All things Independence of the Seas

Just got off the ship Dec 20th, concierge is Raj Bhugwath.

Cheers

Thanks George - I've heard great things about Raj

Do you know anything about the shower caddy in the cabins? I bring my own shampoo but not soap.....

We were on Indy last month. They provide bar soap in addition to what's in the shower caddy.

Thanks for the reply - I know its a silly question....until you get on the ship and you have no soap for eight days :eek:

One less thing to pack

Does anyone know why IOS is changing the departure time to 5:00? Got the email today with boarding from 11-3:30 and new departure time of 5?

It seems that a few ships have had their departures moved up by 30 minutes. I think this has happened to Oasis and Allure too. I have no idea what the reason is.

I thought I saw Oasis of the Seas departing this weekend at 4:30. I thought perhaps it was a one-time anomaly. I hadn't considered it was an actual schedule change.

It has been going on for a few weeks. Maybe the dock workers want to get home earlier at night. Who knows?

From what I understand Jamie is the CD right now on Indy and will be it until the end of February. He is substituting for Joff Eaton, but people are saying that Joff is still not ready to return and someone else will be taking over from Jamie.

Joff left the ship in October at the end of his contract and was never due to return to Independence. He has a short contract on Allure before taking out Anthem in April which will be his permanent ship.

Jamie is covering for Tim Connor who left during the transatlantic in November as his wife was ill. It's very sad that he hasn't returned and doesn't appear to be as he really was very good. Jamie, as I have read on posts both here and on Facebook, divides opinion. For me, after 10 days with Tim as CD, Jamie was not nearly as good. It was like he had to force it constantly and I felt like that even when he was next to Tim as activities manager. Tim was always highly visible throughout the ship and did a lot to interact with guests. I didn't see Jamie once the entire cruise when he wasn't introducing or closing a show. However, the CD for me doesn't make or break a cruise, just merely my observation.

I am sure regardless you will have a great cruise.

From what I understand Jamie is the CD right now on Indy and will be it until the end of February. He is substituting for Joff Eaton, but people are saying that Joff is still not ready to return and someone else will be taking over from Jamie.

I am looking forward to a new experience with yet another CD.

Are you cruising on Indy during February? DH and I are sailing on the Valentine's Day embarkation.

Leigh Xuereb from Explorer is coming to Indy in March. You'll like him.

Formal nights on this ship did you see men in just nice slacks, shirt and tie? We are flying and taking snorkeling gear and limited on packing space for clothes. My husband doesn't even own a jacket and feel it's silly to buy one to wear once or twice. I'm not asking what the dress code is, just if people actually can go to dinner in the MDR in these clothes on formal nights.;)

Formal nights on this ship did you see men in just nice slacks, shirt and tie? We are flying and taking snorkeling gear and limited on packing space for clothes. My husband doesn't even own a jacket and feel it's silly to buy one to wear once or twice. I'm not asking what the dress code is, just if people actually can go to dinner in the MDR in these clothes on formal nights.;)

Yes, he can go to dinner on formal night in dress shirt & slacks & tie.

Yes, you can. They are NOT going to throw you out or ban you from the dinning room! My husband has always brought his suit for formal nights, but he is saying that this year, he is not. It takes up too much room in the suitcase. Years ago, everyone was formal on formal nights--Tuxs and gowns! But with more and more families sailing, cruise lines are easing up on formal nights, some even eliminating them. With the advent of Dynamic Dining, formal nights will end. The Grande restaurant will be considered a "formal" venue, but I'm sure even there they wont throw anyone out, as long as they are dressed within reason (no shorts, etc) I would NOT invest in a jacket for your hubby if you don't think he will ever get more wear out of it!

How do you find who the CD will be during your cruise. I seen where Leigh will be coming to IOS in March. I sail on the May 31, 2014 out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Also, what all does the compass include? I seen where you have to get in lines to get tickets to the ice show. How do they announce this? I want to be ready :D

How do you find who the CD will be during your cruise. I seen where Leigh will be coming to IOS in March. I sail on the May 31, 2014 out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Also, what all does the compass include? I seen where you have to get in lines to get tickets to the ice show. How do they announce this? I want to be ready :D

The Compass is like your daily newsletter, listing everything happening that day. I always carry one with me in my bag and check it throughout the day for activities, etc. As for tickets for the ice show, when I sailed The Independence last Feb, they announced that they would be giving out the tickets to the show in the Promenade at a set time. I may have seen it in the Compass also. I scooted down and got them one day while my hubby was napping! No hassle!

I am sailing the Oasis on Feb 14th this year, and I had to reserve all my shows ahead of time online.

Hi there! My Dh and I just upgraded to an aft Jr Suite for Mar 14th sailing. So happy! Do any of you remember the type of coffee server in a Jr Suite? Single cup server (like Kuerig) maybe?

We had the same aft cabin on the Freedom last Spring. Having a coffee pot in the cabin, plus the extra-large closet and balcony, clenched the deal for us!

Thanks for any info.

Hi there! My Dh and I just upgraded to an aft Jr Suite for Mar 14th sailing. So happy! Do any of you remember the type of coffee server in a Jr Suite? Single cup server (like Kuerig) maybe?

We had the same aft cabin on the Freedom last Spring. Having a coffee pot in the cabin, plus the extra-large closet and balcony, clenched the deal for us!

Thanks for any info.

It's not a Kuerig or anything close to it.

If it is anything like the ones on the Liberty it is just like a regular 8 cup coffee brewer but it only does one cup. The coffee filter pack that they give you is large and designed for an 8 cup brewer and is a challenge to get it to fit into the mall brewer. Hope you like your coffee strong.

If I purchase alcohol in port what us the limit and procedure? I really need some guavaberry from Sint Maartens!

Jess

The ship has no limit. Any liquor you puirchase on a port stop will be held for you until the end of the cruise.