Relocating after a cabin fire (the entire story)

moakie

By now, a few have heard of the 4th floor cabin fire on The Enchantment. There were allegedly twelve cabins than recieved compensation for this problem. Most probably got compensated because they were forced to move from their cabins. There was one couple who was forced to stay in their wet smoked odored cabin. They were told there were no more rooms available.:eek:

Here are two questions:

What would be fair compensation for the twelve?

What would be fair for being the couple "accidently" left behind to sleep in the smell and wetness of their cabin?

Haven't heard about it yet. Whose fault was the fire?? I am so glad no one was hurt. How scary. Boy that is a tough ?

If it was me in the wet soggy cabin I would probably want a reimbursement or a free cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

But seriously, I hope they all receive something.

While I'm interested to see what folks generally consider to be fair, I also want to know more details about this fire. Anybody have a news source that tells how it started, etc?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=620785

The next thing that happened was a bit scary. We had just gotten started, were still under the pilot's control, when Bravo Bravo Bravo (fire) was announced with the location being in a cabin on deck four (4550-something). We could smell acrid smoke from our balcony. The ship came to a stop and the captain announced there was a fire, crew was responding, and that he would keep us informed of the situation. About 30 minutes later, the captain announced that the fire was out and affected passengers could return to the area after it was cleaned up. The fire had started in a closet, and they suspected that it was electrical in nature. The cabin occupants were not there at the time. We did not see the crew response to the fire, but heard from those that did how professional and well the response was. When we left the ship, we had to go by that area - the smell of smoke was still evident and many crewmembers were working in that area. That evening, we ate in the dining room and turned in early.

I realize that RCI shouldnt give away the farm but staying in a wet and still smoke smelling room is extremely unhealthy. I have some serious allergies and wet and soon to be mildewed especially in the tropics and smoke depending on what burned are terrible on the lungs. If there were blankets, paneling and whatnot that burned some of those things are made out of some real harsh materials. I believe that RCI (they may have already) should advise (even though it ultimately their choice) the people who had to stay to seek medical attention after the cruise and really ask them what kind of compensation they should get. If the people are medically fine....great...the price of a phisical for two...big woop in RCI pocket. I think they should either get reimbursed 100% or a chance to go on another cruise to the same place or what not....again the price for two to cruise..big woop in RCI pocket.....It is just good sense to compensate Human Beings as opposed to watching the bottom line.

Yes, when I called RCCL about any compensation for any others on board (our first cruise, this scared the daylights out of us!) they said no, only the 12 affected cabins. And I asked about how it started, she read from the ships log that it was indeed started by the blinking light on the life vest in the closet. It was "faulty". Pretty scary!

I still remember the smell from a house fire many, many years ago. I am not usually one to complain about much of anything, but I think I would have asked the hotel director to bunk with the captain so I could have his/her room. Of course, that's probably some sort of security risk.

Yes, when I called RCCL about any compensation for any others on board (our first cruise, this scared the daylights out of us!) they said no, only the 12 affected cabins. And I asked about how it started, she read from the ships log that it was indeed started by the blinking light on the life vest in the closet. It was "faulty". Pretty scary!

Were you in one of the damaged cabins? I thought it was a very contained fire that didn't effect the whole ship?

Yep, staying in a smoky smelling cabin would be a bit unpleasant.

BUT -- a 100% refund or a free cruise? It seems that Americans have highly inflated ideas of how much they have been damaged.

The people in that cabin still ate, still used the ship's facilities, still had the entertainment ... in fact had all the benefits of the cruise to enjoy. So they had a bit of a smoky smell. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT compensation? Get real.

How about a 25% discount on a future cruise. That would be a great deal, IMHO. I would grab it in a minute, and send great thanks to the cruise line for their consideration!:D

I don't mean to dwell on this, but why would you need compensated. You weren't in one of the cabins affected right? So you think you deserve compensation because you were scared? :confused:

To the OP - Fair compensation to the 12, in my eyes would be another cruise. If the cabins were truly wet and smoky.

Yep, staying in a smoky smelling cabin would be a bit unpleasant.

BUT -- a 100% refund or a free cruise? It seems that Americans have highly inflated ideas of how much they have been damaged.

The people in that cabin still ate, still used the ship's facilities, still had the entertainment ... in fact had all the benefits of the cruise to enjoy. So they had a bit of a smoky smell. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT compensation? Get real.

How about a 25% discount on a future cruise. That would be a great deal, IMHO. I would grab it in a minute, and send great thanks to the cruise line for their consideration!:D

You have got to be kidding. That is most certainly not reasonable for that kind of situation. I would not be happy with that offer and would turn it down flat.

However, only the 12 persons/cabins directly involved should get compensation - 100% compensation.

Gotta wonder if all the anti smokers are disappointed it wasn't a discarded cigarette that was the culprit.;)

I was wondering when someone would be along with this thought. You may be right, earlier today this thread had 4 posts but around 430 views, a very high ratio of views to posts. Perhaps the non smokers were looking (hoping? :)) to see if careless smoking was the cause.

The subject of compensation entering into this thread should bring the ratio down to more normal levels :D.

For the OP I have no idea of what would be adequate compensation. At the very least I would think it would be more than MercedMike would be willing to accept. Just don't know how bad it was, water damage, smoke damage, damage to personal property (clothing, electronics etc.). I know for certain I wouldn't want to stay in a cabin that had water and smoke damage....not until it was restored to pre event condition.

I was wondering when someone would be along with this thought. You may be right, earlier today this thread had 4 posts but around 430 views, a very high ratio of views to posts. Perhaps the non smokers were looking (hoping? :)) to see if careless smoking was the cause.

The subject of compensation entering into this thread should bring the ratio down to more normal levels :D.

For the OP I have no idea of what would be adequate compensation. At the very least I would think it would be more than MercedMike would be willing to accept. Just don't know how bad it was, water damage, smoke damage, damage to personal property (clothing, electronics etc.). I know for certain I wouldn't want to stay in a cabin that had water and smoke damage....not until it was restored to pre event condition.

Pro rate the compensation according to how much time was spent on the ship prior to the fire.

Cruisers that were given new cabins and able to continue should get a bit less than those passengers that were totally inconvenienced.

Gotta wonder if all the anti smokers are disappointed it wasn't a discarded cigarette that was the culprit.;)

Smoke is smoke, so it still stinks in the cabin. 100% compensation for the couple that was force to stay.

Smoke is smoke, so it still stinks in the cabin. 100% compensation for the couple that was force to stay.

ITA. I still can't believe they agreed to stay in that room with that condition. It wasn't their fault and it surely dappened their cruise. Just glad nobody was hurt.

I don't mean to dwell on this, but why would you need compensated. You weren't in one of the cabins affected right? So you think you deserve compensation because you were scared? :confused:

To the OP - Fair compensation to the 12, in my eyes would be another cruise. If the cabins were truly wet and smoky.

You are so right, Cruisinmama06. I was wondering myself why that person would even ask such a question. Not involved in the situation and still wants to get something. Typical of the way a lot of people are these days, unfortunately -- always trying to see what they can get.

I think the ones who had to stay put in a wet and smoky cabin should get a free cruise, and the others who had to move should maybe be given something for their trouble, but certainly not a free cruise. If it were me and I was moved to a comparable cabin, I would neither request nor expect anything. I would just be happy nobody was hurt and enjoy the rest of my cruise. If they had to downgrade me in order to move me (say from a balcony to an OV or inside), I would want the difference in cost between the two cabins refunded.

I was on this cruise & heard the BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO. I remember the captain coming on over the PA & kept us all up to date. Thirty minutes after the fire started the Capt told us that the fire was put out in three minutes. Just that morning that had a fire drill. If memory serves me correctly the fire was on Thursday afternoon(Belize), we had already been on the cruise since Monday & we disembarked on Saturday morning. I cannot understand how one should be compensated for an entire cruise when we only had one & a half days left until we disembarked in FL. From my understanding the Guest relations did their best to try & find cabins on a cruise that was completely sold out. Yes I agree that some compensation should be granted on a pro-rated basis, & monies paid for any of the personal items that may have become damaged.

Depending on the Captain, passengers get compensated all the time for missed ports etc. Free drinks, cabin credit, discount on future cruises.

If anyone deserves compensation it's the couple left behind in a damp, smoke smelling cabin. It doesn't matter if it was twards the end of the cruise. We enter our cabin at least 5-7 times a day and to walk into that mess would surely affect my opinion of the entire cruise. Picture coming into that cabin at the end of the evening. "Get out there" would have a whole new meaning.

What has not been said yet is what happened in the 12 cabins.

Did the crew swoop in with hoses and soak everything? Cameras, formal wear, personal papers, clothing, etc.

If the folks in the affected cabins had their personal possessions damaged than 100% replacement cost for their stuff would be appropriate.

But beyond this, it was simply an inconvenience to be moved to another cabin.

They can make a lot of money selling their story somewhere.

If one couple had to remain in a soaked cabin that would surprise me. The crew would have vacuumed the water out of the carpets, replaced the bedding, drapes, and furniture, and cleaned up as best as they can. The only dampness remaining would have been the carpets. Even the drawers in the cabinets would have blown dry within a few hours with a large fan in the room.

The OP made it sound like the room was still flooded and water was dripping from the ceiling. I cannot accept this.

We may joke about the crew members sometimes, but they are all well trained professionals and they know what they are doing. :)

Archived