Are river cruises feasible for the elderly who walk with difficulty?

asber

My wife & I are in our mid-to-latter 70's. More to the point, I walk with difficulty, supported by a cane; my wife is only a bit better. River cruises seem appealing but, with our difficulties, are they a reasonable option?

Well, hopefully someone who's more in your shape will respond. If not, you may want to post this in another place on these boards - maybe there's a section just for river cruises, not sure. In any case, we (mid-fifties) took Viking River Cruises from Amsterdam through the Netherlands. We loved it, but many of the tours (included in the price of the cruise) were walking tours, and I don't know if that would be so great for you. You are, after all, visiting fairly small cities or large towns, and you're docking right alongside the town, so there aren't very many bus tours - at least there weren't on the Netherlands trip we did. On the plus side, the river cruises generally cruise down rivers, which means there's a lot to see a lot of the time, unlike traditional cruise ships which cruise the ocean, with nothing to look at until you reach a port. So I would think that while you wouldn't enjoy a river cruise as much as more agile people might, you'd still enjoy it quite a bit. In each town, you're likely to find some things close by to be able to explore on foot and still get a taste of the town. And river cruises, in general, seem to be wonderful - not as many people on board, scenery just outside your door (well, your window) and all that....

Howdy asber! 50.gif

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Cruise Blogs & Websites Forum! 04.gif

Thank you for your post. However, you have posted your thread on the forum where members post their personal cruise-related blogs or websites for others. It is not the place for your type of post and the information you seek is off topic here. 05.gif

Per our Community Guidelines and to help you out, I am moving your thread to the River Cruises Forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191 where it will be on topic. The new location for your thread is a better location for more of your fellow Cruise Critic members to see it and help you.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

Hi Asber,

On the cruise my wife and I took - Amsterdam to Budapest - there were several people with varying limitations with regard to their walking. We would often be separated into three groups, one of which was those with difficulty walking. There would be a tram available in some places, like Rudesheim, or they would be taken on a much easier walking tour. All the tour guides were great on our trip and we often would see different things which make conversations at the diner table very interesting. There was an elevator on our ship as well, even though there were only three decks. The upper deck had an area where one could sit and watch the world go by all day. That's where I was all the time we were under way, except when we ate. There was no time where we could not see the scenery which was spectacular! I think you would like river cruising. Check out some of the threads here. On the Amalegro is a good one and a few pages down is On the Amadagio, this one is about our trip.

Buck

296074313_030RhineGorgeRudesheim.jpg.2e8e3a931db66ba03d6a715f8d2ca559.jpg

We went on the Viking Pride in May 2007 Amsterdam to Budapest. There was no elevator but the stairs were about 8 steps to each cabin level. On board we had passengers with different levels of mobility. Some with canes, one with a walker, and one with a wheel chair. These passengers had family members with them to assist them on the buses and tours. Some times they would go and some times they would stay on the boat. The Viking crew are very helpful in any way possible, but it is up to the passenger to decide to go or stay behind. There is a lot of walking. The guides are good about making sure everyone is keeping up with them. If you decide to stay behind, there was plenty to see around the docking areas and do on board. Some would get a taxi for a few EUROS and go into the downtown area on their own. I would try to read the message boards and look into a cruise line that has an elevator. I have a replaced knee and made it just fine on all the tours.

:D We loved the cruise and have plans to go to China with Viking in May 2008.

Asher (and your DW- that means Dear Wife): Welcome to Cruise Critic and welcome to River Cruising! First the quick answer-Yes, River Cruises are a reasonable option. The very fact that you are aware of your limitations and investigating before hand makes me think that you two will be able to find a way to enjoy a river cruise to the fullest extent of your abilities. Will you be able to do everything that someone much younger and much more able-bodied can do? No- but you can still have a great time.

We cruised with GCT (Grand Circle Tours) in August on their MS Concerto- 16 days from Vienna to Amsterdam (on the Danube, Main and Rhine Rivers). Our ship (and I believe all of their Rhine ships) had an elevator for all but one deck of cabins (and they were very clear about which deck wasn't accessible). All public areas were accessible via elevator or stair chair (glider). This particular area (Austria, Germany, etc) is gorgeous just for the scenery-(castles, cathedrals, locks, charming towns, bridges, etc); I assume river cruising in France would be similar.

At the ports: many of the tours were walking tours. GCT didn't break down their groups by "walking speed" (and I think that might be a good idea). However, the PD's (your Program Directors) always tried to be "up front" about how strenuous each walk would be. Only one time did they innocently "mislead" our group- they explained that the streets would be cobblestone (so anyone who would have trouble walking on uneven cobblestones should consider not going, etc). However, one couple came on the walk anyway- assuming that they would not go into the streets- they'd just stay on the sidewalks! Unfortunately, the PD should have said that there were NO sidewalks- we would be walking on cobblestones for the entire morning.

Also, several people assumed that the requirements of the ADA would apply on the trip- (handicapped ramps, lifts, grab bars in restrooms, etc) but one of those "A's" stands for American. While such accomodations have been made onboard the ships, the laws in Europe (and virtually everywhere else) are different. Those old castles & churches are not required to have an elevator! (Yes, I heard someone loudly complain that when the castle had been restored why didn't they install a lift?- of course, it had been restored three centuries ago- but that didn't stop people from complaining).

So what can you do? Each evening- right before dinner- the PD's discussed the next day's activities. Afterwards, I suggest asking the PD's for details about the strenuousness of the walk (or hopefully the bus tour). If you can only do part of it- ask for a good spot for you to sit and wait for them to return for you (many of the towns are small enough that the walk is almost a loop). As another poster mentioned- ask about hiring a taxi for a personal driving tour (or a carriage, etc) (at your own expense of course, but it shouldn't be too much). We were given a map of each town - review it with the PD so you'll know how far, etc- plus you'll know how to return to the ship. Also, decide in advance if there is one special place you want to see at each stop and arrange with the PD to get there directly. For instance, if you realy want to visit the cathedral in Cologne- ask for directions directly there- rather than visit it at the end of a one hour walk around town! (GCT gives everyone a detailed book about the cruise- what to see along the way, in each town, etc.)

Another hint- make sure you have a direct flight. We had to change planes in Paris (Charles de Gaulle) which was a nightmare! Long walks between terminals- stairs, etc. Also, you may be required to pull your own suitcases from the luggage carousels and out of the "secure area" to give it to the cruise personnel. Make sure you have luggage with wheels! And enough of the local currency to give a tip if you can find someone to help you. (However, luggage carts in Amsterdam were free, and this airport is very tourist friendly).

Anyone else have any hints to help Asher and his wife?

Our deepest thanks to all of you who responded with such excellent advice- especially to Host Kat for transferring my woes to the River Cruise board, & to Jersey Gem for remarkably detailed suggestions.

I don't want to press my luck but.... there are 2 more questions I really should have raised:

a) Are any cabins likely to have stand-alone showers? (ie, without the need to climb over a bathtub.)

b) Are there any raised toilets with firm hand-holds? I'll not try to paint any pictures but standard toilets with no hand-holds raise significant problems.

Finally, how can I get my hands around the throat of the person who coined the phrase "Golden Years"?

Again, with warm thanks.

You are most welcome and glad to be of service!

... Finally, how can I get my hands around the throat of the person who coined the phrase "Golden Years"?...

082502btw_prv.gif, when you find them let me know so I can take a shot at them too!

You might want to research our Disabled Cruise Travel Forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190. It is where cruisers with physical limitations share their advice and experiences. We also have our 55+ Cruisers Forum at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=276. You may find some helpful information in them.

Kat 050103cat_prv.gif

Good idea to ask these questions before making a booking. As DW, JerseyGem, noted - I can only speak to Grand Circle Travel. It's worth mentioning that an awful lot of the river boats look alike . . . but I don't know how alike they are in the cabin.

The cabin bathroom on the GCT ship had a walk in shower . . . just a small, low lip to step over. The bathroom itself and the shower were good sized. I'm a big guy and I never felt crowded. From conversation with other cruisers, the bathrooms in the balcony cabins were a bit smaller. One caution, there is also a lip/step over in the doorway between the cabin and the bathroom.

Toilets were regular US height, maybe just a little higher. There were not grab bars in our cabin, and I don't recall seeing any cabins on the deckplan labelled "accessible." The public toilets that I used on the ship as well in many places on the tours were not "accessible" and again I don't recall any grab bars. Also worth noting - expect to pay the "pottyguard" to use the facuilities (0.50 euro) seemed to be the going rate.

I suggest you address any accessibility cooncerns directly with whatever cruiseline interests you prior to booking.

As for "Golden Years " - maybe David Bowie should get the credit . . .

Also, just think of the alternative to reaching that stage in life ;)

Our ship, the Amadagio had incredible showers! Lots of spray nozzles. I just looked to see if I had a pic, but I don't. I can't recall if the toilets had bars. It's not all that big a bathroom and there is a counter to hold on to if that helps. The Amalegro is the sister ship and has a lot of the same amenities so I understand. The Amadagio is a wonderful ship and there were a few of our fellow passengers who had walking difficulties who seemed to get around alright.

Even if you don't get off the ship there are some amazing sights to see along the way. I can send you some pics if you like.

Buck

My wife & I are in our mid-to-latter 70's. More to the point, I walk with difficulty, supported by a cane; my wife is only a bit better. River cruises seem appealing but, with our difficulties, are they a reasonable option?

These boards are a great source of information and can be a source of miss-information. In your case I believe the best place to get the information you are looking for is directly from the cruise line. A river cruise isn’t anything like cruising on a large ocean going vessel. You will be spending a large amount of money and your decision should not be based on opinions from people that know so little about your concerns. Again I believe your best information will come from the cruise line.

Two and three years ago, My husband and I traveled with GCT on two river cruises, Great Rivers of Europe (Rhine, Main, Danube Canal and Danube) from Amsterdam to Vienna, and Rhine and Mosel, from Antwerp to Basel. He was 91 and 92 years of age, and pretty much confined to a wheelchair. (He passed away in October, 2007, just six weeks after the last cruise, which was our last of many, many travels together over 43 years of marriage). Fortunately, I'm in good health and was able to handle the wheelchair on the cobblestones, etc. It wasn't easy, but it meant so much for him to be able to go on these cruises. We did some of the shore excursions, and skipped some that had lots of stairs, etc. When the group tours weren't practical for us, we explored on our own. We both had a wonderful time, and I am so glad that we were able to do the trips.

We had balcony cabins on both trips, and had no problems with the cabin. The bathroom was easy to get around in, large enough shower, no steps etc. There was room to stow the wheelchair. We spent a lot of time on the balcony, and it was well worth the extra money.

I would say to the OP, go for it! Do what you can do, which will still give you a wonderful experience. Sitting on the sun deck, watching the world go by is a fantastic experience. In the "ports" you will usually be docked near the center of the towns, and you can spend the time there exploring on your own, so you don't have to worry about keeping up with a group. If you are docked a bit further away, you can ride the bus to the town center, and then find a little sidewalk cafe or town square from which you can look around as much as you feel comfortable doing. Each little town invites you to make your own discoveries. Your experiences may be different from those who do all the regular excursions, but they will be wonderful meaningful memories, just yours!

Thanks for sharing your memories! And I'm sorry that your husband has died, but how wonderful that you had 43 years together-as well as the opportunity to take so many trips together. I definitely agree that "wonderful, meaningful memories" are possible for everyone- just unique to each person's situation, interests, etc.

I also agree with those who suggest calling the individual cruise companies to find out what accomodations can be made to help you enjoy the cruise (and stay safe!). Does anyone know of a company whose ships have accessible cabins?

As DH (CPT Trips) mentioned, our bathroom on GCT's MS Concerto had a large shower stall with a small lip to climb over (to prevent the rest of the bathroom from flooding). The shower nozzle adjusted for height (up and down on a pole) but couldn't be detached (that is, it couldn't be "hand held"). The toilet was a little higher than the normal American toilet but wasn't as high as the toilets in the traditional handicapped restrooms. (I'm short, so I notice higher toilets.) Although I don't remember seeing a grab bar, the toilet is right between the wall (with towel bars) and the small sink. Either could be used to "stabilize/balance" yourself, although neither is designed to support your full weight. I suggest asking the cruise company (whichever you consider using) if you could rent one of those one piece high toilet seat/hand bars contraptions from somewhere for the duration of the cruise. For the life of me, I can't think of what they're called- and of course I have one right in the garage- I should take a pix of it and attach it to this thread! (If I could ever figure out how to do that!)

Most of us are talking about river cruising along the Rhine (and connecting rivers). I assume the assorted river cruises in France would be similar. A friend has taken two Rhine area cruises and just recently one in Russia- she did mention that the Russian one had more walking- and commented that Russians walk very, very quickly in spite of the poor sidewalk surfaces (cobblestome or unpaved, etc). Walking there was more of a challenge than in cities along the Rhine.

Also my Dad has recently taken several interesting trips with GCT and OATS (not necessarily river cruises). He's 84, and we worried about his walking/endurance (plus all his meds!). Needless to say, he loved it- In China, most of the walking was strictly at specific local areas; that is, you're bussed (bused?) to a tourist site (eg. part of the Great Wall) and you walk around at your own pace/distance, then get back on the bus. His trip did have a 5 day river cruise on the Yangtze. And this past winter, he did an African safari. Most of the touring was done from Jeeps and Land Rovers (since they obviously can't take you out for long walks with the lions, etc prowling about). And his safari was definitely not "roughing it" (his tents were plusher than many hotel rooms I've been in!) (Hint to those taking tours in Jeeps, etc: bring an inflatable pillow to sit on.)

So in spite of the tarnish on our "Golden Year" just "get out there...." (as some ad says).

(And after your cruise- please post back here to let us know about your trip and with all the hints you've learned!)

I am sure you will contact the cruiselines about the accessibility issues.

I would like to add that there is very little entertainment on the riverboats. And limited public areas - usually a restaurant, lounge area and deck. Not much to do if you stay on board while the tours are going on. Read the information on the tours very carefully - so you can ask questions. Most castles, churches, abbys do not have elevators - they have a lot of stairs. Many port tours are 'walking' in Europe that means a lot of uneven pavements. We had the tour buses drop us off and then disappear until the tour was over. So if you need to leave the tour you need to find a place to rest or transportation back to the boat.

I am not trying to discourage you - the river cruises are very expensive as many of the tours are included. If you are up to planning your own tours and paying for taxies and other incidentals then have a great cruise.

Hi Asber: My husband and I did the Amadeus Russian River cruise this past July. He had a 6-level spinal fusion a year ago and still needs a walker to get around. We found that the River Cruises gave us our best option. We were able to go where we wanted and if we thought that an optional tour would be too difficult to negotiate, we stayed onboard. The ship itself had no elevator, but steps were not a problem with him. We did go on a regular cruise (NCL) five months after his surgery, but that was in some ways much more difficult for us. We were able to get a handicapped accessible room, which gave us a raised toilet with handles (something the Amadeus did not have) but getting down a ramp to tender into port was a bit difficult with a walker and a man very unsteady on his feet. The rivers are so calm that walking around the ship is so much easier - and the staff was just wonderful. I hope you take the plunge (no pun intended) and go for it. River Cruising is the best. We are headed to South America in March and next year Egypt ...and yes, we will be bringing our "Johnny Walker" :D ! with us.

Good Luck

Ronnie

Dear Asber,

We just returned from a Budapest/Prague cruise with Amadeus Amalegro. My 80 year old mom (aka Recycled teenager) joined us. The cruiseline always had a "gentle walker" group. In one instance, it was a little tram that took us to Durenstein or mini bus that took us to Melk. (I accompanied mom on those excursions). The others in our group took the vigorous walk and climbed the stairs. In some instances, the locations had elevators/lifts.

The ship had an elevator that only went to deck 2. So I would look for a room on deck 2 or 3 if you selected that ship. There were several people who walked with the assistance of a cane or walker. They just took things are a more relaxed pace.

The bathroom are very small and there is no tub - just a walk in shower.

I found the cruise line to be very accommodating to the "gentle walker" group. Nancy, the cruise director, was very good and extremely helpful.

...the walk from any cabin to the most distant point on the ship is less than 5 minutes.

Just a friendly comment... unless you're mobility-challenged, I would say you can walk from any cabin (or any other point, for that matter) to the most distant point on the ship in less than ONE minute. :) Two, at the most.

Our ship, the Amadagio had incredible showers! Lots of spray nozzles. I just looked to see if I had a pic, but I don't. I can't recall if the toilets had bars. It's not all that big a bathroom and there is a counter to hold on to if that helps. The Amalegro is the sister ship and has a lot of the same amenities so I understand. The Amadagio is a wonderful ship and there were a few of our fellow passengers who had walking difficulties who seemed to get around alright.

Even if you don't get off the ship there are some amazing sights to see along the way. I can send you some pics if you like.

Buck

Just to jump in here. We just booked on the Amadagio to go look at the tulips next spring. Could you please send some photos to me at my e-mail link below.

Pete

I also have difficulty walking; I use a cane and can do stairs only if there is a sturdy railing to help pull me up. I just did a river cruise on the Viking Sky between Amsterdam and Vienna. The Sky has an elevator, but I never used it because I was able to do the half flights of stairs between our cabin and the lounge, and between the lounge and the dining room because they had good railings. The stairs to the upper deck were steeper, but there was a chair glider available.

The tours were a bit harder, but I was able to keep up, although it took some effort. Most of the large attractions on the land tours had elevators, but sometimes they were not available to the general public--you had to ask to use them and sometimes find the rest of your tour after you arrived on the other floor. Just once, I took a detour to shorten my walk. The cobblestones were more difficult to walk on.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I did a cruise 750 km along the Mekong River from the delta to Siem Reap in Cambodia. Several of the passengers were in their 70's, and another had had a leg deformity since his youth and used two crutches. Yet with the help of the crew, even he was able to participate in most on-shore excursions.

The crew were amazing, and so subtle in their assistance that you hardly saw them helping older people on and off the mother vessel either onto shore or into launches for excursions into small tributaries.

I understand the Pandaw has even had people in wheelchairs who have been able to (with the assistance of the crew) undertake many of the excursions. Of course, it helps if your cabin is on the same deck as the dining room and saloon.

We just returned from a cruise from Vienna to Amsterdam on Viking Sky. My wife has a significant amount of titanium in her body, and used a cane during the shore excursions. The crew was most helpful in assuring that most of the passengers with some sort of "mobilitiy restriction" were able to enjoy the towns/cities that we visited. First, the cruise manager assigned an extremely experienced tour guide to the "slow walkers" (us) for each of the walking tours. (There was a slow walker group for each of the walking tours.) The guide made sure that we were able to see most of the sights -- however, he/she explained those areas where it was not feasble for the group to travel. The guides were quick to volunteer the location of the elevators when such convenience was available! Second, the guides were careful to go at a pace that the participants were able to handle, keeping in mind that most of the travel was on cobblestones! (Some of the guides even deviated from the prescribed schedule to ensure that we were sble to take in the sights!)

All in all -- an experience that enabled those with mobility restrictions to enjoy.

Avie

Our thanks to all of you who responded so kindly with so much information. You have already given us a great deal to consider- eg, we are both unable to walk on cobblestones no matter how slow the pace or indulgent the guide.

My wife & I are quite familiar with the beautiful towns & rivers across Europe (wife born in Vienna, grew up in Switzerland; we have returned to them each year, lived & traveled the continent, though our growing physical problems are now threatening any further such travel.

We shall think hard on all this & thank you all again for your kindness.

ASBER

Archived