Norwegian Star, norovirus!!!!!!!!!

stevejohnsmith22

NCL does require food handlers permits and alcohol permits for all employees who regularly handle food and drink. No way they could get fill in staff permits in the middle of a cruise. (I am an RN, and I was asked if I had them when I applied to work for NCLA about 18 months ago).

I don't know about other states handle it, but both of those courses are very rigorous here in Washington State, and are not a shoe in to pass...

No doubt in my mind that there might be a virus on the Star and I do feel badly for those affected. I even have a couple of friends on that cruise. But OP seems more upset that he might have to help serving than he is about the virus.

NCL does require food handlers permits and alcohol permits for all employees who regularly handle food and drink. No way they could get fill in staff permits in the middle of a cruise. (I am an RN, and I was asked if I had them when I applied to work for NCLA about 18 months ago).

I don't know about other states handle it, but both of those courses are very rigorous here in Washington State, and are not a shoe in to pass...

oregon washington california and Az are about the only ones who require food handler permits but I think it more of a way of trying to prevent illegals working at restuarants than anyway else.

NCL is responsible for training its people who would issue the permits to the staff anway?

No doubt in my mind that there might be a virus on the Star and I do feel badly for those affected. I even have a couple of friends on that cruise. But OP seems more upset that he might have to help serving than he is about the virus.

you have no doubt or do doubt that there might be or might not be a virus?

a little conflicting?

Whether he has a problem serving the food or being serve by other staff members, the bottom line is if they are not doing this then co-workers are not eating which is not very nice. My guess is there are different rules in serving the staff vs serving passengers.

Have been doing a little research and once the last "act" of the virus has left you, it is stated that no one should prepare or handle food for 3 entire days so if staff members are sick, I hope they are falling these guidelines.

Also I read that although it is a sanitary thing, the leading foods that lead to Noro are raw seafood and salad materials.

I would be interested in finding out if people that get ill all did something similar or not. Regardless, you will not find me at the sushi bar and I might re-think the salads.

I know they have them..but that would just be for bacteria, and won't do much in our room. I thought the clorox or alcohol worked on the viral, or do I have it backwards? I use a lot of soap and water, before and after meals, but for wiping down things like our phone, our door knobs in our room..I assume that would be clorox wipes?

I bring Clorox wipes to wipe down the doorknobs, TV remote, phone, safe, etc., in the cabin.

NCL was the first line to add the hand sanitizers at the entrance to buffets and restaurants and has been very proactive in trying to hold down outbreaks.

The sanitation and training on all cruise ships exceed all but the very very best USA eateries. My wife has been in Public Health for many years in charge of inspections of local restaurants. Many is the time she has remarked how easy her job would be if the local restaurants met the same standards as cruise ships.

The problem is there are 3500 people on a ship which makes any virus easy to spread.

Am I the only one who thinks those sanitizers fool people into thinking they don't have to wash as much? I thought those didn't do anything for viral, just bacterial?

NCL was the first line to add the hand sanitizers at the entrance to buffets and restaurants and has been very proactive in trying to hold down outbreaks.

Am I the only one who thinks those sanitizers fool people into thinking they don't have to wash as much? I thought those didn't do anything for viral, just bacterial?

I'm sure it's the same passengers who "refuse" to use the sanitizers - they also think they don't need soap and water:eek:

Our last cruise on the Dawn, in October, had a Noro outbreak, you would never believe how many passengers "refused" to sanitize their hands as they re-entered the ship at ports:mad:

Staff cannot MAKE them sanitize their hands and then they are all touching the elevator buttons.

I know someone that won't use them..she says she never uses anything antibacterial. And to her credit I've known her since 1974, and she's never been sick. She's of the mind that she uses soap and water..lots of it and prefers that over an antibacterial. I imagine she isn't alone. She says if we all keep using it, soon it won't work. Everything will be resistant to it, and then what will we do.

I think HAL has been the most persistent. They wouldn't let people pick up a tray for the buffet, unless they put the antibacterial stuff on their hands. There were no if ands or butts. But even so, there was some illness.

Interesting to me is, we were on a Carnival cruise in November, and while the machines were there, they pretty much sat in the corner. No one even suggested we use them. And yet, you just don't hear about the Noro much on Carnival..at least I haven't.

I'm sure it's the same passengers who "refuse" to use the sanitizers - they also think they don't need soap and water:eek:

Our last cruise on the Dawn, in October, had a Noro outbreak, you would never believe how many passengers "refused" to sanitize their hands as they re-entered the ship at ports:mad:

Staff cannot MAKE them sanitize their hands and then they are all touching the elevator buttons.

I know someone that won't use them..she says she never uses anything antibacterial. And to her credit I've known her since 1974, and she's never been sick. She's of the mind that she uses soap and water..lots of it and prefers that over an antibacterial. I imagine she isn't alone. She says if we all keep using it, soon it won't work. Everything will be resistant to it, and then what will we do.

Interesting to me is, we were on a Carnival cruise in November, and while the machines were there, they pretty much sat in the corner. No one even suggested we use them. And yet, you just don't hear about the Noro much on Carnival..at least I haven't.

I do not like the anitbacterial but I do use them until I can "hit" the first restroom for soap and water. Better than nothing.

It's like the antibiotics in your system...too many and you are resistant to them. (And, today, on the news they are saying that cough medicines do not help coughs)!

I'm still trying to figure out the system (season) of noro on the ships BUT...surprisingly...we have had NO noro (thus far) when we cruise with a younger crowd (no, I am not the younger crowd). I'm still documenting;)

May have left myself open for "flames":D

I think HAL has been the most persistent. They wouldn't let people pick up a tray for the buffet, unless they put the antibacterial stuff on their hands. There were no if ands or butts. But even so, there was some illness.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm#2008

this is the outbreak list. It contains a few Carnival as well as Princess and Cunard(Carnival owned)...the Cunard outbreak was ETEC which is feces based....not nice....

Wasn't there a report of an outbreak on one of the Pride's? not showing on this list....

You are correct, but it does provide some peace of mind. the problem is not the sanitizers but the fact that they are not used correctly and not enough solution is provided. All reports say that you need a "quarter sized glob" (glob for lack of a better term). I have never seen a machined give half of that amount, and therein lies some of the problem with the sanitizers.

I am not saying don't use them. Along with proper, thorough hand washing they help in the spread of illnesses.

Guest Anorak33
after looking at the outbreak list, it does seem that NCL is dis-proportionally represented. I wonder whether the hand-washing machines gives people a false sense of security and they don't wash as often as they should?

I always get 2 or 3 dispensed blobs, enough to thoroughly wet both sides of my hands and between the fingers.

On Jewel last week they had crew with handheld sprayers doing passengers hands at the buffet line and also going on board the ship, as well as the round dispensers.

I didn't see any passenger avoid it, although I did hear a few moans and groans.

More cases of Noro on NCL? I haven't seen the figures but maybe NCL draw their passengers from a slightly different demographic group?

A group which is more inclined to carry/transmit Noro?

I can't see it personally though, depending on the cruise, its a slightly younger age group than say Holland America , yet a slightly older age group than Carnival as far as I can see.

Not many real old folks like on Cunard or Fred Olsen.

From what I have seen in the bathrooms its mostly much older folk and young kids who don't wash properly (Walkers NOT Washers), and both those groups can be bad in the buffet, both putting their hands in the food containers, occasionally even putting an item back when they didn't want it and changed their mind.

I don't do buffet. I don't push the elevator buttons with my fingers (use a knuckle) . I don't slide my hands down the handrails. I don't put my fingers near my mouth or eyes. I use a paper towel to open the washroom door on leaving. I wash properly and also use the sanitisers whenever possible. I never got sick on a cruise.

But several times I got badly sick after air travel, I stopped eating the airline food and I have never had the problem again.

I just wish that aircraft were as thoroughly cleaned as NCL ships, they are not, aircraft are disgusting!

We were just on NCL Jewel and although it was not as sparkling clean as some ships I have been on it was OK, and the crew worked hard with those sanitising sprays.

Don't think everyone boarding a ship is in excellent health. Some have colds, flues, even noro-virus. With a few grand at stake, they will attempt to enjoy their long scheduled vacations. Many quarantined passengers break their quarantines, do you not think they wouldn't board a ship being sick?

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm#2008

this is the outbreak list. It contains a few Carnival as well as Princess and Cunard(Carnival owned)...the Cunard outbreak was ETEC which is feces based....not nice....

Wasn't there a report of an outbreak on one of the Pride's? not showing on this list....

Thanks for the list. Does anyone know why NCL has more outbreaks than other lines???? According to that list NCL had 5 last year and Carnival and RCCL had 1 each.

But several times I got badly sick after air travel, I stopped eating the airline food and I have never had the problem again.

I just wish that aircraft were as thoroughly cleaned as NCL ships, they are not, aircraft are disgusting!

With so many reviews here stating " we got sick the first night or second day of the cruse" people could be getting the virus from the plane ride to the port. based on the incubation period of the Noro Virus they most likely got it before boarding the ship. Then they come on here and bad mouth the ship and the crew. The way I see it, if you are one of the first people to get sick on the cruise, you may be the one who brought it on the ship in the first place.

Thanks for the list. Does anyone know why NCL has more outbreaks than other lines???? According to that list NCL had 5 last year and Carnival and RCCL had 1 each.

Well it looks like Holland America had five too. I'm hoping our cruise on the Pearl is free from this in February but my husband and I just had it here in Minnesota so hopefully we wouldn't get it again. Not a nice way to spend a vacation.

That list is really not a complete list, since it only contains outbreaks that meet a minimum requirement.

Doing a count of passenger reported outbreaks in total however, the numbers tend to mirror the number of ships for each corporation in 2007 :

Carnival Corp: (Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Cunard) : 17 reported events

RCI (including Celebrity) : 4 reported incidents.

NCL: 7 reported outbreaks - more than RCI, but less than Carnival Corp.

It would make sense that Carnival, with the most ships, has the most reports of norovirus. NCL seems a little high considering it has the fewest ships of the big three, but it is still fairly low.

We have been very lucky. No noro has been reported on any of the cruises we have taken..and the crowd age doesn't seem to play into it that I've noticed. We've cruised with all age groups.

I did find NCL and HAL the pushiest about the anitbacterial..but then, they've had reasons to want to use it.

I do not like the anitbacterial but I do use them until I can "hit" the first restroom for soap and water. Better than nothing.

It's like the antibiotics in your system...too many and you are resistant to them. (And, today, on the news they are saying that cough medicines do not help coughs)!

I'm still trying to figure out the system (season) of noro on the ships BUT...surprisingly...we have had NO noro (thus far) when we cruise with a younger crowd (no, I am not the younger crowd). I'm still documenting;)

May have left myself open for "flames":D

My boyfriend and I just got off the Star on 1/19, and we have both been perfectly fine. I'm amazed that anyone can get a germ considering the proliferance of anti-bacterial wash resident all over the ship. You cannot enter any buffet food line without at least the choice of being sprayed. The little machines automatically dispense liquid and you can get as much as you want since they are motion activated. I wonder if the people who chose not to use it are the same ones who came down with the virus? We were more worried about getting something from the food and ice cubes we consumed ashore -- but unless you count a hangover, we had no health problems at all.

If anything, I found the folks using the gym to be less than conscientious; even though there was plenty of spray and towels, many people did not bother to wipe down the equipment after they used it. To me, that's just inconsiderate, as well as unsanitary.

Regardless, we had a great time on a beautiful ship, and I hope those of you who still have such an experience pending do not let these reports impair your good time. Just be diligent, and you should be fine.

Cheers,

NJBeachBabe

Archived