Eurodam size worries me

PalmBeachMom

One of our favorite ships was the Coral Princess and it is slightly larger than the Eurodam. Our feeling is that the Eurodam will have a similar (although newer) feel and suit us well. It will be our first experience with HAL so it should be interesting.

it's how well the staff conducts the activites such as boarding, disembaration and service in dining room, room service and seating for the shows. Bigger can be better or worse.I like bigger cabins and balconies. I also like the more intimate dining areas and lounges.

It's big enough for a passenger laundry ... but no go. HAL dropped these starting with the Vista class ships.

That's the only downside of the Vista's. :o I like being able to launder our clothes the way I want them laundered!

I really like the size of the vistas, a little bigger wouldn't bother me. My question is if the only increase really is another passenger deck as stated above, but not bigger then the vistas in other ways, that kinda concerns me. If it isn't any longer or wider or doesn't have another deck of public space then the vista then my understanding is that there will just be another deck full of passengers on a vista size ship...that worries me.

I must not be understanding correctly, I hope I am not.

There are tremendous economies of scale associated with larger ships for both the cruise line and passenger. Larger/newer ships have more balconies and suites and therefore they tend to be more affordable than those on older ships. Passengers want affordable balcony cabins and the newer ships deliver in a way not possible for the older ships to compete. Newer ships tend to be more reliable from a mechanical standpoint too.

Like you, I prefer the older and smaller ship experience and fortunately, we can all still have it.

While I much prefer the smaller ships (the R class ship is my favorite HAL vessel, followed by the S class), what concerns me the most about the Vista and the Signature ships isn't so much their size ... it's their passenger complement relative to the available public square-footage and crew size. The Noordam hosts 1918 passengers at double-occupancy. The Eurodam will host 2104 passengers at double occupancy! And, yet, both ships have only 800 crew members. That's a passenger/crew ratio of 2.63. By comparison, the R-class ships (the Volendam) hosts 1432 passengers and has a crew complement of of 647. That's a passenger/crew ratio of 2.21. In other words, the ratio is getting worse with the larger ships, which should equate to poorer service.

I have enjoyed, and will continue to enjoy, cruises aboard the Vistas. I'm sure my cruises aboard the Signature ship(s) will be wonderful too. However, I will always prefer the S and R ships.

That's the only downside of the Vista's. :o I like being able to launder our clothes the way I want them laundered!

Definitely a mistake on HAL's part to leave out a launderette. We tend not to use them -- but have done so in an emergency or near the last day at sea when we still going to be on a land-based vacation after the cruise.

Surely it's NOT a question of 'class' -- even the snooty CUNARD line has launderettes on board. We used them on the QM2 last year the day before we docked in New York. It was nice to arrive with all clean clothes for our New York stay.

The Eurodam is scheduled to make her first visit to Saint John, New Brunswick on September 4th. I am quite anxious to see her and plan to be sitting on Fort Howe Hill, overlooking the harbour, to watch her arrival. Should be quite exciting. After she docks we can take a drive by and get a close up look. We did the same for the Queen Mary 2's first visit and the fireboat spraying in the air made for some great pictures.

It's big enough for a passenger laundry ... but no go. HAL dropped these starting with the Vista class ships.[/quo

WHY?

In short.... they were a nuisance!:eek:

It was explained to me that the constant problems with breakdowns, insufficient machines, etc etc led HAL to not have them on the Vista ships. My guess is that the thinking is that when you are on a 7 day cruise, you won't spend time in the laundy. Of course the ship provides a full laundry service for your convenience.

What I always try to do is have everything returned 'hanging'. At the cruise winds down, have everything returned 'folded'. Cuts packing time in half!

I know this answer won't help and the excuse does seem a bit feeble but I guess we are stuck with it.

Stephen

... it's their passenger complement relative to the available public square-footage and crew size. The Noordam hosts 1918 passengers at double-occupancy. The Eurodam will host 2104 passengers at double occupancy! And, yet, both ships have only 800 crew members. That's a passenger/crew ratio of 2.63. By comparison, the R-class ships (the Volendam) hosts 1432 passengers and has a crew complement of of 647. That's a passenger/crew ratio of 2.21. In other words, the ratio is getting worse with the larger ships, which should equate to poorer service.

I hadn't thought of this. In my lurking on the Holland America web site, they even seem to be confused about how many crew will be on the ship. Under their "fleet" heading they list 800 crew, but under their Eurodam blog "stats" section they show 929 crew.

If they do cut crew numbers it strikes me the RevNeal is correct on decrease in service and would make me reconsider our fall '08 cruise on the Eurodam.

Tom

While I much prefer the smaller ships (the R class ship is my favorite HAL vessel, followed by the S class), what concerns me the most about the Vista and the Signature ships isn't so much their size ... it's their passenger complement relative to the available public square-footage and crew size. The Noordam hosts 1918 passengers at double-occupancy. The Eurodam will host 2104 passengers at double occupancy! And, yet, both ships have only 800 crew members. That's a passenger/crew ratio of 2.63. By comparison, the R-class ships (the Volendam) hosts 1432 passengers and has a crew complement of of 647. That's a passenger/crew ratio of 2.21. In other words, the ratio is getting worse with the larger ships, which should equate to poorer service.

I have enjoyed, and will continue to enjoy, cruises aboard the Vistas. I'm sure my cruises aboard the Signature ship(s) will be wonderful too. However, I will always prefer the S and R ships.

Rev., I guess you have a different source than mine; not to say yours is more or less accurate. Cruisedeckplans.com lists the Eurodam at 951 ft, 86,000 GRT and 2044 passengers dbl occupancy. They show the Vista Class as 951 ft, 85,000 GRT, and 1848 passengers dbl occupancy.

In short.... they were a nuisance!:eek:

It was explained to me that the constant problems with breakdowns, insufficient machines, etc etc led HAL to not have them on the Vista ships. My guess is that the thinking is that when you are on a 7 day cruise, you won't spend time in the laundy. Of course the ship provides a full laundry service for your convenience.

What I always try to do is have everything returned 'hanging'. At the cruise winds down, have everything returned 'folded'. Cuts packing time in half!

I know this answer won't help and the excuse does seem a bit feeble but I guess we are stuck with it.

Stephen

Bring this on every trip,it stows under my bed

wb01.jpg

Rev., I guess you have a different source than mine; not to say yours is more or less accurate. Cruisedeckplans.com lists the Eurodam at 951 ft, 86,000 GRT and 2044 passengers dbl occupancy. They show the Vista Class as 951 ft, 85,000 GRT, and 1848 passengers dbl occupancy.

My source is Holland America's Website. Also, there is a difference between the Vista class double occupancy figures and those for the Noordam. The Noordam can host more passengers in double occupancy than the other 3 Vistas (as originally configured). The 1848 figure is for the other 3 Vistas as originally configured (not as they are being re-configured).

As for the figures for the Eurodam ... again, those came straight from HAL's own website. The original press release states that the Signatures would host only 2044 passengers (see here); however, if one calls up the information on the Eurodam from her profile page under "Fleet" (see here) you'll find the updated figures which I used.

See HAL's "Fast Facts" sheet for the Vistas: http://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/media/factsheets/VistaClassShips_FastFact.pdf

A couple hundred more pax on board won't mean any big difference to me.

I'm more concerned about the annoying hourly bingo announcements, and amplified string quartet in the Explorers Lounge. :rolleyes:

I didn't notice any "hourly bingo announcements" on the Volendam last month, nor any sound system in the Explorers Lounge. Indeed, the only time I heard bingo announced was during the CD's little chat during the 1 pm Captain and CD's PA.

I didn't notice any "hourly bingo announcements" on the Volendam last month, nor any sound system in the Explorers Lounge. Indeed, the only time I heard bingo announced was during the CD's little chat during the 1 pm Captain and CD's PA.

That's an improvement.

I remember on Oosterdam (you were there ...) the constant droning of the "bingo princess" .... too bad I didn't go to that office, and insert that mike up her nostril. :D

Archived