Left behind?

danya83

On board Mariner in September, as we were pulling out of Labadee and our room phone rings. DH answers it. It is a security person.....MAKING SURE HE IS ON THE SHIP!

Well he is ... obviously. BUT, had he not been on the ship what would they have done? Have you ever been left behind...what happens? I mean, we were already moving away from Labadee!!!

I guess when he got on the ship his card went in backwards and bing'd instead of bong'd.

On board Mariner in September, as we were pulling out of Labadee and our room phone rings. DH answers it. It is a security person.....MAKING SURE HE IS ON THE SHIP!

Well he is ... obviously. BUT, had he not been on the ship what would they have done? Have you ever been left behind...what happens? I mean, we were already moving away from Labadee!!!

I guess when he got on the ship his card went in backwards and bing'd instead of bong'd.

It is very simple. You have cruised, so you know this. The ship sails when the ship sails, generally at its scheduled time. If you are not on board, the ship sails without you.

If you have thought to carry that day's Cruise Compass with you, you will find the name and phone number of the Port Agent, whom you should contact to make arrangements to catch up with the ship. This will be completely at your expense

It is very simple. You have cruised, so you know this. The ship sails when the ship sails, generally at its scheduled time. If you are not on board, the ship sails without you.

If you have thought to carry that day's Cruise Compass with you, you will find the name and phone number of the Port Agent, whom you should contact to make arrangements to catch up with the ship. This will be completely at your expense

I get that, but then why would they call your stateroom to see if you are onboard?

I get that, but then why would they call your stateroom to see if you are onboard?

I would say just to double check before they notify the port agents or other officials that someone is missing. I would suspect more people, like your husband, are left "behind" on the computer rather than actually left on an island.

We were on Mariner also in September. We were sitting down for a drink after a day in St. Maarten and there is an announcement calling for my friend to call guest services immediately. She turned white and went to the phone - thinking there was an emergency phone call or something. It turns out that her card didn't read properly when she got back on the ship, so they just wanted to be sure she was onboard. If she hadn't responded I guess they would have tried to contact her cabinmates, and then gone from there.

Generally, if you are not on board when thet ship sails... oh well. Since this time the ship was leaving from THEIR island it may be a different story, but always give yourself plenty of time to get back on board before the ships sailing time. :eek: :D :eek: At least they checked.... that is not the norm!

We were on Mariner also in September. We were sitting down for a drink after a day in St. Maarten and there is an announcement calling for my friend to call guest services immediately. She turned white and went to the phone - thinking there was an emergency phone call or something. It turns out that her card didn't read properly when she got back on the ship, so they just wanted to be sure she was onboard. If she hadn't responded I guess they would have tried to contact her cabinmates, and then gone from there.

Same thing happened to us on the Carnival Conquest. After we left Montego Bay, they kept paging my uncle over the PA system. Apparently, they didn't scan his card properly when he got back on the ship and didn't think he was onboard.

On at least 3 of our cruises people were left behind due to lateness as well as being put off the ship. Does anyone dread the passenger paging you know will happen between last boarding call and ship departure? I know I do....someone may be staring at some unexpected troubles...just wouldn't be pleasant.

When we left Bermuda in 2000 we were sailing along quite nicely then suddenly the ship slowed down. Lots of us went to the rail to see why. Here comes the Bermuda police speed boat (marked PLOLICE) with 2 passengers on it and they pulled along side like the Pilot does and let these two on board. Of course lots of us were booing but anyway. They actually sat quite close to our table at dinner and we heard them say they were riding around the island on a moped and lost track of time. It cost them $2,500 to have the Bermuda police use their speed boat to come up to us. The police had to radio the ship to see if the captain would agree to slowing down and allowing the passengers to board, he could have just as easily said no as to say yes. What I wonder is with all of the cheap watches available on the ship if these people did not own a watch why they did not just buy one so this would not happen. How else could you lose track of time unless you don't own a watch?????? Every cruise I have been on they tell you in so many ways what time to be back on board and just about every cruise you will see people running down the dock 5 minutes before the ship is set to leave. Pushing the envelope so to speak.

On our recent Monarch cruise, they were paging a couple several times. The captain actually held the ship from sailing for about 30-45 minutes waiting for this couple. We watched as the stores at the port closed up. Suddenly, a cab pulls up in front of the pier and this drunk couple stumbled out of the taxi. Everyone on deck was yelling at them. It was quite funny! On the 3-day cruise, it's not like we'll miss a port by waiting or anything.

I would just hate to be the one's left behind.

Deb

But Labadee may be a bit of a different story. If you are left behind there then RCI might still be left having to take care of you. You are in their compound with no amenities for eating or sleeping. I would bet that they would want to get you off of there and back onto the ship. Anywhere else, of course, you would be pretty much on your own.

we had just starting pulling away from Ochie on Navigator a couple years ago...we were away from the dock but still close...here comes a little tiny powerboat with a woman and child...i think they contacted someone at the port who quick called the ship...we slowed and the woman and her little child got on...but we were later told by a crew member that the only reason the captain agreed to let them on was that she had a little one...otherwise, tough tonenails!!

My favorite part about having a balcony on my first cruise Adventure of the Seas, was when they were just about to pull in the stairs, people start running screaming wait!!!!! We were cracking up, everyone on the balconys were laughing and yelling run, run ,run. One lady was running, got down on her knees and crossed herself, I believe she made it. I think that everyone did. It was just really funny to see.

I am not sure what was up with our Mediterranean cruise this past September but we did not always leave port on time......and then we would hear announcements of names that I assumed were people not on board.. One time we got back from a RCCL excursion late and just about made it... I wonder if they would leave people who have paid for an excursion with their cruise lines....really can they just leave a whole group of people out there on a sponsored excursion???

I am not sure what was up with our Mediterranean cruise this past September but we did not always leave port on time......and then we would hear announcements of names that I assumed were people not on board.. One time we got back from a RCCL excursion late and just about made it... I wonder if they would leave people who have paid for an excursion with their cruise lines....really can they just leave a whole group of people out there on a sponsored excursion???

I can't speak from experience, but I've been told numerous times that one of the reasons it's good to buy the ship's high-priced excursions is that you won't be left behind if something happens to delay the tour bus or whatever. Again, no experience - just hearsay.

However, this did happen on our recent Explorer New England trip:

We were delayed twice by passengers who did not get to the ship by our scheduled departure time. Once the captain left port and actually turned around to get the latecomers. The second time he just announced that we were holding the ship. Actually held it almost an hour, as I recall. I asked our head waiter why he didn’t leave them behind, and he said the captain must have been in a good mood. He said this does not always happen.

It is one of the perks of booking excursions through the cruise line they will wait for you! We have had ships wait two hours because our ship's excursion was late and we actually had the ship come around the other side of the island and pick us up in tenders from a beach because of a bus strike that shut down the road systems of Guadalupe.

It is one of the perks of booking excursions through the cruise line they will wait for you! We have had ships wait two hours because our ship's excursion was late and we actually had the ship come around the other side of the island and pick us up in tenders from a beach because of a bus strike that shut down the road systems of Guadalupe.

Yup! I agree with this, if your excursion is time sensitive and/or a long distance from the ship, it may be wise to book the excursion through the cruiseline.

On our recent Monarch cruise, they were paging a couple several times. The captain actually held the ship from sailing for about 30-45 minutes waiting for this couple. We watched as the stores at the port closed up. Suddenly, a cab pulls up in front of the pier and this drunk couple stumbled out of the taxi. Everyone on deck was yelling at them. It was quite funny! On the 3-day cruise, it's not like we'll miss a port by waiting or anything.

I would just hate to be the one's left behind.

Deb

Not that there is any excuse to understand why people would be late, but on the Monarch 3 night cruise there is nowhere the ship is going the next day. The last time we were on her, we didn't even cruise around in circles, we just hovered out to sea a couple miles off shore. So, I'm not surprised the ship waited, they aren't in a hurry like a ship that has to make it to another port.

It is amazing though, how many people show up at (for example) 5:00 when the instructions clearly state 4:30 :confused: you see it on just about every single cruise, no matter where it is. I think a lot of people don't bother to read the port info, nor do they listen to the crew when disembarking, when they tell you 25 times what time it is now and what time to be back onboard.

I have read on these boards of the unlikely occasion where cruisers on a ship-sponsored excursion were late and did miss the ship. While the ship did not wait, the cruiseline was responsible for getting the cruisers to the next port.

I am not quite sure why people would boo latecomers....it seems so mean. You're on vacation, it's not harming you in any way to slow down and let them catch up. Certainly if they had to pay $2500 to get a ride to the ship, they were punished.

It seems people these days are getting more and more mean spirited, and that makes me sad.

LMAO!!! Hilarious, you're soo funny!! ;)

Glad you made it on a-okay. We may dream of a vacation on a deserted island but...haha no one REALLY wants it.

I am not quite sure why people would boo latecomers....it seems so mean. You're on vacation, it's not harming you in any way to slow down and let them catch up. Certainly if they had to pay $2500 to get a ride to the ship, they were punished.

It seems people these days are getting more and more mean spirited, and that makes me sad.

I agree:( .

Archived