Canada For Non-Canadians - Put Your Tips Here!

Ephraim

Vinegar for fries is NOT malt vinegar. And Canadian vinegar is different than American white vinegar. Always thought it was interesting to see that they sell salt & vinegar chips in the stores in the US, but somehow it never made the jump to french fries.

No, no, no, Ephraim: St. Hubert is a Chalet BBQ wanna be (on Sherbrooke in NDG)!!:)

I've been to Chalet BBQ on both Sherbrooke and the one that used to be on Decarie. And there is the Swiss Chalet wanna be, Au Coq... which has the worst fries and sauce of any of them. Well, Chalet is older then St. Hubert. So, I guess that Chalet is the original. Then St. Hubert. Then Swiss Chalet and finally Au Coq and after that Scores. Does it show that Canadians love their barbeque chicken?

Shall we start the argument of which is better... pizza with the toppings on top or the cheese on top?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to read this thread. I always suspected a lot of things in Australia and Canada were similar and this thread confirms it.

I recognised similarities in spelling, sctrict regulation, medical systems, government and of course the other things we have both inheritied from Britain like smarties and vinegar on chips - though we usually only put it on proper british style chips, not US style french fries.

I also noticed quite a few things that were listed as Canadian when we have the same customs here. I guess when you have such a dominant neighbour as the US, anything different to them would seem uniquely yours. I think all English speaking countries borrow ideas off each other when it comes to all aspects of life so we have mostly ended up very similar. I would guess that the US is probably the most unique as it would look to other parts of the US more often than to other countries for ideas.

Thanks for all the interesting info - have to say though that when I visited Calgary all I needed to know was yeeeehaaaaaarrrrr and I got on fine :)

Interesting to read this thread. I always suspected a lot of things in Australia and Canada were similar and this thread confirms it.

I recognised similarities in spelling, sctrict regulation, medical systems, government and of course the other things we have both inheritied from Britain like smarties and vinegar on chips - though we usually only put it on proper british style chips, not US style french fries.

I also noticed quite a few things that were listed as Canadian when we have the same customs here. I guess when you have such a dominant neighbour as the US, anything different to them would seem uniquely yours. I think all English speaking countries borrow ideas off each other when it comes to all aspects of life so we have mostly ended up very similar. I would guess that the US is probably the most unique as it would look to other parts of the US more often than to other countries for ideas.

Thanks for all the interesting info - have to say though that when I visited Calgary all I needed to know was yeeeehaaaaaarrrrr and I got on fine :)

My husband has been to Australia a couple of times and he thought it was very similar to Canada.

You should go to Whistler (aka Whistralia) and you'll wonder if you are back home! I read somewhere that 25% of the seasonal workers at Whistler are from Australia, but I've been out for dinner there and everyone at the restaurant was Australian.

Viv

I love this thread but it is making me homesick for Prince Edward Island. I have spent my summers there since childhood. There are a number of things I must have when I go to PEI. I love cetain foods that just can't be matched in the US. I love the lobsters, mussels, sausages, lemon meringue pie, scallops, PEI potatoes, and of course Canadian tea. I also think the beaches on PEI are the absolute best. They are clean, not crowded and just great to relax on. I love crossing the Confederation Bridge (I think it is the largest bridge to go over water that freezes) and seeing that red clay soil. The view is spectacular.

Hi, brand new to CC. Been to Montreal over 20+ times and love the city. Big fan of St. Hubert Chicken, Winnie's, Hurley's Irish Bar, and Beaver Tails! And I only speak a few words of French. My Great Grandfather ( on my mother's side) was born in Saskatchewan in the 1880's. I do get the NHL Centre Ice package and love your tv ads... Molson :), Tim's, Rona, etc.

The only time I have been to Toronto was when Air Canada canx our flight to Hartford from Montreal. Nice airport in Toronto, I think the new section just opened when we xfered in April, 2008. Would like to check out Ottawa on our next trip up.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. Canada is a great country.

Hi, brand new to CC. Been to Montreal over 20+ times and love the city. Big fan of St. Hubert Chicken, Winnie's, Hurley's Irish Bar, and Beaver Tails! And I only speak a few words of French. My Great Grandfather ( on my mother's side) was born in Saskatchewan in the 1880's. I do get the NHL Centre Ice package and love your tv ads... Molson :), Tim's, Rona, etc.

The only time I have been to Toronto was when Air Canada canx our flight to Hartford from Montreal. Nice airport in Toronto, I think the new section just opened when we xfered in April, 2008. Would like to check out Ottawa on our next trip up.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. Canada is a great country.

Did you visit Quebec City? I assure you, it's worth the 2.5 hour drive (or there is a mini cruise... ok, probably more a ferry than a cruise - never tried it myself but sounds good : http://www.evasionplus.com/en/croisieres/croisieres-montreal-quebec.php).

>>Did you visit Quebec City? I assure you, it's worth the 2.5 hour drive (or there is a mini cruise... ok, probably more a ferry than a cruise - never tried it myself but sounds good : <<

No, never had a chance to visit Quebec City, but always wanted to go. They do have tours leaving from Dorchester Square in Montreal. The time of year we go is April or after Labor Day when all the tourists are gone;).

Thank you for the link in English:D. We have taken the amphib tour from the Old Port and is fun:).

>>Did you visit Quebec City? I assure you, it's worth the 2.5 hour drive (or there is a mini cruise... ok, probably more a ferry than a cruise - never tried it myself but sounds good : <<

No, never had a chance to visit Quebec City, but always wanted to go. They do have tours leaving from Dorchester Square in Montreal. The time of year we go is April or after Labor Day when all the tourists are gone;).

Thank you for the link in English:D. We have taken the amphib tour from the Old Port and is fun:).

I would definitely choose September over April for visiting Quebec City but it's nice anytime.

Colleen - thanks for the clarification. But don't you just love all the holidays in Nfld! :D

These extras may be listed as holidays, but we all don't get them. Some are mainly for municipal and provincial goverments (offices) - stores and everything else are generally open.

Just in case you get involved in sports conversations, here's a quick glossary of Canadian sports terms:

Habs (short for "Les Habitants"), Le Bleu-Blanc-et-Rouge (the Blue, White & Red): Nicknames for the Montreal Canadiens hockey team

Leafs, Buds: Nicknames for Toronto Maple Leafs (another hockey team, longtime rivals of Les Habs)

Icing, boarding, slapshot, wrist shot, spin-o-rama, hip check, cannonading drive, neutral zone trap, power play, five-on-four, five-on-three, five-hole, short side, deke, Stanley Cup: all hockey terms. Just nod as if you understand.

Raps: Toronto Raptors (basketball)

Jays: Toronto Blue Jays (MLB - American East Division)

CFL: Canadian Football League. Played on a longer, wider field than American football, one more player per team, anyone in the backfield can move before the snap, in overtime each team gets a chance to scrimmage from the 35 and score, no fair catch rule, only three downs so much more pass-oriented than the American game, game can't end without a play even if clock counts down to zero before the snap, the prize at the end of the season is the Grey Cup

Argos, Boatmen: Toronto Argonauts (Canadian football)

Argooooooooooos: Called out in any sports arena when the action gets boring. To fans of the Argos, this means "I would rather be watching the Argos." To all other Canadians, this means, "Looooosers."

Bonspiel: a curling tournament with a lot of serious alcohol consumption.

Hurry hard: What you hear during bonspiels. The captain of the team is telling his underlings to sweep harder in an effort to make the curling stone glide straighter.

Hockey especially has a grammar and syntax all its own--two guys can "talk hockey" over a couple of double doubles, and the only words a non-hockey person will understand are "the", "a/an", and "eh".

you forgot to explain that a double double is a Tim Hortons coffee with 2 cream and 2 sugar....

AND just to be picky in the CFL everybody in the backfield EXCEPT the quarterback can move before the snap..I am old enough to remember Wilkie doing the slight head bob to draw the defence offside....but pointing this out makes me a hoser right

GO OILERS

you forgot to explain that a double double is a Tim Hortons coffee with 2 cream and 2 sugar....

AND just to be picky in the CFL everybody in the backfield EXCEPT the quarterback can move before the snap..I am old enough to remember Wilkie doing the slight head bob to draw the defence offside....but pointing this out makes me a hoser right

GO OILERS

Tom Wilkinson... now there's a name from the past... Yep, you are a hoser, eh!:)

I didn't explain double-double because I saw cuisine had been extensively covered in previous posts.:D

How do I order a black cofee with nothing in it at Tim Horton's?

I love the coffee but can't seem to get away from the sugar.

Thank you!

K, I'm glad you asked because I'm seriously thinking there is a conspiracy going on at Timmie's! You ask for one thing and you get something entirely different.

I'm seriously considering saying "Oh, just give me what you want, I'm not going to get what I want anyways!" lol.

• 2 weeks later...

pop Soft drinks. What many Americans call soda.

Shreddies A brand of breakfast cereal, vaguely resembling Chex in the United States.

Kraft Dinner, or KD macaroni and cheese.

back bacon Canadian bacon. Sometimes rolled in peameal.

whitener powdery stuff to put into coffee or tea. Called "non-dairy creamer" in the United States.

lineup a line.... "There was a really long lineup for tickets to last night's hockey game."

icing sugar powdered sugar

table (verb) to bring up for discussion, as in a session of Parliament.

Robertson screws Screws (for metal or wood) with a square hole in the top rather than a straight or X-shaped one. They'd be popular in the States except that Henry Ford wanted exclusive rights to them, and Robertson (the inventor, a Canadian) refused to sell.

"chip trucks" These are like the van driven by the ice cream man, only they sell French fries. They are most ubiquitous on the roads to "cottage country."

department store

• The Bay (the Hudson's Bay Company, the oldest company in North America and possibly the world - it was incorporated on May 2, 1670)

weather conversations Virutally any conversation will inevitably include a brief discussion of the weather - it is such a dominant force in Canadians' lives.

the cottage (Central Ontario) Every weekend during the summer, southern Ontarians go in droves from Toronto and its environs to their second homes (ranging from campers to great big houses with all the amenities) in the "cottage country" of Muskoka and the Haliburton Highlands.

the camp (Northern Ontario/Nova Scotia) Northern Ontario's version of the cottage.

cottage country (winter style) Every weekend during the winter, the cottage country people go back to cottage country to go snowmobiling. Gas stations are just as likely to be filling snowmobiles as cars or trucks.

the chalet (Quebec) Every weekend during the summer, southern Quebeckers go in droves from Montreal and its environs to their cottage country (usually the Laurentians; the Eastern Townships; Burlington, Vermont; Lake Champlain, New York; or Plattsburgh, New York).

the cabin (British Columbia, Newfoundland & Labrador) "The cabin" is where British Columbians head to on the weekends, not the cottage. Canadian author Charles Gordon wrote an entire book on this phenomenon - it's all the same place but called differently in different parts of the country. "The cottage", "the lake", etc. but in B.C., it's only "the cabin".

block heaters Cars have electrical plugs sticking out from under the hoods to prevent engines from freezing when it's -40!

Winnie the Pooh In August, 1914, Lieutenant Harry Colebourn, a Veterinary Officer with the 34th Fort Garry Horse of Manitoba, was travelling by train from his home in Winnipeg to enroll in the Canadian Army Veterinary Corps in Valcartier, Quebec.

Travelling by Canadian Pacific Railway, he had to change trains at White River Bend in Ontario, where he noticed a man further along the station platform with an American black bear cub tied to the arm of the bench on which he was seated.

He struck up a conversation and, learning that the man was a trapper who had shot and killed the cub's mother, Colebourn offered him $20 for the young bear -- the trapper eagerly accepted the offer and the cub was taken to Quebec, where she became the mascot of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade.

In December 1914,the 2nd Brigade was preparing to move to France in great secrecy. Colebourn decided it was unsafe to take her into battle; so, while passing through London on the way to France on December 9th, 1914, he visited London Zoo and asked them to care for the cub until his return, which he optimistically anticipated would be no longer than two weeks.

Of course, 'that war to end all wars' was not to end so quickly. It was not until 1918 that Colebourn returned safely to London. Realising that the bear, now known affectionately by her keepers and visitors as Winnie, was happy and content in her new home, he decided to leave her there.

pop Soft drinks. What many Americans call soda.

Shreddies A brand of breakfast cereal, vaguely resembling Chex in the United States.

Kraft Dinner, or KD macaroni and cheese.

back bacon Canadian bacon. Sometimes rolled in peameal.

whitener powdery stuff to put into coffee or tea. Called "non-dairy creamer" in the United States.

lineup a line.... "There was a really long lineup for tickets to last night's hockey game."

icing sugar powdered sugar

table (verb) to bring up for discussion, as in a session of Parliament.

Robertson screws Screws (for metal or wood) with a square hole in the top rather than a straight or X-shaped one. They'd be popular in the States except that Henry Ford wanted exclusive rights to them, and Robertson (the inventor, a Canadian) refused to sell.

"chip trucks" These are like the van driven by the ice cream man, only they sell French fries. They are most ubiquitous on the roads to "cottage country."

"Chip trucks" in BC these are trucks that haul wood chips and sawdust to

pulp/paper mills to be used to produce "pulp ( material produced from wood chips before it is converted to paper)"

department store

• The Bay (the Hudson's Bay Company, the oldest company in North America and possibly the world - it was incorporated on May 2, 1670)

weather conversations Virutally any conversation will inevitably include a brief discussion of the weather - it is such a dominant force in Canadians' lives.

the cottage (Central Ontario) Every weekend during the summer, southern Ontarians go in droves from Toronto and its environs to their second homes (ranging from campers to great big houses with all the amenities) in the "cottage country" of Muskoka and the Haliburton Highlands.

the camp (Northern Ontario/Nova Scotia) Northern Ontario's version of the cottage.

cottage country (winter style) Every weekend during the winter, the cottage country people go back to cottage country to go snowmobiling. Gas stations are just as likely to be filling snowmobiles as cars or trucks.

the chalet (Quebec) Every weekend during the summer, southern Quebeckers go in droves from Montreal and its environs to their cottage country (usually the Laurentians; the Eastern Townships; Burlington, Vermont; Lake Champlain, New York; or Plattsburgh, New York).

the cabin (British Columbia, Newfoundland & Labrador) "The cabin" is where British Columbians head to on the weekends, not the cottage. Canadian author Charles Gordon wrote an entire book on this phenomenon - it's all the same place but called differently in different parts of the country. "The cottage", "the lake", etc. but in B.C., it's only "the cabin".

block heaters Cars have electrical plugs sticking out from under the hoods to prevent engines from freezing when it's -40!

Winnie the Pooh In August, 1914, Lieutenant Harry Colebourn, a Veterinary Officer with the 34th Fort Garry Horse of Manitoba, was travelling by train from his home in Winnipeg to enroll in the Canadian Army Veterinary Corps in Valcartier, Quebec.

Travelling by Canadian Pacific Railway, he had to change trains at White River Bend in Ontario, where he noticed a man further along the station platform with an American black bear cub tied to the arm of the bench on which he was seated.

He struck up a conversation and, learning that the man was a trapper who had shot and killed the cub's mother, Colebourn offered him $20 for the young bear -- the trapper eagerly accepted the offer and the cub was taken to Quebec, where she became the mascot of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade.

In December 1914,the 2nd Brigade was preparing to move to France in great secrecy. Colebourn decided it was unsafe to take her into battle; so, while passing through London on the way to France on December 9th, 1914, he visited London Zoo and asked them to care for the cub until his return, which he optimistically anticipated would be no longer than two weeks.

Of course, 'that war to end all wars' was not to end so quickly. It was not until 1918 that Colebourn returned safely to London. Realising that the bear, now known affectionately by her keepers and visitors as Winnie, was happy and content in her new home, he decided to leave her there.

Added another definition for chip truck ( probably common accross Canada)

:):)

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder to our American friends. To use a debit card at stores in Canada it must have the NYCE logo (or the Interac logo.) Only NYCE has an agreement for debit card transactions in Canada. (Visa and MasterCard transactions will be processed as credit cards in Canada unless they are also on the NYCE network.)

Archived