All things Independence of the Seas

We are sailing 22nd of February on a 5 day caribbean cruise.

The roll call is only us so far. So I wonder if this is an "unpopular" cruise?

How will FLL, Falmouth and Labadee be at this time of the year?

The weather will be just fine, upper 70's to low 80's....sometimes a bit warmer; generally beautiful seas.

It isn't unusual for roll calls to be light so far out....and as Bob said, short cruises don't attract as much attention from cruisers as longer ones. It isn't an 'unpopular' cruise.....your ship will be full, I would expect.

Ok, just that the other indy cruises that month have more activity in their roll calls, even the shorter ones :)

80's sounds good. What about Miami?

South Florida can vary widely. There's a good chance it will be in the 60's and 70's, but it can also be in the 40's and 50's.

We are sailing 22nd of February on a 5 day caribbean cruise.

The roll call is only us so far. So I wonder if this is an "unpopular" cruise?

How will FLL, Falmouth and Labadee be at this time of the year?

Keep posting in your roll call so that it stays towards the top of the thread. You could also look to see if maybe another has been started. I'm traveling in March and it's a quiet roll call so far also, I think maybe 3 people. Also RC doesn't do a "meet and mingle" for 5 day so that could be another reason.

South Florida can vary widely. There's a good chance it will be in the 60's and 70's, but it can also be in the 40's and 50's.

Bob, no disrespect intended....but we live in S. Florida and it isn't very likely to be in the 40's or 50's and more likely to be in the mid to upper 70's or low 80's.

If it was January or early February in S. Florida, you might have an overnight temp that got into the low to mid 40's but by mid morning it would be 60 and getting warmer. It is different in the northern parts of Florida, where you could have frost warnings overnight, but then very friendly temps in the 60's during the day.

If you have a rainy day, it would be damp and that never is nice -- warm weather or cold....but then again -- many people who cruise in January or February are escaping the cold of the NE or the Midwest and to many of them 65degrees is warm enough to go in the pool.

People do get upset when they sail in January and February from FLL or Miami and it isn't in the 90's....but that generally won't happen.

Edited by Paulette3028

The weather will be just fine, upper 70's to low 80's....sometimes a bit warmer; generally beautiful seas.

It isn't unusual for roll calls to be light so far out....and as Bob said, short cruises don't attract as much attention from cruisers as longer ones. It isn't an 'unpopular' cruise.....your ship will be full, I would expect.

And if it isn't maybe we can all jump on board for a very good price!:)

Hello to you all! We will be enjoying our first cruise on the IoS this December and we are very excited! I wonder if there is anyone who can tell me what the ship will be like during this month; are there Christmas decorations and can we expect holiday-like events? And the weather! We will be on a 5 night sailing going only to Falmouth and Labadee--will we be okay bringing our suits? Were should we stay before our departure? Can anyone recommend a decent hotel? We are a family of 5 and have no need for fancy--I just want a place that includes breakfast. And what in the world will we do with our car??? Can you recommend any park and cruise locations or hotels with that offering? I know, I know, a lotta questions, a pain in the kiester.....but I surely do appreciate your help! Thanks in advance...

I sailed on the IOS in Feb 2014 for an 8 day cruise. It is a fabulous ship! You will love sailing her! I have cruised during December in the past, and usually the ships are all decked out for the holidays. Weather in the Caribbean at that time of year is generally 80s, and South Florida is very nice and warm then. When I sail out of Ft Lauderdale, I usually stay at the Renaissance Hotel at the Cruise Port. You can see the ships pull in right from your window. They have breakfast there, but we did not choose the package that included it, as we walk just down the street to Panera. For dinner the night before your cruise, we like to eat at the Bimini Boatyard right near the hotel. It is right on the waterway, and you can request to sit out on the deck, if you want ( if warm enough in the evening). I made reservations the month prior to arriving there, as we had a large party of us cruising, and wanted to make sure we got in, as it gets very busy. It has a fabulous bar! But one other place we dined at once that is also right across from the hotel, is The Culinary Institute. The students prepare and serve a wonderful meal. As for parking at hotel while you cruise, not sure about that, as we fly into Florida. I have also stayed at the Hilton, just down the street. The Embassy Suites is also nearby, and they do offer complimentary breakfast and an evening reception with complimentary appetizers and drinks. I hope this has helped.

I just came across this 6 minute video of a tour of Independence done by Joff Eaton, who at the time was the cruise director. It is a wonderful short way to get a look at some of the venues on board. We had a wonderful cruise on Indy in Feb 2015, even though we did not have Joff as the CD. He reminded me of the fun we had while on board.

I just came across this 6 minute video of a tour of Independence done by Joff Eaton, who at the time was the cruise director. It is a wonderful short way to get a look at some of the venues on board. We had a wonderful cruise on Indy in Feb 2015, even though we did not have Joff as the CD. He reminded me of the fun we had while on board.

Thanks for sharing

• 5 months later...
Once Upon a Time was one of the shows, then the Headliner on New Years Eve was a soul band which was very nice. Quest, as always ;) Love and Marriage, the late night Adult Comedy show - those are the usual. Ice Show (Freeze Frame) is a must, you should go get your tickets on day 2 (Sea Day) in the Promenade, the line is really long but it moves quickly.

Sorry, I didn't bring any menus or compasses, because since this was a Holiday cruise and they shifted the first formal night, I thought may be they shifted their entire schedule around.

Also, this was a 6 day cruise, but Indy rotates 6 and 8 day cruises, and I think some of the ports also differ. So if you are going on an 8 day cruise - it will be different for you.

Hi. Our family of 11 will be on Indy over NYE. Can you please tell me if they did anything special that night to celebrate. Last year we were on DCL Dream over NYE and had a blast. We will be ages 7-70. My kids will be 22 and 17. Thanks.

Does anyone know where to find the best collection of high-quality photos of Independence's public areas (bars, restaurants, promenade etc.)? This would be aside from google and the reviews that Spaniel Lover has done.

Try beyondships dot com.

Hi. Does anyone know what time the gym opens on Indy? Can I shower in there too? Are there rowing machines and tvs on each treadmill?

Thank you.

You can use showers in the Indy fitness center. Don't believe there are TVs on each machine, but there are TVs hanging from the ceiling. Don't know the operating hours, look for a recent posting of a Cruise Compass.

Hi. Does anyone know what time the gym opens on Indy? Can I shower in there too? Are there rowing machines and tvs on each treadmill?

Thank you.

The gym opens early....not sure if 6 or 6:30am....but it was always open before 7am (people were well into their workout already) when I would get to the gym this past February. All of the treadmills had TV's, because otherwise it is difficult for me to be 'amused while on a treadmill'...there were a few rowing machines, but not nearly as many as there were treadmills. There are shower facilities in the gym to use.

The gym opens early....not sure if 6 or 6:30am....but it was always open before 7am (people were well into their workout already) when I would get to the gym this past February. All of the treadmills had TV's, because otherwise it is difficult for me to be 'amused while on a treadmill'...there were a few rowing machines, but not nearly as many as there were treadmills. There are shower facilities in the gym to use.

Thanks so much! Hope its 6 am. Thanks you for all the information!