Aft cabin selection-Liberty of Seas

swiss

Quite the quandry here! 8712 is less covered, but the JS cabins are so much larger than the E cabins! How many passengers will be in the cabin? If more than 2, I'd opt for one of the JS cabins, but thats me ;). Have you sailed in a Voyager-class or Freedom-class aft before? Are you aware of the superstructure in the back? The higher you go, the less you notice the superstructure in your view. I don't think any of the deck seven aft balconies get much sun as they are all covered by deck eight (although they do get SOME sun) and I think the deck eight balconies are mostly UNcovered. So, if getting sun is your primary objective, then the small cabin on deck eight (8712) would be the one. Good luck deciding though! :D

I have sailed on Mariner and had aft D1 1692 and we loved it. It will be just my wife and me. We have 8712 booked and based on what you are telling me we will stay with our cabin.

Thanks so much for your quick response and help-Jim

I have sailed on Mariner and had aft D1 1692 and we loved it. It will be just my wife and me. We have 8712 booked and based on what you are telling me we will stay with our cabin.

Thanks so much for your quick response and help-Jim

Well it sounds like you've got yourself a plan then! ;) I think you'll be satisfied with 8712. The cabin will be about 4 feet shorter than 1692 was, but with only two passengers you will be fine. Enjoy that awesome balcony! Do you remember how you could look over the railing of 1692 onto the outer part of the balcony below you? Well, the folks on deck nine will be able to do that to you on 8712, but it is that lack of coverage that gives you your sunshine, so it's the sacrifice you make. I've found that most aft balcony passengers are not spending their time spying on the folks below them. If they happen to look down and see them they will say "hi" but otherwise they are mostly just enjoying the view of the wake. :D And having sailed aft, you already know how wonderful that view truly is!

Well it sounds like you've got yourself a plan then! ;) I think you'll be satisfied with 8712. The cabin will be about 4 feet shorter than 1692 was, but with only two passengers you will be fine. Enjoy that awesome balcony! Do you remember how you could look over the railing of 1692 onto the outer part of the balcony below you? Well, the folks on deck nine will be able to do that to you on 8712, but it is that lack of coverage that gives you your sunshine, so it's the sacrifice you make. I've found that most aft balcony passengers are not spending their time spying on the folks below them. If they happen to look down and see them they will say "hi" but otherwise they are mostly just enjoying the view of the wake. :D And having sailed aft, you already know how wonderful that view truly is!

I will trade the smaller cabin for the large balcony any day. I booked a D1 on Oasis next year. I will miss not being able to book an aft cabin on that ship. I have less than 70 days to go and I am envisioning seeing that beautiful wake already.

Jim

I will trade the smaller cabin for the large balcony any day. I booked a D1 on Oasis next year. I will miss not being able to book an aft cabin on that ship. I have less than 70 days to go and I am envisioning seeing that beautiful wake already.

Jim

Yep, I have a D1 hump on Oasis! I will miss my aft view, but am willing to make that horrible sacrifice to sail on that amazing ship! ;):D Our friends are going to be directly across the hall from us in a Central Park View balcony, so we will have that to entertain us as well as our hump balcony. When are you sailing on Oasis? I have 10 months to go.

Yep, I have a D1 hump on Oasis! I will miss my aft view, but am willing to make that horrible sacrifice to sail on that amazing ship! ;):D Our friends are going to be directly across the hall from us in a Central Park View balcony, so we will have that to entertain us as well as our hump balcony. When are you sailing on Oasis? I have 10 months to go.

We are sailing December 4,2010 on an 8th floor D1.Please send a review not only on the ship but the hump cabin and balcony.

Thanks again-Jim

Hello all! We've booked our first aft balcony on LOS (7410) There are 3 of us, myself, my dad and DD (22). We use the balcony as a second room as dad wakes up very early and he likes to read while the rest of us are still sleeping, and when we girls are changing and dad doesn't want to have to go find somewhere else to wait while we do our hair and makeup. I picked the room with the pullman so if the sofa bed is opened we can still walk out onto the balcony without climbing over someone. However from reading this thread, it appears that the balconies with the sofa beds are big enough so the open sofa isn't an issue, is that correct? If so, would it be better to switch to one of those rooms? Maybe higher up?

Also, which would be better, upgrading to a non aft JS or GS or staying in this room? (assuming little or no price differential)

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Mary

Edited by Happy_Traveler02

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

we just booked 1702 (while on Oasis) for July 4th on LOS... I was kinda suprised by the price $3700 for 2 people, including taxes and fees.... is this normal, or a bit high? I'll be checking for price drops of course, but I'm not sure if this is a good deal, or if I'm paying too much... an input is appreciated =)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, another cruiser from DE..just down the road in Middletown. Have a question..sailing on the FOS in April. It will be my kids (24 & girlfriend and 29 and her husband) first cruise. I have rooms 9704 for son and 9404 for daughter booked - I'm in 9403... from reading I noticed that the two rooms are different... How do the two rooms compare? Should I try for aft rooms on different decks? Thanks for the information...

we just booked 1702 (while on Oasis) for July 4th on LOS... I was kinda suprised by the price $3700 for 2 people, including taxes and fees.... is this normal, or a bit high? I'll be checking for price drops of course, but I'm not sure if this is a good deal, or if I'm paying too much... an input is appreciated =)

Seems high, we paid $that for 3 in April, but it is a holiday and summertime prices are high for whatever reason.

Hi, another cruiser from DE..just down the road in Middletown. Have a question..sailing on the FOS in April. It will be my kids (24 & girlfriend and 29 and her husband) first cruise. I have rooms 9704 for son and 9404 for daughter booked - I'm in 9403... from reading I noticed that the two rooms are different... How do the two rooms compare? Should I try for aft rooms on different decks? Thanks for the information...

9704 and 9404 are identical, but mirror images, to each other. Below I have attached 3 photos of 9404. These two cabins (9404 and 9704) have the smallest balconies of the aft balconies, but they are still larger than a side balcony and are nice and roomy balconies with awesome views. If you moved one cabin over to 9706 or 9406 you'd get a larger balcony and a double sliding door. I also attached some photos of 9406 (the last 2 photos).

You could have the best of both worlds if you moved your kids from 9704 to 9406 and then you would all be closer together and you'd have two balconies side by side. Otherwise, I think you will enjoy what you've currently booked just fine. Just don't expect to have all of you out on one balcony at the same time. Freedom is awesome! Enjoy!

2265295590036758896ikiixX_ph.jpg.addbb3f8feb86d4a83ee08289fadfa84.jpg

2039509430036758896odlRwV_ph.jpg.784418c80c736c140fb29d7f99b11b98.jpg

2468123560036758896TKQoso_ph.jpg.2f335c67840d53562e2ebb74236ed139.jpg

2052060450078130403mEAJmb_fs.jpg.ff6acddcbd2c7ffc7cd8ea0bd016c467.jpg

2010145570078130403eZFrZC_fs.jpg.6c5e24cddcfdb976fdced1baa3f7e9fe.jpg

• 1 month later...

We were so lucky when we were assigned an aft JS cabin(Voyager) on our first cruise. We didnt know there was any difference untill we got on board. The space that we had with our 2 kids was amazing. Our 2nd cruise was in a mid ship mini-suite on Princess.

I have just booked our 3rd cruise. We are coming home ro RCI. We have 1702 confirmed but I have just seen that 1700 has come available and have emailed my TA to grab it. From reading all your wonderful posts on this thread I think this will be a great move for us. Our kids are now 10 and 7. Seeing the photo of the opened sofabed really made up my mind for me. (Thank you for that photo).

Lets hope we get 1700. It will be like having a JS again.

Will keep you posted.

We were so lucky when we were assigned an aft JS cabin(Voyager) on our first cruise. We didnt know there was any difference untill we got on board. The space that we had with our 2 kids was amazing. Our 2nd cruise was in a mid ship mini-suite on Princess.

I have just booked our 3rd cruise. We are coming home ro RCI. We have 1702 confirmed but I have just seen that 1700 has come available and have emailed my TA to grab it. From reading all your wonderful posts on this thread I think this will be a great move for us. Our kids are now 10 and 7. Seeing the photo of the opened sofabed really made up my mind for me. (Thank you for that photo).

Lets hope we get 1700. It will be like having a JS again.

Will keep you posted.

1700 OR 1702 is a win/win either way! ;):D 1700 is the best cabin with a darned good balcony and 1702 is the best balcony with a darned good cabin! So no matter what you end up with, you have hit the jackpot! There is truly no loser between either of these two locations!

Bonnie: hope you get back here, I have to say "Million Thanks" for your Voyager photos, can't tell you how many times I have posted your link and used the photos to pic our cabin. We are now converted aft lovers, thanks to you and other smart people;) We have had 8692 and next up ...woohoo...7388 for Thanksgiving...thanks again!!!!:D Here's DH on 8692 in our current best kept secret...aft hammocks!!!

Edited by BecciBoo

2nk83le.jpg

Woo hoo!!!! This is AWESOME! :D You've given me a GREAT idea for my upcoming OASIS cruise! We have an extended hump balcony and this hammock idea should work there just as well as on the aft balcony! How do you attache the hammock? Yeah baby! I am going to get me a "Hump Hammock"! :D Thanks for the idea BecciBoo!

Has anyone stayed in 7552?

We've booked it for our honeymoon

I am assuming you are referring to Liberty of the Seas, right? 7552 is a standard E2 balcony. You are near the forward stairs which will be convenient for you to go to any shows in the big theatre, and for accessing the Royal Promenade. The cabin will be roomy enough for only two of you. Your balcony will have the standard 2 upright chairs and a small table. I posted some photos below that would be the same as your cabin. Have a great wedding and honeymoon! :D

e2.gifDeluxe Oceanview Stateroom Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), sitting area (some with sofa bed), private balcony and private bathroom. Rates vary from deck to deck. (200 sq. ft., balcony 53 sq. ft.)

2117825330037122791S500x500Q85.jpg2217649680037122791S500x500Q85.jpg

2803452860054370918S500x500Q85.jpg

I am assuming you are referring to Liberty of the Seas, right? 7552 is a standard E2 balcony. You are near the forward stairs which will be convenient for you to go to any shows in the big theatre, and for accessing the Royal Promenade. The cabin will be roomy enough for only two of you. Your balcony will have the standard 2 upright chairs and a small table. I posted some photos below that would be the same as your cabin. Have a great wedding and honeymoon! :D

e2.gifDeluxe Oceanview Stateroom Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), sitting area (some with sofa bed), private balcony and private bathroom. Rates vary from deck to deck. (200 sq. ft., balcony 53 sq. ft.)

2117825330037122791S500x500Q85.jpg2217649680037122791S500x500Q85.jpg

2803452860054370918S500x500Q85.jpg

Only a week a way now!

Bonnie: On Freedom class the hammock will work on side or aft, but on Voyager I'm not sure. Its been too long since we were in a side balcony and I never noticed any beams to hang it from. Aft balconies have all those beams and the supports for the glass dividers which we tied the nylon rope to, but since the side dividers on Voyager are all metal, there may not be any free standing beams to hook onto. But aft is no problem. We will never cruise aft without the hammock, it rocked big time. We fought over the darned thing all the way back home. Next time, we have 7388 and we're taking two;)

Bonnie: On Freedom class the hammock will work on side or aft, but on Voyager I'm not sure. Its been too long since we were in a side balcony and I never noticed any beams to hang it from. Aft balconies have all those beams and the supports for the glass dividers which we tied the nylon rope to, but since the side dividers on Voyager are all metal, there may not be any free standing beams to hook onto. But aft is no problem. We will never cruise aft without the hammock, it rocked big time. We fought over the darned thing all the way back home. Next time, we have 7388 and we're taking two;)

I am talking about an extended hump balcony on Oasis, not a Voyager-class. It is probably more like Freedom than Voyager. But, I will probably pass on the hammock then, and just request a lounge chair instead. but, I will have a huge aft JS on Explorer NEXT spring and you bet we will be packing a hammock! :D

I know they all have glass dividers though and the frames of these are what we used...I say go for it. Our hammock rolls up into a small ball, get one like that and you're good to go. Also, if anyone is interested in doing it on Vger, after looking at your photos again, we had a deck 6 balcony and the upper decks are glass so the hammock should work 7 and up side balconies as well. Those metal beams for the glass dividers are really strong and can hold over 200 lbs up.

Edited by BecciBoo

Another question about Vger afts Bonnie. Our 7388 will have the pullman for Todd's daughter (SD), but will the small loveseat open up also, we may rather put her there than on top of us(she's 18). And I think it is the loveseat not the full couch in there, right? In 8692 it was the loveseat. But we noted in 1688 which is a D1 it was full couch. I assumed the E1 7388 is just loveseat. Thanks, Bec

Another question about Vger afts Bonnie. Our 7388 will have the pullman for Todd's daughter (SD), but will the small loveseat open up also, we may rather put her there than on top of us(she's 18). And I think it is the loveseat not the full couch in there, right? In 8692 it was the loveseat. But we noted in 1688 which is a D1 it was full couch. I assumed the E1 7388 is just loveseat. Thanks, Bec

7388 has the loveseat and unless they have changed it over the years, it does NOTopen into a bed.

This is a great thread! DH & I booked an aft JS (1406) on Liberty - my only hesitation is the noise from the cafe above. Those who have stayed in these suites, could you let me know what the noise level was like? Scraping chairs, heavy walking?

Thanks!!