Has anyone else noticed Carnival's new suggested "Formal Dress" criteria?

Beave8920

While I was doing some research on my E-Doc's for my cruise next month, I just happened to read the "Formal Dress" policy....which I had to re-read cause I thought it was a joke (see photo).....it states:

SUGGESTED DRESS CODE - CRUISE ELEGANT DRESS CODE:

Men - dress slacks, dress shirts - we also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear a suit, tie or tuxedos, by all means!

Ladies - cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses - if you wish to show off your evening gowns, that is great!

Now I checked my hard copy that I printed several months ago and it is a change from the printed copy which has an advertisement on. So this is definitely a very recent change......

Check the current Carnival webpage - under your E-Doc's, page three, left column.....I checked with a couple of reputable CC'ers and they don't have the change, but this is the wording on both my upcoming 5 day and 8 days Carnival cruises......Can anyone else confirm they have this wording on their e-docs?

100_3926.jpg.7b3593ecee2b232604986de64b99c1ff.jpg

100_3927.jpg.bb8c1d7a23797e21f5fdd4ed71e8d856.jpg

The same section on my e-docs (printed a couple weeks ago) has "bon voyage gifts and services". I can't find any reference to attire in my documents. Carnival's online "things to know" guide still has the previous attire outline. Interesting that they appear to be dumbing down the experience.

I just downloaded and printed my e-docs yesterday. There is nothing in them making reference to what you have stated! Page 3 left references "Bon Voyage Gifts & Services" including the fact that formal wear is available for rental.

I just downloaded and printed my e-docs yesterday. There is nothing in them making reference to what you have stated! Page 3 left references "Bon Voyage Gifts & Services" including the fact that formal wear is available for rental.

:confused: That is so wierd......my printed copy has the "Bon Voyage" ad as well, but the online page has what I've shown in the pic......and I can't find anyone else who has this wording....am I in the Twlight Zone!:eek:

I hope the "new" policy is for real. The biggest reason for formal night (IMHO) is the sale of photos.... BIG PROFIT !

And why do you suppose they build ships and sell cruises? What possible reason could a company have for doing such things.

I guess they only sell excursions so you can learn about new places.

They only sell drinks so you won't get thirsty.

Take away profits and we're all back to living in caves.:mad:

Dan

:confused: That is so wierd......my printed copy has the "Bon Voyage" ad as well, but the online page has what I've shown in the pic......and I can't find anyone else who has this wording....am I in the Twlight Zone!:eek:

Mine has only the Bon Voyage ad, nothing about dress code. I notice that you and Woodey, who had the same dress code message as you, is also on the Elation 2-4 saililing with you. Maybe a test market of this idea by CCL?

I just re-printed my e docs because I added an excursion. Mine has the Bon Voyage info in that area.

I could take or leave formal night. We have always attended it and dressed formally as suggested...black suit for dh, gown for me but I wouldn't shed a tear if they did away with it.

I guess I'm one of those "dumbed down" cruisers.

I don't know why everyone is worried about what the dress code states and where it is stated, it isn't followed anyway, and Carnival doesn't enforce it.

You say Carnival doesn't enforce it and they pretty much don't. They shouldn't have to when dealing with adults, but that's a different issue.

You also say it isn't followed anyway and that is completely false when talking about 7 day or longer cruises. [i don't know about 3 and 4 day cruises]

I have been on 14 Carnival cruises. On every one of them formal night dress was properly observed by 80% to 95% of all in the dining room.

Enforcement does not change a thing, You are still responsible to keep your word and respect the wishes of the cruise line and your fellow pax.

I wear a tux to formal nights on all cruise lines. If Carnival did away with formal nights it would not bother me at all. But as long as they have them and we [You and I and all others] agree to follow the dress code by purchasing a cruise fare under their conditions, I will keep my word and apply the good manners I've been taught.

Dan

You say Carnival doesn't enforce it and they pretty much don't. They shouldn't have to when dealing with adults, but that's a different issue.

You also say it isn't followed anyway and that is completely false when talking about 7 day or longer cruises. [i don't know about 3 and 4 day cruises]

I have been on 14 Carnival cruises. On every one of them formal night dress was properly observed by 80% to 95% of all in the dining room.

Enforcement does not change a thing, You are still responsible to keep your word and respect the wishes of the cruise line and your fellow pax.

I wear a tux to formal nights on all cruise lines. If Carnival did away with formal nights it would not bother me at all. But as long as they have them and we [You and I and all others] agree to follow the dress code by purchasing a cruise fare under their conditions, I will keep my word and apply the good manners I've been taught.

Dan

I absolutely agree with you Dan...I would not go to formal night not wearing a suit unless they changed the rules...I would eat in the Lido or Pizza instead...iI Feel t is disrespectful to others who take the time to get Properly Prepared for the Evening

Dan

Back the truck up.....I didn't say that people shouldn't follow the dress code, just that they don't. Reality is, if Carnival doesn't enforce said dress code there are people who will choose not to follow it. I personally feel that persons not dressed appropriately should be turned away from the dining room. If they were, then 100% of the passengers dining in the dining room on formal nights would be dressed appropriately, not 80% to 95%. Does it ruin my evening or my cruise that they are not,...NO, but I do view it as disrespectful...I also think if you are going to have rules and codes of conduct they have to be enforced or they are worthless.

The dress code for formal night is not enforced so there might as well not be one.

I BTW follow the dress code, you really shouldn't make assumptions.

Yeah that!

Who cares if formal night is not enforced. People who want to dress up should and those that don't will still enjoy their vacation. I don't see it as disrespectful if people don't dress up. It's an outdated practice and should go down like the titanic.

My edocs have the old information. I also agree with Embre that it is disrespectful to not dress appropriately for formal nights. It is only 2 nights on the cruise that you are supposed to dress up, every other night and all day you can dress like a slob :eek:

Archived