Princess needs 47 cents USD from you?

mediaman

Here is an emergency message from Princess to share, that was first sent to my travel agent and forwarded to me. I am paid and booked on the Sapphire Princess, Nov. 18 departure from Thailand to China and the pre-cruise program.

==============================================

PRINCESS CRUISES

EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION

02 October 2007

*** Government Fees and Taxes - Notice of Increase ***

Please be advised that the government fees and taxes have been adjusted by an additional USD $0.47 per person, to reflect the updated amount for this voyage. For bookings paid in full, this amount will automatically be charged to your client’s shipboard account..

Thank you for your attention to this notification. We look forward to welcoming your clients aboard Sapphire Princess. (for 18 November : Laem Chabang to Xingang/Beijing.)

Yes, what's the problem? Quite often taxes increase and when that happens, the computer generates such a notice so it won't take you by surprise. The computer sends the notice whether it's 47 cents or 47 dollars. I think it's a great service that heads off drama on board.

.47 cents is a big deal when you multiply it out by the number of passengers ( in this case I just used 1000 for arguments sake not to good in the math dept here)....and Princess cruiseline is a business so I can see why they would rather have the individual passenger pay uncle sam or whomever rather than have $470 come out of their pocket.

Andy

I meant the drama of seeing a charge on your account that you weren't expecting. But I have seen drama over $1.99. You'd be surprised what causes drama for some people. Just look at the furor over the $10 autotip.

Auto tip has gone up to $10.50 and $11 for suites.

Maybe the said "emergency" because otherwise people would just throw it out and not read it? I see it as just trying to keep everyone informed.
Princess sends all of their notices to TAs or those that book directly with Princess as "Emergency". These include fee increases, port changes, passport or visa information and anything else that pertains to the voyage.

I think the OP is refering yo the fact that it's an "Emergency notice". Well I guess it's cheaper doing it this way then to print out 1500 pieces of paper to be handed to the guests as they arrive.

I have a cruise booked for november. The EMERGENCY NOTICE

on my cruise says that starting in January, passports will be

required.

How is that an EMERGENCY NOTICE for my cruise? It doesn't

even apply...

I believe the new tip of $10.50 goes into effect on Nov. 1. Any raise in taxes, no matter how small, is always passed on to the passenger. However, just remember that once booked and deposited your cruise fare never changes even if Princess raises it.

Barbara

Archived