Eurodam size worries me

PalmBeachMom

That's an improvement.

I remember on Oosterdam (you were there ...) the constant droning of the "bingo princess" .... too bad I didn't go to that office, and insert that mike up her nostril. :D

LOL ... yes, I remember that. It was pretty bad on the Oosterdam that cruise. And, I've heard it as bad on other ships. But, it wasn't that bad on the Volendam last month. I hope it won't be bad on the Rotterdam next month. :D

Frankly, I hated doing laundry on our first cruise (Rotterdam), and will never do it again. I had to hoard quarters and spend precious sea-gazing time in the crowded laundry room, with nary a male in sight while we womenfolk had to wash our mens' endless laundry loads. Using the ships' laundry-by-the-bag services is the way to spend one's vacation. I supplemented by washing out my own delicates a couple of times and hanging them on the clothesline over the tub. Meanwhile, DH's laundry came back in perfect order, better than I can manage. Maybe a family would benefit from a laundry, but not the poor mother who thought she was going to relax for a change.

Mrs Muir

I, too, am not worried that the size of the E-dam will make it seem like something other than a HAL ship.

I am not fond of the size of the Vista's, but have happily sailed the Noordam twice---with a third to be booked soon, and an E-dam coming up in July. The Noordam truly felt like a HAL ship in every way. It has a quiet beauty, the fresh flowers and artwork I'm used to. And, most important, that fabulous HAL crew.

I expect the E-dam will be very similar. :)

I am not fond of the size of the Vista's, but have happily sailed the Noordam twice---with a third to be booked soon, and an E-dam coming up in July. The Noordam truly felt like a HAL ship in every way. It has a quiet beauty, the fresh flowers and artwork I'm used to. And, most important, that fabulous HAL crew.

I expect the E-dam will be very similar. :)

Ditto, Ruth! Ditto! I've been on all the Vistas but the Zuiderdam; I've been aboard the Noordam twice. I found her to feel like a HAL ship ... more so, indeed, than the other Vistas I've been aboard. And, I agree ... the Eurodam will feel so too, I suppose. I'm a bit concerned about the staff-to-passenger ratio, but I'm more than willing to wait and see. The Noordam didn't disappoint me.

It was explained to me that the constant problems with breakdowns, insufficient machines, etc etc led HAL to not have them on the Vista ships. My guess is that the thinking is that when you are on a 7 day cruise, you won't spend time in the laundy. Of course the ship provides a full laundry service for your convenience.

What I always try to do is have everything returned 'hanging'. At the cruise winds down, have everything returned 'folded'. Cuts packing time in half!

I know this answer won't help and the excuse does seem a bit feeble but I guess we are stuck with it.

Stephen

Yep, I remember hearing about the Vistas doing 7-day Caribbean cruises. Thus, NO need for the passenger laundry. Yeah, right. Look at who is sailing Europe in 2009. To me, HAL has LIED. Longer cruises with luggage weight restrictions.

We are booked on the E'dam's Inaugural. While we are excited about the fellow CC passengers and itinerary, I am SO not looking forward to the ship itself.

DH has mobility issues. The E'dam IS too big for him. We use the ships laundry for most things, but for anything that is spilled upon, I want to wash it myself to make SURE that spot is gone before it goes in the dryer. Also at home I'll throw my 'delicates' in the washer, but air dry. Now, I'll get the 'joy' of doing hand washing while on vacation. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I really don't see us doing another cruise on the E'dam. We've never sailed a Vista and have NO plans to ever do so. We've passed on the 'Good Nuts' cruise just because of it being on the Noordam.

Yep, I remember hearing about the Vistas doing 7-day Caribbean cruises. Thus, NO need for the passenger laundry. Yeah, right. Look at who is sailing Europe in 2009. To me, HAL has LIED. Longer cruises with luggage weight restrictions.

We are booked on the E'dam's Inaugural. While we are excited about the fellow CC passengers and itinerary, I am SO not looking forward to the ship itself.

DH has mobility issues. The E'dam IS too big for him. We use the ships laundry for most things, but for anything that is spilled upon, I want to wash it myself to make SURE that spot is gone before it goes in the dryer. Also at home I'll throw my 'delicates' in the washer, but air dry. Now, I'll get the 'joy' of doing hand washing while on vacation. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I really don't see us doing another cruise on the E'dam. We've never sailed a Vista and have NO plans to ever do so. We've passed on the 'Good Nuts' cruise just because of it being on the Noordam.

Mary Ellen, I understand your point-of-view and your concerns. I also don't like having to send off clothing with spills for the ship to clean, and I much prefer doing my underwear myself. I also used to think that I wouldn't sail on a ship the size of a Vista. However, I eventually did and I enjoyed it. Yes, the ship is a little larger than I would like. However, the style of the ship is nice and the crews have been wonderful. Also, I have found that the ship's laundry has invariably done a good job on my laundry when I've sent it off to have the crew do it. I'm not going to encourage you to sail on a Vista; I'm only going to suggest that you may find yourself surprised at actually liking the Eurodam. My principle reasons for cruising on her are the people and the event -- however, I also expect that I will like her.

That the lack of self serve laundry is attributed by some, to the Vista Class ships primarily doing 7 day cruises, is probably nothing more than some folk, rationalizing what was a business decision.

I am sorry that the lack of laundry and the size of the Eurodam cause you to not look forward to the inaugrual cruise. You can bring unlimited luggage with you, provided you are willing to pay the air carrier for the extra weight/baggage or perhaps, bite the bullet and sit back and enjoy the "laundry by the bag" service, provided onboard. It's a fabulous intinerary and I am certain the company of fellow CCer's will more than compensate for all the dirty laundry. :)

If you like the Vista class ships, I don't think a hundred more passengers are going to make a big difference. Now NCL is planning a new mega-ship with over 4,000 passengers, almost double their current Jewel class ships. Now that's too big for me.

You can bring unlimited luggage with you, provided you are willing to pay the air carrier for the extra weight/baggage or perhaps, bite the bullet and sit back and enjoy the "laundry by the bag" service, provided onboard. It's a fabulous intinerary and I am certain the company of fellow CCer's will more than compensate for all the dirty laundry. :)
We DO get the 'unlimited' laundry. You must have missed:
We use the ships laundry for most things, but for anything that is spilled upon, I want to wash it myself to make SURE that spot is gone before it goes in the dryer.
HAL does do a wonderful job with the items we do send out. I am paying more by doing a load or two on my own. I look at passenger laundry as I look at life boats - I don't always expect to use them (only on longer cruises), but they had better be there if needed. On board the E'dam for 23 days, I will be stuck doing hand laundry on vacation (I don't have that many 'delicates' ;) ).

And the only reasons we are 'making do' with the E'dam - the fabulous itinerary and delightful CC'ers we'll be cruising with. I hope to be amazed by the ship, but I'd be happy if HAL built their new ships that suited our needs better. I do like that HAL is finally waking up and having showers in some outside cabins, but on their new builds they are mainly in crappy locations - not ones that we book. It looks like the Prinsendam is more to our needs.

Personally, I would never do laundry on vacation. I also really like HALs laundry service.

I just booked the Eurodam for my birthday in 2009 and am looking forward to it. The additional dining venue(s) are a big plus for us and I imagine that more thought has been designed into the ship for AYW which is what we choose these days.

I also like the more contemporary look of the staterooms. As long as they don't change the corner SBs and SCs, I will be content:).

Unfortunately, just about every new-build will be bigger than the last, higher capacity, more crowded (and without any laundramats). Every available space will be used to produce revenue, and lots of it. These cruise factories will provide 24 hour selling fests to massive passenger manifests. If cruisers are willing to put up with massive crowded ships, the size and capacity will continue to grow exponentially. Consider the implications for cruising 10 years from now...ships with 10,000 passengers visiting ports like Saint Thomas with 150,000 new cruisers enveloping the town for 10 hours every day. IMHO the prospect is not "relaxing", or "getting-away-from-it-all". This disgusting prospect is not as far-fetched as some may think. Many cruise lines continue to advertise "bigger is better" without limit. If it's over 4,100 passengers for 2008, 10,000 passengers in 2018 is not really out of the question.

[quote name='PRINSENDAM']

In short.... they were a nuisance!:eek:

It was explained to me that the constant problems with breakdowns, insufficient machines, etc etc led HAL to not have them on the Vista ships. My guess is that the thinking is that when you are on a 7 day cruise, you won't spend time in the laundy. Of course the ship provides a full laundry service for your convenience.

What I always try to do is have everything returned 'hanging'. At the cruise winds down, have everything returned 'folded'. Cuts packing time in half!

I know this answer won't help and the excuse does seem a bit feeble but I guess we are stuck with it.

Stephen[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="4"]I have been told the same thing - and that the breakdowns were directly attributable to passengers misusing the machines/putting the wrong type of soap in, etc.

The increase in passenger capacity is relatively negligible.

I'm of the same mind about shipboard laundry: Nothing better than arriving home with luggage full of clean clothing and not having to do laundry for a couple more weeks after returning home.
:)
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived