Jack's Shack and Town Report

legalwife

ok....so the consensus is definitely that Jack's Shack is more relaxed and not chaos??? Which is good for me. When you get off of the pier and take a left, how far is it down?

Is there anything in GT to do besides, horseback riding on the beach? Seems like a CCL exclusive port since they are the only ones who has ships coming in.

Hi I do know that it is NOT a CCL excluisive port as I have seen pics on FB of Princess' crew members at the bar.

That is so funny - cuz I also booked the b2b in February SPECIFICALLY for HMC (and of course GT as well).....will let you know how GREAT it was when I get back! Happy Anniversary! :D

I can't wait to hear how great GT is ...be sure sure to give me that report Froufie...I am looking forward to it! And thanks for the anniversary wishes!

i am so going to jack's even if i have to go alone...especially since my name is jill .... lol:D

it seems so much more relaxed than margaritaville...

is the walk ok for kids ages 6-16....? how much to rent snorkel gear/ are there vests available??

thanks guys

i am so going to jack's even if i have to go alone...especially since my name is jill .... lol:D

it seems so much more relaxed than margaritaville...

is the walk ok for kids ages 6-16....? how much to rent snorkel gear/ are there vests available??

thanks guys

We just walked to Jack's a week ago today with our sons 14 and 10 - no problem. Stay closer to the water where the sand is firmer and it's an easier walk. Our kids just wanted to swim, so we didn't rent any snorkel gear. Our sons enjoyed swimming down by Jack's much more than they did at the cruise port - it wasn't nearly as rocky. And we had a great time!

We just walked to Jack's a week ago today with our sons 14 and 10 - no problem. Stay closer to the water where the sand is firmer and it's an easier walk. Our kids just wanted to swim, so we didn't rent any snorkel gear. Our sons enjoyed swimming down by Jack's much more than they did at the cruise port - it wasn't nearly as rocky. And we had a great time!

thanks for the info kathy... it sounds like jacks is the place to be....

• 2 weeks later...

Jack`s was the highlight of our visit to GT

My wife and I stayed at MVILLE for about 30 minutes by the pool around 8:30am...then went to the last chairs on the beach until about 10am...yup walked down a beautiful beach about a quarter mile and went to Jack`s.

Topher was lovable...Jack was great and he was very pleasant to have a conversation with...The beach down there is much nicer...got a hat that I proudly wear!!!

Good drinks...good people...nice surroundings...doesn`t get any better than that!

We will be doing the same thing again on May 2011...

• 2 weeks later...

My cruise leaves Friday out of NYC (Carnival Miracle) and I'll be at Jack's on Monday!! I read this entire thread and am so excited to hang out here for the day, especially to see Topher. (By the way, to the poster who says the Obama's have a labradoodle, they don't. They have a Portuguese Water Dog). I look forward to sipping the rum punch or specialty cocktails and swimming with Topher.

I've seen a few people ask if there's anything for non-meat eaters but no one has responded. Is there fish? I guess I'll find out on Monday.

My cruise leaves Friday out of NYC (Carnival Miracle) and I'll be at Jack's on Monday!! I read this entire thread and am so excited to hang out here for the day, especially to see Topher. (By the way, to the poster who says the Obama's have a labradoodle, they don't. They have a Portuguese Water Dog). I look forward to sipping the rum punch or specialty cocktails and swimming with Topher.

I've seen a few people ask if there's anything for non-meat eaters but no one has responded. Is there fish? I guess I'll find out on Monday.

I went to jacks and couldn't wait to leave. You get what you pay for. It is a small quiet place...and has nothing to offer. For some reason...maybe he was having a bad day...but jack had nothing to do with us. I quickly left. I'm thinking Jack has an interest on this web board. I have posted on it more then once a negative report on Jack and each time it has been deleted. I'm wondering if others feel the same way I did.....I'm wondering if he has received other bad reports but they just get deleted. I'm guessing I didn't take my wallet out fast enough for him. Stay at Margarrittaville. They have many places you can go to for a quiet time...

I went to jacks and couldn't wait to leave. You get what you pay for. It is a small quiet place...and has nothing to offer. For some reason...maybe he was having a bad day...but jack had nothing to do with us. I quickly left. I'm thinking Jack has an interest on this web board. I have posted on it more then once a negative report on Jack and each time it has been deleted. I'm wondering if others feel the same way I did.....I'm wondering if he has received other bad reports but they just get deleted. I'm guessing I didn't take my wallet out fast enough for him. Stay at Margarrittaville. They have many places you can go to for a quiet time...

Hi Mike,

Just wondering what you were expecting and what you felt was missing? Would love to know the reasons for your disappointment!

Thanks!

...and I don't think your negative reports were all removed by Cruise Critic!:D:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1245397&highlight=

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1155120

Also not sure you noticed this 'cruise critic banner' in the Notices area on top of the port boards?:

Notices

Please post your review or recommendation ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!

So the threads you started were probably removed cuz of the above, not due to anything you wrote!

Hi Mike,

Just wondering what you were expecting and what you felt was missing? Would love to know the reasons for your disappointment!

Thanks!

Was expecting a friendly joking jack.....someone who welcomed us and was willing to talk and tell us about the island... I saw a guy who didn't want to give us the time of day....Someone with no patients as we tried to decide what drinks we wanted....someone who should have said..."hey...you really should try this drink...its from the island and people love it..." instead of rolling his eyes and walking away from us...as if he was busy. I was expecting a shack that had a little more then maybe 10 chairs.... I was expecting a friendlier atmosphere.

Was expecting a friendly joking jack.....someone who welcomed us and was willing to talk and tell us about the island... I saw a guy who didn't want to give us the time of day....Someone with no patients as we tried to decide what drinks we wanted....someone who should have said..."hey...you really should try this drink...its from the island and people love it..." instead of rolling his eyes and walking away from us...as if he was busy. I was expecting a shack that had a little more then maybe 10 chairs.... I was expecting a friendlier atmosphere.

Wow - thanks for the response - and sorry to hear about your experience! I can understand why you may not have been impressed - and I am hoping, like someone else mentioned, that this was just an off day? Sounds atypical to what others have been reporting and I can't imagine people saying such good things about the place if that is the reception they were getting.

Hoping yours was a 'lone' incident" ....and will keep reading more 'reviews'! Thanks.

I don't blame him. Probably no one was sick that day.

I don't blame him. Probably no one was sick that day.

LOL! It took me a minute to get this. :p

Seriously though, it sounds like Jack may have been having an off day. When we were there he was very talkative and was definitely forthcoming with the drink recommendations. Is it as fancy as Margaritaville? No, but if you're looking for that type of atmosphere I wouldn't go to Jack's. It's really casual and laid back. I know we'll certainly return to Jack's the next time we visit Grand Turk.

When DW and I were there in March we also docked at 7:30. We walked around for awhile and got down to Jack's a little before 10:00 and sat on a bench in front looking out at the water. We weren't there long when a voice welcomed us and it was Jack himself. We sat at the bar and Jack talked to us as he opened up. Janet came a little later and we had a very enjoyable day sampling the drinks and food and enjoying Jack and Janet's company.

Oh yes, he certainly does! I was nursing a tequila-induced hangover the next day. ;)

Came on this morning to check up on you Stacey, by the way after you had that shot from Jack did your arm hurt?

Archived