Aft cabin selection-Liberty of Seas

swiss

Hey! I havent seen you in a while! Hope everything is good! :D

Hey Chris! I thought you were at camp? Are you going soon? All is well here. Tom, Michael, and I are headed to Las Vegas next week. I think of Vegas as a "Land Cruise". It has all the elements of a cruise...except for the sea! ;) Next month I'm headed to Alaska.....on Holland America :eek: Have fun at camp!

Hey Bonnie - that's one more thing we have in common. We're headed to Vegas on July 1st. Have a great trip!

Kikkycat, maybe I'll see you there! :D It appears we have a LOT in common! We seem to like the same ships too! My last few RCCL cruises are your NEXT two RCCL cruises! Also, we are practically neighbors. I live right up the road from you (well, about two hours up I-95, that is)!

Edited by Bonnie Voyager

Kikkycat, maybe I'll see you there!

Hi Bonnie:), Long time, No speak..:D I have a quick question that I am sure I will know your answer to but here goes :D.. I have a Deck 7 VERY MID HUMP Cabin right now on the liberty.. AFT CABIN #9406 is open at the moment. I did see some photos of the sister cabin and while that Balcony looks nice and Big. I think I would really be turned off by the Steel structures.. I had my first AFT just 3 months ago on NCL and REALLY Liked it. But their was no Obstructions and you could look straight down at the water and not a deck below ? I just see in my mind the constant compairing ? I also have at the moment one of the most sought after locations right now being right next to the elevator banks ? SOOOOOOO :D My hope is that you will tell me since I am with my 9 year old that my central location is best.. I know it's a long shot but that is MY HOPE ;):D.. So.. What do you think ?

Edited by mr jailerman

Hi Bonnie, Long time, No speak.. I have a quick question that I am sure I will know your answer to but here goes .. I have a Deck 7 VERY MID HUMP Cabin right now on the liberty.. AFT CABIN #9406 is open at the moment. I did see some photos of the sister cabin and while that Balcony looks nice and Big. I think I would really be turned off by the Steel structures.. I had my first AFT just 3 months ago on NCL and REALLY Liked it. But their was no Obstructions and you could look straight down at the water and not a deck below ? I just see in my mind the constant compairing ? I also have at the moment one of the most sought after locations right now being right next to the elevator banks ? SOOOOOOO My hope is that you will tell me since I am with my 9 year old that my central location is best.. I know it's a long shot but that is MY HOPE .. So.. What do you think ?

First, let me say that the steel structure is really a non-issue in 9406 since that balcony is situated well within that steel structure and there are NO beams impeding your view out from the balcony of 9406. but, with that said, I will note that, other than the larger balcony and AWESOME view of the wake, your son will gain nothing from being in that aft cabin. He will, however, LOVE the ease of running up and down the stairs from your hump cabin to get to the Royal Promenade to grab a slice of pizza or a cookie and then run back to your cabin....or....to run UP the stairs to play a quick game in the arcade or take a dip in the pool. I think under your circumstances, you are very well positioned! Enjoy yourselves! It's nice to hear from you again! :D

Edited by Bonnie Voyager

We have sailed twice on the Freedom, once in 1702 - FABULOUS!

Also sailed twice on the Liberty, both times in 1702, can you tell we loved it!

And most recently in March for a b2b on the Independence in 1700. We are really spolied!!!! We have been aft lovers since our first b2b onthe JEWEL in cabin 1100.

The only time we avoid the AFT is from Cape Liberty, NJ. For some reason (maybe psychological) I get sea sick sailing from Bayonne.

We have also sailed numerous times on the Radiance and Serenade 1602.

Join the AFT Lovers club!

First, let me say that the steel structure is really a non-issue in 9406 since that balcony is situated well within that steel structure and there are NO beams impeding your view out from the balcony of 9406. but, with that said, I will note that, other than the larger balcony and AWESOME view of the wake, your son will gain nothing from being in that aft cabin. He will, however, LOVE the ease of running up and down the stairs from your hump cabin to get to the Royal Promenade to grab a slice of pizza or a cookie and then run back to your cabin....or....to run UP the stairs to play a quick game in the arcade or take a dip in the pool. I think under your circumstances, you are very well positioned! Enjoy yourselves! It's nice to hear from you again! :D

Thanks Bonnie..:) It's nice to hear from you too.. I hope all is well..:)

We had 7708, one of the Corner Afts, AND ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!! :) IT had SOOO much room to move around! Yes, the D1 cabin is not at big the as the 1700 one, but the size of the balcony (my DH said it was 10 X 15 feet!) was well worth the sacrifice! And the view and sound of the wake was amazing!

Yes, we are now AFT BALCONY SNOBS!! ;) Thanks to Bonnie Voyager!

Jacquelyn :D

I hear lots of good info on 7708, but what about 8710? I am on LOS next April and picked that aft. I know it does not have a slider. Any other info?

8710/8410 have smaller balconies than most of the other aft cabins (9404/9704 have the smallest of the aft balconies). This is NOT to say that their balconies are small though. They are still larger than a side balcony of the same category and have amazing views. Also, these deck 8 and deck 9 aft/corner balconys have unobstructed views and are not visually impeded by that darned steel structure everyone frets about. These four balconies are also probably the sunniest of the aft balconies, with very little shade (which is why you don't hear ME bragging about them, because we PREFER a shady balcony ;)). All four of these balconies are somewhat pie-shaped. There is still room for at least two upright chairs, one table, and one lounge chair (and sometimes you will find TWO loungechairs on these balconies). The deck 8 aft/corner cabins have one single door, so the cabin itself MAY not be as bright as a cabin with the double door (bur for some, this is not considered a negative!) The deck 9 aft/corner cabins have the single door PLUS a huge porthole window, large enough to sit in. I would consider all of these cabins to be preferable to a side cabin of the same category. Especially if you want a sunny balcony! I hope this helps you a little, rather than confuses you more! :eek:

Here is a photo of 8390 on a Voyager-class ship, which would look almost identical, but mirror image to 8710...

1062812149036355651S500x500Q85.jpg

And, here is a photo of 8690 which will be almost identical to 8710...

1127620347036355651S500x500Q85.jpg

Edited by Bonnie Voyager

Well if everything I am reading is right, you pretty much cannot go wrong with an AFT..................we are really thankfull for our 1400 aft on LOS, RCI. Not like it matters but, does it have a slider or regular door going to balacony?

Does anyone have any tips for us???? This will be our 1st AFT and also only our 3rd cruise.

Kikkycat, maybe I'll see you there! :D It appears we have a LOT in common! We seem to like the same ships too! My last few RCCL cruises are your NEXT two RCCL cruises! Also, we are practically neighbors. I live right up the road from you (well, about two hours up I-95, that is)!

Bonnie, we regularly stop at Iron Hill in Newark for a meal when we're travelling up that way. Lovely food and beer!

Well if everything I am reading is right, you pretty much cannot go wrong with an AFT..................we are really thankfull for our 1400 aft on LOS, RCI. Not like it matters but, does it have a slider or regular door going to balacony?

Does anyone have any tips for us???? This will be our 1st AFT and also only our 3rd cruise.

You've got a full slider in 1400/1700 and these are my favorite cabins! The cabin itself is so roomy! The balcony is nice too, more pros than cons in my opinion! Enjoy!

You've got a full slider in 1400/1700 and these are my favorite cabins! The cabin itself is so roomy! The balcony is nice too, more pros than cons in my opinion! Enjoy!

Thanks Bonnie! We are really getting excited now as our thread is finally getting some posters! This will be our 1st "longer" cruise and are hoping everyone will sign up for the meet and mingle! We are really looking forword to being alittle more experienced than the last 2 cruises! Yes, the room looks great for a family of 4 and a quest or two for entertaining! COCKTAILS ANYONE?

Thanks for your comments!

We will have our first AFT (7708) balcony on the Liberty in October. This will be my DS (4) first balcony.

I've seen in the photos that the railings are not the glass like the side balconies are. Should I be worried he could slip through the spaces? Not that I'd let him out on the balcony alone.

First, let me say that the steel structure is really a non-issue in 9406 since that balcony is situated well within that steel structure and there are NO beams impeding your view out from the balcony of 9406. but, with that said, I will note that, other than the larger balcony and AWESOME view of the wake, your son will gain nothing from being in that aft cabin. He will, however, LOVE the ease of running up and down the stairs from your hump cabin to get to the Royal Promenade to grab a slice of pizza or a cookie and then run back to your cabin....or....to run UP the stairs to play a quick game in the arcade or take a dip in the pool. I think under your circumstances, you are very well positioned! Enjoy yourselves! It's nice to hear from you again!

Hello Again Bonnie:), Well ever since that Thread started "Freedom Class AFT Balconies" running a day or two ago with the BEST AFT PHOTOS of the Freedom that I have EVER SEEN, I could not help myself but to re-claim that 9406 AFT Balcony Cabin.. I have even added it to my signature so I must mean it this time :D.. #9404 is also still open but the Balcony looks smaller and cramped. I really wished that this cabin had a sleeper sofa though as it will be myself and my son and I'm a pretty big guy whom has always booked older ships and booked Suites so I had a full size bed and he could have the full size sleeper.. But RCI is having a capasity control order for this cruise with spring break going on and wont give me a cabin with just two of us with a sleeper bed in it :rolleyes::D.. I know that 1404, A D-1 is still open but not bookable with only 3 people... I wonder if their is room or if they even would place a roll away in that 9406 if I took care of the cabin steward ($$) right from the start ? HUMMMMMM ???;):D

We will have our first AFT (7708) balcony on the Liberty in October. This will be my DS (4) first balcony.

I've seen in the photos that the railings are not the glass like the side balconies are. Should I be worried he could slip through the spaces? Not that I'd let him out on the balcony alone.

You will LOVE the space on the balcony! I would gestimate the rails themselves are 6 inches apart, with the top railing being about 36-40 inches high. One of the mental comment I made to myself while enjoying my balcony was "I'm glad my kids are older (15 & 16) This balcony might be a challenge if I had a climber!" :eek: I doubt he could slip thru the balcony rails but could climb over it if so inclined! I did notice security cameras there that kept an eye on the back of the ship!

The door to get outside to the balcony IS rather hard to pull, and it would take the strenght of an older child to open it. I don't believe a 4yo could. I don't recall a lock on the balcony, but I'm sure there is one there, just didn't notice it because I didn't need it. I know they sell a spring-loaded door stop you can put on sliding glass doors. Might want to look into it.

If you have a fold up kid sized chair that you could put in your suitcase that might help. He would have his "special chair" to sit in. Just an idea.

Have a great time on the LOS in October!

Jacquelyn :D

Hello Again Bonnie:), Well ever since that Thread started "Freedom Class AFT Balconies" running a day or two ago with the BEST AFT PHOTOS of the Freedom that I have EVER SEEN, I could not help myself but to re-claim that 9406 AFT Balcony Cabin.. I have even added it to my signature so I must mean it this time :D.. #9404 is also still open but the Balcony looks smaller and cramped. I really wished that this cabin had a sleeper sofa though as it will be myself and my son and I'm a pretty big guy whom has always booked older ships and booked Suites so I had a full size bed and he could have the full size sleeper.. But RCI is having a capasity control order for this cruise with spring break going on and wont give me a cabin with just two of us with a sleeper bed in it :rolleyes::D.. I know that 1404, A D-1 is still open but not bookable with only 3 people... I wonder if their is room or if they even would place a roll away in that 9406 if I took care of the cabin steward ($$) right from the start ? HUMMMMMM ???:D

"With only 2 people" as far as capasity. that last section was supose to say.. whops..:)

Hello Again Bonnie:), Well ever since that Thread started "Freedom Class AFT Balconies" running a day or two ago with the BEST AFT PHOTOS of the Freedom that I have EVER SEEN, I could not help myself but to re-claim that 9406 AFT Balcony Cabin.. I have even added it to my signature so I must mean it this time .. #9404 is also still open but the Balcony looks smaller and cramped. I really wished that this cabin had a sleeper sofa though as it will be myself and my son and I'm a pretty big guy whom has always booked older ships and booked Suites so I had a full size bed and he could have the full size sleeper.. But RCI is having a capasity control order for this cruise with spring break going on and wont give me a cabin with just two of us with a sleeper bed in it .. I know that 1404, A D-1 is still open but not bookable with only 3 people... I wonder if their is room or if they even would place a roll away in that 9406 if I took care of the cabin steward ($$) right from the start ? HUMMMMMM ???

I think you will be hard-pressed to squeeze a rollaway in this cabin, but it is certainly worth looking in to. Also, if you are really desperate to have the sofabed, you could book 1404 for three passengers and just eat the cost of the third person. Sometimes the third-person fare is not all that high and the extra cost may be worth it to have exactly what you want. Just a thought!

Edited by Bonnie Voyager

Hello Again Bonnie:), Well ever since that Thread started "Freedom Class AFT Balconies" running a day or two ago with the BEST AFT PHOTOS of the Freedom that I have EVER SEEN, I could not help myself but to re-claim that 9406 AFT Balcony Cabin.. I have even added it to my signature so I must mean it this time :D.. #9404 is also still open but the Balcony looks smaller and cramped. I really wished that this cabin had a sleeper sofa though as it will be myself and my son and I'm a pretty big guy whom has always booked older ships and booked Suites so I had a full size bed and he could have the full size sleeper.. But RCI is having a capasity control order for this cruise with spring break going on and wont give me a cabin with just two of us with a sleeper bed in it :rolleyes::D.. I know that 1404, A D-1 is still open but not bookable with only 3 people... I wonder if their is room or if they even would place a roll away in that 9406 if I took care of the cabin steward ($$) right from the start ? HUMMMMMM ???;):D

Bonnie,

Don't let him fool you!!! It was not the pics, it was the LOS Spring Break Threaders he wanted to be close to! He felt all alone in that room so far away from the wild and crazy AFT'ers!!!!!!!! LOL! We are real excited to have Jailerman 1 deck below us! I am sure his move had nothing to do with how Great his UPPER DECK pals are, but, we like to think so!

AGAIN, PARTY IN 1400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your son will LOVE the pullman bed in 9406! He can drop things from the bed in the middle of the night and watch them land on dad's head! It'll be great! :D I think you would be hard-pressed to squeeze a rollaway in this cabin, but a rollaway will be no larger than the pullman bed anyway, so why bother and deprive your son the opportunity to torment you from above? ;)

1064755964036355651S500x500Q85.jpg

I love it! Here is a pic of ZT getting ready to tickle Jeff's feet on our Enchantment cruise in 2008! Remember Twister is not allowed in the Pullman Jailerman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

681967181_Cruise2008027.jpg.a2379a5a7054528ef82f8aa49bae336a.jpg

1654159836_Cruise2008026.jpg.58f9cd56f0b879ddc83e07bef2157089.jpg

I love it! Here is a pic of ZT getting ready to tickle Jeff's feet on our Enchantment cruise in 2008! Remember Twister is not allowed in the Pullman Jailerman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

When I posted that answer, I didn't realize that Jailerman's cabin doesn't have the pullman, only the two twin beds. :( So, you will notice that I went back and changed my answer! But, since I now realize that YOU are on the same cruise and have that HUGE cabin, I think it is only fair that you let Mr. Jailerman's son come sleep on a rollaway in YOUR cabin, so Mr. Jailerman can have his BIG bed to himself! ;)

See Mr. Jailerman? I solved your problem! :D

When I posted that answer, I didn't realize that Jailerman's cabin doesn't have the pullman, only the two twin beds. :( So, you will notice that I went back and changed my answer! But, since I now realize that YOU are on the same cruise and have that HUGE cabin, I think it is only fair that you let Mr. Jailerman's son come sleep on a rollaway in YOUR cabin, so Mr. Jailerman can have his BIG bed to himself! ;)

See Mr. Jailerman? I solved your problem! :D

Ok, I am sure he will like that idea! Now I have a pullman in 1400 right? Or are their 2 pullmans??? I have DH and I, plus 2 kiddies!!!! But, hey 3 will be cool! I am sure, we can work something out!! Drinks for the week? Or I am sure I can work out a nice childcare fee for Mr. Jailerman! :)

I cannot find the thread of the new pics he is talking about, do you know where it is at?

LOL!

Ok, I am sure he will like that idea! Now I have a pullman in 1400 right? Or are their 2 pullmans??? I have DH and I, plus 2 kiddies!!!! But, hey 3 will be cool! I am sure, we can work something out!! Drinks for the week? Or I am sure I can work out a nice childcare fee for Mr. Jailerman! :)

I cannot find the thread of the new pics he is talking about, do you know where it is at?

LOL!

You don't have a pullman in 1400, you have a full-sized sofabed. Even with that bed in the opened position, you will still have plenty of room for the rollaway for Mr. Jailerman's son! ;)

Edited by Bonnie Voyager