Change to RCI smoking policy - effective today

sdmike

I could set my nekked fat arse out on my balcony all day too, but probably wouldn't do it if it bothered the neighbors. Just because it may be allowed does not make it right.

Careful,You may end of on YouTube

Ok, and?

The smoking policy hasn't changed other than you can't smoke in the cabin anymore. So now you have to smoke on the balcony or in one of the designated smoking area's.

Anyway, who is going to rat you out if you are smoking in the cabin? The cabin steward? No way. Because he is then washing his tip down the drain.

They sure will- think about it... o.k. I'll help. There will likely be a "tip" from RCI for ratting someone out if the fine is $250.00. Imagine the next cruiser comming onboard to a filthy cabin- guest complains, cabing steward gets fired! How do you think they clean the smoke? It costs money and requires special material. This material will not be available unless a cabin steward requests it. They will have to rat someone out to get the cleaning supplies, otherwise they are in trouble.

On a personal note, this change in policy is only another cost cutting meassure. It has nothing to do with concern for passengers. How hard is it to step outside on deck of a ship to light up?

I've read many posts by non-smokers who are terrified that their balconies will be filled with smoke from their neighbors, especially when in port.

I'm betting that the gloves will come off and there will be a spate of complaints from non-smokers about their balcony usage being compromised. Many of them won't be happy until smoking is banned on all ships, everywhere.

We can only hope!!:)

They sure will- think about it... o.k. I'll help. There will likely be a "tip" from RCI for ratting someone out if the fine is $250.00. Imagine the next cruiser comming onboard to a filthy cabin- guest complains, cabing steward gets fired! How do you think they clean the smoke? It costs money and requires special material. This material will not be available unless a cabin steward requests it. They will have to rat someone out to get the cleaning supplies, otherwise they are in trouble.

On a personal note, this change in policy is only another cost cutting meassure. It has nothing to do with concern for passengers. How hard is it to step outside on deck of a ship to light up?

I'm in the hospitality business, and I know that hotels have a really difficult time making this 'fine' stick. Its easily contested and your credit card will usually be able to remove it right away because it can't be proven. You can just as easily say "I don't smoke, it was my neighbors smoke drifting into my room" and since they can't prove it wasn't, the charge would have to be dropped. As well, people have been able to smoke in their cabin till now, and the majority of cruisers have never complained because they have a good cleaning system. They don't need special materials, because they already have them, you know? I tend to agree that it is just a cost cutting measure.

Anything that limits my exposure to smoke I'm for. My eyes burn just being around someone who smells like cigarettes. One of the major reasons I'd get a balcony is so that I can sit outside and enjoy the fresh sea air. However, my neighbors on my last cruise were the Chimneys to the left and the Smokestacks to the right. I understand it's their right to smoke, but I was sad that I couldn't enjoy my balcony the way I hoped. It doesn't seem like this is going to be much of a benefit to me. :(

I could set my nekked fat arse out on my balcony all day too, but probably wouldn't do it if it bothered the neighbors. Just because it may be allowed does not make it right.

True, but if they made a rule that you may only set your naked fat arse on the balcony or up on a public deck, and not in your room anymore, you may want to do that. And if the person next to you will faint every single time they see that then they may want to rethink getting a balcony. Just because they can buy one doesn't make it right for everyone else to be inconvienenced either. People need to work it out. If I have chain smokers next to me then I'll talk to them or deal - but it wouldn't stop me from going out there.

If it did, getting a balcony would be a waste, don't you think?

I'm in the hospitality business, and I know that hotels have a really difficult time making this 'fine' stick. Its easily contested and your credit card will usually be able to remove it right away because it can't be proven. You can just as easily say "I don't smoke, it was my neighbors smoke drifting into my room" and since they can't prove it wasn't, the charge would have to be dropped. As well, people have been able to smoke in their cabin till now, and the majority of cruisers have never complained because they have a good cleaning system. They don't need special materials, because they already have them, you know? I tend to agree that it is just a cost cutting measure.

A friend at Marriot said they have had no trouble with guest having the fine removed.They can also place the guest on THE BANNED LIST

A friend at Marriot said they have had no trouble with guest having the fine removed.They can also place the guest on THE BANNED LIST

Thats nice for Marriot, but my experiences have been different with a few different companies. I'm sure if you google it you would find some differing information on the subject. It's something that we struggle with in this business for sure. And Marriot would have to have a serious problem to put someone on the banned list - like a massive repeat offender that doesn't care about the rules - they aren't really an exclusive enough place to do that often enough, you know? I mean, getting banned from St. Regis is one thing, but from Marriot? I would think the logistics of that would be a real pain - not to mention managers hate to turn business away.

Good luck with that. :D

Carnival tried that on one ship. They canceled that project rather quickly.

I mostly get along with non smokers. I sacrifice, they sacrifice. Bottom line is that we all pay money so we all should have the right to enjoy our balcony cabins. It is really a question of good will from all parties involved.

One of the problems with a complete smoking ban is that a lot of foreigners are using cruise lines. They have still totally different smoking habits. If they are not allowed to smoke at all anymore they jump on other cruise lines. The loss of money would be tremendous. Carnival did not continue that smokeless program because of exactly that reason.

The project lasted a very respectable amount of time. It failed because it was on an old ship (old for these times) that no one wanted to sail her more anyway. Sovereign and Empress of the Seas will be transferred out too. They both allow smoking. Are they leaving because the smoking policy failed? Be careful using fallacies. Your point on Europeans valid. They do have many restrictions going into place over there as well. It won't hurt them to step outside on deck, a compromise I think everyone would be happy about. Restriction Europeans to smoking outside will not stop them from cruising over here, esp. with the weaker US dollar.

The project lasted a very respectable amount of time. It failed because it was on an old ship (old for these times) that no one wanted to sail her more anyway. Sovereign and Empress of the Seas will be transferred out too. They both allow smoking. Are they leaving because the smoking policy failed? Be careful using fallacies. Your point on Europeans valid. They do have many restrictions going into place over there as well. It won't hurt them to step outside on deck, a compromise I think everyone would be happy about. Restriction Europeans to smoking outside will not stop them from cruising over here, esp. with the weaker US dollar.

Carnival's smoke free ship is still sailing, still booked full most sailings, but they now allow smoking.

Clararats - What would your reaction be if I was your next door neighbor and approached you in an attempt to work out an arrangement where we could balance your desire to smoke on your balcony and our desire to not smell your smoke while on our balcony?

Just curious

I to work at a hotel, however we do not have an issue charging some one for a room smelling of smoke.

All of our rooms have balconies and the lie "smoke drifted into my room from a neighbor" isnt legit. A room that is smoked in has a clear and obvious smell to it, where as one smoke has "floated into" is easily vented quickly there after the smoke "magically" got in there. Basically, you can tell if some one smokes in the rooms.

Also the Royal im sure is looking at this from a cost stand point as well, damaged carpets, cabins, linen ect, is all a bi product of smokers not to mention the ionizers used to clear rooms of the smell are 400+ dollars.

It just seems to make since to not have smoking in rooms, It makes no smokers happy and its cheaper due to lack of having to fix damage done by smokers.

I dont smoke and never will, and for those who are saying "I smoke and I payed for a balcony how come I cant use it as I please and smoke on it" I have this.

Second hand smoke is proven bad for you, If you want to kill yourself or shorten your life do it smoking, just don't make me go with you. Smoking on a balcony many a persons can smell the smoke downwind and it isn't good for you or them and your forcing them to smell it. Even though they purchased a balcony for the same money, they didn't ask for a smoker to be booked next to them. Also in a public if you smoke, your basically forcing me to breath in that air. Smokers take away non smokers choice to breath clean air that isn't toxic. Until its ok for people to walk around with nerve gas, I don't think it quite fair to say non smokers are selfish because they don't want to inhale a toxin.

Allowing smoking on a ship where a fire at sea is one of the biggest fears, I'm surprised its not banned on board any cruise ship. It doesn't seem worth the risk since as I recall the princess ship fire was caused by some one who left a lit cigarette on their balcony and it blew off and caused a blaze. So who suffered for the smokers negligence A. The cruise line causing 100's of thousands of dollars in damage and B, every one on the ship who had their vacation ruined. That seams really fare doesn't it?

People can live from 3-14 nights without smoking esp since its a fire hazard and a poison and bad for you, however all of us cant live without O2 in our lungs ,and smoke in our lungs inhibits that exchange of O2 into our blood!

Not to be rude, but why on earth would you get a balcony knowing that your son could get sick if a tiny molecule of smoke caught to a jacket causes him to react like that? It seems kind of selfish. I mean, smoking is allowed, so too bad, but why set your son up to maybe get sick? I don't smoke ciggarettes, but if I was next to you and you 'got upset' that I 'ruined your vacation' I would ask why the hell you got a balcony knowing that smokers now can't smoke in their rooms, just their balconies (besides public areas)? That just makes no sense to me. Its akin to standing in another smoking allowed area and acting all pissed off that people are smoking around you....:confused: Protect your sons health - you're his Mother - surely you can stand having an ocean view or inside cabin so you wouldn't have to maybe subject him to getting sick?

By the way, its easy to assign a tone to a post with the written word, but I'm really not meaning to be rude. I just really don't understand your view or others like it.

So right, I shall lock him in a closet all his life, or let him go on a cruise and enjoy a balcony with the ocean view with clean air. And no, when I booked this cruise 1-1/2 years ago, this rule was unknown. And yes, a balcony is much better with access to fresh air versus an indoor cabin to no access to fresh air!!!!!!!!!

And for the record, I don't understand your views either!! And since you said you don't mean to be rude, I do believe your were!

People can live from 3-14 nights without smoking esp since its a fire hazard and a poison and bad for you, however all of us cant live without O2 in our lungs ,and smoke in our lungs inhibits that exchange of O2 into our blood!

Spoken like a true non-smoker. I just quit 2 1/2 months ago and I can tell you that, I or any smoker I know would not be able to go for 3-14 nights without. I could tell you I had trouble with a 3 hour flight. They will never ban smoking completely because a large % of the cruiselines revenue is based on group booking and there will ALWAYS be a few smokers in every group. There are some lines like Oceania that have severely limited smoking on board but even they still have a smoking area.

I to work at a hotel, however we do not have an issue charging some one for a room smelling of smoke.

All of our rooms have balconies and the lie "smoke drifted into my room from a neighbor" isnt legit. A room that is smoked in has a clear and obvious smell to it, where as one smoke has "floated into" is easily vented quickly there after the smoke "magically" got in there. Basically, you can tell if some one smokes in the rooms.

Also the Royal im sure is looking at this from a cost stand point as well, damaged carpets, cabins, linen ect, is all a bi product of smokers not to mention the ionizers used to clear rooms of the smell are 400+ dollars.

It just seems to make since to not have smoking in rooms, It makes no smokers happy and its cheaper due to lack of having to fix damage done by smokers.

I dont smoke and never will, and for those who are saying "I smoke and I payed for a balcony how come I cant use it as I please and smoke on it" I have this.

Second hand smoke is proven bad for you, If you want to kill yourself or shorten your life do it smoking, just don't make me go with you. Smoking on a balcony many a persons can smell the smoke downwind and it isn't good for you or them and your forcing them to smell it. Even though they purchased a balcony for the same money, they didn't ask for a smoker to be booked next to them. Also in a public if you smoke, your basically forcing me to breath in that air. Smokers take away non smokers choice to breath clean air that isn't toxic. Until its ok for people to walk around with nerve gas, I don't think it quite fair to say non smokers are selfish because they don't want to inhale a toxin.

Allowing smoking on a ship where a fire at sea is one of the biggest fears, I'm surprised its not banned on board any cruise ship. It doesn't seem worth the risk since as I recall the princess ship fire was caused by some one who left a lit cigarette on their balcony and it blew off and caused a blaze. So who suffered for the smokers negligence A. The cruise line causing 100's of thousands of dollars in damage and B, every one on the ship who had their vacation ruined. That seams really fare doesn't it?

Navigator, the Princess Star fire pointed at a cigarette as a "likely" source for the fire...no definite proof. The 3 main causes of fires on cruise ships remain as they always have - incidents in laundry rooms, galleys and engine rooms.

If you think smokers can live 3-14 nights without a cigarette...THINK AGAIN.

NO WAY will a smoker set foot on a non smoking cruise ship...just will not happen. The cruise lines know this and this is why complete smoking bans on mass market cruise ships are a long, long way off - if ever. The reason for this is simple, 20% of the population still smokes however this 20% travels with a lot of non smokers. If you think the cruise lines are going to ignore 35 - 50% of their market - THINK AGAIN.

Anyway, who is going to rat you out if you are smoking in the cabin? The cabin steward? No way. Because he is then washing his tip down the drain.

Well, the fine (according to the cruise docs we just got) is $250. A good way to get the room attendant to not worry too much about the lost tip would be to turn over half the fine to them.

On one side of the pool deck, I think it was starboard but not positive, look for the ashtrays.

We try to sit next to a non-smoking sign but still have had trouble getting folks to move because they don't want to lose a pool-side seat.

Well, the fine (according to the cruise docs we just got) is $250. A good way to get the room attendant to not worry too much about the lost tip would be to turn over half the fine to them.

Oh yeah! I can just see everyone getting hit with this fine, then, whether they smoked or not! :D Sounds like a bribe rather than a solution to a problem!

Well, in Germany a new smoking ban went into effect as well. Bar owners and restaurant owners are now suing and mostlikely the new law will be reversed. A lot of bars converted their bars and pubs into smoking-only places.

JUst because of bans smoking habits do not change. Smokers just take their business elsewhere in Europe. It is a little bit a different culture over there. And I know that because I was born over there. ;)

Well, if you were born "there" then you likely know that many European countries have been very successful with smoking bans. Italy, of all places, has done a magnificent job. Given the dire predictions there, I'm sure that a smoking ban in the US, where the smoking rate drops annually, will eventually be a reality.

It sure seems like it. :D

Oh yeah! I can just see everyone getting hit with this fine, then, whether they smoked or not! :D Sounds like a bribe rather than a solution to a problem!

One presumes that the evidence will have to be documented by a supervisor.

Many hotels and other resorts are non-smoking. It's good for the longevity of the facility (particularly fabrics) and the guests so whining about enforcement is likely to be short-lived. Remember all those people who swore they would never fly if planes went non-smoking...?

Right, and when your guest says 'I did not smoke in that room - I don't smoke" what does your company do? Do they fine them anyway and lose the business? Of a person that is saying you are clearly mistaken? Because if that is the case I'd like to know the name of your hotel so I don't stay there! Besides, the fine goes on the credit card they use for check in/out and IS easily contestable. As I said, look it up, do a little research on it and you'll see. I think the NY Times did an article on it in the business section last year or so - and it certainly reflected the hospitality industry I know.

Also, when I said drifting into the room, I meant on a cruise ship balcony room. People always mention that smoke was drifting into their rooms from outside and it smelled awful. So I guess your companies thinking is too bad for this type of guest? I hope RCCL isn't like that to me!

The Princess fire wasn't proven to be cause by anything, actually, they beleive it was possible it was a ciggarette. But of all the cruise fires you've heard of, how many were electrical and how many were cigarettes?

I don't smoke, but I just hate hearing all of these chicken little horror stories. Why don't you call your doctor and ask him about your health risks of standing on a balcony with smoke drifting by? Now ask him about living in a city or driving a car or just living in this country and swallowing pollutants all day. Are you this adament about smokestack pollutions and automobiles? You can't just read a study of second hand smoke from 1989 - it was proven to be flawed. Try to read studies from objective sites - its a real eye opener. You inhale much worse toxins all day long then you will walking through the open air deck of the smoking allowed area. Just my opinion.

This has been found to be almost universally true. Now you rarely hear the it will lose me business argument.

Alberta just started a smoking ban and all the bar owners are crying foul It's so weird because bars here in Ontario all still seem to be doing just fine and you would think that reasoning would have faded.

Congratulations, Sue!:)

stick with it Sue!

Thats nice for Marriot, but my experiences have been different with a few different companies. I'm sure if you google it you would find some differing information on the subject. It's something that we struggle with in this business for sure. And Marriot would have to have a serious problem to put someone on the banned list - like a massive repeat offender that doesn't care about the rules - they aren't really an exclusive enough place to do that often enough, you know? I mean, getting banned from St. Regis is one thing, but from Marriot? I would think the logistics of that would be a real pain - not to mention managers hate to turn business away.

It hasn't hurt Marriott by being so publicly anti-smoking. It's occupancy went up!

What studies can you cite that refute the scientific reports that indicate that smoking is bad for your health? Any that weren't funded by the "objective" tobacco companies and interests. In case you haven't noticed, the trend both here and in Europe is toward banning smoking in just about all public spaces including pubs in Ireland and England. If all facilities in a locale ban smoking where will those smokers go with their business. The lost business argument has proven not to be valid in so many instances that I am surprised to see that some people are still bringing up this old chestnut. :)

What studies can you cite that refute the scientific reports that indicate that smoking is bad for your health? Any that weren't funded by the "objective" tobacco companies and interests. In case you haven't noticed, the trend both here and in Europe is toward banning smoking in just about all public spaces including pubs in Ireland and England. If all facilities in a locale ban smoking where will those smokers go with their business. The lost business argument has proven not to be valid in so many instances that I am surprised to see that some people are still bringing up this old chestnut. :)

I was talking about second hand smoke (as the poster mentioned) and there are so many studies I don't need to take time to google them and cite them for you - you can certainly manage that yourself, I'm sure.:) I didn't mention any lost business due to banning smoking - were you referencing another poster?

Archived