Would you or am I crazy....

rtrtx2

I have recently returned to college decades after graduating from high school, which now makes cruising difficult with my schedule, our sons schedule and hubby's work. Our only options are over Holidays which means $$$$, and ofcourse I am no longer working a paid job so we now have less $$$. So....I have found we can cruise the Mariner 7 nights over thanksgiving for about $2700 if we book in at two inside guarantees (versus one room at 3700 or two at 4200 with room assignments). I know we will most likely end up with two rooms on different decks, etc, so hubby and I would each room with one son (15 & 17). I figure we can hang out in one room, just sleep and get ready in two rooms. Am I nuts to consider this option? Our sons have not been on the Voyager class ships, I know they will love it but The $3700 isn't really in the budget. Or would you just wait til later ( which means over a year from now)

No...DO IT...when you go back to college after a family...you need the break! Believe me I know it as I did the same thing.

So please you owe it to yourself...you need this break...it's time for you to be a princess. Your inside room is you haven, your little private retreat...and no cooking, cleaning etc. until you get back. Enjoy.

If you want to go now and not wait for a year, do it. How much time do you really spend in the cabin? I'd be willing to guess that 15 and 17 year old boys would find lots to do and wouldn't be hanging out in the cabin anyway.

Guess it's all personal choice but my husband and I don't do much more than sleep, shower and change clothes in the cabin.

Congratulations on returning to school! I went back to college in my 40's with a bunch of kids still at home. I've never regretted it.

I would definitely cruise now, rather than later. I think your idea of the 2 guaranteed staterooms is a great, and very workable, idea. Last spring my husband and I and our then 17 year old son shared an interior stateroom for a 3-nighter and we had plenty of room. We remember all the fun things we did together, and our memories are not hampered by the small size of the cabin we were in.

Good luck with school!

Congrats! I know it can be tough as I went back to school after I turned 40. Now I work and go to school and oddly enough, my school schedule is more difficult to work around. If you will be out of school for your Christmas break early in December it may be less expensive to cruise the first, or even the second, week of December than it would be at Thanksgiving. We took on in August, getting back 2 days before heading back to school for the quarter and I have one scheduled Dec.1, after we're finished for the quarter. That wouldn't be feasable for you having kids in school (my youngest is 17 and is staying home with hubby).

I think the kids are old enough to be okay if you guys get separated. My boys were 16 and 20 when they were separated from us on a cruise (the girls were next door). We spent so little time in our rooms it didn't matter. All 6 of us had walkie talkies and the main rule was that they had to follow the buddy system (didn't care who they were with, just with some family member). Have fun!

Go for it and have a great time. The Mariner is a beautiful ship and who knows, maybe you will get cabins close by or together. Have your travel agent try and work her/his magic.

My experience has shown that a good TA will give you an advantage over trying to do it through RCL.

Happy Cruising

Dave

Why do you feel you and your husband have to split up? Do you not trust your sons?
I certainly don't think it is a matter of trust but the fact of two teen age boys and what they can think up. MOTHERS KNOW. Hope they go and have a great time.

I think that at 15 & 17 they would be okay in their own room, but of course that depends on what kind of teenagers your sons are :rolleyes: . And like others have said work w/your travel agent to get 2 rooms next to each other, that way you'd feel better about them sharing a room if they are right next to you.

I say take the vacation because who knows when you'll next have the chance w/everything going on in your life:)

Go for it...you never know..you could wind up with cabins togehter, or even better cabins....and a TA could probably help if you get/have a good one..or, it probably wouldn't hurt to pick up the phone to RC after cabin assignments and see if they could be a little closer together.....just make sure they link the reservations......

have fun, and congrats on going back to school! good for you!

I have recently returned to college decades after graduating from high school, which now makes cruising difficult with my schedule, our sons schedule and hubby's work. Our only options are over Holidays which means $$$$, and of course I am no longer working a paid job so we now have less $$$. So....I have found we can cruise the Mariner 7 nights over thanksgiving for about $2700 if we book in at two inside guarantees (versus one room at 3700 or two at 4200 with room assignments). I know we will most likely end up with two rooms on different decks, etc, so hubby and I would each room with one son (15 & 17). I figure we can hang out in one room, just sleep and get ready in two rooms. Am I nuts to consider this option? Our sons have not been on the Voyager class ships, I know they will love it but The $3700 isn't really in the budget. Or would you just wait til later ( which means over a year from now)

Go Now! And as Rev said...book for next year too!

I may be a bad influence as I think I have chronic vacation planning disorder. :) (even when $$$$ is low/very low)

I finished my masters last month. My take is to book the g inside now and book another cruise with a balcony after you finish your degree. I am back on these boards trying to figure out my celebration cruise. I should have booked while I was still going through the HE!! of finishing my thesis so I knew I had something to look forward too! :)

Congrats to you for going back and have FUN on your cruise -no matter how you work out the arrangements!

Ofcourse you guys are enablers, that is why I posted here (I knew you'd tell me what I want to hear, lol!).

Actually I trust my sons very much (although I have enough sense to always realize they are not perfect) but depending on how far apart the cabins are located, they actually do not like the idea (our oldest son has some mild disabilities and he is the one that is less independant. We are working on it, but I would not want to count on him to be fine with the cabin if they were on different decks. Ofcourse, if it turned out he was, then that is a bonus). Heck we really are only in our cabin at night, husband usually heads back first, then the boys and I come back, they order room service.

Guess I will head off to class, then get home and book.

Thanks!

Do it! I'm a grown-up college student, too, and I've started taking cruises for my spring break. I figure if I'm doing all the work, I'm going to get the perks, too. You definitely need some time off from work and school to focus on your family!

Yes, we are a bunch of enablers :D That's funny!

You all inspire me - tell me what you are returning to college to study? I have just let my secondary teaching certificate expire and am looking for a new direction! It is impossible to get a social studies position in 7-12th in my area, and I've just been subbing and at home with the kids - but I really need to do something more.

After you book just continue to watch for the cabin assignment. Then if they are not close together, check for other cabins in same category and then call and ask to be changed. They should not have a problem if the cabins are the same category and you explain the situation. Good Luck.

Congrats on going back to school. I went back 30 years after my first attempt. No advise on which cruise or room but... try online courses. Many traditional schools have distance learning programs and many online schools are now accredited by the same people that accredit traditional schools.

Distance learning makes it easy to work ahead to free up time or to work while away. I’m lucky this quarter, it ends the week that we leave (Serenade 12/15), so finishing early won’t be a major problem.

Besides making cruising easier, distance learning can make balancing home and school easier as well. No need to schedule life around regular class hours. Though making cruising easier is the most important part.

Congrats on going back to school. I went back 30 years after my first attempt. No advise on which cruise or room but... try online courses. Many traditional schools have distance learning programs and many online schools are now accredited by the same people that accredit traditional schools.

Distance learning makes it easy to work ahead to free up time or to work while away. I’m lucky this quarter, it ends the week that we leave (Serenade 12/15), so finishing early won’t be a major problem.

Besides making cruising easier, distance learning can make balancing home and school easier as well. No need to schedule life around regular class hours. Though making cruising easier is the most important part.

Archived