AFT cabin or mid ship - Infinity Alasa

seapad

I am doing my homework as we are thinking of our 1st cruise on the Infinity. We plan to get a cc cabin, and we also intend to "try" to wath the glaciers from our cabin balcony. I have heard a lot about the nice view of a rear view aft cabin, but when the ship is in the glacier, will the mid ship balcony offer better viewing?

Thanks for helping me out to decide.

BTW: we're thinking of the Sky deck rear cabin, or mid ship port side. Not sure which one offers better option based on my goal.

One decision might help you. When the ship is at the glacier and I assume you mean Hubbard glacier, the ship does a 180 degree sometimes a 360 so it really does not matter where your cabin is. Most people will go outside on the deck and view the glacier. the views there are spectacular.

marilyn

For us, this is easy. We prefer aft cabins all the time. As mii noted, when you are viewing the glacier, you'll be there for awhile and can go anywhere on the ship to get a great view if the view from your veranda isn't what you want. But we love having the aft cabin throughout the entire cruise. For us, there isn't anything like it. And the aft cabins on the M-Class ships (Infinity) are wonderful.

Alaska is terrific. ENJOY!

This past May, 2007 we were on the Infinity from San Fransisco to Vancouver in cabin 9199. This is an aft cabin. The views are great. We would sit outside on the very large balcony and view the coastline. Just do not tell anybody about these cabins they are "hard" to find -but very customer friendly. The service staff treated us great. It was better than a sky suite-because of the balcony and the view. But that is our opinion.

You will enjoy your holiday/vacation in an aft cabin.

Bruton Branch:)

Hi Bruton Branch

We are doing exactly the same cruise this April (28th) and have cabin 9201. Someone mentioned on these boards that this cabin could be noisy because of the FV cabin next door and children running along the corridor. Did you have any problems. I was excited at being able to book one of the aft cabins until this was mentioned and was actually thinking of upgrading to a Sky suite. Would appreciate your thoughts and also any help and advise you could give on this cruise. We have done 20 plus cruises but this will be first time to Alaska.

Thanks in advance Marilyn

But we love having the aft cabin throughout the entire cruise. For us, there isn't anything like it. And the aft cabins on the M-Class ships (Infinity) are wonderful.

Alaska is terrific. ENJOY!

Ahhhhh, this is what I wanted to read this morning:p .

Somehow I was lucky to see an aft CC cabin available for the June 27th Infinity cruise. I always wanted to know what it was like in an aft cabin, mostly doing Alaska.

Sadly I have been told on the Alaska board here at Cruise Crittic that there might be a good chance we will not be doing the inside passage (between Vancouver Island and BC) as advertised on the map at the Celebrity web site. I thought that would be fun viewing from the Infinity aft but kind of bummed out Celebrity's web site isn't accurate sometimes:cool: .

Thanks,

John

It was our first X cruise to Alaska, but have taken many others and several on X to other places:) . We were very luck in this cruise as it did not rain, drizzle at all until our return/departure from Vancouver. As for doing things in Alaska it is all a matter of personal opinion. We are do it our selfers, We can and did walk to many things, such as the bird preserve, towns,etc. We also used the local bus service to go to many sites. The bus to Mendenhall glacier $12 pp rt. On our train trip you can do on your own, buy the ticket on the internet as our ship docked less than 1/4 mile from the train depot. Way pay X for a ticket service. The towns are very compact and all walk able. Remenber that the cruise lines have interests in many shops . Let us know if you have any specific ?

Have a great weekend

Bruton Branch:)

Thanks Bruton Brancher we are also "do it yourselfers" and enjoy walking never mind how far. We think you see a lot more by making your own way to places and we are not afraid of taking public transport. Did you find the aft cabin noisy at all and can you recommend a nice hotel in San Francisco. We were thinking of the Orchard on Bush Street. Wanted a good hotel but did not want to pay megabucks for it. Thanks for your tips.

Marilyn

Cruzadict-Marilyn,,

Everyone has an opinion, but we do not book our hotel thru the cruise line as you will generally be paying double. We have stayed in the Tuscan Inn,Villa Florence and some major named establishments. At the Tuscan get an inside room away from the noise-you are close to cable car line, liquor store, drug store,etc as you are at the Villa Florence, but cabs can drop you off at the front door at the Tucan. Get a multi day trolley pass.You will burn up carbs on walking allllll the hills.

But, again our opinion. If you have never been to SFO do go to Alcatraz island, take a coat and hat, it's always cool.(temperature) People will flame us but there are thousands of great places to have a meal or snack. Try Pot Sticker at 150 Waverly Place kinda hard to find but worth the extra two hundred feet you might have to walk and also,Kuleto's,:) and there is a great breafast place wait in line on Powell street, somebody please supply the name-the waflles and pancakes are great.

Have a great weekend, Monday's always follow.......

Bruton Branch :)

Cruzadict-Marilyn,,

Everyone has an opinion, but we do not book our hotel thru the cruise line as you will generally be paying double. We have stayed in the Tuscan Inn,Villa Florence and some major named establishments. At the Tuscan get an inside room away from the noise-you are close to cable car line, liquor store, drug store,etc as you are at the Villa Florence, but cabs can drop you off at the front door at the Tucan. Get a multi day trolley pass.You will burn up carbs on walking allllll the hills.

But, again our opinion. If you have never been to SFO do go to Alcatraz island, take a coat and hat, it's always cool.(temperature) People will flame us but there are thousands of great places to have a meal or snack. Try Pot Sticker at 150 Waverly Place kinda hard to find but worth the extra two hundred feet you might have to walk and also,Kuleto's,:) and there is a great breafast place wait in line on Powell street, somebody please supply the name-the waflles and pancakes are great.

Have a great weekend, Monday's always follow.......

Bruton Branch :)

We live about 30 min. from San Francisco, and love Kuleto's! Great place for dinner before the theater, and so near Union Sq. I'm trying to remember the name of the breakfast place...was it Sear's? That's been around for many years, and is a favorite of locals.

S.F. has a tendancy to be foggy in the summer months, but Spring and Fall can be gorgeous.

We cruised out of S.F. in April, and we had one of those picture-perfect days. Mid 70's, and crystal clear. The skyline was breathtaking. There's nothing like sailing under the Golden Gate...

Hi Bruton Branch

We are doing exactly the same cruise this April (28th) and have cabin 9201. Someone mentioned on these boards that this cabin could be noisy because of the FV cabin next door and children running along the corridor. Did you have any problems. I was excited at being able to book one of the aft cabins until this was mentioned and was actually thinking of upgrading to a Sky suite. Would appreciate your thoughts and also any help and advise you could give on this cruise. We have done 20 plus cruises but this will be first time to Alaska.

Thanks in advance Marilyn

We have been in several aft cabins on the M class ships (including one next to yours) and have never had any problem with noise. On the top floor sometimes in the afternoon you can hear chairs moving from upstairs but at least for us it was not bothersome. There haven't been many children in our cruises and we have never had any problem with children running, etc. We have been on a sky suite as well. We would not trade our aft cabins ever for a sky suite. Hope this helps.:)

We had aft cabin 8172 on Infinity's repo from Vancouver - Alaska - San Francisco in September. We loved it, just as we loved the aft for our Millennium transatlantic in March.

You will only have noise - maybe - from kids if you're going during high season (summer vacation), not for either of the repo cruises at the beginning or end of Alaska season (April or Sept.). There is no other hallway noise that far back on the ship -- nobody takes that long walk back there unless their cabin is there.

If you can get an aft CC cabin - or better yet, an FV - grab it before someone else does!

BTW, at Hubbard the captain (and if it's Infinity's great one even more so) will make at least one full turn of the ship. In Sept. we stayed a long time with the aft of the ship towards the glacier and were able to enjoy the view from the relative dryness of our balcony -- even with the rain and sleet. Great CC cabin golf umbrellas!

Archived