Aft cabin selection-Liberty of Seas

swiss

Bonnie, seems like you have the most experience, but if anyone else has recommendations, please share. we are booked next April (2010) on LOS 1404. We have two teenage daughters, we'll all be in one room. Do you think we'd be better off in 1400 or 1700 as these appear to be slightly larger cabins? or, maybe another cabin/different deck?

You'll do fine in 1404, but 1400 or 1700 WOULD feel roomier if one of those cabins is available. Don't sweat it if it isn't though. I would NOT switch from 1404 to anything other than 1400/1700 or 1402/1702 though (1402/1702 are identical to 1404/1704 except their balcony is larger).

We sail in one month and I can't believe that 1402 is still available. We currently have a Promenade Family stateroom on deck 8 and are cruising with our DD's 8 and 11. We can switch to 1402 and save money but I'm not sure I want to lose out on all the extra space. Anyone have any advice?

We sail in one month and I can't believe that 1402 is still available. We currently have a Promenade Family stateroom on deck 8 and are cruising with our DD's 8 and 11. We can switch to 1402 and save money but I'm not sure I want to lose out on all the extra space. Anyone have any advice?

The balcony of 1402 is nearly as large as your current cabin! And for less money? I'd switch in a heartbeat! ;) It will be like having TWO rooms!

Here is a photo of 1702 which is the mirror image of 1402...

2106538870087978241S500x500Q85.jpg

2892361140087978241S500x500Q85.jpg

Edited by Bonnie Voyager
added photos

AHHH!!! Such a hard decision. We are cruising with friends and originally all five of us had inside deck 8 staterooms. We changed to the Interior Family Stateroom which was just down the hall. The FI is 323 sq. ft. but we're paying $1900 for first and second. The D1 is $1699 first and second, but it will be two floors away from our friends.

AHHH!!! Such a hard decision. We are cruising with friends and originally all five of us had inside deck 8 staterooms. We changed to the Interior Family Stateroom which was just down the hall. The FI is 323 sq. ft. but we're paying $1900 for first and second. The D1 is $1699 first and second, but it will be two floors away from our friends.

Yes, you will be 2 floors away, but...you will have a balcony large enough to entertain your entire group! :D Your cabin will surely be the "hangout" for the whole gang! AND you will save money! Sounds like a win/win to me! I do understand your dilemma though. I've been guilty of giving up a primo cabin just to move closer to friends who could not afford to move closer to us. ;) Good luck deciding! Let us know what you do.

Edited by Bonnie Voyager

Yes, you will be 2 floors away, but...you will have a balcony large enough to entertain your entire group! :D Your cabin will surely be the "hangout" for the whole gang! AND you will save money! Sounds like a win/win to me! I do understand your dilemma though. I've been guilty of giving up a primo cabin just to move closer to friends who could not afford to move closer to us. ;) Good luck deciding! Let us know what you do.

I strongly second Bonnie's recommendation!

Just having cabins near friends wouldn't be enough to keep me from changing from an interior cabin to an aft balcony cabin!

I have had great parties on large aft balconies, and have been having so much fun that I forgot to take pictures, or I'd share some! :o

How many sq. ft. do you think the balcony is? It says that the regular D1 cabins have a 68 sq. ft. balcony......

We also lose out on the walk in closet and the bigger bathroom....

Ask your girls if they would rather share a sofabed or have bunk beds.

Here is a picture of the bunkbeds in the Family Promenade cabin.

No, it's not my picture - I would have fixed the orientation before posting it on webshots!

2451849270084602480S600x600Q85.jpg

How many sq. ft. do you think the balcony is? It says that the regular D1 cabins have a 68 sq. ft. balcony......

We also lose out on the walk in closet and the bigger bathroom....

Bonnie had posted this picture of *your* balcony on page 3 of this thread:

2106538870087978241S500x500Q85.jpg

I finally got ahold of my TA and she phoned RCCL and they said the cabin isn't available to group bookings. She's going to call in the morning and see if they will release it.

Don't fret over it though! You've already got a nice cabin near your friends. You are going to have a great time no matter what happens! :) Please clarify for me though, are you in a Family Interior? or a Family Promenade?

Edited by Bonnie Voyager

Don't fret over it though! You've already got a nice cabin near your friends. You are going to have a great time no matter what happens! :) Please clarify for me though, are you in a Family Interior? or a Family Promenade?

We're in a Family Promenade but the category is FI. There are only six FI's on the Liberty. Two on deck 2, two on deck 7 and two on deck 8. They're the same size as two connecting insides or promenades.

We're in a Family Promenade but the category is FI. There are only six FI's on the Liberty. Two on deck 2, two on deck 7 and two on deck 8. They're the same size as two connecting insides or promenades.

Gotcha! ;) My mother-in-law had a promenade-view cabin once. It was so much fun to sit in the window and watch the goings on down on the Royal Promenade! Your girls will LOVE that! :D Good luck with your decision. Sounds like a win/win either way!

Bonnie - Your thoughts on 8710?

I'm not Bonnie, nor have I yet had the pleasure of cruising with her, but here's my opinion.

Deck 8 corner aft cabins are nice. Not *as* nice as Deck 7 or Deck 10, but nice.

The aft sections of Freedom class and Voyager class ships are identical, so Freedom/Liberty/Independence 8710 is identical to 8690 (or 8390) on a Voyager class ship.

The balcony is larger than the balcony of an E1 cabin on the side of the ship, but not as large as some of the other aft balconies. And instead of sliding balcony doors, it has a very large round window (large enough inside to have a "window seat") and a regular door.

Here's the balcony.

1062812149036355651S600x600Q85.jpg

1064812581036355651S600x600Q85.jpg

1064812550036355651S600x600Q85.jpg

and the door:

1062812899036355651S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the cabin above on Deck 9, but it gives you a sense of the window and door:

1077580764036355651S600x600Q85.jpg

I just want to add that the deck 8 aft/corner cabins do NOT have the big, round, window but they do have the single door...only the deck 9 aft/corner cabins have that big, round, window. Deck 8 aft/corner balconies are a bit larger than the deck 9 aft/corner balconies. The only other comment I would make is that the deck 8 and 9 aft/corner balconies are predominantly sunny balconies, so that is something to consider if too much or too little sunshine is a factor in your decision. :D

I guess it wasn't meant to be...1402 and 1404 are both gone now. That's the way it goes when you book through a TA. Both of them were available when I made my decision... But this was a group booking and I just went along with the group. I'm still very happy with our cabin and there will be a balcony for us in the future....hopefully an AFT one! We'll be platinum after this cruise so we might even get a discount. :cool:

Thanks for all your help Bonnie.

I guess it wasn't meant to be...1402 and 1404 are both gone now. That's the way it goes when you book through a TA. Both of them were available when I made my decision... But this was a group booking and I just went along with the group. I'm still very happy with our cabin and there will be a balcony for us in the future....hopefully an AFT one! We'll be platinum after this cruise so we might even get a discount. :cool:

Thanks for all your help Bonnie.

You are quite welcome. You will love your promenade-view cabin! I can honestly say that in all my cruises I've had almost every category of cabin at one time or another and not once has the type of cabin impacted any of my cruises in a negative way! I am always just thankful to be on the ship! :D