What's the most pictures you've taken on a cruise/holiday

newfarmers

Morning all

Just decided to see how many pics we have saved on the laptop from our recent holiday. We downloaded them each night from each of our cameras so we had clean SD cards for the next day. Al's camera also takes good quality mpeg4 videos. We tried to delete the really terrible/blurry/'what the' photos as we went along.

Our total?

296 videos (from 5 seconds to five minutes) and ....drum roll.... 4909 pictures. Still a lot of culling to do but thinking about the duds we've already deleted, must have been close to 5500 maybe. Eeks. I'm amazed we actually saw anything other than the screens of our cameras.

I can just see it now, "Want to come over and see our photos? We've made the spare room up because this is gunna take the whole weekend." :D

See how fast they run!

I will start by saying that I have 2 hobbies - building and flying radio control Airplanes and Photography. I take photos of our cruises and our grandkids and I also am the Chairman of the Photography committee for the Indianapolis where I will take approximately 5,000 images during the 3 days show. I switched from film to digital about 6 years ago and now have a Canon 40D with several different lenses from 10mm for the in-cabin wide angle shots to 300mm for those far away shots (with the crop factor on the 40D the 300mm lens is the equivalent of a 480mm for a film 35mm camera). I have several memory cards and shoot in hi-res jpg most of the time but will shoot RAW if the conditions are tough and I really want to make sure I got the shot. I download to an Epson portable hard drive/viewer that will hold 80GB each evening. When we did our 2 Alaska cruises I shot 25 rolls of film (36 prints each) or about 900 photos from each cruise. Now that I am digital and the "1" and "0" are basically free I take lots - my DW says way too many - she calls me "flash". On our repositioning cruise this past spring which was 20 days and went throught the Panama Canal I took about 12,000 images. Going through the canal I took about 1700 alone. I arrange them by day/port on my computer and then as time allows delete the bad ones and duplicates. I then use a program called ProShow Gold and turn them into a video slide show with music. There is one show for each port and one for the around the ship shots. These are burned onto a DVD and can then be shown on a TV using any DVD player. In Nov of 08 we are doing a 26 day cruise on the Prinsendam which will spend 7 days up the Amazon River - I anticipate that I will probably break my 12,000 image record on that cruise. If you go to the photo section of Cruise Critc and search on Panama Canal you can see a few of my photos.:)

I will start by saying that I have 2 hobbies - building and flying radio control Airplanes and Photography. I take photos of our cruises and our grandkids and I also am the Chairman of the Photography committee for the Indianapolis where I will take approximately 5,000 images during the 3 days show. I switched from film to digital about 6 years ago and now have a Canon 40D with several different lenses from 10mm for the in-cabin wide angle shots to 300mm for those far away shots (with the crop factor on the 40D the 300mm lens is the equivalent of a 480mm for a film 35mm camera). I have several memory cards and shoot in hi-res jpg most of the time but will shoot RAW if the conditions are tough and I really want to make sure I got the shot. I download to an Epson portable hard drive/viewer that will hold 80GB each evening. When we did our 2 Alaska cruises I shot 25 rolls of film (36 prints each) or about 900 photos from each cruise. Now that I am digital and the "1" and "0" are basically free I take lots - my DW says way too many - she calls me "flash". On our repositioning cruise this past spring which was 20 days and went throught the Panama Canal I took about 12,000 images. Going through the canal I took about 1700 alone. I arrange them by day/port on my computer and then as time allows delete the bad ones and duplicates. I then use a program called ProShow Gold and turn them into a video slide show with music. There is one show for each port and one for the around the ship shots. These are burned onto a DVD and can then be shown on a TV using any DVD player. In Nov of 08 we are doing a 26 day cruise on the Prinsendam which will spend 7 days up the Amazon River - I anticipate that I will probably break my 12,000 image record on that cruise. If you go to the photo section of Cruise Critc and search on Panama Canal you can see a few of my photos.:)

All I can say is wow!

About 600 from 12 day B Isles cruise this summer. I only make a traditional 4x6 photo album that has space next to each picture I use for place, date taken, Name/age of bldg or bridge, architect, etc. I tuck a few extra shots of a site behind the best picture in the that photo sleeve. Friends, family can leaf thru as they please ( or not)with little commentary from me.

I enjoy just looking at parts of it from time to time with no fuss of a slide show or DVD player. I keep it next to my reading chair.

I'll be able to take it easily "to the home" someday where I might not have access to a computer....or remember how to use one!. But I'll be able to hold it in my lap in the rocker & flip the pages!

:rolleyes:

Martha

P.S. I'm told my photography is really quite good. I fear, however, that if I get too caught up in they many picture I COULD take, I'd end up seeing everything only thru the tiny lens of a camera and miss the bigger "picture" and "feel" of a place.

We shot over 2000 on our Rotterdam Ancient Wonders a year ago. I'm still overwhelmed and haven't done anything with them.

Last trip we shot a lot less and I still haven't edited them.

Love to take them and love to have a finished product. It's the in between times when I actually have to make decisions:confused:.

Procrastinators unite!

My record photo count was on my 2004 Panama Canal cruise aboard the ms Zaandam. On that cruise, between two cameras, I took 3498 photos over 21 days, with another 43 short video clips. I also shot some video on that cruise ... six 30 minute tapes worth ... but I've never done much with it.

The very best of those 3498 photos can be found, processed for viewing on the internet, in my photo web-galleries linked bellow.

iflyrc5, Have you ever considering offering any of these for sale? I bought a DVD of "Baltic Treasures 2006" done by John Lawrence, who I believe was the cruise director at the time. He sold it independently, I think, not through HAL. I ordered it through his web site. Don't remember whether it was available on the cruise. He provided commentary, but I bought it primarily for the photography. as am a better reader than listener.

Just a thought, since DVDs are apparently inexpensive to produce. Would think the Panama Canal would be a good bet, since I understand photo op conditions aren't always ideal. And obviously you have a plethora from which to choose.

I thought that I was a shutterholic, but I'm not even in the picture.

1957 on an Africian safari ( but I did edit out every eve the non keepers), and the most on a cruise 758 on the Regal Princess Panama canal ( 12 day ), second most on a cruise was 707 on Crystal Serenity Venice to Monte Carlo.

In the non digital age, 350 on a HAL alaska cruise/tour.

Least was last year on the Zuiderdam, took only 56, as I been to all of the ports before, only took photo's of friends new and old.

Martini Cruiser

I've been an avid photographer for the past 7 years, and a casual snapshooter for the 23 years before that. In my casual shooting days with my film SLR, I typically would shoot 4-5 rolls of 36exp on a 10-day cruise, maybe 3-4 rolls on a 7-day. I don't think I ever exceeded 200 shots on any trip.

As I entered the digital age, the freedom to take more pictures without a financial penalty, and the instant gratification of seeing the result on screen before printing, made me become more of an enthusiast...learning more about how to really use and understand cameras and looking more at subject and composition.

Of course, that means I usually take more photos than the film days, but I must admit I still don't take full advantage of digital cameras. The ability to shoot 5, 10, or 15 photos of the same subject from different angles or different lighting, or just firing away in burst mode, is something that most people consider a wonderful benefit with digital - you can find the one or two photos that came out best, and delete the rest. But I tend to still be a one-shot-per-subject person, or at least one shot per composition. So I still usually try to take the time to get all of the parameters of the shot right the first time, then shoot one or two at most. I'm not bragging about it either - I'd probably be smarter to shoot a few more because I have gotten home and looked at some photos at full res on my big computer monitor and realized that there was a flaw in the shot. But I just can't easily kick old habits!!

Anyway, my typical 7-day cruise to locations I've never been might mean 400 photos, and closer to 300-350 when the itinerary is something more familiar. On 10-day cruises, I've shot a maximum of around 550 shots on my southern Caribbean cruise a few years ago, which visited 4 places I'd never been to, and one other I hadn't seen for many years. The cruise I took last week to the eastern Caribbean netted a little under 300 shots, on the Zuiderdam. Of those, I usually distill my online gallery down to about 80-100 to upload.

Including photography expeditions, events, wildlife excursions, etc...I think the most photographs I ever took for any one singular trip or event was around 700. Given the nightmare it is to sort, crop, resize, edit, and/or print through a stack of 300 photos, I couldn't imagine shooting thousands!

Archived