Left behind?

danya83

I agree, too. It's not like the ship having to slow down to let the people on is going to make anyone late for an appointment. What's the big deal?

Maybe next time throwing rocks would be better. Now that would be mean.

Ships are not required to wait for anyone--if you are on a ship booked excursion they will get you to the next port or the best place for a pick up, if you book on your own then you are responsible for your transportation.

Ships pay one port charge or fee for that particular port, they are also given a time schedule when they can dock and when they must depart. With the number of ships and the limited docking space its kind of a first come basis. Some companies have priority in certain ports because they have paid a "special" rental usage fee. This means that companies ships have priority and are always given the dock even if other ships are in port. In Juneau this year our ship (RCI) docked at 8 am but had to leave the pier and tender starting at noon because the NCL ship arrived and they have "priority" in Juneau this year. Our captain told us that it varies from year to year and from port to port. This is the reason that some ships stay in ports for 10 or more hours and some ships leave after 6.

chelle:D

Thats funny, I was told something completely different by our Captain as far as port fees go. The Captain told us that the company pays one fee and that it is negotiated on a contract basis and the hours that the ship is in port is determined by the cruiseline and not by the port authorities.

Hmmm...........it seems that each Captain has a different version of what happens in regards to port fees.

Thats funny, I was told something completely different by our Captain as far as port fees go. The Captain told us that the company pays one fee and that it is negotiated on a contract basis and the hours that the ship is in port is determined by the cruiseline and not by the port authorities.

Hmmm...........it seems that each Captain has a different version of what happens in regards to port fees.

Just speculating here, but this could still be true and fit in with what other captains have said. Perhaps the cruise line sets the time frame, and it's built into the contract they negotiated with the port authority, and they are bound to stick with it. Then, extending the time might be subject to increased fees. A scenario like that is a combination of what all three Captains referred to in this post have said, and would make each of them correct.

It's just an idea...

This is what I meant in my post...it varies from year to year which ports and for how long a ship is at that port depending on what "special" rental fees the cruise line pays--meaning what contracts have been signed. The less time a ship spends in port the less they pay. Sometimes ports that ships docked at the following year for hours and hours is now a short time port and they add hours at other ports. I think mostly in an effort to keep repeaters coming back and some ports charge a lot more for docking than other ports do--rumor is Key West and Grand Cayman are among the most expensive where Cozumel and St. Thomas are cheaper. Some companies have also had a big part in providing the funds to build new docks and improving port areas for some islands in exchange for exclusive use or priority use for an agreed upon number of years and then they leave allowing the islands to be able to charge a larger fee to other companies and in most cases completely turn around the economy of the island and its people.

In any case the stops the ships make are all contractual and fees are paid by every man, woman and child when they book a cruise. If that island is missed or changed you receive that port fee back. We missed two ports last year on two different cruises and the whooping $5.00 for one and $2.50 for the other and it was returned to us once in onboard credit and once in a credit from RCI.

I think the booing is the result that most late arrivers have brought it upon themselves. A few have legitimate reasons, like accidents and misinformation. The majority get drunk or chose to be oblivious of the time.

I guess my pet peeve is the one or two people that are ALWAYS late back to the bus during an excursion, TOTALLY inconveniencing the other travelers and interrupting the tour.

Of the many, many times this has happened .... I have NEVER seen or heard an apology. I is sad enough to be rude, but to an entire bus load, and repeatedly on the same excursion.

It is only a guess on my part .... but would not be surprised if these are some of the same people that are running for the boat. :rolleyes:

I have been known to boo people who are late coming onto the bus. My DH turns a lovely shade of red when I do that.:p I only do it when they're sauntering along, oblivious to the fact that a full bus load of people is waiting on them (it's happened more than once and it's inexcusable to be so cavalier about it IMHO). If they are at all chagrined about inconveniencing 30-50 fellow excursioners I let it pass.

of any port I would find it strange if someone was left at Labadee...some of the larger non private ports are one thing, but Labadee isnt that big and its RC run, so that would be a bit odd...but still strange that they called as you were pulling away to be sure

This is what I meant in my post...it varies from year to year which ports and for how long a ship is at that port depending on what "special" rental fees the cruise line pays--meaning what contracts have been signed. The less time a ship spends in port the less they pay. Sometimes ports that ships docked at the following year for hours and hours is now a short time port and they add hours at other ports. I think mostly in an effort to keep repeaters coming back and some ports charge a lot more for docking than other ports do--rumor is Key West and Grand Cayman are among the most expensive where Cozumel and St. Thomas are cheaper. Some companies have also had a big part in providing the funds to build new docks and improving port areas for some islands in exchange for exclusive use or priority use for an agreed upon number of years and then they leave allowing the islands to be able to charge a larger fee to other companies and in most cases completely turn around the economy of the island and its people.

In any case the stops the ships make are all contractual and fees are paid by every man, woman and child when they book a cruise. If that island is missed or changed you receive that port fee back. We missed two ports last year on two different cruises and the whooping $5.00 for one and $2.50 for the other and it was returned to us once in onboard credit and once in a credit from RCI.

It seems that some of the information that I was told is similar to what you were told but yet also very different. Our Captain told us that they pay one fee no matter how long that they are in port but its the cruiselines that decides on the hours spent in port. In other words they are not charged a heavy fine in they remain in port longer than expected. And that is far different from what you were told. It seems to me that each Captain has their own version of how the port fees are handled and that the misinformation being passed around is due to the Captain telling passengers different information. Really isn't that important of an issue for us to concern ourselves with but I just thought I'd share what our Captain told us. It seems to me like the Captains are sharing conflicting information with various passengers.

On my last cruise Celebrity British Isles/Western Europe, I booked an independant tour in Dublin. I knew I would be cutting it way close so I made arrangement just in case to catch the ship at the next port (Belfast). I went down EARLY expecting to have to get my passport stamped or to talk to customs. I went down and explained what was going on. The lady at Guest Services called down to someone and asked what do I need to do. I was told nothing, to have a good time. I was floored that it was that simple. Lucky for me, I made it back with about 15 minutes to spare and the only people behind me was the crew.

But I have to wonder just how much trouble I would have had at the border.

Thanks, Amlee, you seem to understand what I was getting at. I've asked this question a number of times here on these boards and never have gotten much actual information...

Happy Sails,

Annette

Autoguy;

Your absolutely right, us passengers do not have a say in where, when or how long. Its up to the companies and its set long before any of us book a cruise. I've never heard of a company paying a fine for going over the time--we've waited before for buses etc..that were involved in traffic, I was one of them in our first trip to San Juan and the rain forest. I think the only conflict comes if another ship is waiting for that dock space.

I know of a couple of left behind passengers and how our ship handled it which was to leave the paper work behind with the port officials who met the late passengers and helped them with travel arrangements to the next port. This is why your ID is photo copied or scanned into the computer and why all the port maps that are left in your cabins include the name and phone number of the local contact person should you need help while in port.

My rule of thumb; I allow myself at least 45 minutes to board in any port in case of long lines. This way I KNOW I am onboard in time--only once have I cut it close and having the captain stand at the bridge door tapping his watch and giving me the finger wag was enough to cure me of that. (He is a friend).

Autoguy;

Your absolutely right, us passengers do not have a say in where, when or how long. Its up to the companies and its set long before any of us book a cruise. I've never heard of a company paying a fine for going over the time--we've waited before for buses etc..that were involved in traffic, I was one of them in our first trip to San Juan and the rain forest. I think the only conflict comes if another ship is waiting for that dock space.

I know of a couple of left behind passengers and how our ship handled it which was to leave the paper work behind with the port officials who met the late passengers and helped them with travel arrangements to the next port. This is why your ID is photo copied or scanned into the computer and why all the port maps that are left in your cabins include the name and phone number of the local contact person should you need help while in port.

My rule of thumb; I allow myself at least 45 minutes to board in any port in case of long lines. This way I KNOW I am onboard in time--only once have I cut it close and having the captain stand at the bridge door tapping his watch and giving me the finger wag was enough to cure me of that. (He is a friend).

Yes I believe its better to be early than worry about making alternate arrangements later. Off topic........but did you enjoy San Juan?

Lucky you, I see that you have a cruise coming up soon. What ship are you sailing on? My girlfriend and I are looking to book our next cruise on Wednesday during the one day sale and would appreciate any input. We've read some good reviews lately about various ships and have some ideas of what we may do but still not 100% decided.

In my experience ... on a ship tour ... no worries .... no matter what the problem ... one should be on the ship. For those with exceptions, please inform us .... thanks

How right you are. Thats why a ship excursion seems to be the safer way to go if you are limited on time.

Autoguy;

San Juan is good. I've been 5 or 6 times and sometimes its awesome and sometimes it's just okay. The rain forest tour was beautiful but the ride there and back was not. I love Old San Juan and the history. I loved our first Bacardi Rum Factory Tour but the second not so much since they'd changed the whole tour and you don't really see the factory anymore just the gift shop and bar.

My upcoming cruise is on the Serenade out of San Juan doing the southern caribbean. We have stops in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. I love the eastern and southern since its more what I envision the caribbean to be like with the islands and people and beauty. Western is not my favorite--too busy, crowded and loud and not very pretty. (MY OPINION ONLY!)

I've only cruised on Royal Caribbean and always been pleased...love the ships and the crew. We are working on booking up next years cruises now also. If you have any questions that you want to ask about specific ships or ports I'll help if I can...I've done a lot and I know lots of people who have done loads more than I have and I can offer thoughts about the ports or whatever.

The one day sales are great I've found quite a few cruises with that deal and you might also try cruisesonly.com they are having a big sale right now also with free upgrades and they always have a comparable price. I use them probably 80% of the time.

I am not quite sure why people would boo latecomers....it seems so mean. You're on vacation, it's not harming you in any way to slow down and let them catch up. Certainly if they had to pay $2500 to get a ride to the ship, they were punished.

It seems people these days are getting more and more mean spirited, and that makes me sad.

That's just it. There are some people out there who consider $2500 a drop in the bucket. They spend that and more on a single box of cigars at a Christies auction. Maybe these people were in that class, maybe not. The only way to make an impression is by inconveniencing or embarrassing them. IMO, the truly mean spirited people were the ones who didn't consider the rest of their shipmates waiting for them.

That's just it. There are some people out there who consider $2500 a drop in the bucket. They spend that and more on a single box of cigars at a Christies auction. Maybe these people were in that class, maybe not. The only way to make an impression is by inconveniencing or embarrassing them. IMO, the truly mean spirited people were the ones who didn't consider the rest of their shipmates waiting for them.

Thank you Bob, that is the point. People on the tours are told, be back on the bus at 11:00 so there are always a couple of people that will get back on at 11:10, same people...every stop. I see people every cruise that are told be back on the ship at 4:30 and 4:55 here they come running up the gang way. They are inconvenicing 2,000 people because they think they are more important then the rest of us. Many times I have seen the crew putting the gangway back down for them. If you are late because of an accident or something that is fine but just because you are inconsiderate? Now that is mean spirited, not the people booing them. That makes me sad. Thanks again for point that out.

How exactly is someone who paid $2500 to catch up to the ship inconveniencing anyone? Is the fact that the ship slowed down a bit an inconvenience? Give me a break. I don't care if they are millionaires or not, booing is uncalled for. AND NO, I have never been late back to the ship.

I am far too busy having a good time to give a darn if we are leaving at EXACTLY the moment we are scheduled to leave. Booing is ridiculous.

Should the person(s) have been there, sure, and if they missed the boat it's also THEIR problem, not yours. I just don't give a darn enough to boo someone for this, seems foolish and, YES, mean.

I agree Gracie.

It also seems that people are mixing Apples and Oranges.....someone getting a ride out to a moving ship or missing the ship completely is a lot different that someone holding up a excursion.

I would have no problem telling someone who was late getting back to the bus that they were inconsiderate of the rest of the people. This is the number 1 reason we prefer non-ship excursions; so that we can be sure that we aren't being held up by people who have little or no concern for others. We can also keep the driver on time and not stay at any attraction we don't like or stay longer somewhere we do like.

I have never missed the ship or been one of those last on folks....I tend to be early to everything. I have also been one of the people laughing at those late-comers running (stumbling) down the dock in Cozumel. :D

Desertbelle-

Agree completely. Holding up an excursion, off the ship, is much different than almost missing or missing the boat by yourself. That is rude and inconsiderate and I actually told someone so when the FULL bus we were on in Tulum was held up for nearly an hour while waiting for her and another who were window shopping. Now THAT'S inconveniencing someone. She could not have cared less. Sad.

I still remember my DH's first cruise, we were on the Mariner and were docked in Cozumel . I and a group of CC's really enjoyed showing him why it was so fun to hang out on deck 4 dockside about 30 minutes til sail away. He was surprised to see all the drunk people basically crawling back to the ships! He even got to see some of them run for their ships as we all cheered them on! No we were not mean, just encouraged them to run faster! Now the year before was my mom and I alone same cruise and she gets back to ship, has a few more drinks after we board and then takes a nap. Fast forward to being home and developing our cruise pics. She asks me when I took the pics of her and the guys in costume? I had to explain that she really liked these guys and insisted on a picture with them, they were on the dock as we walked back to the ship. She had no clue!! I had a good laugh, she was well liked by several staff and they asked about her a few times. I hope to be able to take her on another cruise again soon!

They are inconveniencing 2,000 people because they think they are more important then the rest of us.... If you are late because of an accident or something that is fine but just because you are inconsiderate? Now that is mean spirited, not the people booing them.

Well said. If there is a LEGITIMATE reason for lateness (RCI excursion running late, car accident, Timmy fell down a well...), that is one thing. Life happens. However, when people disregard time (forgetfulness, phobia of watches, I-don't-care-syndrome...) what they are telling everyone else is that they are not worth basic respect and that the late-person's time is more valuable.

It is a vacation. But, it is also MY vacation. It is also involves the crew's JOB. I doubt that any crew member likes the problems caused by delaying the ship.

I try to show respect for other's enjoyment on cruises, I only ask the same of them.

ps- show up late to my house for dinner, and you don't get fed. My ship waits on nobody! :p

we have made sure to e back on the ship in every port we've been to in a timely manner...as have seemingly everyone else...if we can all do it, there should be no excuses when the ship leaves your behind in a port if you're late...if you dont care, dont pay attention, etc...you deserve to get left, and if you choose to save a few bucks on an excursion by booking outside the cruise line, and that excursion is late...deal with the consequences...thats why I will always book through the cruise lines

Archived