Okay, I didn't want to bring this up, but...

Alright, I wasn't going to talk about this on this board, but decided that maybe people need to know. On our last cruise on the Serenade we had bed bugs! From the very first night we weren't sleeping good. The first morning when we got up, I noticed a couple little drops of blood near where my husband had been sleeping. I just assumed that he had scratched himself or something. The next day I noticed a mark on my side of the bed, but still no big deal. The next morning we woke up and I opened the curtains to see if we were docked. My husband then says, "Hey look at these little bugs". I looked down and saw them. My heart started racing a little bit and I said, "you don't think they are bed bugs do you"? Neither of us had ever seen one before. Anyhow, I kept watching them, there were maybe about 6 that we could see. I then saw one go into the seam of the mattress. I felt pretty sure at that point that they were bed bugs. We were both pretty freaked out. I thought there is no way that I can sleep in this room another night. But we weren't sure what to do. Or if we would even be believed. So, we decided to catch a couple in a cup and take them to guest relations. I figured that if we brought them to them, they would have to do something. We talked to a guy out front and he sent us back to see the housekeeping director. He was very apologetic. They moved us from our oceanview to a balcony. Offered to wash and press all of our clothes and steam our luggage, which we jumped on because I was scared we might bring them to the new room or back home with us. He also offered for us to go see the ship's doctor - which we didn't do. 2 days later, they sent us champagne and chocolate covered strawberries.

We weren't happy about the bed bugs, but at least felt like RC had done something to try to make amends. But, I wanted to post this because I have read on this board about checking the mattress seams for stains. Our mattress didn't have any stains, because I did check the first day. I think the best way to tell would be the small blood streaks on the sheets. Or first thing in the morning when there is light in the room to look for them. Hopefully this doesn't ruin cruising for anyone. We have gone ahead and booked another cruise. This can happen anywhere on land or sea. But, hopefully we won't ever have another run in with them!

How awful! That would totally freak me out! Who are the people who are bringing these things aboard--don't THEY know they have them???? So gross!

They probably do NOT know. How many of us stay in a hotel the night before cruising? Perhaps the folks who had the stateroom before the OP unknowingly had a few bedbug eggs on their clothing from the hotel... and there you go!

I can see why you might have hesitated to post this, but I'm glad you did, and also heartened to see both your reaction and that of the cruiseline. You were justifiably freaked out, but didn't go "off the deep end" (sorry, bad pun) and RCCL did exactly the right thing to "make it right." How refreshing to see that even a bad situation can work out reasonably well in the end! Thanks for sharing.

Alright, I wasn't going to talk about this on this board, but decided that maybe people need to know. On our last cruise on the Serenade we had bed bugs! From the very first night we weren't sleeping good. The first morning when we got up, I noticed a couple little drops of blood near where my husband had been sleeping. I just assumed that he had scratched himself or something. The next day I noticed a mark on my side of the bed, but still no big deal. The next morning we woke up and I opened the curtains to see if we were docked. My husband then says, "Hey look at these little bugs". I looked down and saw them. My heart started racing a little bit and I said, "you don't think they are bed bugs do you"? Neither of us had ever seen one before. Anyhow, I kept watching them, there were maybe about 6 that we could see. I then saw one go into the seam of the mattress. I felt pretty sure at that point that they were bed bugs. We were both pretty freaked out. I thought there is no way that I can sleep in this room another night. But we weren't sure what to do. Or if we would even be believed. So, we decided to catch a couple in a cup and take them to guest relations. I figured that if we brought them to them, they would have to do something. We talked to a guy out front and he sent us back to see the housekeeping director. He was very apologetic. They moved us from our oceanview to a balcony. Offered to wash and press all of our clothes and steam our luggage, which we jumped on because I was scared we might bring them to the new room or back home with us. He also offered for us to go see the ship's doctor - which we didn't do. 2 days later, they sent us champagne and chocolate covered strawberries.

We weren't happy about the bed bugs, but at least felt like RC had done something to try to make amends. But, I wanted to post this because I have read on this board about checking the mattress seams for stains. Our mattress didn't have any stains, because I did check the first day. I think the best way to tell would be the small blood streaks on the sheets. Or first thing in the morning when there is light in the room to look for them. Hopefully this doesn't ruin cruising for anyone. We have gone ahead and booked another cruise. This can happen anywhere on land or sea. But, hopefully we won't ever have another run in with them!

Ohhhh why did you hesitate to post this?

You had a problem any of us could have had. You calmly resolved it with the cruise line, and you both were satisfied at the end. This is how one should do things on a cruise ship. Problems can always occur. It is just a question if both parties are reasonable and are willing to cooperate.

While I feel sorry for your inconvenience I must also applaud you the way you reacted. A cruiser like you gives me hope that not everything is "lost at sea". ;)

Happy cruising in the future. :)

Who are the people who are bringing these things aboard--don't THEY know they have them????

Um..how do I say this delicately...maybe YOU'RE bringing them aboard yourself? You know, you spend the day on the beach, there are bugs in the sand, you bring them onto the ship with you...

I'm just saying..........

I'm sorry that happened but you would not believe how many homes have bed bugs. I own a carpet/upholstery cleaning company and we probably do 3-4 mattress a month. We use a chemical called "MICROBAN X-580". If you have a local cleaning store that sell cleaning supplies for carpet cleaners you will find it there( available to anyone no license needed) but they do make several diff varieties so ask for the one that kills bugs) This stuff works GREAT, it will kill everything (except you) on/in mattress including any virus including HIV. We will be taking a bottle with us next week on the Sovereign to spray the room down just to have peace of mind.

the things people will do to get an upgrade!:rolleyes:

Obviously, I am only joking, just could not resist.

Glad things got sorted out ok for you and hope that you will continue to cruise (bed bug free) in the future.:D

RCI may have handled this well after the fact but I'd prefer they check the mattresses for bugs themselves before clearing them to be used by unsuspecting passengers. This is totally gross. What's next lice and fleas.

I've spent many a night in hotels and have never encountered bed bugs. I'd expect to see these in some sleezy $40 a night hole in the wall but not in any decent place.

I for one don't want to be sleeping with and getting bit by these:

http://www.uos.harvard.edu/ehs/pes_bedbug.shtml

the things people will do to get an upgrade!:rolleyes:

Obviously, I am only joking, just could not resist.

Glad things got sorted out ok for you and hope that you will continue to cruise (bed bug free) in the future.:D

We actually could laugh about it a day or so later. We would jokingly say "bed bugs" under our breath whenver we thought service was a little slow. Sort of like we were going to threaten them with blabbing about our situation. We actually never told a soul on the ship about the bugs. I was worried that it would ruin other people's vacations. Funny thing is, I had always wanted to book a balcony, but didn't want to pay that much more. We got one, just not the way we wanted to!

Other than the bug situation, we had a great time on the cruise.

Um..how do I say this delicately...maybe YOU'RE bringing them aboard yourself? You know, you spend the day on the beach, there are bugs in the sand, you bring them onto the ship with you...

I'm just saying..........

We actually had this thought since we had stayed the night before our cruise in a hotel in San Juan. But, there would be no way those little critters could have made their way from our luggage to the bed and been biting us that night and so many of them. I figure the people before us had to have brought them on. They probably didn't know that they had.

The name of the product used in consignments shops is called "Steri-Fab"

It can be bought at Salvation Army or places like that. It is kinda expensive, but it comes in like a gallon jug and then you mix it down and put it in a spray bottle so it goes a long long way. Maybe some places will sell you a smaller amount.

The name of the product used in consignments shops is called "Steri-Fab"

It can be bought at Salvation Army or places like that. It is kinda expensive, but it comes in like a gallon jug and then you mix it down and put it in a spray bottle so it goes a long long way. Maybe some places will sell you a smaller amount.

Good idea. I'll take some on my next cruise with a big label on it BEDBUG SPRAY. Then after I use it I'll walk down the hallway, knock on doors, and ask my fellow passengers if they would like to borrow my spray. Should cause quite a stir.

I'm sorry that happened but you would not believe how many homes have bed bugs. I own a carpet/upholstery cleaning company and we probably do 3-4 mattress a month. We use a chemical called "MICROBAN X-580". If you have a local cleaning store that sell cleaning supplies for carpet cleaners you will find it there( available to anyone no license needed) but they do make several diff varieties so ask for the one that kills bugs) This stuff works GREAT, it will kill everything (except you) on/in mattress including any virus including HIV. We will be taking a bottle with us next week on the Sovereign to spray the room down just to have peace of mind.

Do you spray just the mattress or also the carpet, couch, etc....?

Also, after you strip the bed to spray, do you ask for replacement linens and blankets?

Thanx,

Erika

I would suggest spraying all areas and give it about an hour to dry while you are enjoying a cocktail by the pool.:) as far as the linen goes I would check over the linens looking for bug (they are visable) If you see none then replace the after the mattress dries if not alert your cabin stewart and have them change them **ALSO REMEMBER TO TIP YOUR CABIN STEWART ALITTLE MORE IF THEY ARE GOING THAT EXTRA MILE. We usally give them $20 at the start of the cruise and then we tip according to their attitude and attenetion given to us at the end.

Why are they called bed bugs?

Bed bugs commonly hide in mattresses, carpets, behind peeling paint or wallpaper, and in crevices in wooden furniture (like a bed's headboard or the picture frame above it). The bugs are nocturnal and typically bite people while they sleep, usually just before dawn.

Why are bed bugs reappearing?

Bed bugs were all but eradicated with broad-spectrum pesticides such as DDT, which killed a wide variety of bug types. Concerns about health and the environment led to many of these broad-spectrum pesticides being removed from the market. Today, pest control methods are more focused, designed to kill a particular species (like cockroaches). Bed bugs, since they are not specifically being treated for, are slipping through the cracks.

Where did bed bugs come from?

Bed bugs travel surprisingly well, and are quite comfortable stowing away in luggage and even clothing. The bugs are increasingly found in urban hotels in America. Since they tend to stow away and travel with humans, any place that sees a number of world travelers is susceptible. Pilots, wealthy people, and business travelers can bring bed bugs along unwittingly.

What can you do to avoid bed bugs?

Look around. Bed bugs are large enough to see. Look particularly under the mattress and in the seams, in and around the bedframe, and along any cracks or peeling paint in the wall or picture frames. Check in the cracks of any wooden furniture, particularly antiques. You can also spot bed bugs droppings, which may be tinged with blood.

What should you do if you are bitten by bed bugs?

Bed bugs bite exposed skin and leave behind small, red, itchy welts. The good news? Bed bugs are not generally thought to transmit any diseases. The damage is more emotional than physical. The CDC does say that bites from bed bugs can be treated with topical emollients or corticosteroids. You can also take an oral antihistamine

Archived