Who suffers Sea Legs after cruise?????!!!

TYSMOM

Just got back from a 4 day Bahamma cruise on the Sensation Sunday and I am still feeling it. We had rough seas the last day, 12-15 feet, which I think compounded the situation. I never get sea sick on a ship but I tend to get dizzy when off the ship not only after but even during the cruise. Its officially called "mal d'embarquement" syndrome. Google it, its a mild form of motion sickness after a trip.

I was on this cruise as well....WOW! That last night at sea was a doozy huh?!

I don't feel nauseated afterwards but I will stagger around. Sometimes it will just hit me suddenly (like yesterday in the grocery store) and I will just stumble suddenly. On the way home from Port Canaveral we stopped at a gas station and I went inside to use the bathroom and WOW I was stumbling all over the place. I'm sure the people there thought I was completely blasted at 10am!!! :D

Also be careful there is also a disease called Labryinthitis (sp?) I got this after my cruise to Antarctica...it is much worse than the normal after cruise symptons....just getting out of bed was rocky...My Dr. perscribed meclazine for the symptons...I call it getting land sick...

Labyrinthitis is a balance disorder. It is an inflammatory process affecting the labyrinths that house the vestibular system (which sense changes in head position) of the inner ear.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinthitis

I didn't know anything about this until last week. After my first cruise, which was only four days, it took about 5-6 to recover! We were rocking and rollin pretty much the whole time though, so I guess that can make it worse?

I was not "sick" at ALL during the cruise, though!

Yep, I get it too, even on the smoothest sailings. Really weird. I noticed it the most this last time while at work trying to concentrate. Very weird feeling, almost like I am conscious, but not really "there". And the rocking too!

I thought maybe I was crazy. After our last year cruise on the Holiday out of Mobile I swayed and rocked and was a bit nauseous for a little over 2 weeks. I did some research and found out about Mal de Barquement Syndrome. I really started getting worried when 2 weeks went by and I was still having to hang on to stop myself from falling out of my chair at work. I never got seasick on the ship. We did hit some rough water but I think that is fun. This time, on the Glory, I wore the patch when I got on the ship and then for 2 days after I got off the ship. So far, I've swayed once or twice but nothing like it was last year. (knock wood) Nothing comes without a price though and I've discovered the patch can cause your vision to be blurred. Of course, this is an unusual side effect and of course, my vision is blurry. Sigh. Next cruise I'll try Bonine.

I agree with you! Smaller spaces were worse!

Try taking ginger tablets. My hubby gets motion sickness easily. He took them on our last cruise, which got a little rocky both going and coming back, and he never once got sick. I took them to stay "regular" :o (they help for that too....) and wish I had thought to keep taking them after the cruise. Next time I'm taking them until the sea legs go away!!

That's the funny thing. I'm very prone to motion sickness (all I need is a book, a moving car and about 10 minutes!) and while I've grown kind of out of it, I'm still pretty prone. I took ginger and also took bonine when getting on tenders and other things. Never once got seasick...just felt like I was swaying for 3 or 4 days afterward.

It's just wrong to feel more motion on land than on the ship!

Ok silly stupid question. it seems that after every single cruise I take- I suffer from feeling light headed, and nauseas for at least 3-5 days after my cruise. Has anyone ever suffered from this as well??? The first few times I thought maybe I had gotten a cold, or was coming down with one... But especially after the last 2 I have started to wonder. I feel fine on the ships, never experienced Sea Sickness- but as soon as I step foot on land, I am light headed, queasy etc... You name it- anyone else suffer from this- or have any advice????

I don't suffer like that. After a cruise I'm usually picking up my feet then placing them down going into and out of rooms. Waiting for the announcements that something would happen or that it was grazing time again. Go into the kitchen to make coffee and expect to see a pastry appear.

It is interesting to see how everyone reacts differently. Dh and I have a sail boat, so we on the water often. I have yet to suffer from motion sickness on the boat or on a ride, but he can't even read in the car. I swayed for almost a week after a 6 night cruise and he was fine. The last cruise it hit me after about 4 days. I felt "land sick" in a store on shore. Once back on the ship, I felt fine. I would like to prevent that on our next cruise.:(

I get the sways!!! It seems like it happens to me in the shower, I have bounced off the walls several times.LOL DH has the same issues, just not as long. I have found that if I keep moving its fine. This next cruise I'm going to try taking to Bonines after the cruise,too.

On the way home from Port Canaveral we stopped at a gas station and I went inside to use the bathroom and WOW I was stumbling all over the place. I'm sure the people there thought I was completely blasted at 10am!!! :D

I had the same thing happen after our first cruise. We stopped at a rest area on I 95 in Florida and WOW! That was a strange feeling walking around that way. But after learning what MDD is and that I matched the symptoms, it took away any concern and I kind of enjoyed the sensation for a few days. :D

Hasn't happened again since then either. :mad:

It has taken me 15 cruises to finally get used to it. When we got off the Conquest Sept 9th was the first time I did not get the motion after the cruise. I just got off the Fantasy a couple of weeks ago and again nothing. Before it used to hang around for 3-5 days after the cruise.

Dave

I just got back from the Victory today. Besides having cruise withdrawl...I too am having sea legs (both at home and at LGA). Sometimes I'll be swaying back and forth for no reason. It usually takes a day or two for it to go away.

• 3 years later...

I got off the carnival inspiration 6 days ago and I feel dizzy and light headed still. I read it has no average time how long it will last and I am worried about this being with me for a long time. This was my first cruise and it may be my last because of this motion sickness. Any suggestions on how to get over this faster, Ive tried ginger and the patch but didn't help. :(

It's called Mal De Debarquement Syndrome (MdDS) and is pretty common.

Yes, very common, especially in an enclosed area like a shower with your eyes closed or a dark room where one has no external visual reference to the horizon or plumb lines.

Back during the days of taking Windjammer Barefoot Cruises, the “thread” was titled “When Does The Rocking Stop”. Because it was a much smaller ship and a much smaller group of loyal sailors it was almost considered a badge of honor to see how long it lasted!! The worst I had was coming off a week on a 160’ sailing ship, walking down the street in Phillipsburg St Martin and suddenly the mountain at the end of the street started swaying. Had to stop walking close my eyes until the side walk quit moving. Closest I have ever come to being sea sick!:D

I had the same thing happen after our first cruise. We stopped at a rest area on I 95 in Florida and WOW! That was a strange feeling walking around that way. But after learning what MDD is and that I matched the symptoms, it took away any concern and I kind of enjoyed the sensation for a few days. :D

Hasn't happened again since then either. :mad:

Hey The4Cruisers, usually speed read all the threads, however was enjoying this thread when I noticed your location! Small world, where off Brawley School Rd!:cool:

After my first cruise, it lasted about three weeks. But the last cruise it wasn't as bad or as long. The shower is one of the worst places, especially if you tip your head back to rinse shampoo from your hair.

Truly, at first I thought I was nuts, because I had no problems while on board. Once I found out it was real, I just rolled with it (no pun intended) and decided at least it meant I had a great vacation!

My sister and I grew up on boats....my parents always had one. When we were little kids my sis used to call that feeling the "Rocky Rollies". To this day, it's what my family calls them. And yes...even after spending most of my life around boats...I still get them!

Archived