why can't HAL honor your table size request

m steve

I like to call a spade a spade --not a shovel, a trowel, a teaspoon, a plowshare nor a sword.

SOOOO -- now I'm a glutton, a boor AND politically incorrect!

But we have a hell of a lot of fun in the dining room with our tablemates, whoever they may be ...

C'mon and join me, friends, and we will have a bit of a laugh at the non-social ones huddled over in the corner at their two top, and all feel superior.

;) ;)

OK, since we're now in pc world:

What do you call cheese that isn't yours?

Nacho cheese

What do you call Santa's helpers?

Subordinate Clauses

What do you call four bullfighters in quicksand?

Quatro sinko

RuthC,

In theory you are correct. Always better to have the tables welded to the deck for safety.

Phillip, it didn't feel like "theory" when the Rotterdam got hit by "the wave" back in '03. We were at 2nd sitting dinner when it hit and people were dumped over. The floor was littered with shattered ice cubes and glassware (couldn't tell which was which), as well as dishes and silverware. Would the tables have turned had they not been bolted down? I'm glad I didn't find out.

It was one heck of a good storm. ;)

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

of

:) HOW TO GET ALONG WITH PEOPLE :)

1. Keep skid chains on your tongue. Always say less than you think. Cultivate a low, persuasive voice. How you say it often counts more than what you say.
  2. Make promises sparingly and keep them faithfully, no matter what the cost.
  3. Never let an opportunity pass to say a kind and encouraging word to or about somebody. Praise good work, regardless of who did it. If criticism is needed, offer it gently, never harshly.
  4. Be interested in others---their pursuits, their work, their homes and families. Make merry with those who rejoice, and weep with those who mourn. Let everyone you meet, however humble, feel that you regard him or her as a person of importance.
  5. Don’t burden or depress those around you by dwelling on your minor aches and pains and small disappointments. Remember, everyone is carrying some kind of burden, often heavier than your own.
  6. Keep an open mind. Discuss, but don’t argue. It is the mark of a superior mind to be able to disagree without being disagreeable.
  7. Let your virtues, if you have any, speak for themselves. Refuse to talk of other’s vices. Discourage gossip. It is a waste of valuable time, and can be extremely destructive.
  8. Be careful of another’s feelings. Wit and humor at another person’s expense may do more damage than you will ever know.
  9. Pay no attention to disparaging remarks. Remember, the person who carried the message may not be the most accurate reporter in the world, and things become twisted in the retelling. Live so that nobody will believe them.
  10. Don’t be too eager to get the credit due you. Do your best, and be patient. Forget about yourself, and let others “remember”. Success is much sweeter that way.

...I don't play well with others (like the gluttons who order two and three of an appetizer or several main courses) or loud and poorly dressed people.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

of

:) HOW TO GET ALONG WITH PEOPLE :)

1. Keep skid chains on your tongue. Always say less than you think. Cultivate a low, persuasive voice. How you say it often counts more than what you say.
  2. Make promises sparingly and keep them faithfully, no matter what the cost.
  3. Never let an opportunity pass to say a kind and encouraging word to or about somebody. Praise good work, regardless of who did it. If criticism is needed, offer it gently, never harshly.
  4. Be interested in others---their pursuits, their work, their homes and families. Make merry with those who rejoice, and weep with those who mourn. Let everyone you meet, however humble, feel that you regard him or her as a person of importance.
  5. Don’t burden or depress those around you by dwelling on your minor aches and pains and small disappointments. Remember, everyone is carrying some kind of burden, often heavier than your own.
  6. Keep an open mind. Discuss, but don’t argue. It is the mark of a superior mind to be able to disagree without being disagreeable.
  7. Let your virtues, if you have any, speak for themselves. Refuse to talk of other’s vices. Discourage gossip. It is a waste of valuable time, and can be extremely destructive.
  8. Be careful of another’s feelings. Wit and humor at another person’s expense may do more damage than you will ever know.
  9. Pay no attention to disparaging remarks. Remember, the person who carried the message may not be the most accurate reporter in the world, and things become twisted in the retelling. Live so that nobody will believe them.
  10. Don’t be too eager to get the credit due you. Do your best, and be patient. Forget about yourself, and let others “remember”. Success is much sweeter that way.

Thank Youclap1.gif

Why would you not want to meet new people on a cruie! That's one of the reasons we cruise.

For me, the larger the table, the better. Everyone has so many interesting things to talk about. We tried anytime dining on Princess and didn't care for it. We'll stay with Traditional and enjoy having the same staff.

I guess that if I want to be guaranteed a table for 2, I would need to make a reservation for Pinnicle or plan on a Lido dinner.

These are changing times for both cruisers and cruiselines. In years past, before specialty restaurants, evening buffet service, and extensive room service, everyone ate in the dining room. If you were assigned to a table for 6 or 8, you could be sure there would be that many people at the table every meal. Most people seemed to enjoy the dining experience then....and I do believe it was a more special event than it is today.

Now it's a whole different ball game. On one of our Celebrity cruises, we were assigned to a table for 6, and with the exception of one evening when two other people showed, we ate alone for the whole week. On our last Princess cruise, we were seated at a table for 6, but only two other people came to dinner. About the middle of the cruise, they asked another couple to join us who were seated at a table for 6 and were eating alone.

Many people do not eat in the dining room these days. They don't like formal nights or they don't like the time they were assigned. They eat at the Lido, they eat in their cabins or on their verandas, or they eat at the specialty restaurants. Every evening in the dining room there are many seats vacant for many different reasons. It is not uncommon to see a table for 8 with only two or three people present.

The challenge for the cruiselines is to determine which people DO want to eat in the dining room on a regular basis and to figure out how to best accommodate as many people as possible. I'm sure that's why HAL is experimenting with the flexible dining programs.

Even on HAL.....one of the most traditional cruiselines out there.....the dining room is a real challenge.

Now it's a whole different ball game. On one of our Celebrity cruises, we were assigned to a table for 6, and with the exception of one evening when two other people showed, we ate alone for the whole week. On our last Princess cruise, we were seated at a table for 6, but only two other people came to dinner. About the middle of the cruise, they asked another couple to join us who were seated at a table for 6 and were eating alone.

We had a similar situation back in 2001. We had always requested a large table at main sitting - we wanted to meet people. The first night we had a full table, but the elderly couple decided it was too cold & another couple decided it was too late. That left us with 2 women travelling together as friends. One of them found a crewmember she liked, so then that left John & me with one single lady at that big 8-top. :eek: It was kind of comical. Once or twice the art auction couple joined us, but they were odd ducks.

But now our resos are linked to friends so that we can all dine together. We hope, in this new age of AYWD. :rolleyes:

Why would you not want to meet new people on a cruie! That's one of the reasons we cruise.

For me, the larger the table, the better.

That's the reason I cruise too ... but then you have to understand that for some people a cruise, or any vacation for that matter, is a chance to "reconnect" and spend time with a special someone. Maybe it's your spouse, and with the hectic daily lives you both have, it might be the one chance in the entire year that you both have to spend some "just us" time. For people like that, the idea of a large table, and meeting others, holds absolutely no allure. And I understand that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We always book suites.

We always book months in advance.

About 2 years ago we were on a cruise and did not get the table that we requested. We had booked that cruise 16 months in advance.

LOL ... quite frankly, if I had booked the cruise 16 months in advance, and was staying in a luxury suite, I would have SURELY gotten my dining preference. I would have made sure of it (assuming it was important to me) by taking my grievance up to the hotel manager if I had to. There's no reason that booking so far out, and having a luxury suite (which supposedly comes with priority for dining requests) should have resulted in you getting anything other than your preference.

Just my opinion ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

For me, the larger the table, the better. Everyone has so many interesting things to talk about. We tried anytime dining on Princess and didn't care for it. We'll stay with Traditional and enjoy having the same staff.

I guess that if I want to be guaranteed a table for 2, I would need to make a reservation for Pinnicle or plan on a Lido dinner.

I agree with you. We look forward to meeting others on cruises. We use to request table for eight or more, but found that lively discussion was impossible due to the distance across the table. Consequently, we in last year or so started requesting table for six which seems ideal for meeting and socializing. Sometimes, maitre d's who know us would ask if a person could be added to our table as they were by themselves and the maitre knew we would appreciate this new person. So ... I suppose we have different flavors for differing tastes, and our tastes include enjoying cruising with others at table.

harry

That's the reason I cruise too ... but then you have to understand that for some people a cruise, or any vacation for that matter, is a chance to "reconnect" and spend time with a special someone. Maybe it's your spouse, and with the hectic daily lives you both have, it might be the one chance in the entire year that you both have to spend some "just us" time. For people like that, the idea of a large table, and meeting others, holds absolutely no allure. And I understand that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We enjoy meeting people on cruises also. We meet them on shore excursions, in the lounges, at daily activities, etc. Some we'll spend even more time with - even scheduling a meal together on occasion. But our dinners are for us alone - a place we can wind down, share thoughts on our day's experiences and talk (or not) as the mood strikes us. While sharing a table with the same folks for a week or two could be interesting, it usually isn't. And sharing with different people every night (as in "as you wish" dining) is, well, boring. The same round of "where are you from?" "what do you do?" "have you cruised this ship/line/itinerary before?" "can we all say grace?" "did you hear the one about the farmer's daughter?" and, of course, "here's a few pictures of my children/grandchildren/dog/cat"! :)

We enjoy meeting people on cruises also. We meet them on shore excursions, in the lounges, at daily activities, etc. Some we'll spend even more time with - even scheduling a meal together on occasion. But our dinners are for us alone - a place we can wind down, share thoughts on our day's experiences and talk (or not) as the mood strikes us.

We feel exactly the same way, Dave. We enjoy meeting people too, but we prefer to have our meals together, alone. We like having that time to reconnect and relax.

There may also be those times when couples or families have just gone through a hard time (a death in the family, serious illness etc.) when it's just easier to be alone and talk privately. Small talk may be difficult then. ;)

It is my understanding that the earlier you request the table for two - the more likely you will get one. The main office will e-mail the ship with the requests, in order of YOUR (or your TA's) request and they are filled in that order.

Tom

For the first time in 20+ cruises our request for a table for 2 was not honored. This was on the Westerdam, just got off the ship today. We were told they were given to those that book far out. Well, we booked this cruise over a year ago!!! I told him that and it still did not work. Other lines we have been on they will even make new tables to accomodate requests!!!

For the first time in 20+ cruises our request for a table for 2 was not honored. This was on the Westerdam, just got off the ship today. We were told they were given to those that book far out. Well, we booked this cruise over a year ago!!! I told him that and it still did not work. Other lines we have been on they will even make new tables to accomodate requests!!!

So, what did they do? did they put you at a table for 4, 6, 8?

So, what did they do? did they put you at a table for 4, 6, 8?

Sorry I should have finished the story. They put us at a table for 4, let me say we are not anti-social we just prefer to eat by ourselves, we talk to lots of people around the ship - We never ate in the dining room. First cruise ever, also that we ate strictly at the Lido. It was very nice there. Tablecloths at night. Good service. PS I guess our run of good luck getting those tables for 2 had to end sometime. I have read about lots of people that always request them and never seem to get them. I never responded to them for fear of "jinxing myself"!!! Guess the streak is over

We were told they were given to those that book far out. Well, we booked this cruise over a year ago!!! I told him that and it still did not work.
We've seen this sort of thing a lot in a lot of quarters: Folks are learning all the tricks online, or through travel books, so more and more people know how to get all the advantages, which means the competition for each advantage will become more and more fierce. If it took you booking five months in advance in the past, it may take booking ten months in advance now, and it may take fourteen months in advance in a few years.

One of the most remarkable examples I've seen of this is booking a three bedroom timeshare unit at Walt Disney World's BoardWalk Villas. In recent years people had to call up eleven months prior to the end of your vacation to make such a reservation. Then, it became a matter of calling up every single day to add one day at a time to your reservation. Then, it became a matter of dialing the telephone at the exact right second to be one of the lucky few to get through first, because a minute or two later, that option is gone. Imagine doing that successfully six days in a row and then having your dream of a great week-long vacation dashed because you mis-dialed the telephone on the seventh day of calling at 8am. :eek:

The more people learn about how to get advantages, the more difficult it will become for even those who know the tricks to get those advantages.

We enjoy meeting people on cruises also. We meet them on shore excursions, in the lounges, at daily activities, etc. Some we'll spend even more time with - even scheduling a meal together on occasion. But our dinners are for us alone - a place we can wind down, share thoughts on our day's experiences and talk (or not) as the mood strikes us. While sharing a table with the same folks for a week or two could be interesting, it usually isn't. And sharing with different people every night (as in "as you wish" dining) is, well, boring. The same round of "where are you from?" "what do you do?" "have you cruised this ship/line/itinerary before?" "can we all say grace?" "did you hear the one about the farmer's daughter?" and, of course, "here's a few pictures of my children/grandchildren/dog/cat"! :)

Exactly!!!!

If we can't get our requested table for two on our upcoming Westerdam cruise, we will not eat in the dining room...end of story. Dining with strangers is not an option for us.

Unfortunately, Westerdam will not have the AYW option in place when we sail. This is our first cruise (after 20+ on other lnes) on HAL and I am so hoping we find the cruise wonderful so we have another option. If not, I am sure that my hisband will only agree to Princess for future cruises.

My husband and I both make small talk with strangers on a daily basis in our jobs....that's part of our work, and not what we want on vacation. Unlike many other long time married couples (40+ years here,) we still like each other and have lots to talk about with just each other. We don't need the conversation of strangers to have a good time.

Table for two, or alternate dining....

Judy

We have never had a problem on ANY line getting a table for 2, or when traveling with others a table of the size we needed.

We do book early and book suites but I honestly do not think this has that much bearing on our requests. (And we do traditional dining on HAL).

What I do think that helps is we use a very reputable, local cruise only travel agent which we have dealt with for years.

I think many of the new cut rate agencies do not take the time to really try and see that your requests are honored with the line you are sailing on.

Barbara

On the Noordam a few months ago, they had just started AYWD. When the Dining Mgr asked about our table preference, we always said we didn't care. We generally welcomed the opportunity to meet and speak with others. One or two nights we did get a table for two. One night we sat a table with someone who I gone to junior high school with 1n 1958! We hadn't seen one another in almost 50 years. What a great evening! I wouldn't have missed it for the anything. You never know who you will meet.

Archived