Change to RCI smoking policy - effective today

sdmike

Congrats, I am a month ahead of you at 2 and 1/2 months smoke free.

This policy is pretty meaningless as many of us smokers, myself included never smoked in our cabins anyway so I doubt you will see this huge difference. When this policy was first announced back in July I did a survey on these board on who would NOW book a balcony (that didn't before) because of the new rules and the number was minute, like 1-2%.

Good for you!!! Good luck sticking with it! :D

Had two inconsiderate cigar smokers on either side of us and they started lighting up at 7 in the morning and spent a lot of time puffing on the smelly cigars. Did not enjoy our balcony. Our only relief was when we were in port and they were off the ship.:mad:

Had two inconsiderate cigar smokers on either side of us and they started lighting up at 7 in the morning and spent a lot of time puffing on the smelly cigars. Did not enjoy our balcony. Our only relief was when we were in port and they were off the ship.:mad:

Unfortunately that is the luck of the draw.

Did you approach them and see if you could work a schedule out so that all of you could enjoy your balconies?

Hasn't this horse been beaten enough before?

TO DEATH!

But- and I don't know what is wrong me and why i'm even going here-but:

It's comments like this:

Yes, I am cruising over a holiday and if a smoker prevents us from enjoying our aft balcony, then I will also be upset. Enjoy your vacation, but don't ruin mine.

That the non-smoker has said and in turn the smoker can say:

Yes, I am cruising over a holiday and if a non- smoker prevents us from enjoying our aft balcony, then I will also be upset. Enjoy your vacation, but don't ruin mine.

Unfortunately, until RCCL goes non-smoking, we all HAVE to get along. That is so far off, even if they will. That decision will not come from the few that bit#$ here. First you'll see, when you book, the question smoking or non-smoking. If the figures are high for the folks that choose smoking, the non-smokers are- outa luck!!! That should be a sign to you all, it's possibly not even a thought in their mind yet!!!

Because it is against the rules to attack a specific poster instead of the topic.

Well, it was hardly an attack. I'm surprised that the post I was referring to was there for so long. It was clearly a personal attack. Did that get removed? I hope so. It was really uncalled for.

The point I was trying to make was, for some of us second-hand smoke IS a big deal. My son has medical issues. My wife and I both find second-hand smoke highly irritating. I think the key to smokers and non-smokers getting along is simple consideration of others. If someone wants to be a smoker, have at it. It's your body, your home, your car, etc. Just please don't involve me without my permission. I won't play my music loudly so I don't annoy others. My kids will be under control and respectful. I won't inflict my political or economic beliefs on you without your permission. In return, please be as considerate as possible to those of us that want fresh air and not cigarette smoke.

/end of rant

Bakincakes: Did approach them, but not luck. They stated it was their right. They did not want to hear about a schedule. On another cruise we were successful in discussing cigarette smoking with a couple on a balcony next to ours and we did work things out. Some people are considerate.

My husband has communicated with RCCL in the past about the smoking in the Schooner Bar on the Radiance class ships. You have to pass through that particular bar to get to the Safari or Colony Club. DH has asthma and cannot tolerate the second hand smoke, so were have been unable to get to the Safari/Colony Club on several trips.

We have also had the misfortune of people smoking on balconies near us. The smell of smoke was so strong that we were unable to use our balcony most of the time.

As former smokers (19+ smoke-free years for me and 26+ years for DH), we understand how strong the addiction is, but when your addiction meets our need for clean air, we have a problem. We can avoid most areas where smoking is permitted, but when we've paid for a balcony and can't use it, we have to draw the line.

A smoker can enjoy the views from their balcony even if they're not smoking, but when they are smoking, they are preventing us from enjoying ours.

RCCL should provide a comfortable, well-ventilated area for smokers without infringing on the rights of non-smokers at the same time.

I will now put on my fireproof gear because I'm sure there are many who would disagree with me.

JUst about you?

Ever thought about co-existing?

What if I am next to you, I introduce myself and tell you that I am a smoker but, if you are not a smoker, I like to find a solution in which we reduce our smoking on the balcony when you are on yours (or even eliminate it) or that you maybe suffer once in a while (or even have to go inside for a couple minutes) while we occasionally smoke a cigarette (with prior knock-on-the-divider warning)?

Don't you think that there could be a solution?

I've read many posts by non-smokers who are terrified that their balconies will be filled with smoke from their neighbors, especially when in port.

I'm betting that the gloves will come off and there will be a spate of complaints from non-smokers about their balcony usage being compromised. Many of them won't be happy until smoking is banned on all ships, everywhere.

Good luck with that. :D

Carnival tried that on one ship. They canceled that project rather quickly.

I mostly get along with non smokers. I sacrifice, they sacrifice. Bottom line is that we all pay money so we all should have the right to enjoy our balcony cabins. It is really a question of good will from all parties involved.

One of the problems with a complete smoking ban is that a lot of foreigners are using cruise lines. They have still totally different smoking habits. If they are not allowed to smoke at all anymore they jump on other cruise lines. The loss of money would be tremendous. Carnival did not continue that smokeless program because of exactly that reason.

Nobody will rat anybody out, except the smoker themselves. On a recent bridge tour on the Navigator I was surprised to learn that the bridge is alerted to any smoke in any cabin. A computer screen revealed several cabins where smoke was present. It was a little funny seeing this as I could imagine the smoker thinking there was no way anyone would know they were smoking in the cabin. The question is will Royal use this technology to enforce their new rules. I suspect not!

I was patiently waiting to see if anyone would venture into the technology realm. So many people think that so many things are unenforceable or people can't possibly know. Folks -- all you need is a small, indiscreet sensor and I can do the rest.

It's a straightfoward process to write a software app that graphically displays a cross section of the ship and its cabins. It's even simpler to then take a data stream from a collection of sensors and display the results on your drawn cross section. The data stream could be as simple as "0" for no smoke or "1" smoke has been detected.

Technology usually makes the unimaginable possible; it's usually a question of whether the business decides to use what's at their disposal. We shall see...

I expect the rules to be adjusted slightly or for "words of encouragement" to be presented by the company to its guests. If those sensors are returning binary data (0 or 1) as opposed to something more tangible, such as a numeric value representing the strength of the smoke, then there's going to be problems when smoke drifts from the balconies into the room. You're going to have false positives for those that follow the rules but leave their balcony doors open.

Making a friendly suggestion to smokers that they should close their balcony doors is probably the natural next step -- if you're not thinking. Assume that all smokers do decide to follow the suggestion, but their next door neighbor is a non-smoker and has his/her balcony door open. Then what?

Again, technology makes things like detection possible; it's a business decision whether they choose to use the technology at their disposal or how they choose to implement it.

~BBDA

I have been putting the 7$ a day (pack and a half) in an envelope everyday. I have over 500$ saved already. Boy, am I going to have fun in the jewelry store on the Jewel in Sept.

As one non-smoker to a fellow non-smoker, I congratulate you and wish you the best with your newfound riches! It's nice to know that your life changes will have a dramatic positive effect for your health, but it's also nice to see the physical, tangible benefits of quitting.

$500 / $7 = 71 days.

Doing the algebra for a full 365 days in a year: $2555! More than enough for an annual cruise ticket.

Good luck to you Sue, and I wish you many years to come to enjoy "free" cruises.

I mostly get along with non smokers. I sacrifice, they sacrifice. Bottom line is that we all pay money so we all should have the right to enjoy our balcony cabins. It is really a question of good will from all parties involved.

One of the problems with a complete smoking ban is that a lot of foreigners are using cruise lines. They have still totally different smoking habits. If they are not allowed to smoke at all anymore they jump on other cruise lines. The loss of money would be tremendous. Carnival did not continue that smokeless program because of exactly that reason.

Smoking Banned in the Cafes of France

By JENNY BARCHFIELD – 2 hours ago

Read the rest of the article:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i57dZa3gcNKxVc4uEpYoDmVlo9yAD8TT9DH00

As one non-smoker to a fellow non-smoker, I congratulate you and wish you the best with your newfound riches! It's nice to know that your life changes will have a dramatic positive effect for your health, but it's also nice to see the physical, tangible benefits of quitting.

$500 / $7 = 71 days.

Doing the algebra for a full 365 days in a year: $2555! More than enough for an annual cruise ticket.

Good luck to you Sue, and I wish you many years to come to enjoy "free" cruises.

Thank very much, this first batch of money I want something tangible (love jewelry) as my reward. After that is will be for an EXTRA cruise to the 2 or 3 we have been doing a year.

How they will enforce this is when you leave the ship on disembarkment day the person cleaning the room will notify whoever that the room has smokers in it and they 250 will be added to your account for the cleanup costs after the fact even after you have paid..How they do it in Canada with the hotel rooms in some provinces including mine is the maid cleans the room and with the smell of smoke inside the room they charge your credit card for the extra costs.(Read the small small print they can do this).Something like a damage deposit.It actually works very well .I would not want to be the person cleaning the rooms when a passenger is compalining the that room stinks like smoke so you know the maids will be turning the smokers in to protect there butts.It will work so smokers you beter follow the rules!!!! thesawch

I'm going to assume you're referring to the Carnival Victory and Carnival Paradise. I sailed the Victory back in 2004 and had a great time. I wasn't aware that they discontinued the program, but if what you say with regard to foreign travelers is true, then I can't fault the business for discontinuing that program.

I do find it interesting that the decision was made in light of the current environment overseas regarding smoking. I recently recall France having a campaign against smoking; I'll have to Google for a link.

I'm going to assume you're referring to the Carnival Victory and Carnival Paradise. I sailed the Victory back in 2004 and had a great time. I wasn't aware that they discontinued the program, but if what you say with regard to foreign travelers is true, then I can't fault the business for discontinuing that program.

I do find it interesting that the decision was made in light of the current environment overseas regarding smoking. I recently recall France having a campaign against smoking; I'll have to Google for a link.

the only NON-smoking ship was the Paradise, never the Victory to my knowledge, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. As far as the French ban it went into effect last night at midnight and you can read about it in Merion Mom's post a couple above this one.

Thank very much, this first batch of money I want something tangible (love jewelry) as my reward. After that is will be for an EXTRA cruise to the 2 or 3 we have been doing a year.

Ok, so now any love I had for you is completely gone! You make me sick -- you already take 2-3 cruises a year and now get to do yet ANOTHER one?!? :D :D :D

Seriously though, congrats. I wish you many more years of enjoyable cruises.

Ok, so now any love I had for you is completely gone! You make me sick -- you already take 2-3 cruises a year and now get to do yet ANOTHER one?!? :D :D :D

Seriously though, congrats. I wish you many more years of enjoyable cruises.

I have worked my butt off raising brilliant children who got wonderful scholarships so that I could use their college funds to cruise with.;) I did take the two of them to your beautiful state this past August and they loved it.

JUst about you?

Ever thought about co-existing?

What if I am next to you, I introduce myself and tell you that I am a smoker but, if you are not a smoker, I like to find a solution in which we reduce our smoking on the balcony when you are on yours (or even eliminate it) or that you maybe suffer once in a while (or even have to go inside for a couple minutes) while we occasionally smoke a cigarette (with prior knock-on-the-divider warning)?

Don't you think that there could be a solution?

I believe there is a solution, but it generally involves people rather than corporations to make it work -- being friendly and approachable to your common human.

At the very least, if I were a neighbor with a smoker and their smoke continued to fill my cabin, I'd knock on their door and politely explain the situation. I'd even go so far as to tell them that I would completely understand if they decided to do nothing to resolve the issue, but I have found that if I'm willing to bend over backwards to find and agree to a solution without casting someone in an unfavorable light, they are generally agreeable and will eagerly work with me to come to a compromise.

Basic human decency has gone by the wayside and too many people now rely on some faceless organization to be an arbitrator rather than getting out and meeting their fellow human. Just my four cents -- divided by two...

~BBDA

I have worked my butt off raising brilliant children who got wonderful scholarships so that I could use their college funds to cruise with.;) I did take the two of them to your beautiful state this past August and they loved it.

Heh, small world.

I'm glad to hear that they loved Alaska; I'm still in awe sometimes about what it means to be an Alaskan. Here I am living in the largest city, and I can drive up to my home and be denied entry into my garage by a moose in my driveway eating the adjacent trees, or have to constantly be on alert when running with my dog on nature trails because you could encounter a moose, a bear, a pack of wolves, etc. And don't get me started on the scenary.

Even smaller world -- I was born in Brooklyn. Hiya neighbor! :D

How they will enforce this is when you leave the ship on disembarkment day the person cleaning the room will notify whoever that the room has smokers in it and they 250 will be added to your account for the cleanup costs after the fact even after you have paid..How they do it in Canada with the hotel rooms in some provinces including mine is the maid cleans the room and with the smell of smoke inside the room they charge your credit card for the extra costs.(Read the small small print they can do this).Something like a damage deposit.It actually works very well .I would not want to be the person cleaning the rooms when a passenger is compalining the that room stinks like smoke so you know the maids will be turning the smokers in to protect there butts.It will work so smokers you beter follow the rules!!!! thesawch

So if non-smokers happen to have a balcony cabin in between two smokers and smoke wafts into their cabin are they subject to the fine as well? Absent ashtrays in any of the cabins would the maids be able to tell who was doing the smoking and who collected the second hand smoke?

Guess I will now add to the receipt that I will present to the cabin attendant before we check out---"nothing used from the mini bar & no smoking report will be made...." that will avoid arguments after the cruise. $250 is alot more to argue about than the last day extra mini bar charges that routinely appear.

DH does have his daily cigar on the balcony when no one is around & no one has ever complained. I wonder if they will still offer the cigar smoking & brandy upstairs in the Hollywood Odyssey at night on Jewel type ships.. That room has great vents & during the day there is no hint of smoke as far as I can tell... They do not seem to have an outdoor aft smoking area like Celebrity ships---

I am a non-smoker but the smokers have to have some place they can go to get their fix!

Archived