Does anyone else ENJOY Disembarkation?

MakinGold

I was thinking about this while reading the "5 things you hate" thread. Most of the things that others complain about were things I don't mind at all. Several, though, complained about the disembarkation process, though, and I wondered if we're just strange for actually enjoying it (other than the fact that it means our cruise is over). We gather up our carryons, enjoy one last breakfast in the WJ, find a spot in one of the lounges, where we can sit and watch out the window, and just hang out, chatting about our week, watching all the things they're loading onto the ship for the next voyage, the people getting off and the people who are there really early waiting to get on . . .

It's always, to me, been a relaxing time, before heading off back to the real world. I suppose if I was worried about missing a flight at the airport or being in a hurry to get to my car to drive home, it might be different, but I've never been in that much of a hurry to get off the ship.

I was thinking about this while reading the "5 things you hate" thread. Most of the things that others complain about were things I don't mind at all. Several, though, complained about the disembarkation process, though, and I wondered if we're just strange for actually enjoying it (other than the fact that it means our cruise is over). We gather up our carryons, enjoy one last breakfast in the WJ, find a spot in one of the lounges, where we can sit and watch out the window, and just hang out, chatting about our week, watching all the things they're loading onto the ship for the next voyage, the people getting off and the people who are there really early waiting to get on . . .

It's always, to me, been a relaxing time, before heading off back to the real world. I suppose if I was worried about missing a flight at the airport or being in a hurry to get to my car to drive home, it might be different, but I've never been in that much of a hurry to get off the ship.

That does sound nice. I thought you were losing it there for a minute, but it is a relaxing way to cap off your vacation and squeeze every second of enjoyment out of the cruise. I, on the other hand, have to fly and am scared to death! I am usually getting ready to find my only friend in flight, Mr Xanax. So, my vacation usually comes to an abrupt end on disembarkation day! You way sounds much nicer!

In my 2 cruises, disembarkation was total opposites. On Voyager there was a lot of standing around waiting. On Majesty, we were out of the port and at the airport by 9am. As a 25 year airline passenger, air travel today is horrendous, so that isn't worth looking forward to. After a week long cruise, I am anxious to see the pets.

I'm not at all looking forward to waiting around with my antsy kids. I can see this being a crappy end to a great cruise.

I've only got one antsy kid, but he usually doesn't seem to mind either. Sometimes we'll play card games with him, but he also enjoys watching the loading of the ship and seeing what they're bringing on. It can be interesting (and somewhat disconcerting if you're a dieter ;)) to watch them bring a full pallet-load of butter onto the ship, f.e.

Anyway, from the replies so far, I guess we are a little strange. :D

We've YET to be able to have any sort of breakfast prior to leaving--it's rush, rush, rush. No one on the ship (employee-wise) is smiling. There is no service.

It's the absolute worst part of the entire trip--that, and the flights!!!!!!

Speaking of disembarkation:

It is absolutely amazing to me, every single time, how efficient cruise lines turn over cruise ships. Just think about it. Cleaning up after 2000 plus people, get the ship ready within a couple of hours (including a total change in the buffet area).

Every time I walk on a cruise ship it seems like this ship and staff was in dock for weeks just waiting for us to board.

:D

I'm with you OP. I enjoy it too. We usually do the same, wait patiently after a nice breakfast, watching the goings on and looking forward to seeing my family, pets and home and sleeping in my own bed. I love cruising, but after a week or so on the ship, I'm happy to be going home.

MakinGold:

While I certainly disagree with your thoughts on disembarkation, I do like your attitude about something that can be a nusiance(sp). Many people on ships will become aggitated when there is adversity thrown at them. Your desire to turn something that seemingly is not so pleasurable into a positive experience is something you should be commended for.

I like your attitude and hope many like you will be on my future cruises.:D

Alan

MakinGold:

While I certainly disagree with your thoughts on disembarkation, I do like your attitude about something that can be a nusiance(sp). Many people on ships will become aggitated when there is adversity thrown at them. Your desire to turn something that seemingly is not so pleasurable into a positive experience is something you should be commended for.

Alan

Well, it might not be the highlight of the cruise, but I do enjoy people watching, and watching the logistics of resupplying the ship. It can be a pleasant time, especially if you're catching a flight. They pretty much always get you to the airport on time, and I'd rather be sitting in a comfy lounge on the ship than sitting in an airport. :D

We'll be that family you guys are pointing at and laughing.

USAir changed our flight home from a casual 3pm to a "how are we going to make it?" 11am flight out of Ft Lauderdale!! OMG! of course everything else later is sold out!

so we'll be up at the crack of dawn and racing to the airport! sigh :(

I think a lot of people get stressed out a debarkation because they have planned their itinerary that day so as not to "waste" time. They are counting on a quick and orderly departure from the ship, immediate pick-up of baggage, breezing through customs, and a fast cab ride to the airport, all so they can catch the flight they chose based on all of the following steps going just right. Sure, if everything goes perfectly, you can make that 10:00 AM flight home from Fort Lauderdale, but when the timing starts to go wrong, it is really stressful, and people tend to blame the cruise line for not running everything perfectly, instead of blaming themselves for not allowing enough time for contingencies.

I don't get stressed out on debarkation day because I allow enough time for lots of problems. If I have to spend extra time at the airport, gee, I'll have another Starbucks and read another magazine.

We'll be that family you guys are pointing at and laughing.

USAir changed our flight home from a casual 3pm to a "how are we going to make it?" 11am flight out of Ft Lauderdale!! OMG! of course everything else later is sold out!

so we'll be up at the crack of dawn and racing to the airport! sigh :(

That stinks - please don't feel that my previous post was aimed at you - you planning was great and the airline scr*wed you. Last year JetBlue cancelled our 2:00 PM flight, and the alternatives they gave us were 11:00 AM or 6:00 PM. We knew that the 11:00 might be a no go, so we had to take the 6:00. That was a LOOOONG day in Fort Lauderdale. I now try to fly only on "real" airlines with more than three flights a day.

It's all in the attitude - and the OP has a good one. My biggest problem is that I'm not a morning person and because of having to get up extra early and actually function on that last morning, I always feel harried.

But there's always the next cruise to look forward to. :D

It's all in the attitude - and the OP has a good one. My biggest problem is that I'm not a morning person and because of having to get up extra early and actually function on that last morning, I always feel harried.

But there's always the next cruise to look forward to. :D

Makingold must be a morning person. Because that last morning is tough. Get dressed - pack up the carryon - get coffee from some where - NO room service. I send DH to Seattles Best and have him get me 2 black coffees. Then I can proceed to take care of the other disembarkation chores.

I liked on NCL that you can stay in your cabin until your color is called. If other cruise lines can do this and still open up the cabins about the same time in the afternoon for the new guests then why can't RCI? Also on NCL I was able to order full room service for breakfast on the last morning.

MakinGold:

Alan

Your absolutely right. I was once on an airplane, back when they served food. The people on the ground miscounted and they were short two meals, mine and the guy next to me. He got so angry and mean spirited I was embarrased for him and mouthed to the flight attendant, "He is not with me"

Archived