Just off Mariner - Comments & Observations

GMoney

Yes.....I'm still waiting to hear all about Cinnamon Bay. The last time we went to Trunk Bay' date=' there were no chairs.[/quote']

This is quite disturbing if it's true. Our friends told us that chairs are available at Trunk Bay. I don't want to head all the way there and find no chairs. Better continue researching.

No Omelette or egg station!!!????:eek: :eek: :eek: What!!!!?????

It's been a couple of years since we went to Trunk Bay, but I sure didn't see anybody with chairs there. That may have changed since then, though. We sat on our towels.

Patrick .....can you confirm that about the omelette station!?

Yes.....I'm still waiting to hear all about Cinnamon Bay. The last time we went to Trunk Bay' date=' there were no chairs.[/quote']

Sorry - I posted a long response on Cinnamon this morning, but it seems to have disappeared. Let me try again.

Cinnamon Bay is easy to get to on your own, and offers an unparalleled day at the beach. Here's what I suggest to get there:

> Disembark the ship early in the day to maximize your time.

> Proceed to the taxi stand at Havensight. This has now moved to the edge of the mall by the road; you can no longer get a taxi right at the ship. This was new to me.

> Take the taxi to Red Hook. Cost is $10pp / one-way. Some argued the price should be $5pp, but to no avail. You may have to wait a bit til there's a group big enough to fill a taxi. The taxi operation here was the worst I've seen in some time, so just be patient.

> The ride takes about 20 minutes with no traffic.

> The ferry to Cruz Bay runs every hour starting at 8am.

> Once you reach the ferry terminal, buy your tickets. They are $10pp RT.

> The ferry ride takes about 20 minutes.

> Once you reach Cruz Bay, take a taxi to Cinnamon. The price is $14pp RT. Again, you may have to wait until a taxi is fully loaded before you go.

> The taxi ride is abut 15 - 20 minutes, depending on how many times the taxi stops.

> Once you arrive at Cinnamon, there is no entry fee.

> Chairs can be rented for $7. You can rent kayaks and floating mats too.

> There are bathrooms with showers.

> There is a small store that sells snacks (chips, water, soda, candy, ice cream) and other sundries. They take credit cards.

> The beach is a long thin strip. It wasn't deserted by any means, but it wasn't packed either. Shade is available.

> Leave plenty of transit time to get back. You can also take the ferry back to Charlotte Amalie if you prefer for just $5 more pp.

I know the prices were $28, $38 and $55. I think the corresponding minutes were 60, 90 and 120.

Yes, that's a big hike, too. Used to be $25, $35 and $50. And the $50 package was definitely for 150 minutes.

I certainly hope that you are wrong about the minutes!

So that's how all our pictures showed up in our folder! We too couldn't figure that out when we were on the Mariner 11/07. It was nice though having all your pics together.

We too were wondering how out photos kept showing up in our folder. They took some at Cococay, getting off the ship at ports, with the Captain, etc and never asked for our Seapass, yet the pictures were always in our folder. I guess the "face recognition" software would be the key, and it seems to work, at least for my family's mugs:p .

I also live in so cal...I am glad a v-class ship is coming to do the Mexican Riviera. It means that while all the other pax go into the ports, I can lay out on deck, and work on my tan...it also means that I can afford to do 2 cruises a year if I want. I would take the MR cruise for the ship, not the ports.

Bill

I also live in so cal...I am glad a v-class ship is coming to do the Mexican Riviera. It means that while all the other pax go into the ports, I can lay out on deck, and work on my tan...it also means that I can afford to do 2 cruises a year if I want. I would take the MR cruise for the ship, not the ports.

Bill

me too.....cruise for the ship, not those ports....been there done that...never a change, same ol' same ol'!

My family was also on this sailing of Mariner, along with two other families. Our group of 10 had a great cruise. We especially loved the wine bar, Vintages, and the Wig and Gavel pub. We dined at both Chops and Portofino and found both to be excellent values.

I complimented one of the photoshop workers about the new system, which was excellent. She said this was the last cruise with that new system - it was a pilot program and RCI hasn't determined if they will convert or not.

Beatlemania and the ice show were very good and we were happy to be able to watch the BCS game in the 19th hole.

Drink prices were quite reasonable and we won't bother to bring booze again -it didn't even get used. We loved the wine package - it was the first time we tried that. Our only complaint was that we selected the Diamond package because of several of our favorite wines which were only available on that package. Unfortunately by the third night one of the wines was "out" and by the end of the cruise all two or three others were unavailable. They offered no substitution. Next time I'd get the basic package and order an occassional bottle from the wine list. We had nine people who drank 41 bottles of wine, so we feel like they should have had ample stocks of all wines offered in the package.

All in all, it was a fantastic week.

Archived