Hows the coffee? on Westerdam

darienill

How is HA's coffee? Better than that stuff on Princess?

Can't be any worse. Do they sell coffee cards?

HAL's coffee seemed about the same as Princess. No better...no worse.

And, yes, HAL does have coffee cards...and the Explorations Cafe with their lattes. espressos, etc., was wonderful! DH and I bought two of the coffee cards!

Grabbed our coffee there, and we were good to go! (owning a bed & breakfast inn, I'm somewhat choosy about my coffee!). :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

As an avid coffee drinker and one who might have a higher percentage of coffee than blood flowing through the veins, I would agree that the above remark is correct. The Explorations Cafe provided an adequate cup of coffee - it wasn't cheap stuff from some gas station, but it wasn't exactly from a Parisian Cafe...it got the job done!...besides, its easier waking up in paradise/on a cruise!

Douglas Ward of Berlitz Guide rates coffee of the big seven cruise lines. For what it's worth, here are his ratings:

Carnival: Regular coffee, weak and poor, 1 out of 10; espresso/cappuccino, 2

Celebrity: Regular, weak and poor, 2: espresso/cappuccino, 3

Costa: Regular decent and quite strong, 5; espresso/cappuccino among the best, 8 (I'd hope so on Italian ships)

HAL: Regular, half decent but weak, 3; espresso/cappuccino adequate, 6

NCL: Regular, weak and poor, 2; espresso/cappuccino, 4

Princess: Regular, weak and poor, 2; espresso/cappuccino, 3

RCI: Regular, weak and poor, 1; espresso/cappuccino, 4, but it comes in paper cups.

Above reinforces my admitted prejudice that you really can't get a good espresso or cappuccino outside of Italy. No idea why - maybe it's psychological!

I realize this is a little silly, but I have always taken my own coffee pot (4-cup) on my cruises, brewed myself Starbucks first thing in the morning....and loved having this luxury. I just can't wait for room service to come!

Since HAL doesen't allow irons on board, do you think they will allow my coffee pot?:confused:

On one of our cruises, at the Mariners' Reception the Captain remarked something to the effect that,

"For those who will ask, yes we actually do read your comment cards. We know from past experience that about a third of you will tell us the coffee in the Lido is too strong, a third will say it's too weak and a third will say nothing about the coffee, which we think means it's just fine the way it is."

I realize this is a little silly, but I have always taken my own coffee pot (4-cup) on my cruises, brewed myself Starbucks first thing in the morning....and loved having this luxury. I just can't wait for room service to come!

Since HAL doesen't allow irons on board, do you think they will allow my coffee pot?:confused:

I bring my water boiler and tea and make my own. There is ONE outlet in your room. Considering all the stuff that needs recharging (cameras, cellphones etc), I would weigh the value of the coffee pot compared to everything else for that outlet.

You can pack it away when finished making coffee.

We are just back two weeks ago from the Rotterdam, 15 nights around the Med.

We asked the server in the coffee cafe for two coffee cards. but he looked at us blank , could barely speak English [ Not usual elsewhere on the ship] and just keep smiling at our further requests for a card. Eventually a red coated steward informed us that Hal no longer did coffee cards, only drink and soda cards.

My husband did not find the coffee to bad to drink....but he was upset every night when it was served in a paper cup. :confused:

I do not know if the information about the coffee cards is correct ...I only know what we were told.

Ok, I'll the the odd one out here - I think HAL's coffee is MUCH better than the coffee on Princess. I'll admit it's been a few years since I've sailed Princess but watching them make coffee with the "glop" stuff instead of ground coffee, I understood my dislike for it :)

How does a coffee card work and how much does it cost? As I recall, espresso and cappuccino are free in the dining room.

In May it was something like $20 for 10 coffees. It is only for use in the Explorations lounge. Espresso and Cappuccino were free in the dining room.

I realize this is a little silly, but I have always taken my own coffee pot (4-cup) on my cruises, brewed myself Starbucks first thing in the morning....and loved having this luxury.

That sounds like a nice treat! I really miss Starbucks when cruising. I can't wait for the day they have Starbucks Coffee Shops aboard some cruise ships. Not only do I love the coffee, but the ambiance.

Ok, I'll the the odd one out here - I think HAL's coffee is MUCH better than the coffee on Princess. I'll admit it's been a few years since I've sailed Princess but watching them make coffee with the "glop" stuff instead of ground coffee, I understood my dislike for it :)

Oh, the visual...yuck! :eek:

We were told two weeks ago on the Rotterdam that this had finished. Has any one up to date info on this ?

Doh, I still have one punch left on my card that I was saving for my next cruise. Maybe they can give me $2 OBC instead. ;)

Carol, I knew you were a gal after me' own heart. :)

I love Dunkin Donuts' coffee, and can't stand Starbucks. I'm fine with the coffee on HAL, but have to say the coffee in the Java Cafe on the Prinsendam was the best on the ship (and still free, too! :D ). If that's what coffee in all the Explorations Cafes is like, I can understand why folks head there for a cuppa.

3 years ago and the coffee was quite good. Nothing like Princess but they could change to the syrup since then. I'll bring the pot. I've got a HAL cruise in Nov. and then a big one in the Med in June. This can be the trial run as I hate to lug the pot to Europe.

I like the coffee on HAL just fine. Tastes vary, I know.

It is strong enough, and it's fresh and hot.

Try the coffee in the Explorations Cafe. It's a wonderful room for sipping coffee of your choice while dreaming about your next cruise.

Archived