Credit Card Pre-Registration Question....

ore-ee-gun

I was working on my on-line registration, and came to the part where they ask to pre-register my cc to activate my onboard account. Considering that HAL's website seems chronically plagued by glitches, I'm slightly reluctant to register my card online. However, there doesn't seem to be an option to not do so, other than select the "cash onboard" option. Has anybody tried doing that, then registering their card at check-in? Thanks for your time!

You can do that. I don't believe they check the credit card until you check in and they run it through the reader. You can simply turn in the authorization form you get with your cruise docs and that should take care of it.

BTW, I've never had any problem from providing my credit card number on a cruise line website.

ore-ee-gun, my family and I chose the cash onboard option when we did the online forms and then gave the credit card information at check in and had no problems at all last September. I doubt it slowed us down much in boarding either as we were in our cabins 20 minutes after stepping off the bus at Canada Place. I think this is a fairly common practice as many people are still not comfortable with giving credit card information over the internet.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise. Debbie

Considering that HAL's website seems chronically plagued by glitches, I'm slightly reluctant to register my card online. However, there doesn't seem to be an option to not do so, other than select the "cash onboard" option. Has anybody tried doing that, then registering their card at check-in? Thanks for your time!

Yes. You can do so at pier-side check in, or even later after you've boarded. I selected the "Cash Onboard" option for my cruse on the Volendam this month. When I got aboard and went to the front desk (I passed by three times during the afternoon until I managed to find a time with no wait) I told them I had changed my mind and wanted to register a card. They said "no problem" and took and registered my card.

Regarding online check in and pier check in ... not everybody has access to the internet, and so they still go through the full check-in process at the pier. It will probably be a long time before they do away with that completely.

Although your question has been answered so capably already, I thought I would chime in as well.

We also had clicked on the cash onboard option. But the agent at embarkation asked for our credit card as a matter of course.

I also had wondered if it would be a big deal. It sure wasn't!

Last time I sailed HAL my credit card was charged at the time I preordered shore excursions.

How do they handle that if you don't provide a CC number online?

BTW - I much prefer the charge at the time you reserve rather than some other cruise lines that don't charge until after boarding. The latter inspires too many folks to take up available spaces only because they might want to take the tour(s).

Even though HAL credits back if you cancel, there's at least enough commitment to minimize faux bookings.

Last time I sailed HAL my credit card was charged at the time I preordered shore excursions.

How do they handle that if you don't provide a CC number online?

:confused: If you don't provide a valid credit card number when you book your shore excursions you don't complete the transactions.

No soup for you! :D

That's not the same as not giving a credit card number when completing the Immigration/check-in form. Since that one doesn't have to be done on-line there's no penalty for not providing one---only for not making suitable arrangements at the Front Desk instead.

Archived