people; some who have great knowledge, some who whine and some who like to praise. In otherwords a good representation of real people just like you and me.

As I said I sought advice, I got it and the good people that gave it deserve to hear about the whole story as it happened. (it's long)

I only feel it is proper etiqiutte to respond to the board as I initially said I would hold all my comments until after hearing from RCI.

It ends good if you bear with me.:) no real heavy bashing will be involved!

Great. Just some bashing. Yeah, I am looking forward. :eek::rolleyes:

Yeah, me too. Sitting on the edge of my chair. Woohoo!

:cool:

If you thinks its so boring why do you keep posting here or are you just waiting to flame the OP?

To the OP I am genuinely interested in hearing your story.

Archived